OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,826 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, plsh2me said:

Themes are not loading as previously I had picker mode>external on v0.66. Anything extra need to do?

Try the link above your post, recommended by blackosx, you may find the answer to your query.

• Like 1

EDIT: I will be reverting to HfsPlust.efi as per recommendation from @Andrey1970.  OpenHfsPlus.efi is included in the OC 0.6.6 release package, but it should not be used at this time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upgraded from 0C 0.6.5 to OC 0.6.6 with the config.plist changes listed here.  Also replaced HfsPlus.efi with OpenHfsPlus.efi.  Used this new EFI to upgrade from BS 11.1 to BS 11.2 with NO PROBLEMS.  OC and BS upgrade were flawless.

Edited by tonyx86

I like the boot chime, but not enough to put up with the annoying audio "pop" during macOS startup (caused by AudioDxe.efi).  I found this to be true with CLOVER, too, so it's not an OC issue.  Does anyone have a way to eliminate the audio "pop" caused by AudioDxe.efi while retaining the boot chime?

Edited by tonyx86

18 minutes ago, tonyx86 said:

I like the boot chime, but not enough to put up with the annoying audio "pop" during macOS startup (caused by AudioDxe.efi).  I found this to be true with CLOVER, too, so it's not an OC issue.  Does anyone have a way to eliminate the audio "pop" caused by AudioDxe.efi while retaining the boot chime?

Maybe with antipop ?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, tonyx86 said:

An incorrect assumption on my part.  Google.

I have seen antipop I think it will not work for this because antipop is load from  LaunchDaemons so after the boot process

Edited by chris1111
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

I have seen antipop I think it will not work for this because antipop is load from  LaunchDaemons so after the boot process

I thought your were joking about Antipop (the American rock band).  I have considered AppleHDA controller startup delay (via alc-delay property or alcdelay boot-arg) but wasn't sure if this would solve the problem.  If I have time, I'll experiment with antipop and the AppleHDA delay (unless someone has a better idea).

Edited by tonyx86
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tonyx86 said:

I thought your were joking about Antipop (the American rock band).  I have considered AppleHDA controller startup delay (via alc-delay property or alcdelay boot-arg) but wasn't sure if this would solve the problem.  If I have time, I'll experiment with the AppleHDA delay (unless someone has a better idea).

No No :P  antipop is old but its still works on motherboards ( Some GA board) that have a Poping sound

3 hours ago, Andrey1970 said:

HfsPlus.efi works quicker.

Thanks - I have seen those comments.  I switched because of the security comments I read while reviewing some of the OC commits.  You recommend staying with HFSPlus.efi for now?

EDIT: Reverting to HfsPlus.efi after comments below from Andrey1970.

Edited by tonyx86
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, tonyx86 said:

Thanks - I have seen those comments.  I switched because of the security comments I read while reviewing some of the OC commits.  You recommend staying with HFSPlus.efi for now?

EDIT: @Andrey1970 - I haven't been running OC0.6.6/OpenHfsPlus.efi for very long, but I haven't noticed any significant change in boot time (I'm booting from SSD, so I wouldn't expect HFS driver to affect boot) and I'm not seeing any change in USB mounting / unmounting times.  Also, data transfer to/from USB3 seems fine.  If there's a trade-off between security and USB performance and OpenHfsPlus.efi improves OC security validation, I'm fine with OpenHfsPlus.efi based on my initial observations.

Who told you that the proprietary driver from Apple not security?

For example, loading Recovery 10.15 and older, will be more slowly with OpenHfsPlus.efi

Vit about OpenHfsPlus.efi https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/pull/185#issuecomment-770483141

• Like 1

20 hours ago, eSaF said:

Try the link above your post, recommended by blackosx, you may find the answer to your query.

I figured it out. Replaced the new OpenCanopy.efi with previous one, that's it.

@blackosx I request to the developers to update the driver to solve the theme issue.

• Like 1

@Andrey1970 I stand corrected.  Since OpenHfsPlus.efi is included in the released OC 0.6.6 pkg, I thought that OpenHfsPlus.efi was the Acidanthera-approved solution to address this issue.  Thanks for setting me straight.  I will be reverting to the HfsPlus.efi that I had been using.  Thank you.

----------------------------------------

Done... I have reverted to HfsPlus.efi and have revised my Guide here.

Edited by tonyx86
  • Like 1

@plsh2me
There is no issue. You need to adapt to the requirements of the new release which is to have a Left and Right icon to support the latest changes.

By replacing OpenCanopy.efi with a previous version, you have downgraded. 

Edited by blackosx
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, blackosx said:

Exactly!!! - I am booting with OC 0.6.7 with no issues what so ever, I think his issue lies elsewhere.

@blackosx - As you can see my system is now rocking your latest offering - Thanks. :thumbsup_anim:

Spoiler

03091738.thumb.png.6d1da507a36abc05ee918bc7507a46c4.png03092748.thumb.png.b39cb3a1c7b2f6f908952ed550e65693.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blackosx said:

@plsh2me
There is no issue. You need to adapt to the requirements of the new release which is to have a Left and Right icon to support the latest changes.

Thank you.

You are absolutely right. 

Added the icons and replaced the latest driver. 

All OK.

Hello all! First time posting on this thread, but @AudioGod pointed me here to offer my experience on an issue I’ve encountered with the version of OpenHfsPlus.efi bundled with OC 0.6.6: With an external HFS+ volume attached via USB before/at boot time, the graphical boot picker hangs such that no boot options are displayed, thus making booting impossible & necessitating a reset & use of an alternate boot method (F12 or reversion to OC 0.6.5). Reverting to HfsPlus.efi under OC 0.6.6 rectifies the at-boot hang problem, and is what I’m currently using. Either OpenHfsPlus.efi or HfsPlus.efi seem to work for external HFS+ volumes connected after boot.

I go into longer detail in posts on pages 172 & 173 of the “AudioGod's Aorus Z390 Pro Patched DSDT Mini Guide and Discussion” thread, and installed OC 0.6.6 with the bootpicker only going to text due to the graphical updates not having been applied, mentioned in an entry on page 171; I believe the external USB drive was attached at that time (rarely disconnect it), but I don’t remember for sure. I also don’t remember (cannot verify the lack of) a hang or any other difficulty upon boot, through the text-based bootpicker, with OpenHfsPlus.efi installed. I can say (as expected) that trying to reproduce the issue now with an OC 0.6.5 Resources folder in an otherwise updated OC 0.6.6 folder stops boot at "OCUI: Failed to load images / OC: External interface failure, fallback to builtin - Unsupported."

The only other potentially salient detail I can think of is that there is another volume on the external USB, which is NTFS. I have read/write access to it in macOS via Paragon NTFS for Mac.

Thanks for any insight you may have, and feel free to let me know if I should test newer versions of OpenHfsPlus.efi from the repo!

Edited by juan e. jot
Add detail about failure of retry to bring up text-only boot picker in OC 0.6.6 by subbing in old 0.6.5 Resources folder

7 hours ago, Andrey1970 said:

Read all this page above.

Thanks for your reply. Yup, have been doing so, and it looks like my fallback to HfsPlus.efi is at least currently warranted. Just wondered whether the development direction for OpenHfsPlus.efi would include addressing External HFS+ at boot time making the boot picker hang, or given the bunch of issues (including security!), whether it was going to be dropped from the official OC 0.6.7-and-on masters, until fixed/security-audited/proven (if demonstrable) to be better than other HFS+ drivers?

Edited by juan e. jot

1 hour ago, juan e. jot said:

Thanks for your reply. Yup, have been doing so, and it looks like my fallback to HfsPlus.efi is at least currently warranted. Just wondered whether the development direction for OpenHfsPlus.efi would include addressing External HFS+ at boot time making the boot picker hang, or given the bunch of issues (including security!), whether it was going to be dropped from the official OC 0.6.7-and-on masters, until fixed/security-audited/proven (if demonstrable) to be better than other HFS+ drivers?

OpenHfsPlus.efi completely works, but he slow, therefore HfsPlus.efi is recommended.
You can a bugreport to Acidanthera and having provided a log, but most likely the priority will be low.