OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,824 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, MacUser2525 said:

That would be because we used macOS to create it, it always does the 200mb, the 100mb is done by Windows.

I didn't know.

Of course, as @antuneddu says, even 100mb should be enough given the current size of the OpenCore EFI folders. My icon-themed versions 0.6.8 and 0.6.9 take about 10mb.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 12:49 AM, MacNB said:

Thanks boot-6d717c89b2bf90fc5378b652548d5e3c153396dc boots but the others fail.

Hello, I've similar problem with my old legacy server S5520HC, have U solved? Please let me know

Thanx in advance

21 minutes ago, mnfesq said:

Is there an entry that can be added to the config.plist to force the EFI folder to mount at boot?

Do you say to show EFI partition in OpenCore picker or to have EFI partition mounted in the desktop at boot?

5 hours ago, miliuco said:

I didn't know.

Of course, as @antuneddu says, even 100mb should be enough given the current size of the OpenCore EFI folders. My icon-themed versions 0.6.8 and 0.6.9 take about 10mb.

Yes it should be, but when they had the .wav files it was huge if you put the sounds in there too. I forget what the size was but trying to have couple of versions of the loader in it was near impossible without removing the excess languages.

4 hours ago, Check-IN said:

Hello, I've similar problem with my old legacy server S5520HC, have U solved? Please let me know

Thanx in advance

Yes it was fixed by the Devs and the fix is in the latest OpenDuet builds. Certainly works on my old Dell 530.

What chipset and SATA controller does your server motherboard use ?

Have use installed the latest Openduet (OpenCorePkg/Utilities/LegacyBoot/) ?

1 hour ago, miliuco said:

Do you say to show EFI partition in OpenCore picker or to have EFI partition mounted in the desktop at boot?

To have the EFI partition mounted at boot.  Clover has that function in the Clover prefpane.

11 hours ago, mnfesq said:

To have the EFI partition mounted at boot.  Clover has that function in the Clover prefpane.

It's off topic but you can do it by the /etc/fstab file. In Terminal

% > sudo pico /etc/fstab

Fstab can have entries relative to volumes so that they are mounted or not when starting macOS. Although it is a deprecated file, that by default in Big Sur is empty, it still works for this function.
Write in fstab:
LABEL=EFI none msdos rw, auto
Save it with Ctrl + O and exit with Ctrl + W.
Reboot.
When booting, the EFI partition should be on your desktop.
Disadvantage: if you have more than one EFI partition, they all will appear on the desktop. In this case, UUID must be used instead of Label.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mnfesq said:

Is there an entry that can be added to the config.plist to force the EFI folder to mount at boot?

1) No. Partitions are mounted by OS, not by bootloader

2) what for?

3) efi is hidden to prevent accidental changes and it is correct

Edited by Rodion2010
  • Confused 1

If I remember correctly when I first tried OC (can't remember which version), the EFI Partition would appear along with the main operations OS's at the Boot Menu, now it's only the main OS volume/volumes that is shown. If I plug in my installer USB Drive then the EFI Partition of that Drive appears in the Boot Menu. 

32 minutes ago, Download-Fritz said:

@eSaF OC does not show itself for obvious reasons

Hi - I understand the concept of the reason why, but am I correct in saying that in earlier releases at one point it did show the EFI partition at the Boot Menu after I installation? To be quite honest I prefer the cleaner look of just showing the Boot/OS volumes making it less cluttered coupled with the choice of what one needs to show by pressing the spacebar or an entry in the config.plist.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 6:00 PM, antuneddu said:

already @miliuco, but also 100mb if you see my efi it's 26mb so there should still be some space left, hidden files :worried_anim:

Schermata 2021-04-15 alle 17.58.41.png

I just checked and have the same hidden folders. The biggest one is the Spotlight folder which is around 3MB. Trashes and the others are almost empty.

I'm not sure why my EFI is only 100MB because i've installed Big Sur from scratch on this laptop and to create the installer i used another Hackintosh and during the installation i initialize the ssd using the Disk Utility in Big Sur installer ... so it's strange ..

Is there something i can do to try to increase the EFI partition size ?

Thanks

Mattia

Open Core 0.6.8 test menu anomaly.

Am not using the GUI for now with 0.6.8.

When adding a text menu item, either by enabling UEFI Shell option in config.plist, OR by adding only one entry via the menu entries area of config.plist, the menu displays and functions as expected in text mode.  

When adding an additional menu entry, such as another linux distro to the config.plist menu entries area, that is when the issue manifests with the picker text menu.

The list of menu items displays normally but the function does not correspond to the text.

For instance, if I have two entries from the vertical menu list, say:

UEFI Shell
GRUB bootloader

I have to click on GRUB bootloader to invoke the UEFI Shell.  If I want GRUB bootloader I have to click on the menu item directly below that entry.  If I want the last item in the menu list I have to click on the empty space below the last item on the list.  

The appearance of the menu list isn't necessarily the issue, but when adding more than one item to the list the functions associated with the new entry, and all the other entries, become disassociated.  The menu entry does not execute the expected function.

The function is shifted to the next line in the vertical menu.

If I remove all but one of the newly added entries then the menu works as expected.

I hope this is clear enough.

If you have duplicated this issue on your machine let know.  If it is a bug should it be reported to a developer in this forum?  Of not, where?

This is the first time trying to do custom menu entries, and because of changing code this issue may not have existed on previous releases of OC.

There are no hardware issues nor installed OS software issues.   Only the mismatch between the menu text entries and the expected function, and only when making more than one new menu entry.    I also used ProperTree to see if making the entries that way would produce a different result, and it didn't, so I don't think it is an issue of incorrect XML syntax/format.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Edited by HenryV
correction
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, eSaF said:

@miliuco - Bro here is the proof of that volume removed from the Boot Menu referring to the posts you and I sheared a few days back. :)

You are right. When I used OC for the first time, HideSelf option did not exist, before I was a Clover user.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 3:17 PM, tonyx86 said:

According to Dortania Guide, USBX is required for USB power properties as an OC post-install step.  If we have USB power properties in USBPorts.kext, is USBX required?

I've seen multiple discussions about this topic (maybe even earlier in this thread), but there seem to be as many opinions as there are posts.  My last two rigs have a custom USB port map (USBPorts.kext) that includes USB power properties.  I update USBPorts.kext/Contents/Info.plist with the matching USB power properties for my selected SMBIOS (extracted from a real Mac ACPI).  I don't inject Device (USBX) on these rigs and USB seems to work perfectly (with the correct power properties in IORegistry).

What's the latest recommended way to configure USB power properties: Device (USBX) or USBPorts.kext?

I also heard from someone who tested different power properties in kext and SSDT and concluded that SSDT is not doing anything but kext is applying the power properties. I am currently using both SSDT and kext. Sleep works fine and I don't want to mess it up. There is no harm in using both.

• Thanks 1

OC Developers - I've been playing with ACPI hot-patching using Base, BaseSkip, Count.  VERY POWERFUL and intuitive.  Note that i never worked extensively with hot-patching via CLOVER, so I can't compare.  With OC, you've managed to eliminate the complexity and actually make it fun!   Outstanding work!  Thank you!

• Like 6

For anyone who's wondering "Does Rehabman's ACPI Debug still work in Open Core 0.6.8?"  The answer is YES!  Currently loading Rehabman's ACPIDebug.kext and injecting SSDT-RMDT with OC 0.6.8 to debug a new hack running Catalina 10.15.7.  Amazing tool from an Amazing contributor.

• Like 4