OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,774 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Download-Fritz said:

Please always use ocvalidate before posting reports. Don't rely on other junk tools, ocvalidate uses the exact scheme engine from OC + extra sanity-checking, and it is automatically up-to-date with updates.

I always use OCVALIDATE and can eventually work out what is wrong/changed.

But...even compared to other "junk tools" it can be improved to be more user friendly as opposed to developer-friendly.

E.g. "OCS: Couldn't get array serialized at 0 index!" does not convey meaningful informative data as to what is wrong. That is, which array ? What does serialized mean ? what' 0 Index ?, etc. In this case, the format of the UEFI drivers section changed but that was not obvious from just the output of OCVALIDATE. Instead one also has to refer to the changelog to get "clues". 

Example of the improvement: since config.plist file is essentially a TEXT file (as opposed to binary), it would be useful if OCVALIDATE simply displayed the LINE NUMBER of the offending "OCS: Couldn't get array serialized at 0 index!".

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

@5T33Z0

This is differant Icon, I made like that because if you see the Drive is more Smaller 😁 It was the goal to make them like this

You can use Flavours-B  theme with the  Background-Orig.icns

I was thinking about something like this (just with perspectively correct icons):

Flavours-B_Screenshot.thumb.png.d911af7109101400e10094c92f03618e.png

Thanks for the Icons! This is how it looks now. I don't know why the ResetNVRAM Icon is not applied, but it's okay.

Minimal-SSD_Screenshot.thumb.png.b1388e098612a670c0661424eb1105a0.png

Edited by 5T33Z0

22 hours ago, Download-Fritz said:

I have explained that this is not easily possible. Let me know when instead of CAPS you provide a PULL REQUEST to improve the tool.

Is it possible to provide the section where the violation occurs (even if the line number is not possible).  For this most recent update from OC 0.7.2 -> 0.7.3, could ocvalidate have indicated that the errors were in UEFI>Drivers?

EDIT: I'm referring to the initial 'OCS: Couldn't get array serialized at 0 index!' error.  I realize that UEFI->Drivers is referenced later in the error report  '

UEFI->Quirks->RequestBootVarRouting is enabled, but OpenRuntime.efi is not loaded at UEFI->Drivers!

CheckUEFI returns 1 error!'

Edited by tonyx86
  • Like 2

Wow, I just stumbled over this ECEnabler.kext and now I no longer need all these binary renames to get the battery indicator working. Best kext evuuuurrr! ;)

LOL… this sounds like Angela Merkel talking about the dangers of the internet. :D Basically, this directly takes shots at OpenCoreConfigurator without calling it out by name.

1396554768_Bildschirmfoto2021-09-10um01_49_51.thumb.png.342d2b14930bf6eee2af19937674a724.png

Edited by 5T33Z0

@antuneddu @shiecldk This might be a problem – becaue there is no SMBIOS for 10th Gen Intel Mobile I9. And my guess is: there won't ever be one, since Apple abandoned Intel… especially for mobile computing – that's why the developed M1 processors primarily. Closest thing would be MacBookPro16,1 (9th Gen i9) or MacBookPro16,2 (10th Gen I7). I would test both and run with the one which scores the highest in Geekbench 5. But don't forget to adjust the Framebuffer Patchfor each SMBIOS accordingl.

Edited by 5T33Z0

57 minutes ago, antuneddu said:

I know that he has a 10 th gen Intel Mobile i9… that's not the question. The point is that there is no SMBIOS for it!

The lastest macBook Pro Model is 17, and it has an M1 Chip ONLY: https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=MacBookPro17,1

The last MacBookPro Model with an i9 Intel chip was 9th Gen: https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=MacBookPro16,1

The only 10th gen SMBIOSes ar for these models and none of them use a mobile i9: https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=MacBookPro16,2

Edited by 5T33Z0

I have a quesion about the use of PlatformInfo > Generic > ProcessorType.

In my Notebook (running as MacBookPro10,1) I have an Intel I7 3630QM. According to this List, it is a Type Core i7 Type 4.and has the value 0x0704 as listed here

So if I wanted to change the field ProcessorType from "0" (Auto) to 0x0704, do I have to bit swap it to 0407 or what do I just enter 0704?

Whenever I try to boot Ubuntu 20.04 from Big Sur 11.5.2 with OC 0.7.3 and  the OpenLinuxBoot.efi and ext4_x64.efi enabled in the config.plist UEFI --> Drivers section on a Haswell or Skylake based hack, the machines lock up solid during booting and do not even reach the OC boot selection screen.

In the Misc --> Entries section, the directives for booting Linux have been disabled.

This new method of bypassing GRUB, works very well on my two Comet Lake hacks but not on my Haswell and Skylake based hacks. 

Anybody experiencing a similar issue with they older hacks? 

I my case all my machines are on Big Sur 11.5.2 and run without any issues whatsoever, except that for the Haswell and Skylake builds I cannot migrate to booting Linux with the new "GUB bypass" method. 

Some feedback as to what could cause the issue would be appreciated.

Oh by the way all Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Linux systems on all my machines have been upgraded to the latest available codebase, ie. Ubuntu 20.04....LTS...34. and all the respective config.plist files pass the ocvalidate sanity scan without any issues.

Needless to say, I am using the exact same OpenLinuxBoot.efi and ext4_x64.efi drivers and versions that are successfully deployed in my Comet Lake hacks.

Greetings Henties

Edit:

When attempting to boot into Linux from Haswell, with the OpenLinuxBoot.efi and ext4_x64.efi drivers, the hack not only hangs good and solid but while attempting to boot it actually screws up Grub to the extent that I need to reinstall GRUP with Linux's "Boot repair" in order to at least be able to get into Linux again via the old Misc--> Entries method.

Edited by Henties

@Henties Did you disbale the custom entries to the linux bootloader in the config? I think it is not needed anymore. Otherwise I would create an issue in acidantheras bug tracker. That Linux implementation is pretty new.

6 hours ago, Henties said:

Whenever I try to boot Ubuntu 20.04 from Big Sur 11.5.2 with OC 0.7.3 and  the OpenLinuxBoot.efi and ext4_x64.efi enabled in the config.plist UEFI --> Drivers section on a Haswell or Skylake based hack, the machines lock up solid during booting and do not even reach the OC boot selection screen.

In the Misc --> Entries section, the directives for booting Linux have been disabled.

This new method of bypassing GRUB, works very well on my two Comet Lake hacks but not on my Haswell and Skylake based hacks. 

Anybody experiencing a similar issue with they older hacks? 

I my case all my machines are on Big Sur 11.5.2 and run without any issues whatsoever, except that for the Haswell and Skylake builds I cannot migrate to booting Linux with the new "GUB bypass" method. 

Some feedback as to what could cause the issue would be appreciated.

Oh by the way all Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Linux systems on all my machines have been upgraded to the latest available codebase, ie. Ubuntu 20.04....LTS...34. and all the respective config.plist files pass the ocvalidate sanity scan without any issues.

Needless to say, I am using the exact same OpenLinuxBoot.efi and ext4_x64.efi drivers and versions that are successfully deployed in my Comet Lake hacks.

Greetings Henties

Edit:

When attempting to boot into Linux from Haswell, with the OpenLinuxBoot.efi and ext4_x64.efi drivers, the hack not only hangs good and solid but while attempting to boot it actually screws up Grub to the extent that I need to reinstall GRUP with Linux's "Boot repair" in order to at least be able to get into Linux again via the old Misc--> Entries method.

I have the same problem with my E6540 (Haswell) and OC 7.3 .With both ext4 and openlinux all I get is a big nothing occurs, and I have to disable either ext4 or openlinux to be able to start OpenCore . The same thing occurs if I enable Misc:Security:OC_scan_allow_fs_ext with openlinux, ext4, or both. And I don't have any custom entries in misc:Entries .

Edited by Septendre