OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,805 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, UefiBooter said:

It could be added  by the same person to setup OC for the Visually impaired user, even the samples has keyboard entry.

Definitely, however personally I don't see an advantage in the first place, it's not like someone would just choose to change their language from one day to the other. The (potential) disadvantage remains however.

3 hours ago, MacNB said:

What the purpose of the KB language variable in the config file if it not used (for other purposes) ?

I actually checked the docs (I was not involved with implementing anything audio at all... gladly) and indeed that variable is used to determine the language already. I don't believe that is the best choice, but it works I suppose. I misuderstood the original suggestion, organization by folder would work too, but for that there also is no real advantage. At worst you have two sets, your native language and english in case something goes wrong.

2 minutes ago, arsradu said:

@xtddd Where did you place your Resources folder? Maybe it's not an issue with OpenCanopy itself. Maybe it just can't reach the resources folder for some reason.

Also, make sure you also added OpenCanopy.efi to config.

I sometimes forget to include it in the config. :D Common mistake, I guess. So...just double checking.

1404663391_Screenshot2020-05-12at16_19_01.thumb.png.8db6f0b94fcaf02ac5af9df3c6d751e5.png

the opencanopt.efi is always added.

Just now, xtddd said:

the opencanopt.efi is always added.

Also, double check that your Resources folder actually does contain all the necessary files inside. Since, by default they're empty. :D So...you could copy-paste and replace, thinking all the resources are there, when they're not. Since they don't come with OpenCore itself.

3 hours ago, ghost8282 said:

Hi,

I'm running a Catalina vm in qemu in a non opensource os, slackware based, linux kernel 4.19, qemu 4.2.

I set up a Manjaro Architect os linux kernel 5.7, qemu 5.0, libvirt 5.10.0.

All is working quite good, including gpu passthrough, but it boots only with "-cpu Penryn".

I would like to boot qemu with "-cpu host" for different reasons, but I can't..the system boots fine with "-cpu host" on the non opensource os.

I don't know if this related to opencore bootloader itself, to config or other, because opencore freezes at "Wathdog status is 1" on screen and on "OCCPU: Detected Apple Processor Type: 00 -> 0903" in the log file.

I'm attaching 3 logs:

1- boot ok with Penryn cpu (Manjaro)

1-boot-ok-manjaro-penryn.txt

2- boot NOT ok with host-passthrough cpu (Manjaro)

2-boot-NOT-ok-manjaro-host-passthrough.txt

3- boot ok with host-passthrough cpu (non opensource os)

3-boot-ok-non-opensource-os-host-passthrough.txt

Thanks to anyone for suggestions.

Update: a friend suggested to look into ScanIntelProcessor

You can take a look at my config.plist which allows for the use of -cpu host. https://github.com/Pavo-IM/Proxintosh/blob/master/OpenCore/config.plist

1 minute ago, arsradu said:

Also, double check that your Resources folder actually does contain all the necessary files inside. Since, by default they're empty. :D So...you could copy-paste and replace, thinking all the resources are there, when they're not. Since they don't come with OpenCore itself.

all files are in resources/images

5 minutes ago, xtddd said:

all files are in resources/images

I guess the other folders are also populated with the corresponding files. Font, Label, Audio... All that.

Also, since I think OpenCore is quite picky when it comes to spelling, just make sure it's "Resources" and "Image" (no "s"). And first letter is uppercase.

Edited by arsradu

4 minutes ago, arsradu said:

I guess the other folders are also populated with the corresponding files. Font, Label, Audio... All that.

Also, since I think OpenCore is quite picky when it comes to spelling, just make sure it's "Resources" and "Image" (no "s"). And first latter is uppercase.

i will check and still failed

Edited by xtddd

7 minutes ago, xtddd said:

i will check and still failed

Hmmm.. could you, please, remove SMBIOS info and upload your EFI folder (with Resources) somewhere ? I'd like to take a look at it (fi you agree, of course). It's quite strange that it works fine with BuiltIn picker, but it doesn't work with OpenCanopy.

4 minutes ago, xtddd said:

@arsradu @MacNB. i send yiou via message

I sent you a reply.

You missed out the Font, Label & Audio folders

For the audio folder (it's very very large) you can delete all the audio files that are not for your language.

I'm not sure if you can delete ALL them if you are NOT using audio assist.

8 minutes ago, MacNB said:

I sent you a reply.

You missed out the Font, Label & Audio folders

For the audio folder (it's very very large) you can delete all the audio files that are not for your language.

I'm not sure if you can delete ALL them if you are NOT using audio assist.

i will try to add these floders

thank you..i add all resources folders and boot into system automaticly successfully.

Edited by xtddd
  • Like 1

@MacNB @hardcorehenry any idea what is causing the computer to not wake from sleep as to me it seems the WIFI card as when I hard press the power button I see Wifi unable to connect to any network and PC hangs.  This happens when I use  XCHI port limit with Acpi patch.

Observation 2: when using USB.kext created the computer not going to sleep at all, as soon the cpu fan goes off it turns on again and hangs the pc completely and even here the Wifi shows disconnected and trying to connect to a wifi but rest all hangs up.

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 7.55.52 PM.png

1 hour ago, MacNB said:

Thank you.

So my suggestion was not that badly flawed. It's almost implemented now.

All I was suggesting was to structure the Resources Audio folder with sub-folders for each language.E.g.:

OC/Resources/Audio/Audio_ar

OC/Resources/Audio/Audio_ca

etc

etc

Like so:

1240754795_Screenshot2020-05-12at13_46_50.thumb.png.7f7043fc8e13e15a48a6f4ecfc2cc811.png

Yeep. That is pretty much what I had in mind, as well. Looks soo much cleaner. :)

I mean, it's obviously not a priority or something. But if it can be implemented sometime in the future, without causing too much trouble...+1 for me.

Edited by arsradu

7 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Yeah, also, PickerAttributes was set to 0. So...no chance that was going to use those Resources, however limited, in the first place. :P 

Glad to hear it's working now. :)  Enjoy!

Actually, I am not sure that's true. According to the Configuration document, it is not clear what "failsafe=0" means.

It states:

5. PickerAttributes
Type: plist integer
Failsafe: 0
Description: Sets specific attributes for picker.

So, I think 0= display default icons as seen the Image folder and anything else, display according to OC_ATTR_USE_VOLUME_ICON, OC_ATTR_USE_DISK_LABEL_FILE, etc attributes.

Also, it is not clear where to place the <TOOL_NAME>.icns files.

E.g. I created a Restart icon file and named it ResetSystem.icns (to match the ResetStystem.efi tool) and placed that file in the Image Folder AND placed a copy in the Tools folder but OpenCanopy does not display that icon with PickerAttributes = 1

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MacNB said:

Actually, I am not sure that's true. According to the Configuration document, it is not clear what "failsafe=0" means.

It states:

5. PickerAttributes
Type: plist integer
Failsafe: 0
Description: Sets specific attributes for picker.

So, I think 0= display default icons as seen the Image folder and anything else, display according to OC_ATTR_USE_VOLUME_ICON, OC_ATTR_USE_DISK_LABEL_FILE, etc attributes.

Also, it is not clear where to place the <TOOL_NAME>.icns files.

E.g. I created a Restart icon file and named it ResetSystem.icns (to match the ResetStystem.efi tool) and placed that file in the Image Folder AND placed a copy in the Tools folder but OpenCanopy does not display that icon with PickerAttributes = 1

Well...my opinion is that failsafe is 0, but that also means you're not using OpenCanopy, since it's still a very much "work in progress". :) Also, in the instructions provided here, you need to set it to at least 1. And, in my experience, that's not enough since it doesn't allow to load all the resources. That's why I recommended 15 which gives a totally different, more refined, result.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pavo said:

You can take a look at my config.plist which allows for the use of -cpu host. https://github.com/Pavo-IM/Proxintosh/blob/master/OpenCore/config.plist

Thank you very much Pavo for your suggestion, compared to my config I disabled watchdog, bootstrap/bootprotect and added the disable check to allow leaf7.

However it didn't help, opencore always hangs at the same point...

1 hour ago, arsradu said:

Well...my opinion is that failsafe is 0, but that also means you're not using OpenCanopy, since it's still a very much "work in progress". :) Also, in the instructions provided here, you need to set it to at least 1. And, in my experience, that's not enough since it doesn't allow to load all the resources. That's why I recommended 15 which gives a totally different, more refined, result.

I get different result that you.

With PickerAttributes = 0, I get the default icons in the Image folder:

IMG_1749.thumb.jpg.f4e62a2a3723c80b9fc2242ca0ab9125.jpg

With PickerAttributes =1 (which I use normally), I get the .VolumeIcons.icns displayed:

IMG_1750.thumb.jpg.b4c08434676348702d292b716bebaee7.jpg

With PickerAttributes = 15, I get an undesired boot picker:

IMG_1752.thumb.jpg.6ed843c7a07056bd75e9329cdc449b97.jpg

Yes it's early days for OpenCanopy and I'm sure the docs/functionality will improve.

1 hour ago, Andrey1970 said:

PickerAttributes = 1 for use .VolumeIcon.icns

Audio folder it is possible to delete, if not required Audio.

Thanks.

And how do we display <TOOL_NAME>.icns with PickerAttribute = 1 ?

E.g. I have created icons for ColdReset and Shutdown for the ResetSystem.efi tool but how do I display it ?

Edited by MacNB

1 hour ago, shhbz said:

@MacNB @hardcorehenry any idea what is causing the computer to not wake from sleep as to me it seems the WIFI card as when I hard press the power button I see Wifi unable to connect to any network and PC hangs.  This happens when I use  XCHI port limit with Acpi patch.

Observation 2: when using USB.kext created the computer not going to sleep at all, as soon the cpu fan goes off it turns on again and hangs the pc completely and even here the Wifi shows disconnected and trying to connect to a wifi but rest all hangs up.

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 7.55.52 PM.png

Did you ever have sleep working before OC (i.e. with Clover) ?

15 minutes ago, MacNB said:

Did you ever have sleep working before OC (i.e. with Clover) ?

yes, it did before with clover but I made some changes and forgot as what break it on clover too, as the only thing I see after it goes to sleep is that the wifi keep trying to connect and by the time nothing works apart from a hard reboot

45 minutes ago, MacNB said:

I get different result that you.

Yes it's early days for OpenCanopy and I'm sure the docs/functionality will improve.

Thanks.

And do we display <TOOL_NAME>.icns with PickerAttribute = 1 ?

E.g. I have created icons for ColdReset and Shutdown for the ResetSystem.efi tool but how do I display it ?

Indeed, we seem to have different results. With anything other than 15, and UIScale 2 I get different text sizes (also different labels, as you mentioned), which is probably a bug, but in the meantime, I prefer this. Also, I think with PickerAttributes 1 you don't get that white rim around the selection and no grey fill-in color for the arrow underneath. Could be wrong, or maybe it's only on my PC. But yeah, that's why, at least for now, I prefer setting it to 15. Seems to give me a more complete result overall.

IMG_0043.thumb.jpeg.211f546c283fff66330b296f65019b22.jpeg

My Windows partition is named "Windows" with PickerAttributes=1 (but also it's barely readable due to the very small text compared to the other drives) and "BOOTCAMP Windows" (with all text properly displayed) when set to 15. So...it's never "OtherOS" for me... That would be pretty inconvenient, indeed. :))

Also, I don't use "Cold Reset" and "Shutdown" (they do seem pretty useful from time to time though)...but I think my Reset NVRAM option, which I do use, was always displayed "Reset NVRAM". Not "tool". :)) Could be another bug.

Edited by arsradu

Just now, Andrey1970 said:

You use old style.

I see... :D So old style has those features but new one doesn't...? I didn't know that. Well, I guess I prefer the old style then. :)))

Anyway, I'll try a few more variants maybe I find a better option.

Thank you for the clarification. :)