OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,824 posts in this topic

On 2/5/2021 at 8:44 PM, pkdesign said:

Wasn't that the complainant about Clover? How does this show Acidanthera?

The complaint? There are plenty of complaints, but as both OC and Clover allow customisation of this field, this is certainly not one of them. "Apple" vendor is not recommended for various reasons, including Apple tools querying it (the kind of tools we do not want to run) and reports to Apple making it obvious it is not official hardware. There is no known drawback to it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2021 at 5:01 AM, Download-Fritz said:

The complaint? There are plenty of complaints ...

I disagree.  How does one complain about software that is maintained at no cost to the end user with countless hours of outstanding support and response to user questions?  Both the OC and CLOVER teams are to be commended for their incredible work and commitment.  Now I definitely agree that there are many issues that have yet to be resolved.  Complaints?  Don't really do much good.

• Like 1

@Mork vom Ork Writing to the FS in UEFI is dangerous and known to cause corruption (if you mean permanently editing config.plist). Just changing parameters for the boot would not be terrible, however there are security concern (arbitrary boot args / adding kexts / ...) for most of the functionality, and the "safe" functionality was not really needed so far. External contributions could be discussed at some point, but we have no plans.

@MifJpn Maybe bisect the problematic commit if you believe it is not a config issue?

@tonyx86 I picked up the word from the original post, and it is obvious it means something like "design issues OC (supposedly) fixed".

Edited by Download-Fritz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MifJpn said:

Hello everyone.
I have compiled bf999acf6e04efda9780a1099648bd5ce393774c for OpenCore 0.6.7.
When I used it, Catalina recovery could not boot.(pause and menu screen)
What about you?

Thank you.

IMG20210208193209.thumb.jpg.598e2588a61f4d04b1763c0adbb20988.jpg

If you want to get an answer, then submit the download log (debug = 67 in the config.plist).

USE https://dortania.github.io/builds/?product=OpenCorePkg&viewall=true it is safer.

1284553680_2021-02-0821_23_03.png.e0e2bf4a9ebee3fb718e0534ce88212e.png

I'm reading that OpenHfsPlus.efi  is slower than HFSPlus.efi: well, this is not my case :D

Just to report it, as it seems all (or most of users) are experiencing this.

Before OpenHfsPlus.efi there was another driver from Acidanthera (sorry, I don't remember what was the file name), and yes that old driver was very slow (several minutes) compared to HFSPlusLegacy.efi (I was using the legacy version of the driver).

Now with OpenHfsPlus.efi I'm able to boot into recovery in about 40s (starting to take time from the bootpicker to the window of the recovery); the same (or a couple of seconds more) is with HFSPlusLegacy.efi.

Edited by ghost8282
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Hervé said:

It happened to me too, not this time with the 11.2.1 from 11.2, but with older updates, last time if I remember well to update to 11.2 (virtual machine on kvm/qemu), but I'm not sure what caused it, if a bug in OVMF_VARS/OVMF_CODE or other..

No updates available both from the terminal and the system preferences (gui).

When this happens I delete OVMF_VARS.fd and OVMF_CODE.fd, replace that files with fresh ones, reboot and after this the update shows (most probably deleting/replacing only OVMF_VARS.fd is enough).

Resetting the nvram from the picker doesn't help.

However again, I'm not sure on what it depends.

On the next update when the issue will show (if it will show) I will keep a backup of the 2 files which I will delete to compare.

Edited by ghost8282

My BS 11.2 to 11.2.1 upgrade completed with one minor issue that resolved itself.  Details below...

Updated my HackMini8,1 from BS 11.2 to BS 11.2.1 with almost no issues.  After the first reboot, OC 0.6.6 correctly selected the 'Macintosh HD' volume.  After the second reboot, OC correctly selected the primary BS volume.  After the 3rd reboot, OC correctly selected the primary BS volume, but a 4th reboot occurred (with a shutdown error).  However, after the 4th reboot, BS was completely upgraded to 11.2.1.  My system details are below with more documented here.

About This Mac: BS 11.2.1 (20D74)

Spoiler

1163468221_ScreenShot2021-02-11at6_55_39AM.png.4f7946384843ff5809a0b77b07bfaa72.png

EDIT: I am running Catalina 10.15.7 on this same system (Catalina is still my production environment).  My supplemental update of Catalina 10.15.7 completed without any issues.  The update was flawless using the exact same EFI that I'm using for BS (OC 0.6.6).

About This Mac: Catalina 10.15.7 (19H524)

Spoiler

639128319_ScreenShot2021-02-11at9_14_25AM.png.510fc198fd6138b8641d89ae74b09461.png

System Details:

• OC: 0.6.6 Release Build (Text boot picker, HFSPlus.efi)
  • SMBIOS: MacMini8,1
  • Chipset: Q370
  • CPU: CoffeeLake i7-8700
  • Graphics: UHD630 (iGPU-only)
  • Displays: 3 x DP -> DigitalDVI
  • Memory: 32GB DDR4 (2x16GB)
  • Storage: 2 x M.2 NVMe SSD, 1 x 2TB SATA6 HD
  • Other detail that may be unique to this system: HPET is disabled via ACPI patch (see why, here)

Edited by tonyx86
Added notes about Catalina 10.15.7 supplemental update
  • Like 1

Hey guys! I have some trouble. I have Intel Xeon E2690v1, BigSur 11.2.1, Win 10 Pro 20H2 on different SSD and trouble with all these. When I load in Win from OC my CPU work only on 2,4-2,88Ghz. No turboboost and no speedstep for lowers numbers. If I load from BIOS - all work perfectly. I found that if I turn off dropping "Delete CpuPm" in ACPI - CPU in windows through OC works perfectly. But in dortania's manual for my CPU I need to drop CPU tables... Without it, I haven't speedstep and turboboost in macOS... Any ideas on how to isolated dropping tables only for macOS or any other help? Will appreciate for help.

Added my EFI if you need it. Here my OC 0.6.4 but it doesn't matter I think.

EFI.zip

Edited by Frankovich
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Hervé said:

I believe the Dortania OpenCore guide full details the steps you ought to follow in order to configure proper CPU power management settings for your Sandy Bridge EP CPU; I suggest you read those again (or for the 1st time if you've never consulted the place). You would be expected to remove dropping of those tables after you've generated and installed the SSDT table created by Pike R Alpha's well-known generator script.

Dortania's OpenCore guide not a full details the steps for CPU power management settings and USB for my x79, but with Google and Dortania I fixed my trouble. Thanks.

14 hours ago, Hervé said:

On re-enabling SIP or setting csr-active-config to 0x67 or 0x3e7 (i.e. values typically set in Clover before), all is Ok and the update is offered and fully downloadable.

I have that field empty (now I have the doubt that this may be not right...), I set sip through the terminal, sip is enabled and authenticated-root is enabled too (no custom config, all shows as "Enabled"). But still sometimes the updates don't show.

sip.png.cc6a55c9ff3df38044108167d53d8892.png

This remains the only way to get updates when it hangs with "no updates available".

Edited by ghost8282

24 minutes ago, ghost8282 said:

I have that field empty (now I have the doubt that this may be not right...), I set sip through the terminal, sip is enabled and authenticated-root is enabled too (no custom config, all shows as "Enabled"). But still sometimes the updates don't show.

sip.png.cc6a55c9ff3df38044108167d53d8892.png

This remains the only way to get updates when it hangs with "no updates available".

With SIP enabled, do you have in config.plist:

<key>SecureBootModel</key>
<string>Disabled</string>

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

With SIP enabled, do you have in config.plist:

<key>SecureBootModel</key>
<string>Disabled</string>

mmm no..it's "Default"

If I remember well, with "Disabled" I had issues with updates.

Edited by ghost8282
  • Sad 1

On 9/11/2020 at 10:56 PM, pkdesign said:

But now at boot I get following:

OCSB: No suitable signature - Security Violation

OCB: Apple Secure Boot prohibits this boot entry, enforcing!

OCB: LoadImage failed - Security Violation

Not sure which of these are wrong or if I need any of them at all.

On 9/11/2020 at 11:03 PM, iGPU said:

There's one new entry that I'm not seeing in your list: set Misc/Security/SecureBootModel to "Disabled".

I have the same problem, it gives me this error and yet I moved securebootmodel to NO, but I don't have disabled. can I see your plist?

Capture d’écran 2021-02-13 à 03.02.49.png

Do You know why Hackintool displays this info about IGPU?
pic.png.3cc9cb40cbf15b0507dffd886994aefb.png

VdaDecoderChecker shows: Hardware acceleration is fully supported, and I have UHD 630 accel in Videoproc. Do I need to check something else to confirm that it's fully working? My main video card is Radeon RX 570. MacOS 10.15.7.

@hardcorehenry There have been multiple fix commits to the new mechanism, please reproduce with latest master in a few minutes or hours (vit is updating the code yet again at the moment). Sorry :)

EDIT: https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/commit/c97baf360beb66b2be8c653c0fa4241c73d9a211

Edited by Download-Fritz
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gorans said:

Do You know why Hackintool displays this info about IGPU?

What version of Hackintool?   I'm running Hackintool v3.5.3 which reports the following for my rig:

VDA Decoder

Spoiler

1787425197_ScreenShot2021-02-14at9_31_37AM.png.f3759315918e3c37694480a8736bb056.png

IGPU

Spoiler

857128975_ScreenShot2021-02-14at9_31_53AM.png.a10024828847d3002cdc4f1e02c5ef61.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hervé said:

Check what SysInfo shows. If Ok, contact Hackintool author as it would not be OpenCore related, would it?

If by SysInfo You mean System Information, it doesn't show IGPU at all. In Activity monitor I also have only RX 570. I don't know if that is expected behavior, that's why I'm checking here. Thanks.

@tonyx86 I have 3.5.3 also. VDA decoder also says Fully Supported, but GPU name is "Intel ???". Do You drive a display with Your iGPU?

Edited by gorans