OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,774 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, miliuco said:

Quoted text is said by OpenCore developers, setting Default as a valid value for any one since it picks for SecureBootModel the same Mac model as in current SMBIOS.

But our hacks are each one a world. If you are working fine with SBM=j185f then go ahead, it's completely valid also.

Do you have iMac20,2 as SMBIOS model?

I have 17,1

15 minutes ago, Tecnicaso Rico said:

I have 17,1

Then you have SecureBootModel j185f (iMac20,2, it filters macOS 10.15.5 and older, macOS 10.15.6 and newer are allowed ) but SMBIOS iMac17,1. Anyway, if it works fine, go ahead.

21 hours ago, Moviemakergr said:

Morning..

OC 0.7.4 broken my windows boot.. i roll back to 0.7.1

do we know anything about this?

The mystery was solved .. it was the AppleVTD That I used 0.73 and later..

Now i m on 0.74 and booting Win 11 and monterey..

Edited by Moviemakergr

16 hours ago, miliuco said:

Then you have SecureBootModel j185f (iMac20,2, it filters macOS 10.15.5 and older, macOS 10.15.6 and newer are allowed ) but SMBIOS iMac17,1. Anyway, if it works fine, go ahead.

I think the reason it works is because each of the different  SecureBootModel  options started to be supported during a specific macOS release and the SMBIOS reference just indicates which was the first SecureBootModel option used by that SMBIOS. So I think what matters is to pair the SecureBootModel option with the macOS version you are using.

Hi. I have two macOS drives that show up in Opencore boot picker. In macOS I have them named differently, one is "macOS Big Sur" and the other is named "Backup" but in the boot picker they both show as same name "macOS Big Sur". My question is how can I configure so thet my Backup disk shows with the name "Backup" in the boot picker? How/where do I do that? Many thanks for help

59 minutes ago, Humanate said:

Hi. I have two macOS drives that show up in Opencore boot picker. In macOS I have them named differently, one is "macOS Big Sur" and the other is named "Backup" but in the boot picker they both show as same name "macOS Big Sur". My question is how can I configure so thet my Backup disk shows with the name "Backup" in the boot picker? How/where do I do that? Many thanks for help

Backup disk has macOS installed in it? Boot Backup >> install Intel Power Gadget >> reboot, disk must have the new name.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, miliuco said:

Backup disk has macOS installed in it? Boot Backup >> install Intel Power Gadget >> reboot, disk must have the new name.

I came back to edit my post as I subsequently found this fix suggested elsewhere. You beat me to it and this works, thanks 🙏 

• Thanks 1

If we're still using the Open Core Boot Menu (not the graphical boot picker), what's the correct way to rename volumes in the menu?  I've tried disklabel and the Intel Power Gadget "trick" and I've experimented with PickerAttributes, but it seems to me that these are relevant to graphical boot icons and not the text-based boot menu.

On 10/4/2021 at 10:46 AM, miliuco said:

First of all you must fix a big number of errors in config.plist. Ocvalidate tool (included in each OpenCore package) is your friend, please use it to check if the config.plist file is ok.

• ACPI >> Add >> entries 3-7-17-21 contains illegal character (spaces).
  • All ACPI >> Patch entries are missing 2 properties: Base and BaseSkip.
  • Kernel >> Add >> entry 17 >> BundlePath contains illegal character (space).
  • Kernel >> Patch >> entry 13 >> Comment contains illegal character (© I guess).
  • Kernel >> Patch >> entries number 15 and 18 are missing MaxKernel and MinKernel.

Please check always your config before asking for help.

EDIT: all disks not displayed are APFS?

EDIT 2: please complete your signature (user >> profile).

I fixed some Errors in config.plist

I can't install Still not show My Hard drives (APFS,SATA3) ple check Thanks your support.

config.plist

1 hour ago, tonyx86 said:

@miliuco Your patience amazes me!  By my count, you fixed 245 errors in his config.plist.  That was very kind of you.

I want to think he's a novice, and I hope this time the file is well done.

But all errors were Base and BaseSkip missing keys in Patches, so it wasn't too hard to fix.

Anyway... :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 3

17 hours ago, tonyx86 said:

If we're still using the Open Core Boot Menu (not the graphical boot picker), what's the correct way to rename volumes in the menu?  I've tried disklabel and the Intel Power Gadget "trick" and I've experimented with PickerAttributes, but it seems to me that these are relevant to graphical boot icons and not the text-based boot menu.

As far as I know, only 2 ways can do it: .disk_label.contentDetails file into /System/Volumes/Preboot/UUID-number/System/Library/CoreServices and Intel Power gadget as a workaround.

To change .disk_label.contentDetails I must disable SIP and mount read write the filesystem so I don't do it.

IPG solves the question for me but, about your post, I don't have clear answer. I thought that renaming macOS volume is the same for text menu or OpenCanopy. Have you seen that it's a different task?

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, miliuco said:

As far as I know, only 2 ways can do it: .disk_label.contentDetails file into /System/Volumes/Preboot/UUID-number/System/Library/CoreServices and Intel Power gadget as a workaround.

To change .disk_label.contentDetails I must disable SIP and mount read write the filesystem so I don't do it.

IPG solves the question for me but, about your post, I don't have clear answer. I thought that renaming macOS volume is the same for text menu or OpenCanopy. Have you seen that it's a different task?

Can you please remind us why installing Intel Power Gadget "trick" helps with the renaming of macOS disks ?

Seems bizzare to have to do that with OpenCore's extensive disk label & icons schemes.

20 hours ago, miliuco said:

@nmano

No, there are still too many errors in config.plist. It's required to fix them before to go on.

Try this and comment, it's yours without ocvalidate errors.

Thanks my friend I am happy to fixed no errors OCvalidate

I can boot Mac OS Big Sur but I can't install 12.0 still not show my hard drives in DiskUtilty.

Pie look my EFIEFI.zip Thanks for your hard work .

Edited by nmano

19 hours ago, miliuco said:

I'm inexperienced with OpenCanopy, so I can't comment on the differences between it and text menu.  My config.plist Misc>Boot attributes are attached.  I did the following and am unable to change the Volume names in OC 0.7.4 text menu picker:

1. Renamed Volumes in DiskUtility
  2. Confirmed new Volume names in Finder and Sytem Preferences > Startup Disk
  3. Ran 'disklabel -e "New Label" .disk_label .disk_label_2x' in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/BOOT of each volume, where "New Label" is the label that I assigned to each volume in DiskUtility
  4. Installed Intel Power Gadget
  5. Changed config.plist Misc > Boot > PickerAttributes to 3

config.plist.zip

• Like 1

Can you please remind us why installing Intel Power Gadget "trick" helps with the renaming of macOS disks ?
Seems bizzare to have to do that with OpenCore's extensive disk label & icons schemes.

Installing intel power gadget updates the pre boot volume. That is the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MacNB said:

It's a workaround, but it works. As part of the install process, IPG updates Preboot volume (setup window shows info when installation is ending) and it does what we aren't able to do: new volume name is written into  .disk_label / .disk_label_2x  / .disk_label.contentDetails, so OpenCore can read the right name at next boot.

Fist time I read about it was in the other forum, a post of Aug 26, 2020 from joostiphone titled [Solved] OpenCore boot menu. I know it's not an elegant solution but...

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, tonyx86 said:

I'm inexperienced with OpenCanopy, so I can't comment on the differences between it and text menu.  My config.plist Misc>Boot attributes are attached.  I did the following and am unable to change the Volume names in OC 0.7.4 text menu picker:

1. Renamed Volumes in DiskUtility
  2. Confirmed new Volume names in Finder and Sytem Preferences > Startup Disk
  3. Ran 'disklabel -e "New Label" .disk_label .disk_label_2x' in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/BOOT of each volume, where "New Label" is the label that I assigned to each volume in DiskUtility
  4. Installed Intel Power Gadget
  5. Changed config.plist Misc > Boot > PickerAttributes to 3...

Strange! Your config.plist Boot section is ok for me. And also PickerAttributes=3.
In theory, disklabel as you are running should work. I don't know why fails.
Perhaps it's the moment to put an issue in the bug tracker.

Note: Another more difficult method is to manually modify the /System/Volumes/Preboot/UUID-number/System/Library/CoreServices/.disk_label.contentDetails file, it is a text file with the name of the volume, but to be able to edit it you have to deactivate SIP and mount / read write mode.

• Like 1

@miliuco Thank you for helping!  It's not urgent for me, because my rig sleeps most of the time when I'm not using it (also why I haven't invested any time in OpenCanopy).  I'll wait to see if anyone else has a suggestion and may eventually try your .disk_label.contentDetails suggestion.  Thank you!

• Like 1

About the new OpenCore feature "gpubar" on Aorus Master Z390, Rx 6800 XT.
1. Resize bar enable on bios + ResizeAppleGpuBars 10 all OK - from picker: Mac OS, ubuntu and windows (resize bar enable on Radeon Software) are booting OK
2. Resize bar enable on bios + ResizeAppleGpuBars 11 - Mac OS stuck on PCI configuration
3. Resize bar enable on bios + ResizeGpuBars 10 - from picker: Mac OS, ubuntu boot OK, windows no display and error 43 if I remember well
Questions:
1. OC can be made to use for example 1,5 value on ResizeAppleGpuBars (1,5G resize bar)? For trying values below 2G.
2. On older firmwares, without resize bar option in bios, this feature is relevant?

Edited by Stefanalmare
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyx86 said:

@miliuco Thank you for helping!  It's not urgent for me, because my rig sleeps most of the time when I'm not using it (also why I haven't invested any time in OpenCanopy).  I'll wait to see if anyone else has a suggestion and may eventually try your .disk_label.contentDetails suggestion.  Thank you!

as suggested by @miliuco disable SIP and enable viewing of hidden files, you can try this way

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16wWX6hZW50szRYrMI08D8jEUOIPY5wsh/view?usp=sharing

or via terminal https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SwDyqGrlHGBTnMEci4EP2yxDG8n7BAV9/view?usp=sharing 🙃

Edited by antuneddu
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, nmano said:

We have the same Mobo, so here's my config for the WU-8. 

I have lots of drives ( SSDs & NVMes ) including Mojave & Monterey Beta 9.

Everything works.

Ps: (  I run 5 Monitors so I need to agdpmod=pikera to avoid some black screen at boot )

wu8config.plist

Edited by Ellybz
  • Like 1