OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,826 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, naiclub said:

And there is another question circled in yellow on the right. If we add an order to cancel OC, do you think you can do it?

This is not possible with OC's design, and it's broken for most other solutions at least to some extent.

• Like 1

Just now, Download-Fritz said:

This is not possible with OC's design, and it's broken for most other solutions at least to some extent.

It is very unfortunate. Then I have to choose one or the other. For me, I think that Clover works very well It works very flexible.

OCs are very fragile. If the solution is not compatible with this system, it is a very big issue.

Either way, I will support both systems. Thank you.

TpmInfo.efi

There is a new tool called TpmInfo.efi to check if the hardware is TPM 2 capable. It does not say if TPM is enabled or disabled, it only says if the hardware supports it.
Executed from the picker, the output text is displayed for such a short time that it is impossible to read what it says.
Executed from UEFI Shell, it works fine.

As @vit9696 says in the bug tracker, it must be run from UEFI Shell.

tpminfo.png.98d6acf55762d51f045b7216aedfa8cd.png

Does anyone know what the last 2 lines "Discovered status of xxxxxxxx is not found" mean?

6 minutes ago, miliuco said:

TpmInfo.efi

There is a new tool called TpmInfo.efi to check if the hardware is TPM 2 capable. It does not say if TPM is enabled or disabled, it only says if the hardware supports it.
Executed from the picker, the output text is displayed for such a short time that it is impossible to read what it says.

As @vit9696 says in the bug tracker, it must be run from UEFI Shell.

Does anyone know what the last 2 lines "Discovered status of xxxxxxxx is not found" mean?

Yes tried this morning, I also wondered about the last 2 lines 🤔

1476266414_Schermata2021-06-28alle18_45_26.thumb.png.99b7b71918ee0831262554c66e7b5640.png

Edited by antuneddu

3 minutes ago, antuneddu said:

Yes tried this morning, I also wondered about the last 2 lines 🤔

I see. It seems that we both are TPM 2 capable but I hope someone clarifies this question.

8 minutes ago, miliuco said:

I see. It seems that we both are TPM 2 capable but I hope someone clarifies this question.

it could refer to some TPM options, I'm not sure if in doubt I leave everything like this 😆

601255971_Schermata2021-06-28alle19_03_07.thumb.png.9e6d3f1f8c9f433e622cddb2d9a12ae2.png483522428_Schermata2021-06-28alle19_02_41.thumb.png.982fd33fe8f1f95952b1b3d3a99ce1ff.png

27 minutes ago, miliuco said:

I suspect it means whether it is enabled or disabled!!!??? Can't think of any other than that.

TpmInfo.efi

As [mention=1135927]vit9696[/mention] says in the bug tracker, it must be run from UEFI Shell.

Try enable / disable tpm and see if the value changes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all, hi @vit9696

I noticed that I'm not able to boot the BaseSystem.img (converted dmg to img, dmg extracted from the InstallAssistant.pkg of Big Sur 11.4) in qemu, if SecureBootModel is Default (latest debug version of opencore at the time of writing and all your kexts updated). The virtualized environment contains only BaseSystem and an empty hd.

As soon as I change SecureBootModel to Disabled it boots the BaseSystem installer without issues.

SecureBootModel Default boots without issue the installer created from the create install media, it just bootloops with the BaseSystem.

It boots to opencanopy (opencanopy is forced to show), there's the BaseSystem entry, click on it, bootloop (nothing useful in the opencore debug log...)

Is this a bug that needs to be opened in the bugtracker or am I missing something and I'm just an idiot :D ?

update: finally I decided to open an issue in bugtracker, it does't sound as an expected behavior, sorry if I'm wrong

Edited by ghost8282

I've tried tpminfo.efi from shell and it does nothing, Mobo: GA-Z87X-UD3H. It does check for the module installed first, and then if 2.0 hardware capable, or only hardware capable with and without module to be installed?

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using Tapatalk

Quick question and call me a dumb ass, but how do you make recovery HDD show in picker?

Edited by STLVNUB

14 hours ago, STLVNUB said:

Quick question how do you make recovery HDD show in picker?

Then it's:

Misc=>Boot=>HideAuxiliary=No

Edited by ammoune78
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ammoune78 said:

Misc=>Boot=>HideAuxiliary=No

Misc=>Boot=>PickerAttributes=1 On previous OC builds 0.6

Misc=>Security=>ScanPolicy=0

Misc=>Security=>DmgLoading=Signed if I'm not mistaking

Thanks

Had HideAuxillary Yes

Edited by STLVNUB

@ghost8282 If I understood you correctly, yes, it is expected. DMGs are signed as a whole, and you circumvent that with the conversion. DMGs cannot have machine-specific signatures for the boot files for obvious reasons, so they cannot properly support SB. Hence SB is disabled for booting validated images (follows Apple behaviour), which does not happen for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Download-Fritz said:

@ghost8282 If I understood you correctly, yes, it is expected. DMGs are signed as a whole, and you circumvent that with the conversion. DMGs cannot have machine-specific signatures for the boot files for obvious reasons, so they cannot properly support SB. Hence SB is disabled for booting validated images (follows Apple behaviour), which does not happen for you.

Thank you very much, I understand now!

Indeed, as also suggested, creating a second vdisk, formatted as FAT32, creating the folder com.apple.recovery.boot and copying both BaseSystem.dmg and BaseSystem.chunklist, allow me to boot the to the online installer with SecureBootModel=Default

Thank you very much again for the detailed explanation.

Edited by ghost8282

43 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

What’s the option to stop windows identifying as a Mac?

PlatformInfo -> UpdateSMBIOSMode = Custom
Kernel->Quirks-> CustomSMBIOSGUID = True

Note that this relies on the CustomSMBIOSGUID patch working, so macOS may fail to boot if the patch doesn't work.
That said, I've never seen it break so probably not a big worry.

• Like 5

Hi, 
I would like to see PatchProvideCurrentCpuInfo set cpuid_cores_per_package in XNU kernel.
FIND : 44 89 EA C1 EA 1A
REPLACE  :  ba [CpuInfo->CoreCount - 1] 00 00 00 90

Is this a new patch for Monterey beta 1 or 2? Existing patch that needs changing?

6 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

Is this a new patch for Monterey beta 1 or 2? Existing patch that needs changing?

New one that I would like to see implemented.

Catalina and up:  

FIND :

44 89 EA        mov    edx, r13d
C1 EA 1A        shr    edx, 0x1a

REPLACE:

BA [CpuInfo->CoreCount - 1] 00 00 00                mov edx,[CORE COUNT-1]
90                                                  nop

Mojave and down is EAX  (Checked until 10.13)

FIND:

44 89 E8        mov   eax, r13d
C1 E8 1A        shr   eax, 0x1a

REPLACE:

b8 [CpuInfo->CoreCount - 1] 00 00 00                mov  eax,[CORE COUNT-1]
90                                                  nop

Edited by AlGrey
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, Alpha999 said:

If you want to use the most boot loaders in an easy way, I recommend that you consider using a chain loader.

OpenCore isn't too bad to use, assuming the ACPI modifications you make are OS aware. I like being able to choose windows in the startup disk preference pane, as well as in the boot camp tool within windows. I boot windows through OC on my X1 Extreme and my AMD desktop without issue.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 1Revenger1 said:

OpenCore isn't too bad to use, assuming the ACPI modifications you make are OS aware. I like being able to choose windows in the startup disk preference pane, as well as in the boot camp tool within windows. I boot windows through OC on my X1 Extreme and my AMD desktop without issue.

Chainloading windows with GRUB2 or Refind without issues.

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/346639-updated-tips-and-observations-for-big-sur-and-monterey-b2/

• Thanks 1