OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,826 posts in this topic

A naive question that has probably been answered before but I can't find the answer.
Does the picker have a limit on the number of entries it can display? If I put 16 entries in total, ResetNVRAM disappears, which is the last in the row. Is 15 the default maximum?

Thanks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Download-Fritz said:

It's not about code or configuration triviality but UX triviality. Allowing to hide entries again introduces the issue of not obvious state (are they hidden right now or not?) at literally no benefit. If you do not want to see the entries, then simply do not show them.

I understand what you says. In my previous post, I talk about the tools: when I want to use Openshell, for example. I press space bar to show the icons. I cannot go back to the previous situation, ie the hidden icon. The only solution: restart so that the tools are hidden again. That is not very practical.

• Like 1

Guest 5T33Z0

I've noticed that my brightness key shortcuts don't work on my laptop under windows if I boot it through OpenCore. Probably because I have to use binary renames to change methods _Q14 and _Q15 to XQ14 and XQ15 to make them work in macOS. Is there a way to rename theses methods with a SSDT so they are only applied to Darwin? I've seen examples for renaming devices via SSDTs but not methods. So if someone could point me at an example that would be nice. Thanks.

1 hour ago, 5T33Z0 said:

I've noticed that my brightness key shortcuts don't work on my laptop under windows if I boot it through OpenCore. Probably because I have to use binary renames to change methods _Q14 and _Q15 to XQ14 and XQ15 to make them work in macOS. Is there a way to rename theses methods with a SSDT so they are only applied to Darwin? I've seen examples for renaming devices via SSDTs but not methods. So if someone could point me at an example that would be nice. Thanks.

You could try BrightnessKeys.kext which doesn't require any ACPI modification at all
Otherwise, in the SSDT, you could just call the original XQ14/XQ15 if it's not macOS (ie !_OSI("Darwin"))

Guest 5T33Z0
2 minutes ago, 1Revenger1 said:

You could try BrightnessKeys.kext which doesn't require any ACPI modification at all
Otherwise, in the SSDT, you could just call the original XQ14/XQ15 if it's not macOS (ie !_OSI("Darwin"))

Thanks. But I tried this this already. Unfortunately, my Lenovo T530 is one of those "special cases" which require an extra binary rename so the kext works. And I guess this causes the Keys to not work under WIndows. Otherwise I would use it.

3 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

I talk about the tools: when I want to use Openshell, for example. I press space bar to show the icons. I cannot go back to the previous situation, ie the hidden icon. The only solution: restart so that the tools are hidden again. That is not very practical.

First, Acidanthera does not endorse Shell on productivity systems for security reasons. When using it to perform debugging/testing, this should not be an issue at all. Second, there is no functional limitation in more entries being shown, you can perform all actions as if they were hidden, hence reboot is not required. WONTFIX. :)

• Like 2

Guest 5T33Z0

@Matgen84 I could be more comprehensive of your argument if the Bootmenue GUI was actually not useable otherwise. But at the end of the day it's a hub to select the OS you want to boot - nothing more. So re-hiding Icons from the BootPicker is nothing else than cosmedic. I usually stay in this menue less than 5 seconds befor macOS boots, unless I have to use one of the tools that I've hidden. And then I reset and reboot anyway.  It really doesn't matter if you cannot re-hide icons. On next reboot they will be hidden again.

2 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

@Matgen84 I could be more comprehensive of your argument if the Bootmenue GUI was actually not useable otherwise. But at the end of the day it's a hub to select the OS you want to boot - nothing more. So re-hiding Icons from the BootPicker is nothing else than cosmedic. I usually stay in this menue less than 5 seconds befor macOS boots, unless I have to use one of the tools that I've hidden. And then I reset and reboot anyway.  It really doesn't matter if you cannot re-hide icons. On next reboot they will be hidden again.

@5T33Z0 I understand your arguments, which seem to me to be judicious on the point that I raised. Clover and Opencore user, I know that the graphical interface is a hub for selecting the operating system you want to start. These are not all icons, since there is "scanpolicy" for them. So, it is a question of re-hiding the icons (Tools and ResetNvram) only of the BootPicker. Or at least to have the possibility. Which is the case with Clover. I too usually stay in this menu less than 5 seconds before macOS starts up, unless I have to use one of the tools hidden (despite HiddenAuxiliary set to true, in my case). I too reset and restart. It does not matter.
Either way, it was just a question. I got the answer to. Removing tools is not possible. Never mind. :)

Sorry for my bad English.

Edited by Matgen84
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

I'm not familiar with the binary rename requirement on the T530.  Is it possible for you to simply create duplicate _Qxx methods (without renaming the original), such that the duplicate methods are conditionally defined only in macOS?  Wouldn't macOS just ignore the original methods?

If I'm misunderstanding the problem and the duplicate methods don't solve the problem, maybe you could explain why renaming _Q14 to XQ14 and then defining a new _Q14 (in an SSDT patch with _OSI("Darwin") condition) doesn't work for you?

Edited by tonyx86

Guest 5T33Z0

@tonyx86 Basically, all I need is for the rename of the methods _Q14 and _Q15 to happen inside a SSDT within a  "If OSI darwin" loop, so it only affects macOS and not Windows. Because as of now, Binary renames affect the whole DSDT so, the brightness control no longer works inside of windows. Here's a thread from someone with the same issue. I posted the SSDT for the brightness keys as it is right now in there. Maybe you want to have a look:

On 5/23/2021 at 1:23 AM, miliuco said:

A naive question that has probably been answered before but I can't find the answer.
Does the picker have a limit on the number of entries it can display? If I put 16 entries in total, ResetNVRAM disappears, which is the last in the row. Is 15 the default maximum?

Thanks.

I answer to myself. I have been doing tests and the picker can contain more than 15 items. At least until 19 which is the most I have ever tried.

19.thumb.png.9094375634bf9dfc7dc06a398b09de6a.png

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ltooz_audis said:

How do I get the Windows boot icon on the boot menu? I used to have bootcamp but now nothing.

I maybe wrong here, it could be you're running an old Icon set with an updated OC version or the other way around. If you update to OC versions 0.6.9 or 0.7.0, these new versions now include a 'Flavour Theme' entry in the config.plist where you can have the inbuilt Icons at the Boot Menu or one by blackosx or chris1111 but they must conform to OC's latest versions. All this is documented in the OC changes document.

• Like 1

Hi All, I'm a dev and we're running into an interesting issue.  Basically the OS has the ability to check the code signature of a process as outlined here:

https://blog.obdev.at/what-we-have-learned-from-a-vulnerability/

When I run this code on a hack it will fail the audit check. My question is, is this a boot loader issue or a bios issue or...just bringing it up for discussion, thanks!

On 5/25/2021 at 1:18 PM, eSaF said:

I maybe wrong here, it could be you're running an old Icon set with an updated OC version or the other way around. If you update to OC versions 0.6.9 or 0.7.0, these new versions now include a 'Flavour Theme' entry in the config.plist where you can have the inbuilt Icons at the Boot Menu or one by blackosx or chris1111 but they must conform to OC's latest versions. All this is documented in the OC changes document.

It's not the icons, it's missing the link itself. I don't think OC can detect Windows boot unless it's on a different drive. On my laptop, I shrunk a partition for Mac  from the original Windows partition. If I add Blessoverride with the windows boot.efi, it will show up as EFI boot and then the menu can't be set to boot from BigSur, default EFI windows boot. I removed the opencanopy.efi and External to Builtin, without Blessoverride with windows.efi, it still doesn't show the Windows boot options. 

Now, even if I accept the menu with EFI boot to boot to windows which I won't since Clover works perfectly, the windows brightness keys don't function while if I booted with Clover, it would function correctly. Yes, I did patch the brightness keys in my DSDT so it works in my BigSur.

Anyhow, I'm moving everything over to Clover since there's actually no tutorial on how to fix booting windows correctly.

Cheers,

Louisdrives.png.e3625e96a2fc7dad7498bfbaee8d6bba.pngIMG_9124.thumb.JPG.6096f7f0572c7eb8c1875c0ab1f614ab.JPGBlessoverride.png.abe76e33c29eb99e51e7a513f0bab64d.png

31 minutes ago, ltooz_audis said:

It's not the icons, it's missing the link itself. I don't think OC can detect Windows boot unless it's on a different drive. On my laptop, I shrunk a partition for Mac  from the original Windows partition. If I add Blessoverride with the windows boot.efi, it will show up as EFI boot and then the menu can't be set to boot from BigSur, default EFI windows boot. I removed the opencanopy.efi and External to Builtin, without Blessoverride with windows.efi, it still doesn't show the Windows boot options. 

Now, even if I accept the menu with EFI boot to boot to windows which I won't since Clover works perfectly, the windows brightness keys don't function while if I booted with Clover, it would function correctly. Yes, I did patch the brightness keys in my DSDT so it works in my BigSur.

Anyhow, I'm moving everything over to Clover since there's actually no tutorial on how to fix booting windows correctly.

Cheers,

Louisdrives.png.e3625e96a2fc7dad7498bfbaee8d6bba.pngIMG_9124.thumb.JPG.6096f7f0572c7eb8c1875c0ab1f614ab.JPGBlessoverride.png.abe76e33c29eb99e51e7a513f0bab64d.png

You can look in the bootloader section here for windows issues and tips that may help you.  Especially migrating the windows 10 BCD files off of the dedicated boot partition onto your main windows partition and putting the actual boot efi on your ESP.

You can have Clover, Open Core, Refind and the windows bootloader efi all on the same ESP.

Windows 10 an easily co-exist with linux, mac OS and android on the same hard drive.  Make sure your ESP is big enough.

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/346639-updated-tips-and-observations-for-114/

Edited by HenryV
add info

Interesting! Last commit has "Add csrutil EFI tool and Toogle SIP boot option". 

EDIT: with this build eb5cc3e I loose graphical picker and ResetNVRAM entry. Tried with AllowToggleSip True and False. Does the same thing happen to someone else?

EDIT: sorry, I didn't noticed there are new labels for this tool in OcBinayData.

Edited by miliuco
  • Sad 1

Wonderful!!! The new Toogle SIP tool has 2 labels, Enabled and Disabled, it switch when selecting and clicking on the icon and apparently Disabled correctly disables SIP because in macOS terminal csrutil status returns disabled.
Congratulations OpenCore developers for a good job. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 1

Guest 5T33Z0

I have a Question about the new Tool csrutil.efi: do I need to have the OpenShell as well to get it working or is it standalon? Because it doesn't do anything when I try to run it.

59 minutes ago, miliuco said:

Wonderful!!! The new Toogle SIP tool has 2 labels, Enabled and Disabled, it switch when selecting and clicking on the icon and apparently Disabled correctly disables SIP because in macOS terminal csrutil status returns disabled.
Congratulations OpenCore developers for a good job. :thumbsup_anim:

:thumbsup_anim: Yes, very convenient you will not need to reboot into recovery via terminal to disable/enable SIP

Schermata 2021-05-28 alle 13.14.25.png

Edited by antuneddu
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

I have a Question about the new Tool csrutil.efi: do I need to have the OpenShell as well to get it working or is it standalon? Because it doesn't do anything when I try to run it.

I think they are complementary options.
Toggle SIP is a very easy to use on / off tool to configure SIP on startup. Note: SIP disabled is re-enabled at the next boot.
CsrUtil is a command or argument tool. You can pass arguments in config.plist or run it interactively from OpenShell:

28 minutes ago, antuneddu said:

:thumbsup_anim: Yes, very convenient you will not need to reboot into recovery via terminal to disable/enable SIP...

Yes, it is a wonderful thing. I have never been able to disable SIP in Big Sur to my satisfaction: it is a very laborious process and csrutil status returns unknown state.
With this new tool, OpenCore brings us the option to disable SIP to the ultra-simple world.

Edited by miliuco

14 minutes ago, miliuco said:

I think they are complementary options.
Toggle SIP is a very easy to use on / off tool to configure SIP on startup. Note: SIP disabled is re-enabled at the next boot.
CsrUtil is a command or argument tool. You can pass arguments in config.plist or run it interactively from OpenShell:

toggle.png.c7c52b6e7e77a6535498e18518c08bb6.png

Yes, it is a wonderful thing. I have never been able to disable SIP in Big Sur to my satisfaction: it is a very laborious process and csrutil status returns unknown state.
With this new tool, OpenCore brings us the option to disable SIP to the ultra-simple world.

strange from recovery by opening the terminal: csrutil disable has always worked for me, however now everything is easier :)