OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,774 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, tonyx86 said:

Does this mean that we should change MIsc>Security>SecureBootModel from 'Default' to 'x86legacy' in our OC config.plist for better compatibility with future macOS versions?

No, it means that Default now falls back to x86legacy instead of j137:

STATIC CONST CHAR8 *mModelDefault = "x86legacy"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, tonyx86 said:

If we are currently staying with 0C 0.7.1 as our baseline, should we change SecureBootModel to 'x86legacy' in our OC 0.7.1 config.plist?

Missed the last question, yes I would change in 0.7.1 to x86legacy, but better than this I would update opencore, at least when releases are released :D

With this developer oc release (0.7.2) setting it to x86legacy or Default should be exactly the same (?), this is not the case with older releases.

Edited by ghost8282
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest 5T33Z0
21 minutes ago, ghost8282 said:

No, it means that Default now falls back to x86legacy instead of j137:

STATIC CONST CHAR8 *mModelDefault = "x86legacy"

But that's only half of the truth – the other is that it's x86legacy AND macOS Big Sur as a minimum OS requirement! This means: any macOS prior to Big Sur with SecureBootModel set to Default = no Boot!

From the Cofiguration PDF:

x86legacy Macs without T2 chip and VMs. Minimum macOS 11.0.1 (20B29)

Edited by 5T33Z0

3 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

But that's only half of the truth – the other is that it's x86legacy AND macOS Big Sur as a minimum OS requirement! This means: any macOS prior to Big Sur with SecureBootModel set to Default = no Boot!

I can change MinDate and MinVersion and still boot with SecureBootModel Default with os older than big sur...nothing has changed in the code apart default values for apfs driver.

Edited by ghost8282

Guest 5T33Z0
7 minutes ago, ghost8282 said:

I can change MinDate and MinVersion and still boot with SecureBootModel Default with os older than big sur...nothing has changed in the code apart default values for apfs driver.

These are 0.7.2 Features I'm talking about.

3 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

These are 0.7.2 Features I'm talking about.

Me too..if you mean downloading oc and using the sample.plist as your config file I agree, but if you tweak the config as it happens 99,9% of the cases and you change MinVersion and MinDate for apfs driver there's no reason you can't boot an os older than big sur with SecureBootModel=Default.

Edited by ghost8282

Guest 5T33Z0
9 minutes ago, ghost8282 said:

Me too..if you mean downloading oc and using the sample.plist as your config file I agree, but if you tweak the config as it happens 99,9% of the cases and you change MinVersion and MinDate for apfs driver there's no reason you can't boot an os older than big sur with SecureBootModel=Default.

Well, if you jump back like 2 Pages where I initiated whole discussion about MinDate and MinVersion, you will realizes that you cannot extrapolate your personal experience to 99,9 % other cases!

Because to me it happened exactly like that: Laptop, IvyBridge, macOS Catalina. Update to 072, MinDate and Verseion set to default, boom no bootdrive visible (which is what it is intended to happen in this case). And if I enable SecureBootModel on macBookPro10,2 SMBIOS running Catalina = boom, no boot. And that's what is supposed to happen, since this SMBIOS doesn't support SecureBootModel and the OS is also lower than 11.0.1.

8 hours ago, ghost8282 said:

I think you are referring to the RX580?

It seems the gpu doesn't support gop/uga and probably the os is booting in uefi mode but forcing legacy bios for video: if you search in internet you will find similar issues; some solved by upgrading the vbios (there are some on techpowerup, but I would think twice before flashing, unless you are 100% sure on what you're doing).

If I'm not wrong some (or all?) RX 580 have a physical switch (which should be near the power connector), to set legacy vs uefi vbios (note that the switch can be something different, like performance (overclocking), or secondary backup bios, so check your manual): if your gpu has this switch check that its function is legacy/uefi switch, and if this is the case, that it's in the uefi position...

Thanks for your answer.

Indeed the RX 580 has a switch to change VBIOS, as you say.

I work with BIOS 1. BIOS 2 produces a screen flicker when I turn on the PC and then it works fine but its performance is lower, I think that this BIOS is less powerful because it is intended for bitcoin mining but I am not sure.

With both VBIOS the text in bootlog is the same.

However, if I try Clover, in bootlog I see these lines:

0: 105 0: 000 - GFX: Model = AMD Radeon RX 480/570/580 (ATI / AMD)
0: 105 0: 000 - GOP: Provided by device

Boot screen and OpenCore picker seem to work fine, I have a 4k monitor and resolution and image quality are good.

It is simply a question that I have had after reading the text of the bootlog. It is not so important as to think about flashing VBIOS 🙂

7 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

I've got a MSI Radeon RX580. I think if you got GOP problem, maybe there is a message for Windows like below:...

On my Z390 Aorus Master, I use Windows 8.1/10 WHQL instead of Windows 8.1/10. In my Opencore config.plist, the resolution is 1920*1080 (because of my monitor, not 4K). What is your resolution setting!

I have tried Windows 8.1/10 WHQL instead of Windows 8.1/10, no difference.

As I answered to @ghost8282:

Boot screen and OpenCore picker seem to work fine

I have a 4k monitor, resolution (3840 × 2160) and image quality are good.

It is simply a question that I have had after reading the text of the bootlog. It is not so important.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, ghost8282 said:

Missed the last question, yes I would change in 0.7.1 to x86legacy, but better than this I would update opencore, at least when releases are released :D

With this developer oc release (0.7.2) setting it to x86legacy or Default should be exactly the same (?), this is not the case with older releases.

Thanks - that makes sense.  Since 0.7.1 does not fall back to x86legacy, SecureBootModel must be set to x86legacy in 0.7.1 config.plist.  Good to know.

Edited by tonyx86

Anybody knows what "sudo trimforce enable" does in details?

I see a nvram variable is set (EnableTRIM=%01) after forcing trim. Is that all?

I'm asking because for whatever reason this variable randomly disappears from the list of nvram variables (and I still didn't track why..) and I was thinking to force it with opencore (delete+add).

By doing this I can see trim enabled in system preferences, but is that all I need to have the same effect of trimforce?

I would avoid the use of the trim quirk in opencore.

Thanks

Edited by ghost8282

Guest 5T33Z0
17 hours ago, tonyx86 said:

Thanks - that makes sense.  Since 0.7.1 does not fall back to x86legacy, SecureBootModel must be set to x86legacy in 0.7.1 config.plist.  Good to know.

It doesn't fall back to x86legacy in 0.7.1 simply because that's not the default in 0.7.1. Should be obvious if the 072 changelog states "hey we changed the default for SecureBootModel from this to this"…

On my deaktop I reverted back to 0.7.1 yesterday, because the current 0.7.2 build caused some strange behavior when I was working in Logic when all of a sudden the computer became completely unresponsive, the fans ramped up like crazy and all I could do was a hard reset. No more problems since I downgraded.

Edited by 5T33Z0

I'll never take for granted the fact that we're running macOS on our Windows PCs.  Just upgraded my HackMini8,1 and HackBookPro14,1 to BS 11.5 with no issues.  Booting with OC 0.7.1.  Thank you Acidanthera Team!

• Like 4

do the themes work in 0.7.1?

i used oc binary resources used the OC pdf, the sample plist as ref and the dortania cosmetic guide and ocvalidator to make sure config is complete to new standards even chose acidanthera goldengate as to not use auto. followed all the rules yet i still get text mode no gui.

i also updated the drivers and kexts to go along with the monthly updates. it would be nice if themes did not break with every monthly release it gets to be very stale... fix it till its broke?

Edited by bronxteck

yes i mentioned i followed the pdf and pointed it to the oc binary resources folder selecting Acidanthera/GoldenGate instead of auto for picker variant. or do i need to put the entire path starting from resources like in the file https://github.com/acidanthera/OcBinaryData/tree/master/Resources/Image/Acidanthera/GoldenGate because thats not what the pdf or guides state. maybe for courtesy they could put the correct way to use there theme on the sample plist or the other sample plist. it helps user's if they can see what should be there as opposed to reading the guide which might get technical and could confuse instead of help.

36 minutes ago, bronxteck said:

yes i mentioned i followed the pdf and pointed it to the oc binary resources folder selecting Acidanthera/GoldenGate instead of auto for picker variant. or do i need to put the entire path starting from resources like in the file https://github.com/acidanthera/OcBinaryData/tree/master/Resources/Image/Acidanthera/GoldenGate because thats not what the pdf or guides state. maybe for courtesy they could put the correct way to use there theme on the sample plist or the other sample plist. it helps user's if they can see what should be there as opposed to reading the guide which might get technical and could confuse instead of help.

To select Acidanthera's GoldenGate theme just set PickerVariant=Default. You don't need to write the path to the theme folder.

But the labels folder (Resources/Label) must have the most recent ones including SIPEnabled and SIPDisabled. Is it so?
Read this (OpenCanopy part).

2 hours ago, tonyx86 said:

I'll never take for granted the fact that we're running macOS on our Windows PCs...

Thank you Acidanthera Team!

I agree!!!

• Like 3

it looks like it is there since 2 months https://github.com/acidanthera/OcBinaryData/tree/master/Resources/Label 

i guess i will just have to recheck everything later when i get home. check all the binary and drivers dates are all 7/5/2021 just to be sure. especially OpenCanopy.efi could be that simple i guess.

Edited by bronxteck
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, bronxteck said:

Yes I was about to suggest updating this along with OC, this can catch you off guard by just updating OC and not checking for the latest released version of OC BinaryData Folder, hence the reverting to default Text at the Boot Menu. A few of us has hit that wall along the way. :yes:

• Like 3

19 hours ago, miliuco said:

About mindate and minversion APFS properties, mackie100 has added an input selector for different macOS versions into OpenCore Configurator.

I admire your courage!  A "configurator" post in this thread?  Were you wearing a bullet-proof vest and helmet when you posted that?  :)

• Haha 6