OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,826 posts in this topic

On 1/18/2021 at 8:39 PM, tonyx86 said:

Ok - maybe I'm missing something.  Part of that thread was intended to show how to emulate NVRAM and then to provide a work-around for installing Big Sur.  Are you saying you followed the Dortania NVRAM emulation and that didn't work for you?

Yep! No nvram.plist, no variables kept. More or less the same machine HP xw4600 (same, without native nvram) works OK with emulated.

Update:

After a lot of tryings and search it was a bad LogoutHook.command compilation. I change it and all OK now. HP DC7800 full working with latest BS beta. Kind a happy!!!!!

Edited by Stefanalmare

With the latest OC commits compiled, I find my Arch Linux isn't able to boot anymore through OC. Anyone else encounter this with Linux with the latest compiled version of the latest commits? I'll have to downgrade OC to previous commits to see where the Linux boot issue started.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Awesome Donkey said:

With the latest OC commits compiled, I find my Arch Linux isn't able to boot anymore through OC. Anyone else encounter this with Linux with the latest compiled version of the latest commits? I'll have to downgrade OC to previous commits to see where the Linux boot issue started.

I'm in the same boat, Ubuntu won't boot.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, ic005k said:

I'm in the same boat, Ubuntu won't boot.

Yes, can confirm it. I tried different Linux distros, and while OC will boot to its GRUB bootloader, if you select any options like that it'll start to boot, USB will turn off (as it does when re-initialization during boot) but boot will stall and USB won't re-initialize.

It's caused by commit 1c445a9, OpenCore: Switch to application type for better FW compatibility.

12 minutes ago, Awesome Donkey said:

Yes, can confirm it. I tried different Linux distros, and while OC will boot to its GRUB bootloader, if you select any options like that it'll start to boot, USB will turn off (as it does when re-initialization during boot) but boot will stall and USB won't re-initialize.

It's caused by commit 1c445a9, OpenCore: Switch to application type for better FW compatibility.

Hey Buddy,

You can always do the following and bypass OpenCore for other OS instead or until it’s fixed.

Kernel -> Quirks -> CustomSMBIOSGuid -> True

Platforminfo -> CustomSMBIOSMode -> Custom

:thumbsup_anim:

Edited by AudioGod
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

Hey Buddy,

You can always do the following and bypass OpenCore for other OS instead or until it’s fixed.

Kernel -> Quirks -> CustomSMBIOSGuid -> True

Platforminfo -> CustomSMBIOSMode -> Custom

:thumbsup_anim:

I'm already doing it, but it appears that GRUB (when booting it with OC) doesn't seem to like that OC's a UEFI application - if you revert OC back to a UEFI driver, GRUB works fine again.

• Like 3

Regarding Linux not booting regression. Please file an issue on github (better just one) and attach your EFI folder and configuration description. Afterwards:

1. Check that https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/commit/dc1a0d8a2227e99eeecae82a8a466f42575599b4 boots fine.

2. That https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/commit/1c445a99d653a510b5561b2995735db2d7b3d611 does not.

3. Disable literally every quirk, driver, kext, patch, anything, and retry if the Linux boots.

4. If it does not, check that https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/commit/dc1a0d8a2227e99eeecae82a8a466f42575599b4 boots fine, and attach this clean EFI folder as well.

5. If it does, find the culprit and name it on the issue.

In case (4) I will provide several test builds to determine the problem. It will strongly help if you could do serial logging on Linux and provide what exactly happens there.

• Like 2

Is there a specific OC quirk/setting required to enable HEVC/H.265 encoding in Big Sur with i3 and i5 CoffeeLake CPUs (IGPU UHD630 with no dGPU)?  Details below...

Since I posted my guide for the HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini, I have received several reports from individual users that H.265/HEVC encoding is not available (as detected with VideoProc.app) after upgrading from Catalina to Big Sur.  On my personal rig with an i7-8700 CPU (CoffeeLake, UHD630), VideoProc.app detects H.265/HEVC as available.  One common denominator in those users reporting that H.265/HEVC is not available is that their rigs have i3 and i5 CoffeeLake CPUs (still with UHD630)  I don't have enough of a sample to say with certaintly that H.265/HEVC availability depends on the i3/i5/i7 CPU model.  Has anyone else observed this or does anyone have H.265/HEVC available with their i3 or i5 CoffeeLake CPU?  Is there an OC quirk/setting that must be enabled for HEVC/H.265 encoding with i3/i5?

EDIT: After collecting more data, it does not appear that there is a correlation between CPU model and H.265/HEVC availability.  I now have reports from users with i5s that do have HEVC and from users with i9s that do not have HEVC.  Still collecting more data...

Thank you.

Edited by tonyx86

4 minutes ago, ameenjuz said:

anyone guide me about launcheroption and launcherpath

I set it launcheroption=Full and launcherpath=Default

But after restart windows boot directly  i can't see boot menu 

Make sure your using the latest compile of OC as that was corrected a few commits ago. 
I had the same problem and corrected it by entering the EFI path under launcherpath but you don’t need to do that with that latest version.

1 minute ago, AudioGod said:

If you don’t want a boot strap then yeah.

I use launcheroption=Full launcherpath=default

Thanks.

I don't want bootstrap. But I don't test launcheroption=Full launcherpath=default

• Like 2

@AudioGod :thanks_speechbubble: realy appreciated

many laptops are require different path to boot dualboot

My laptop is boot windows from bootmgfw.efi 

Now i got it right way for dualboot

I set  launcheroption=Full and launcherpath \EFI\OC\OpenCore.efi

Now worked perfectlly daul booting

• Like 4

I just applied the Catalina 10.15.7 (19H512) security update and Safari update to my rig.  The update was flawless (with OC 0.6.5 even selecting the correct macOS Install volume when the installer rebooted).  For those of you long time OC users, I'm sure that this is just expected behavior.  For me, a recent convert, the seamless upgrade was a very pleasant surprise.  Well done Acidanthera team.