OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,867 posts in this topic

I have had this issue before and it persists. I decided to do a clean install of Sonoma and add apps one by one (rather than migrate my (rock solid) Monterey OS. Mostly things work fine but I continually get this when I first boot:

desktop.thumb.png.40f3f853212a9ed1e81b18e789bceb3a.png

Does anyone have any idea what may be happening? I go to Settings>Displays and pick another resolution and go back to the one I want (2560) which clears it up until next boot.

• Sad 1

On 8/25/2024 at 10:01 PM, obus said:

Hi guys.

Have a problem with booting my rig on OC 10.0.1.

Developers has in this release "Disabled XcpmExtraMsrs MSR_MISC_PWR_MGMT patch on macOS 12+ due to non-existence"

This patch is mandatory on my rig for booting. (Skylake Xenon W) The patch is still in the config file under kernel --> quirk and normally I have this quirk enabled but in this new version it dosen't work. I get the message "failed to patch writes to MSR_MISC_PWR_MGMT"

Any help is appreciated.

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_0998.JPG

Screenshot doesnt show…

Well, the patch is still in the config because it does something in macOS 11 and older. But since the code that is effected by the patch was removed from macOS 12 and newer, the patch is disabled in this case.

According to the OpenCore install guide this quirk is not required for booting Skylake W.

Just try OpenCore 1.0.0 and if the system boots, you probably should report that this quirk is still required for booting whatever OS you are using with Skylake W

Edited by cankiulascmnfye

On 8/30/2024 at 12:11 AM, cankiulascmnfye said:

Screenshot doesnt show…

Well, the patch is still in the config because it does something in macOS 11 and older. But since the code that is effected by the patch was removed from macOS 12 and newer, the patch is disabled in this case.

According to the OpenCore install guide this quirk is not required for booting Skylake W.

Just try OpenCore 1.0.0 and if the system boots, well you probably should report that this quirs is still required for booting hatever OS you are using with Skylake W

My system is booting perfect on 1.0.0 up to latest version of Sonoma with this quirk enabled. Must be something with my Asus C422 Pro SE motherboard. I will report to developers.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, obus said:

Still unable to boot macOS Ventura 13,7 with OpenCore 10.0.1. 

Anybody has any sugestions?

Debugfiles and EFI attached.

Archive.zip 16.53 MB · 0 downloads

Did you create an issue in the Acidanthera bug report section about the changes for the XcpmExtraMsrs quirk yet?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, obus said:

Still unable to boot macOS Ventura 13,7 with OpenCore 10.0.1. 

Anybody has any sugestions?

Debugfiles and EFI attached.

Archive.zip 16.53 MB · 0 downloads

Can I suggest you add Restrict Events boot args in your Nvram ? 

See my config.plist partial attachment 

Nvram OC.plist.zip

I'ts recommend use revpatches in 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102 line. 

Captura de Tela 2024-09-21 às 16.45.37.png

Note: If you will install Ventura, not need OCLP patches. You are using kexts that is used for OCLP. 

Kernel min version its not 100% that will not affect configurations. 

I think you missing some IRQ patches from ACPI menu. Need extract with SSDTTime from CorpNewT user and DMAR Table. 

image.thumb.png.d78306968038de4c31e7fefa3ce1ee44.png

Report said that not found Deleted patches 

image.thumb.png.61b26b51be552f189e58e9b86de42353.png

Edited by Max.1974
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, cankiulascmnfye said:

Did you create an issue in the Acidanthera bug report section about the changes for the XcpmExtraMsrs quirk yet?

Nope. I will do that after testing some other thing first. Thank's anyway for your support.

17 hours ago, Max.1974 said:

See mine for example 

Reveal hidden contents

CapturadeTela2024-09-21s16_57_59.thumb.png.e602fd55579adf5dfcf5f23fcfe04ea7.png

Will test your suggestions.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2024 at 8:57 PM, cankiulascmnfye said:

Apologies for my fault in June. It is fixed now. Please wait for OpenCore 1.0.2 release in October 2024. Thanks. :)

• Like 9

I updated to Sequoia from Sonoma and in the process renamed my drive from "macOS Sonoma" to "macOS Sequoia? but the bootloader still shows "macOS Sonoma." I have cleared NVRAM but it still shows up with wrong name. Why isn’t this happening automatically and how do I change it?

Thanks!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pkdesign said:

I updated to Sequoia from Sonoma and in the process renamed my drive from "macOS Sonoma" to "macOS Sequoia? but the bootloader still shows "macOS Sonoma." I have cleared NVRAM but it still shows up with wrong name. Why isn’t this happening automatically and how do I change it?

Thanks!

You will have to edit this hidden file accordingly.

Preboot->UUID->System->Library->CoreServices->.disk_label.contentDetails

• Like 2

@pkdesign

How to update macOS volume name in the OpenCore picker without Intel Power gadget

OpenCore uses .disk_label file if it exists, otherwise it tries .contentDetails and, if this doesn't exist, it tries .disk_label.contentDetails.

• config.plist: change csr-active-config to 6F020000 (having csr-active-config also in NVRAM >> Delete >> 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82) or pick the ToggleSIP tool to switch from Enabled to Disabled (having Misc >> Security >> AllowToggleSip as True)
  • reboot
  • mount Preboot volume from Terminal (I'm not sure if that this is required, I see Preboot volume mounted by default but other users have had to mount that volume)
  • edit /System/Volumes/Preboot/UUID-number/System/Library/CoreServices/.contentDetails and /System/Volumes/Preboot/UUID-number/System/Library/CoreServices/.disk_label.contentDetails (they are hidden files)
  • change the volume name to anything else (plain text, make it simple)
  • reboot.

The new name is displayed in the OpenCore text and graphical picker.

Note: UUID-number is the UUID of the APFS volume group where Preboot volume is located, you can do "diskutil list" and "diskutil info diskx" where diskx is the APFS Container Scheme.

How to update macOS volume name in the OpenCore picker with Intel Power gadget

Easy method: install or reinstall Intel Power Gadget and reboot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It worked in the past...It doesn't work with Sip disabled or not...not editable, you can only duplicate it

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-09-24alle19_18_51.png.6e30c677eebfa90575ce10ab950ad447.png

Try it this way it works 100%
Type in terminal:

diskutil info / | grep "APFS Volume Group"

in my case : A8B51008-746E-4F15-82B6-251F5500E96C ( you need yours ) 

Screenshot2024-09-24alle19_26_29.png.9d4ca15edb4c4ceb0b27bf154e59415a.png

Type

cd /System/Volumes/Preboot/YOUR-UUID/System/Library/CoreServices/ 

image.png.41a039d3ff81d169370a4f1d00c1b803.png

Type 

sudo bless --folder . --label "macOS Sequoia"  

( and type passw ) 

note: "macOS Sequoia" or whatever name/label you want to give it

image.png.741a3ab50a50e3b769bdf3c5ee10a0f0.png

to finish type

printf "macOS Sequoia" | sudo tee .disk_label.contentDetails; echo

sudo chgrp wheel .disk*

Screenshot2024-09-24alle19_48_43.png.118b233238a3e50a9e10a0c727238c00.png

Edited by Anto65
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, naiclub said:

Hello everyone.. I used this method to change the drive name. I don't know whether there are any negative effects or not.

Reveal hidden contents

2567-09-2501_04_05.thumb.png.94462fe49c7b9074bfe99688a435ab56.png

Let's talk about displaying the name in the picker on boot 😉

Screenshot2024-09-24alle20_12_13.png.9d63299356de53f8f6e19588c57985c0.png

• Like 3

@Anto65

Your proposal is another method to do it. Indeed it doesn't need SIP disable. I'll add it to my local guides store.

For novice or less Terminal-savvy users, the easiest method is to install or reinstall Intel Power Gadget, since this installation rebuilds Preboot volume and updates .disk_label.contentDetails file.

• Like 6

On 9/1/2024 at 9:19 PM, obus said:

My system is booting perfect on 1.0.0 up to latest version of Sonoma with this quirk enabled. Must be something with my Asus C422 Pro SE motherboard. I will report to developers.

The quirk has been fiixed: https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/commit/94ec1dc375eaec0ff3a5746a10c6716bfd639dd3

Try the latest nightly build (94ec1dc) from Dortania's Github repo to test: https://dortania.github.io/builds/?product=OpenCorePkg&viewall=true

• Like 3

10 hours ago, cankiulascmnfye said:

The quirk has been fiixed: https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/commit/94ec1dc375eaec0ff3a5746a10c6716bfd639dd3

Try the latest nightly build (94ec1dc) from Dortania's Github repo to test: https://dortania.github.io/builds/?product=OpenCorePkg&viewall=true

Yea it was solved after my report to @PMheart so I'm well aware of this. Thanks anyway for the information😉

• Like 1

Hello to all.

OpenCore 1.0.2 (not released yet) has this text in Configuration.pdf:

Docs: Update Booter >> Quirks >> FixupAppleEfiImages wording. Mac OS X boot.efi images contain WˆX permissions errors (in all versions) and in very old versions additionally contain illegal overlapping sections (affects 10.4 and 10.5 32-bit versions only). Modern, strict PE loaders will refuse to load these images unless additional mitigations are applied. Image loaders which enforce these stricter rules include the loader provided with current versions of OpenDuet, the loader in OVMF if compiled from Acidanthera and possibly the image loaders of some very recent 3rd party firmware (e.g. Microsoft).
This quirk detects these issues and pre-processes such images in memory so that a strict loader will accept them. On a system with such a modern, stricter loader this quirk is required to load Mac OS X 10.4 to macOS 10.12, and is required for all newer macOS when SecureBootModel is set to Disabled because pre-processing in memory is incompatible with UEFI Secure Boot, as the image loaded is not the image on disk, so you cannot sign files which are loaded in this way based on their original disk image contents.
This quirk is never applied during Apple Secure Boot for newer macOS. The Apple Secure Boot path in OpenCore includes its own separate mitigations for boot.efi WˆX issues.

Question: Does this mean we have to enable always this quirk when we set SecureBootModel to Disabled on newer macOS? What do you think about it?

Edited by miliuco
OCLP text new build (minor changes)
  • Like 2