OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,774 posts in this topic

Reviving this:

I'm still unable to update the os without a forced shutdown..

Happened right now with the ota delta update to big sur 11.6.

Steps:

1. Downloaded the delta ota update from system software update

2. After finishing the download the system asks to reboot <-- It doesn't reboot, monitor shutdown, virsh is reporting my vm is still in execution <-- Waited for 15 min, I had to force the shutdown (virsh destroy BigSur) and manually start again the vm (virsh start BigSur)

3. Update continues with no problem, reboot (OK)

4. Update continues with no problem, reboot (OK)

In general I don't have any issue with shutdown/reboot from within the os.

Any idea on what's going on? @vit9696 do you know what can I check to see what is preventing the os to reboot?

Okay, so to conclude the `ProcessorType" episode:

• Fnd your CPU model from this List  (section "Apple Processor Type Information - Processor Types")
  • convert it from hex to decimal.
  • Paste it in PlatformInfo > Generic > ProcessorType
  • Save, Reboot, check "About this Mac" to see if it is correct
  • Be happy!
Edited by 5T33Z0

Somehow the command

ioreg -rxn "CPU0@0"

does not work on my desktop which uses an i9 10850K. Is it because it's defined as "PR00" instead of CPU?

On 9/11/2021 at 8:32 PM, 5T33Z0 said:

@Henties Did you disbale the custom entries to the linux bootloader in the config? I think it is not needed anymore. Otherwise I would create an issue in acidantheras bug tracker. That Linux implementation is pretty new.

The custom entry for Linux was merely disabled, however removing it altogether did not resolve the issue I am experiencing with booting into Linux by bypassing Grub. I experience this problem only with my Haswell and Skylake builds, and not with any of the 2 Comet Lake machines. I agree with your notion that this new booting method is a rather new OC. feature, will thus be a bit patient and wait what refinements developers will apply to the codebase further down the line, if anything. Resolving the issue is certainly not pressing at the moment.

@Septendre In the current OC 0.7.3 version, OC_scan_allow_fs_ext is not present in

Misc-->Security referred to in your posting, seems you are on the latest OC 0.7.4 beta code, which if that is the case, confirms the notion that the developers are still fine tuning the code around the new Linux access methodoligy. 

Edit:

In the interim, and after finally having read the other postings on this topic, I got a bit wiser and now understand @Septendre's contribution, which confused me initially, it actually referred to the value set for Misc-->ScanPolicy and its relationship to the bit mask arriving at the entities which are actually allowed during the scanning process.

Greetings Henties

Edited by Henties

Found a Spreedsheet on a german Hackintosh forum for generating the ScanPolicy old school style. Modified it a bit, so it's easier to change values with breaking the formulae included. This is for Numbers and Excel. Pro: If bits are added/changed you can modify the data on your own. Contra: it's so 1980s… :D

Bildschirmfoto.png.d7852ab88f716cb0f23300af5a27aaf4.png

Enjoy

ScanPolicy_Spreadsheet.zip

Edited by 5T33Z0

4 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

• Fnd your CPU model from this List  (section "Apple Processor Type Information - Processor Types")
  • Be happy!

Good summary.

I use PlistEdit Pro plist editor (for many many years now) and that allows you to enter/edit any Number in Hex format.

So with that editor, there's no need for any conversion as you can copy and paste the hex value from the source avoiding any errors.

1029938899_Screenshot2021-09-14at13_06_35.thumb.png.0698f72a3a0c95678554848d529eccfe.png

1693016396_Screenshot2021-09-14at13_06_51.thumb.png.c3e060851ba23299dfc3c2ea574e6729.png

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

Found a Spreedsheet on a german Hackintosh forum for generating the ScanPolicy old school style. Modified it a bit, so it's easier to change values with breaking the formulae included. This is for Numbers and Excel. Pro: If bits are added/changed you can modify the data on your own. Contra: it's so 1980s… :D

Bildschirmfoto.png.d7852ab88f716cb0f23300af5a27aaf4.png

Enjoy

ScanPolicy_Spreadsheet.zip 735.98 kB · 1 download

Nice find.

I use the macOS Calculator app in Programmer mode for Field that has bit setting (like the ScanPolicy).

Basically, open the OC Configuration.pdf and go to the section you are interested in changing.

Open Calculator App

Change View to "Programmer" (CMD+3)

Then click each Bit you wish to set the Calculator will show you the new Hex value.

Copy and Paste that hex value into the plist editor.

If the editor cannot handle hex value, you can convert the hex to decimal in the Calculator App by simply clicking on 10 button before copy-n-paste.

288224766_Screenshot2021-09-14at13_27_45.thumb.png.02264e82129b8e408f2d7570bcee7718.png

• Like 4

5 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

• Be happy!

Nice.  I use XCode, so when I type 0x0704, it's automatically converted to decimal.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, tonyx86 said:

@5T33Z0 You've got big cojones for mentioning that here. :)

It was a useful resource for troubleshooting configs. I don't know why this would offend anyone. Because the way it works, it's completely based on the Data provided by Dortanias OpenCore Install Guide. From my understanding it basically takes the data for each CPU family directly from the guide and parses it in the backend for the sanity checks. But I think for each version of OpenCore new masks have to be created manually, so that's why I think the work was too tedious in the end.

Edited by 5T33Z0

I've added a new method to the OpenCore Update Guide using OCAuxiliaryTools (OCAT). No more headaches and manual fiddling when trying to bring an outdated config.plist up to par with the newest feature-set.

On 9/14/2021 at 9:07 AM, ghost8282 said:

I'm still unable to update the os without a forced shutdown..

Happened right now with the ota delta update to big sur 11.6.

Steps:

1. Downloaded the delta ota update from system software update

2. After finishing the download the system asks to reboot <-- It doesn't reboot, monitor shutdown, virsh is reporting my vm is still in execution <-- Waited for 15 min, I had to force the shutdown (virsh destroy BigSur) and manually start again the vm (virsh start BigSur)

3. Update continues with no problem, reboot (OK)

4. Update continues with no problem, reboot (OK)

In general I don't have any issue with shutdown/reboot from within the os.

Any idea on what's going on? @vit9696 do you know what can I check to see what is preventing the os to reboot?

It seems a bug in libvirt or qemu (I suspect libvirt).

Not working: qemu 6.1, libvirt 7.6.0/7.7.0

working (same vm configuration, same oc): qemu 5.1, libvirt 6.5.0

I opened an issue in libvirt gitlab, hopefully someone will be able to sort it out.

So nothing to do with oc, sorry.

Does somebody have some more insight into what RestrictEvents.kext does exactly? The description on the github page is really vague, yet on the other hand it's used a lot... which I find a bit confusing.

2 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

Does somebody have some more insight into what RestrictEvents.kext does exactly? The description on the github page is really vague, yet on the other hand it's used a lot... which I find a bit confusing.

I find the github description clear:

"Lilu Kernel extension for blocking unwanted processes causing compatibility issues on different hardware and unlocking the support for certain features restricted to other hardware. The list of blocks currently includes:

• /System/Library/CoreServices/ExpansionSlotNotification
  • /System/Library/CoreServices/MemorySlotNotification

The list of patches currently includes:

• Disabled MacBookAir model memory replacement UI (comes in pair with SystemMemoryStatus = Upgradablequirk).
  • Disabled MacPro7,1 PCI Expansion view and RAM view.
  • CPU brand string patch for non-Intel CPUs."

Yes, it’ used a lot by those who have MacPro7.1 SMBIOS (like me) or AMD cpus o MacBooAir of soldered ram in SMBIOS. 

• Thanks 1

"Unlocking the support for certain features (which?) restricted to other hardware (which hardware?)". To me this sounds as if it does more than what's listed next. It just sounds vague.

Otherwise he could have just said, RestrictEvents does the following and then drop the list.

Edited by 5T33Z0

Some features of OpenCore are so brilliant, you only notice it once you need them. Like the MinKernel and MaxKernel Feature in the Kernel Section.

Hi,

It makes a long time I didn't post here.

But, i got a new toy ;)  Lenovo Thinkpad T15 Gen 1, all is working except mic sound (need to investigate or help). (fingerprint too but will never work)

At the moment Monterey but also works under Big Sur. Major difference is that all PCI device show this error "family specific matching fails"

@vit9696

But something strange and unusual I got see screenshot below.

MacOs is booting without Unlocked CFG and no kernel patch !

Patch CFG Lock (0x3E) impossible with know tools (OcTool, Grub tool or Ru refi)  because EFI's protect. (I thing patched bios is needed and hard tool to flash), but will it make any differences ? I don't think all working fine with about 10 hours of battery life normal using. (no heavy task)

Another thing strange is CPU frequency setting ... 

1430603873_Capturedcran2021-09-2012_51_26.thumb.png.3a7e01a98bab39a11e6ea75704ba8a6b.png

Fred

Edited by FredWst
  • Like 1

@FredWst If I understood you correctly, you're wondering why your rig boots without AppleCpuPmConfigLock=True and/or AppleXcpmCfgLock=True even though your MSR 0xE2 is locked and you are unable to unlock it in BIOS.  I experience the same behavior with my rig.  Further, when I was using CLOVER, I was unable to boot without CLOVER's KernelPM fix enabled, so the behavior is different with OC than with CLOVER.  Others who have used my posted OC EFIs have indicated that if they don't set AppleXcpmCfgLock=True, their rig freezes under heavy CPU load even though it boots fine.  

If you're looking for a suggestion, I would recommend that you set AppleXcpmCfgLock=True if you can't unlock MSR 0xE2.

On 9/18/2021 at 6:26 PM, ghost8282 said:

It seems a bug in libvirt or qemu (I suspect libvirt).

It's not qemu, nor libvirt....it's OVMF...older versions (1 year ago?) work as expected..it's the second time in one year they break something :(

Going there to see if they can fix it.