OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,824 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

@mitch_de I think Illegal characters can only mean  special characters like the vertical seperator "|" (Alt+7), not regular like letters like "l" (lower case L) or "I" (Upper case i). It could just be a bug in the App.

You could run GenSMBIOS and list your current SMBIOS to verify it.

No, its an I like IPHONE. And Andrey1970 posted reason why its illegal (not used in serial). Thanks for help. I will let it until i run in probs - then i know i must generate new serial.

@mitch_de - Hi I am slightly confused why the OCAT of your system produces that data because mine is different, I don't know could it be the SmUUID you chose for your system? Sorry if I misinterpreted your query.

Spoiler

597938835_Screenshot2021-04-07at12_17_04.thumb.png.3337304f46c6610b897a375d4e5dd204.png

19 hours ago, miliuco said:

You say "In the final release of the OC 0.6.8 sample.plist, Quirks KeyInitialDelay and KeySubsequentDelay moved from UEFI> Input to UEFI> AppleInput" and I say no, UEFI > Input hasn't changed from 0.6.7 to 0.6.8, KeyInitialDelay and KeySubsequentDelay have not moved from UEFI > Input to UEFI > AppleInput because they were never in UEFI > Input, at least in final versions.

I stand corrected.  Forgive me - I thought this was a developer thread where we were testing Beta versions.  I will refrain from Beta comments and post only comments relevant to final releases.  Thank you for moderating this thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, joevt said:

I was thinking about the problem of OC Configurator messing up the config. Is there a way for it to know that the config file is a different version than it expects?

No reliable way, no. Configurators have a habit of borking configs no matter whether the version is supported or not, I don't think we see the benefit.

For the rest, yes, I see it is a nice thing, but I do not see what it makes it worth days of implementation and validation. ocvalidate shares most of the code with OC for value validation by the way, so it is not like we maintain a "separate" utility we'd fully control.

169469170_10224100390887952_2463810061981716483_n.thumb.jpg.ae62067d612dd7a2d0fe43be6eb57ad7.jpg

Sorry for bothering with this simplicity, but I don't quite understand what data is wrong .. thank you ..

config.plist

<key>AppleInput</key>
		<dict>
			<key>AppleEvent</key>
			<string>Builtin</string>
			<key>CustomDelays</key>
			<string>Auto</string>
			<key>KeyInitialDelay</key>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<key>KeySubsequentDelay</key>
			<integer>5</integer>
			<key>PointerSpeedDiv</key>
			<integer>1</integer>
			<key>PointerSpeedMul</key>
			<integer>1</integer>
		</dict>

Edited by Derty

@Derty If you were testing a late Beta version of 0.6.8 (or following late Beta 0.6.8 documentation), you'll see that properties KeyInitialDelay, KeySubsequentDelay and AppleEvent moved to property block UEFI > AppleInput.  Edit your config.plist and remove KeyInitialDelay from UEFI > Input, remove KeySubsequentDelay from UEFI > Input and remove AppleEvent from UEFI > ProtocolOverrides.  Leave your UEFI > AppleInput properties.

I had the same problem when I configured my 0.6.8 config.plist using Final Beta documentation.  This late change happened just before the 0.6.8 Final Release.

Edited by tonyx86
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Derty said:

169469170_10224100390887952_2463810061981716483_n.thumb.jpg.ae62067d612dd7a2d0fe43be6eb57ad7.jpg

Sorry for bothering with this simplicity, but I don't quite understand what data is wrong...

Hola, Derty! I hope you're well.

Remove KeyInitialDelay and KeySubsequentDelay from UEFI > Input and remove AppleEvent from UEFI > ProtocolOverrrides. With that it should work.

Edited by miliuco
  • Thanks 1

Short version: OC boots with Legacy OROM/CSM Enabled. OC hangs with EFI ROM/CSM Disabled.

So I found out yesterday that a beta BIOS for my Z68 (in sig) surfaced a while back that enabled UEFI GOP booting. This had been broken in the official BIOS releases so although my BIOS was "UEFI" I always had to boot in Legacy/CSM mode.

After updating and checking it out by booting Windows, I tried OpenCore. However, it's hanging on the [EB|LOG:EXITBS:START] line when I try to boot with UEFI GOP enabled. With Legacy ROM/CSM enabled it boots fine (as this is how I've been booting it from the start). I've gone through all the troubleshooting steps in Dortania's guide and experimented with enabling/disabling various quirks.

I tried some older macOS USB installers and Yosemite booted fine but anything later hung at this line. I'm assuming it's some kind of memory allocation thing but looking through the configuration manual I can't really see what I should change.

I've attached debug logs from uefi and legacy boots. Nothing is jumping out at me from looking through them though. Is it possible the BIOS is lacking some UEFI driver that is causing the hang?

opencore-2021-04-10-085946-UEFI.txt opencore-2021-04-10-090041-LEGACY.txt

Edited by Riley Freeman
Added debug logs

Hi guys,

i know it's slightly off-topic but my EFI partition is too small to host all the kexts i need and also a decent set of icons for OpenCore Canopy  Resources. Is there a way to resize the EFI partition without losing data on the AFPS partition ?

Thanks

mattia

1 hour ago, tmbt said:

Hi guys,

i know it's slightly off-topic but my EFI partition is too small to host all the kexts i need and also a decent set of icons for OpenCore Canopy  Resources. Is there a way to resize the EFI partition without losing data on the AFPS partition ?

Thanks

mattia

Standard size of the EFI partition is 200 MB. An OpenCore 0.6.8 EFI folder with OpenCanopy theme and 13 kexts is less than 10 MB. It's strange what you say. How big is your EFI partition? How big is /EF/OC/Resources/Audio folder?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, miliuco said:

Standard size of the EFI partition is 200 MB. An OpenCore 0.6.8 EFI folder with OpenCanopy theme and 13 kexts is less than 10 MB. It's strange what you say. How big is your EFI partition? How big is /EF/OC/Resources/Audio folder?

I suspect his EFI Folder is oversize because he has all the Audio files in the Resources Folder instead of just choosing the one for his native language.

• Like 2

On 11/15/2020 at 1:27 AM, Stefanalmare said:

For sure you are right. I used VerifyMsrE2.efi and it saes "This firmware has LOCKED MSR 0xE2 register!". That means I have CFG Lock. But I just can't get the offset. I put here the bios and hope a guru will help me! :)

sp96086.exe

Hi @Stefanalmare,

Do you still have somewhere this BIOS file?

I can't download it from HP, their server is down..

Thanks!

Edit: Forget it, HP FTP server is up again.

Edited by pit256
Solved

4 hours ago, eSaF said:

I suspect his EFI Folder is oversize because he has all the Audio files in the Resources Folder instead of just choosing the one for his native language.

But this happened with past versions, when Audio folder sometimes barely fit on the EFI partition. Now in 0.6.8 with all MP3 files (currently 365) Audio folder size is less than 8 MB. It's strange what @tmbt says.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tmbt said:

Hi guys,

Thanks

mattia

Tried emptying the recycle bin of the efi partition? It might be full 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, miliuco said:

@eSaF  @antuneddu

Both of you are right, @tmbt has to empty and regenerate the Audio (Resources maybe) folder and check if there are files in EFI volume's bin. :thumbsup_anim:

At the beginning I also mounted the EFI trashed and trashed by changing the image folder and disassembled the EFI .. I thought that emptying the trash normally would also empty the trash of EFI partition ... but it is not as you well know until I found myself as @tmbt I could put nothing more. I think there is no other plausible explanation for his problem :D

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, antuneddu said:

At the beginning I also mounted the EFI trashed and trashed by changing the image folder and disassembled the EFI .. I thought that emptying the trash normally would also empty the trash of EFI partition ... but it is not as you well know until I found myself as @tmbt I could put nothing more. I think there is no other plausible explanation for his problem :D

Well what I can gather from the post, his EFI Folder is definitely bloated perhaps with unnecessary files.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, antuneddu said:

Mount EFI partition, then clear a trash.

• Like 2

Following 0.6.6, I have updated the Bootstrap process and has LauncherOption = Full (ie. There is an OpenCore option in my BIOS).

The upgrading process on Dortania regarding this aspect and may have been the cause of me having to reflash my BIOS during upgrading to subsequent OpenCore version.

So, may I clarify what is the correct process?

Do I need to remove LauncherOption entry from BIOS prior to updating OpenCore?

What is the easiest step-by-step process?

Thanks