OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,824 posts in this topic

I have HP XW4600 + Core2 Extreme X9650 LGA 775, SMBIOS iMacPro1,1. Funny thing, after Monterey 12.3 Beta update, CPU, GPU power management appeared on IORegistry. For first time I needed AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext to boot. Bad thing, is that only 2 cores are reaching 3000 MHz, the other 2 are staying at base 2000 MHz.
I need power management off, or fix for all 4 cores to reach maximum freqvencie. Thank you!

Legacy.ioreg.zip OC.zip

Edited by Stefanalmare

14 hours ago, Stefanalmare said:

I have HP XW4600 + Core2 Extreme X9650 LGA 775, SMBIOS iMacPro1,1. Funny thing, after Monterey 12.3 Beta update, CPU, GPU power management appeared on IORegistry. For first time I needed AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext to boot. Bad thing, is that only 2 cores are reaching 3000 MHz, the other 2 are staying at base 2000 MHz.
I need power management off, or fix for all 4 cores to reach maximum freqvencie. Thank you!

Heh? X86PlatformPlugin loaded with Core2 ... and not ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin. Have you tried different SMBIOS like iMac10,1 with -no_compat_check?

Edited by FirstTimeCustomac

5 hours ago, FirstTimeCustomac said:

Heh? X86PlatformPlugin loaded with Core2 ... and not ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin. Have you tried different SMBIOS like iMac10,1 with -no_compat_check?

Yes, on iMac10,1 X86PlatformPlugin is loaded but I don't need AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext to boot.

On 1/17/2022 at 9:35 PM, Hoshi Yamazaki said:

Hey, I updated my Thinkpad X230 config, OpenCore.efi, drivers and kexts to 0.7.7 version, but it stopped booting, and I'm curious why.

This is error I get:
image.png.2033e3de1412d933267fbad30e1a3379.png

It's quite interesing because I also updated my r5 3600/rx5700 XT config, and, even if it's AMD, it works without problems. So I don't know what is an issue with my laptop...
I also tried to mess with Execution Prevention, VT-x and VT-d options in BIOS. I think GPU is not getting initialized, but I also tried to add SSDT-IMEI...
The laptop comes with Ivy Bridge CPU (i5-3320M) and HD4000 mobile iGPU. I also want to mention that I updated from 0.6.1, and it was working fine on previous "build".

I fixed some stuff in OpenCore config and now this appears:

20220131_091509.jpg

Even when I boot to recovery, there is GV wake-failure error.
Can I ask if I have problem with power management settings? How to fix that?

The Dortania Guide says that Kernel > Quirk > LapicKernelPanic must be enabled on HP Machines (both laptop and desktop) for architectures as late as CoffeeLake and CometLake.  I just stumbled upon this OpenCore quirk requirement, but I haven't had any problems on my HP EliteDesk 800 Minis and HP Envy laptop with LapicKernelPanic false. Is anyone enabling the LapicKernelPanic quirk for newer Intel architectures and if so, why?  If not, does the Dortania guide need to be changed?

Dortania Laptop Recommendation: LapicKernelPanic required for HP machines

Dortania Desktop Recommendation: LapicKernelPanic required for HP machines

On 1/29/2022 at 4:23 PM, Stefanalmare said:

Legacy.ioreg.zip 3.52 MB · 2 downloads OC.zip 16.04 kB · 7 downloads

Some helpful info (maybe solution).

• Like 1

@hardcorehenry I used to have hacks with Xeon E5450 and X5470 (with LGA 771 -> LGA 775 mod).  Even though they were socket 775, I needed to add SSDT-PLUG for proper power management.  I was using CLOVER at the time, but I don't see why that would change the need for plugin-type with OC as well.

EDIT: I think Xeon E5450 and X5470 are the same as the Core2 Extreme 775s.

EDIT2: As a side note, I bumped my socket 775 bus from 333 to 400 and my Xeon X5470 ran at 4Gz (10x multiplier) without any issues.  I remember at the time it was an awesome CPU.

EDIT3: @Stefanalmare I see your responses below that these suggestions didn't work on your HP.  Been a long time since I hacked 775.  I guess I'm showing my age.  Not surprising that you can't overclock an HP rig.  At the time, my Gigabyte MB overclocked the X5470 and E5450 all day without breaking a sweat.  Sorry these suggestions didn't help you.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@hardcorehenry I used to have hacks with Xeon E5450 and X5470 (with LGA 771 -> LGA 775 mod).  Even though they were socket 775, I needed to add SSDT-PLUG for proper power management.  I was using CLOVER at the time, but I don't see why that would change the need for plugin-type with OC as well.

EDIT: I think Xeon E5450 and X5470 are the same as the Core2 Extreme 775s.

EDIT2: As a side note, I bumped my socket 775 bus from 333 to 400 and my Xeon X5470 ran at 4Gz (10x multiplier) without any issues.  I remember at the time it was an awesome CPU.

SSDT-PLUG doesn't work anymore for core2. 333 to 400 bus increase with bsel method doesn't work for Core2 Extreme X9650 on HP XW4600.

• Thanks 1

Waxing philosophical for a moment...

OpenCore config.plist's "Platform > Generic" specifies attributes specific to the individual platform that distinguish the platform from others that share its EFI.  Why "Platform > Generic" instead of "Platform > Specific?"

generic: characteristic of or relating to a class or group of things; not specific.

Edited by deeveedee

It's called "generic" because no specific board and chassis parameters are stored in this section.

These specific values need to be entered in Platforminfo > SMBIOS instead (which almost nobody uses)

In other words: although the data you enter in PI > generic is specific, it applies to an unspecified/generic mainboiard/system.

Philosophy session closed.

17 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

Anyone have any information on a critical error.
OC: Failed to bootstrap SB NVRAM values - Invalid Parameter.
88f2ba4662e9de21030251f667ceea67.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you clean the NVRAM 🙂

Do you clean the NVRAM 

I would if I could get to the picker menu lol

Created a uefi shell boot usb to use OpenCores clean nvram and i was able to get to the picker but now it just hangs on the Apple logo.

Solved: used my backup of OpenCore from my GitHub repo and all works fine again.

• Sad 1

Hi Friends

My System X299 panic /mouse not moving I found the reason.

Macos monterey - Panic

macOS Big Sur -No panic

Borth operating system when booting just one kext is difference between EFI

Macos monterey - CpuTscSync.kext=Panic

MacOS Big Sur -TSCAdjustReset=No panic

So I guess panic reason CpuTscSync.kext This kext  not full support my i9-9980XE.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

Anyone have any information on a critical error.
OC: Failed to bootstrap SB NVRAM values - Invalid Parameter.
88f2ba4662e9de21030251f667ceea67.jpg

I had this problem in 2 laptops. I used OC after installing clover; clover left nvram variables behind (NVRAM reset unusefull) and I was unable to boot anymore OC. The solution it was to add to NVRAM/Delete/4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14 -> BridgeOSHardwareModel in Asus Laptop and NVRAM/Delete/4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14 -> BridgeOSHardwareModel, HW_BID, FirmwareFeatures and ExtendFirmwareFeatures (don't know if all are necessary) in HP Laptop. Now I can use OC and Clover without issue on laptops. I don't have this problem in all desktops I play with.

Edited by Stefanalmare
  • Like 3

I had this problem in 2 laptops. I used OC after installing clover, clover left nvram variables behind (NVRAM reset unusefull) and I was unable to boot anymore OC. The solution it was to add to NVRAM/Delete/4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14 -> BridgeOSHardwareModel in Asus Laptop and NVRAM/Delete/4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14 -> BridgeOSHardwareModel, HW_BID, FirmwareFeatures and ExtendFirmwareFeatures (don't know if all are necessary) in HP Laptop. Now I can use OC and Clover without issue on laptops. I don't have this problem in all desktops I play with.

I’ve never had this before and I switch between clover and OC as needed. But at the moment clover isn’t playing nice with 12.3b1 so I’m using OC.

It has been a while since I have used the c command prompt. I recognize that I need to know this well in order to install opencore successfully. Where can I find a good guide/refresher on using command prompts in terminal? Thanks!

On 2/6/2022 at 1:23 AM, nmano said:

Hi Friends

My System X299 panic /mouse not moving I found the reason.

Macos monterey - Panic

macOS Big Sur -No panic

Borth operating system when booting just one kext is difference between EFI

Macos monterey - CpuTscSync.kext=Panic

MacOS Big Sur -TSCAdjustReset=No panic

So I guess panic reason CpuTscSync.kext This kext  not full support my i9-9980XE.

I am so sorry.I can't found reason why X299 System panic.

I test Mac OS Big Sur -Panic

I will test Windows 10.

Thanks Friends.

Thank you, Developers, for an easy OC 0.7.7 -> 0.7.8 upgrade.  No required config.plist changes!  Must be getting close to Release 1.0 ;)

My OC 0.7.7 -> 0.7.8 upgrade steps.  No - I'm still not using any configurators - nothing against them, just my preference.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

Thank you, Developers, for an easy OC 0.7.7 -> 0.7.8 upgrade.  No required config.plist changes!  Must be getting close to Release 1.0 ;)...

Great resume in the HP EliteDesk 800 thread, as in the past. 

Really I don't think about OpenCore as typical beta software, developers consider it so but it could be Release 1 (as you say) for the maturity it's reached.

This time switching between versions is very easy but internal changes in the code are not few. Suffice it to say that 36 compilations have been released, some of them relatively complex.

• Like 1

From version 0.5.0 onward, the versioning is measured by time (in months), not in terms of features. So more than 2 years have passed since that.

I think it's kind of funny that the earliest builds had  IgnoreForWindows quirk which prohibited injecting ACPI tables into Windows.  They must have though "well that's way too easy – let's make them having to rewrite all their ACPI tables instead." :D

Edited by 5T33Z0