OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,774 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, miliuco said:

@telepati

What is the reason of igfxrpsc=1 igfxfcms=1 boot args? Your config.plist seems okay to me.

You have " Failed to load image (1/1) Resources\Image\Acidanthera\GoldenGate\Background.icns prefix:Acidanthera\GoldenGate icon:0 - Not Found" in OC log, recheck you have all required icons in the theme folder.

It for high performance IQSV to IGPU.

Its normal because official resourse does not have Background.icns.

Actually, I think this problem is related to DisplayPort. I recently replaced my monitor. My previous monitor was using mDP connection and there was no such problem. It has such a problem with the DisplayPort connection on the new monitor. 

I must check my IGPU port settings I guess.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Henties said:

@5T33Z0 Ever since I started hacking many moons ago I have always enjoyed getting my hands dirty at the coal face, OCAT will not change that.

Greetings Henties

You can do what you do how you want to do it - old school style. But don't discredit an app just because it can do what you do manually in 5 seconds.

@5T33Z0 I will certainly not and have not discredited OCAT. OCAT in my opinion serves the need for those "hackers" that do not bother too much about what is going on behind the scenes or is it curtains ? I am just not one of those. As I wrote earlier I like to get my hands dirty and fully accept that others prefer not to.

Regards Henties

I don't really want to prolong this subject as it is probably off topic, but in @Henties defence he did not make any disparaging remarks about OCAT as a matter of fact @MorenoAv said he used it in the past and did not have a very good experience editing his config.plist with it. That is what I gathered from his post. So to take the heat out of the conversation.....'Different courses for different horses' comes to mind. :)

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 4

For finishing this, it was my one and only experience with OCAT, I didn't say that the tool was the culprit but my ignorance in using it... 

For that reason anyone can use what one want and if the tool is useful continue to use it...

Thanks

• Like 1

I tested boot-arg igfxrpsc=1 with my KBL-R (i5-8250U / UHD620) HP Envy x360 15m laptop (SMBIOS MBP15,2, Open Core 0.7.6, Big Sur 11.6.1, WEG 1.5.5, Lilu 1.5.8).  After several trials with each, I think GeekBench5 Metal performance for my laptop is better without with the boot-arg.  My laptop doesn't boot with igfxfw=2, but that's to be expected.  If there are other tests that I should perform to confirm the value of igfxrpsc=1, I'm open to suggestions.

GB5 Metal without igfxrpsc=1

Spoiler

1301608348_ScreenShot2021-12-07at8_12_29PM.png.f5891a7991879d511c201e8cc903ea2f.png

GB5 Metal with igfxrpsc=1

Spoiler

520954735_ScreenShot2021-12-07at5_41_14PM.png.6f1c1d421832f771d4b1a4051f313846.png

Edited by tonyx86
Metal benchmark is better WITH boot-arg igfxrpsc=1
  • Like 1

It's true that in the past OCAT was problematic but that is normal with new tools. Now, as of today, it's mature and very stable. I have all popular configurators available and I notice OCAT is the one, that almost all times it's the first configurator updated when necessary after a new commit that requires it.  For does who screw up or mess their config in the past: it won't happen anymore if you use the included EFI backup tool.  And for those, like me, who most of the time updates right after a new commit: it's the most convenient one because of how fast it's being updated and well maintain. The developer it's open minded and always welcome new ideas that enhance further more his tool. It reminds me to hackintool which is a beast of a tool and an all star one by the way.

Edited by Tecnicaso Rico
  • Like 4

IMHO - Regardless of which "tool" or manual OC update process you use, it is wise to configure a test version of your EFI on a bootable USB drive.  Only after confirming proper operation of the new EFI should the EFI be transferred to your production boot drive.  I don't trust any EFI until I've thoroughly tested it in a sandbox.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tonyx86 said:

I tested boot-arg igfxrpsc=1 with my KBL-R (i5-8250U / UHD620) HP Envy x360 15m laptop (SMBIOS MBP15,2, Open Core 0.7.6, Big Sur 11.6.1, WEG 1.5.5, Lilu 1.5.8).  After several trials with each, I think GeekBench5 Metal performance for my laptop is better without the boot-arg.  My laptop doesn't boot with igfxfw=2, but that's to be expected.  If there are other tests that I should perform to confirm the value of igfxrpsc=1, I'm open to suggestions.

GB5 Metal without igfxrpsc=1

Hide contents

GB5 Metal with igfxrpsc=1

Hide contents

One of your benchmarks is for OpenCL and the other is for Metal.

I made the test in my rig and there was a slight improvement using igfxrpsc=1.

From 4275 to 4314

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@theroadw Your powers of observation are incredible!  I will rerun to be consistent with my benchmarks.  Thank you!

EDIT: @theroadw  I updated my post to ensure consistent METAL benchmarks.  As you indicated, performance is better with boot-arg igfxrpsc=1.  Thank you.

Edited by tonyx86
  • Like 2

On 12/7/2021 at 4:06 PM, Henties said:

@5T33Z0 I will certainly not and have not discredited OCAT. OCAT in my opinion serves the need for those "hackers" that do not bother too much about what is going on behind the scenes or is it curtains ? I am just not one of those. As I wrote earlier I like to get my hands dirty and fully accept that others prefer not to.

Regards Henties

This entire discussion is off topic. Move it to:

• Like 1

Is there any reason I might get constant reboots after the first update stage? My AMD machine boots and runs fine but updating to 12.1 just doesn’t want to happen.
After the first reboot I choose macintosh hd then not long after it reboots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

My experience was that it rebooted two or three times and took a long time after the first boot after updating. All is fine after that.

I tried 4-5 times and each time it would reboot. It never gets to XX time remaining.
I can’t attach my config on my phone but the latest config is in the clover general discussion thread.

Hello everyone, I am facing a strange issue and your feedback is welcome.

@vit9696 I cannot seem to be able to remove the NVRAM parameter that contains the OpenCore version.

% nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:opencore-version
4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:opencore-version	UNK-000-0000-00-00

% sudo nvram -d 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:opencore-version
Password:

% nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:opencore-version        
4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:opencore-version	UNK-000-0000-00-00

It seems the variable cannot be deleted with simple user or sudo, I still cannot remove it.

Rebooting with OpenCore bootloader and selecting to clean NVRAM does not seem to solve the issue.

Any idea if there is a way to be able to remove it, via some OpenCore parameter or even UEFI Shell perhaps?

Thank you in advance.

11 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

Is there any reason I might get constant reboots after the first update stage? My AMD machine boots and runs fine but updating to 12.1 just doesn’t want to happen.
After the first reboot I choose macintosh hd then not long after it reboots.

I had the same issue in my FX-6300 hackintosh too. Unable to update to Monterey 12.1 from 12.0: It's Macintosh HD always got reboot loop. The only solution is got updated Macintosh HD from other hackintoshs, then it can reboot 3 times successfully to newer version. No such an issue in my Ryzen 1700X hackintosh with both OpenCore 0.7.6 and Clover 5141.

[Solved on 2021-11-22]
This  issue was solved by the following method:

(1) OpenCore 0.7.5

(2) SMBIOS=MacPro7,1
(3) SecureBootMode=j160 To get updated Macintosh HD at first
(4) SecureBootMode=Disabled To reboot for 3 times and complete update process without reboot loop now !

[Waiting for solution]
I don't know why using the similar method of HWTarget in Clover 5142 did not work for me.

Clover's config.plist attached here for reference.

config.plist

Edited by jsl2000
  • Like 1

I had the same issue in my FX-6300 hackintosh too. Unable to update to Monterey 12.1 from 12.0: It's Macintosh HD always got reboot loop. The only solution is got updated Macintosh HD from other hackintoshs, then it can reboot 3 times successfully to newer version. No such an issue in my Ryzen 1700X hackintosh with both OpenCore 0.7.6 and Clover 5141.
[solved on 2021-11-22]
This  issue was solved by the following method:
(1) OpenCore 0.7.5
(2) SMBIOS=MacPro7,1
(3) SecureBootMode=j160 To get updated Macintosh HD at first
(4) SecureBootMode=Disabled To reboot for 3 times and complete update process without reboot loop now !
[Waiting for solution]
I don't know why using the similar method of HWTarget in Clover 5142 did not work for me.
Clover's config.plist attached here for reference.
config.plist

I’ll take a look at your config later. My smbios is already MacPro7,1 but securebootmode is default or disabled. I’ll try j60 from USB for first reboot.
Checked and mines set to Disabled. Will changing it too Default help?

58 minutes ago, 1Revenger1 said:

Its added by Opencore every boot, but only exists in memory. It is not written to flash…

@MacKonsti

Do you have native or emulated NVRAM?

Do you have LegacyEnable and LegacyOverwrite true?

Edited by miliuco

Thank you @1Revenger1 and @miliuco for your help and very useful feedback. It seems I found the culprit.

On my NUC8 I was using Clover and have been trying to migrate to OpenCore as an alternative solution but in parallel; so Hackintool all of a sudden reports OpenCore as detected, despite having booted with Clover at that session.

So I raised an issue on GitHub and was told that Hackintool detected this value UNK-000-0000-00-00 as there existed an entry in 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:opencore-version which was mistaken for OpenCore being booted.

Reverting to a previous Clover release, this is not happening. So something must have slipped in latest (today) Clover release, which made me mistakingly consider this was NVRAM-stored by OpenCore.

But thanks to @1Revenger1 comment that this is injected in memory, it made me suspicious and I traced back the issue...

So @1Revenger1 mate, can I safely assume that any parameter saved in 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102 means this is injected per OpenCore boot session and not stored in the actual NVRAM of the device?

Apologies for troubling you with my original question, but life is full of learning I guess. Thanks to all of you.

• Like 2