OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,826 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Download-Fritz said:

@Riley Freeman You should not point boot options to drivers, OC is a driver. What happens when you point to Bootstrap or BOOTx64? Maybe it is corrupt. Use the DEBUG version and observe for output.

Thanks. I didn't know that. In the past with Clover I used to point it to Clover.efi. I'll give it a try later and report back. However, it's worked fine in the past (and now) by pointing it to OpenCore.efi.

OK, so I just tried both. Bootstrap works fine. Bootx64 give me a "OC: failed to load configuration" error. So I'll leave it pointing to Bootstrap.efi.

Edited by Riley Freeman

On 12/9/2020 at 7:12 PM, Alpha999 said:

Hello jlrycm

If you already have the same settings as below, I'm sorry.

There is a way to fix the problem I get from booting Windows. It's a setting that stops pretending to be a Mac when booting Windows as possible as.
It is as follows.

Kernel
    Quirks
        (DisableRtcChecksum: Yes (True); Prevents the ASUS BIOS CMOS from breaking my Mobo is ASUS)
        CustomSMBIOSGuid: Yes (True)
UEFI
    Quirks
        RequestBootVarRouting: No (False)
Misc
    Security
        BootProtect: None
PlatformInfo
    UpdateSMBIOSMode: Custom

If the above settings don't work, I think you have to put a boot selector in front of the OpenCore and chain load it or change to Clover.

Thanks a lot @Alpha999 for your feedback. I’ll verify and get back to the forum with results.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, najeeb_anwer said:

Hi everyone,

I really need some help. I am trying to create an OpenCore 0.6.4 / macOS Catalina USB installer, but for some reason I just can't get it to work.

The "Install macOS Catalina" app was downloaded & created using gibMacOS.

I have attached my config.plist

I get the following errors:

image.thumb.png.8fb78afdf7636d32db9888a53e915a2a.png

config.plist

Hi try here - https://github.com/topics/hackintosh?o=desc&s=updated - There are quite a few successful EFI examples and maybe you'll find one close enough to your specs to try or compare to see what is missing from your setup. Good luck.

8 hours ago, eSaF said:

Hi try here - https://github.com/topics/hackintosh?o=desc&s=updated - There are quite a few successful EFI examples and maybe you'll find one close enough to your specs to try or compare to see what is missing from your setup. Good luck.

Thanks. I'll look at the examples.

3 hours ago, Alpha999 said:

I'm sorry if you have already seen it.
There seems to be the following.

https://github.com/leon0410898/XPS13-9300-hackintosh/tree/master/EFI_xps9300_4k_1035G1

I would be honored if it was helpful.

Thank you. I'll try using the example EFI and will let you know if it was successful.

• Like 3

@vit9696

Hi, thank you and all the OC developers. 

I'm asking for a thing that i don't know if it would be possible! My experience with chameleon (EFI), Clover, Ozmosis, was simple to use and for knowledge in the earlier years, but for sure required a time to understand the things for different hardwares. Now for OpenCore, it become more difficult and needs more caring of what to put or use and what to not. Opencore as i've understood, talk too much with the UEFI firmware "what i want to talk about" and even more than more than the other bootloaders, and speak with almost everything in the machine or OSs as well. Whatever i did with other bootloaders, it doesn't bothered the UEFI firmware as OC do. From my perspective it's KINDA sharp, you know, i mean it can be aggressive.

I've a Z87X-UD3H, and i felt after one week of using OC, that the MoBo will brick in some day. The NVRAM is half corrupted, sometime i have to clean it to be able to enter UEFI settings (even if it write it each time inside the NVRAM of the firmware "ResetNVRAM"), Windows is suffering from performances in games, from 60 FPS to 27 FPS. RTC doesn't got fixed with many patches, clock under the UEFI is counting by double seconds, sometimes the machine shutdown itself, and cannot be running unless waiting a minute to be able to power on. The ACPI samples are given in ACPI 6.xx while the machine operates under ACPI 5 and some 4 specially for CPU SSDTs which they makes the machine running like crazy 'translating the code to 5 is sometimes difficult unless knowledge which is 3 years of learning' We would appreciate if you can add ACPI 5 code especially for 6, 7, 8, 9 series MoBos.

I would love and like if you can do some efforts to make the bootloader less intense, expressive and active with UEFI, to be like other bootloaders, and so OC will be better or even best in therms of communication. So the running will be passive, and focusing only with macOS or any Apple OS X, like for example the way of OSDW does for the OSs (Darwin, Linux and Windows). Also if you can add some ACPI samples in ACPI less than the current, because of the translated code isn't the same.

This is just because it's now the only powerful bootloader, able to run Apple OSs well done.

This was my suggestion, knowing my experience with OC and other bootloaders, and i don't know if other users have had same or other issues.

Please have all my respect and thank you for that delicious work, cordially!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, Alpha999 said:

Hello ammoune78

I feel the same way.

Therefore, I think that OpenCore 0.6.4 allowed a certain amount of sweetness. It is as follows.

https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/1222#issuecomment-739241310

Even before that, I had a problem with the BIOS breaking, not just NV-RAM, so I consulted and solved it.

https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/1224

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&u=https://mifmif.mydns.jp/alpha/?p%3D785

I still use both Clover and OpenCore.

I feel that each has its own good points and some bad points.

The choice of use depends on the user's freedom.

However, in my opinion, both boot loaders are hard to throw away.

Thank you.

Thanks for the given infos @Alpha999, but i keep hopping that @vit9696 will read my words. Because i'm one of who do not dual boot macOS/Windows, i always keep profiling my UEFI settings to separate the drives that boot to apple/Windows, and to keep any misconfusion between UEFI/macOS/Windows. Because for both OSs, each one have it's own priority for me and maybe for others, so it's better for me to tell the UEFI that now I'll boot macOS, lets load it's settings and disable Windows drives and vice-versa. Altering the NVRAM also after each boot , the NVRAM file inside the firmware become from boot to boot full, if not it will be by writing NVRAMReset on each time i do cleaning NVRAM. I had that problem previously on a Mac Pro 5,1 using Opencore, and I stopped using it because the NVRAM explode. Solving that issues, makes the machines life longer, better, and and also our bag from getting empty, especially if not that much $ to buy new build. I keep hopping, to be honest ^_^, because i like macOS, OpenCore, Windows and my machine to :D.

Edited by ammoune78
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2020 at 8:34 AM, Alpha999 said:

Furthermore, since UEFI is in Identity Mapped Paging mode as it is, the MMCONFIG area is also virtualized with RUNTIMEBIT set. This is useless, so it can be devirtualized and the page can be in physical memory, giving you more space for the initial kernel.
However, depending on the CPU, Cipset, and device, the firmware may require a virtualized address map derived from UEFI, so it is necessary to put it in the Whitelist and virtualize it.

Yes. macOS does not use virtual addressing for MMIO at all (and rightfully so), just borked UEFIs may try to (hence the whitelist).

15 hours ago, ammoune78 said:

Opencore as i've understood, talk too much with the UEFI firmware "what i want to talk about" and even more than more than the other bootloaders, and speak with almost everything in the machine or OSs as well. Whatever i did with other bootloaders, it doesn't bothered the UEFI firmware as OC do.

I'm sorry, but all of that is nonsense. The Bootstrap option @Alpha999 linked is exclusive to OpenCore for ease-of-use with certain devices and is generally not recommended to be used for no reason. It is known to cause issues due to firmware bugs (yes, the firmware bricks itself basically). BootstrapShort is more likely to work fine. Please note some of these issues are actually reproducible with GRUB or Windows, just with OC you are more likely to run into them (e.g. NVRAM reset). Basically, if you say Clover works "better" in general, there is no reason to turn this on in the first place, Clover has no such functionality, so you will not miss it.

As for the rest, no. Quite the opposite, while Clover relies to magic automatic fixes (DSDT patches, register corrections, ...) that partially are not even configurable (and thus you do not see/notice them as a user), OpenCore does not perform actions unless told to. So, it is less likely that OC is "too aggressive" for your machine, but rather not aggressive enough because you lack such patches. It is true that OpenCore requires more careful configuration than Clover and there are no plans now or for the future to change this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Download-Fritz said:

I'm sorry, but all of that is nonsense. The Bootstrap option @Alpha999 linked is exclusive to OpenCore for ease-of-use with certain devices and is generally not recommended to be used for no reason. It is known to cause issues due to firmware bugs (yes, the firmware bricks itself basically). BootstrapShort is more likely to work fine. Please note some of these issues are actually reproducible with GRUB or Windows, just with OC you are more likely to run into them (e.g. NVRAM reset). Basically, if you say Clover works "better" in general, there is no reason to turn this on in the first place, Clover has no such functionality, so you will not miss it.

As for the rest, no. Quite the opposite, while Clover relies to magic automatic fixes (DSDT patches, register corrections, ...) that partially are not even configurable (and thus you do not see/notice them as a user), OpenCore does not perform actions unless told to. So, it is less likely that OC is "too aggressive" for your machine, but rather not aggressive enough because you lack such patches. It is true that OpenCore requires more careful configuration than Clover and there are no plans now or for the future to change this.

No, i wasn't about to tell you that Clover is better, but instead, some of it's functionalities if added to OpenCore will be the best, and more not the automatic things like you said, but instead, switching from Clover in macOS only to Windows by not using Clover instead, do nothing to the Firmware, as you know! Or even more Ozmosis way, always in the BIOS, but speaking only with macOS things and forget Windows or whatever OS, except injecting FileSystems drivers into the BIOS. It's experimental, but will let the things to be more for general users, not expecting some to switch between OSs by OpenCore, for unsupported Macs, i agree with you, if the Mac isn't supported, switching between Windows macOS and Linux will be needed. But my machine is build to run natively for Windows, so where is the need of OpenCore here. I use whatever boot loader is for only one raison: Apple OS, for me it's enough. ACPI files are carefully Build by you Devs, but, in some cases like mine, it makes the Firmware sometimes like crazy. And it would be better if you can generate files for ACPI 5 for exemple which is used by 4 Series Chipsets. Because i'll like to use yours instead of going and make mine which is going to be the bad thing i'll do while using OpenCore.

I'm not saying OpenCore has bad things, no, i'm just proposing a thing that will be very helpful and that would make things easier for some and some MoBOs. And it is so far now the most popular, even before to be released, you all are doing an immense work out there, because the most magic Hackintosh minds are OpenCore Developers, and this is why especially I keep hopping these things can have a place in your calendar.

@Download-Fritz , thank you, and i know why i'm thanking you ^_^

• Like 1

@ammoune78 - Sorry if I misread your post and thoughts but are you suggesting different OC files for every Chipset Platform or for every Motherboard? As you're aware all Apple boards are manufactured for their various machines and are all virtually the same. As far as I understand,OC was developed to fit a range of machines across a wider spectrum. Like I said I am sorry if I'm wrong in my assumption, I am not a Dev and my knowledge on the subject is very small and limited although I am constantly learning and trying to understand. :)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, eSaF said:

@ammoune78 - Sorry if I misread your post and thoughts but are you suggesting different OC files for every Chipset Platform or for every Motherboard? As you're aware all Apple boards are manufactured for their various machines and are all virtually the same. As far as I understand,OC was developed to fit a range of machines across a wider spectrum. Like I said I am sorry if I'm wrong in my assumption, I am not a Dev and my knowledge on the subject is very small and limited although I am constantly learning and trying to understand. :)

No prob Mate, no, I was meaning SSDT.dsl samples was made by ACPI code v6.xx, when it come to some Motherboards, like Z68, Z77, Z87 and Z97 series chipset which was made by ACPI 5 and less code, it creates some bugs in the firmware itself, because the RSDT or XSDT itself isn't in ACPI6.xx. I was saying that it will be great for use if they are generated in ACPI 5 like SSDT-PLUG, SSDT-EC and so on. And another suggestion, to let OC more passive in therms of communicating with the UEFI itself, and be communicating with only macOS and forgot other OS's if no dual boot using OpenCore. I mean like I do, I disable macOS drives from the BIOS settings and save that profile to Windows, then I start my PC directly from that profile if I want to boot Windows. And vice versa, disabling Windows drives and make macOS profile, then boot my pc directly from it if I want to use OpenCore or whatever macOS bootloader is. When using OpenCore like that I have lose performances, pretty much a half per 100, while with other bootloaders, there's no 1 per 100 lost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@ammoune78 The firmware itself does not use APCI, the whole point of ACPI is to provide an abstraction of the hardware to the OS... the firmware does not need abstractions, it knows what it runs on. If you believe you have ACPI-related problems, you are free to research them or detail the symptoms, because this high-level speculation is, I am sorry, plain wrong.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Download-Fritz said:

@ammoune78 The firmware itself does not use APCI, the whole point of ACPI is to provide an abstraction of the hardware to the OS... the firmware does not need abstractions, it knows what it runs on. If you believe you have ACPI-related problems, you are free to research them or detail the symptoms, because this high-level speculation is, I am sorry, plain wrong.

Would you like please to check my EFI, so maybe i'm doing something wrong? I've tried my best and the result is this last EFI, which have minimal things, i guess, but still performances down. Would you like @Download-Fritz to check it.

EFI.zip

@ammoune78 Well, use Acidanthera SSDTs. Your XCPM-SSDT does not apply _DSM conditionally, I don't know whether that can cause issues. I don't see why Windows wouldn't run otherwise, many people use SSDT-PLUG with Windows. You could disable the SSDT (I don't see any other ACPI patches?) and try Windows with no additional mods. It's possible your quirks setup screw with Windows otherwise.

• Like 1

It is a bad vandalism. Should be ignored.(I am surprised)
So I say only this,and I will ignore it.
Everything is in its own position.
It is normal.
The following is my opinion. You can ignore it at all.
Even if it is true,but It is not impossible to deceive yourself and others so that the problem does not manifest itself and is not bad to not confuse the society. Such a position may also be admitted.
I think it may be misleading to say something that looks dogmatic.
But the facts are facts. You are free to say that.
It might not stop how people understand it.
When I think about the many hardships of developers, I can only help alleviate the problem.
I don't think it's a very good opinion. It is true that I don't want to say that.
I'm really sorry.
And should be ignored that bad vandalism saying.

About what you’re talking, didn’t understood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My friend first of all, i have been using hackintosh for many years, and as it's, you should know that problems aren't to be left. If the MoBo bricked it's not the fault of the developers, because they will never take the responsability, because it's ours. They do the best to provide some things that we, we can't do it, they makes the life easier for us. For hackintosh it's never easier for each new product and our mobos. I know that Apple are doing the best to keep hackintosh strugling to hack in certain way the os. This is why, at the moment Big Sur did something more strong than the predecessors. OpenCore is the master chief achievement, it is done by a huge work, it's light, pointing to the thing directly. It's not that simple to reach the best from the first try, there is more guides, but from MoBo to other it'll come more tricky.

What i was talking about yesterday, is only about the code, So to generate an More lite communication between OpenCore and the Firmware, but i wasn't expecting that i'll make a fire on that thread. This is the only why i mentioned @vit9696 and i forgot @Download-Fritz to. I've seen your Quote yesterday, and i disabled the Bootstarp, until i have some good results. I don't think to that i have some non-sense option out there, but i was expecting that i could forgot some of Quirks or added them accidently. The SSDT-XCPM i'm using doesn't make for macOS sense, and it doesn't get injected and there's no CPU State tooked. That was with the strict minimum of options to see if there's a result, like we do with clover, starting with minimum can help to find a stable system. But i still believe it's not that, it could be a Firmware issue, but in the past i was doing things with Ozmosis like crazy, i've completely changed the ACPI files of the MoBo, tried out macOS and Windows as well, but it doesn't dropped the performances down like my actual board. I had a GA-Z87X-UD4H, and it was running well. I did the same thing for the last one which is GA-Z97M-DS3H, and played games with no performance dropped. I've tried OC from the beginning on my laptop which has a Core2Duo, and it was very stable, with no problem, unless the Kext for the Mobility, which wasn't released for High Sierra. This is why maybe for some boards OC isn't the best, until problems found and cleared, and this was my point yesterday, just to hope if there will be this point on the calendar of OpenCore by the developpers. But i never make them responsable for any damage on my boards, no, this was my first and will be always my opinion. I try, if good then well done, if not searching for possibilities. And i thank all the hackintosh developers, for any kind of work, we are still running macOS on PCs and laptops. I didn't see the α-ω as a user until i translated the words, and starting to think maybe it's a user hhhh, sorry :hysterical:, I like hes post yesterday, but didn't take care of hes name hhhh, i become old man, year after year maybe ^_^ :yes: :D

Hello to all, i hope all the best of what we are doing in the world of Hackintosh, my system is working nicely , but i want to know how can i activate the boot chime, do i need chime.dxe efi file as adriver, or it is merged and can work directly from Opencore, i am using (oc 0.6.5) debug version, latest update , with latest kexts too, waiting a reply if anyone can help. thanks

1 hour ago, PC IT said:

Hello to all, i hope all the best of what we are doing in the world of Hackintosh, my system is working nicely , but i want to know how can i activate the boot chime, do i need chime.dxe efi file as adriver, or it is merged and can work directly from Opencore, i am using (oc 0.6.5) debug version, latest update , with latest kexts too, waiting a reply if anyone can help. thanks

Hi - There are a few things you need to have in place. I don't think you need chime.dxe but you will need the AudioDxe.efi file in the Drivers Folder also listed in the config.plist along with these settings as shown. With everything in place, reduce your speakers volume just incase, reboot and clean the NVRAM. You should then have Boot Chime as Long as your Codec Value is correct for your machine. Good luck.

Edit - I forgot you will need the Boot Chime  Wav File  in EFI/Resources/Audio Folder - I have attached it here also.

Spoiler

11054460_ScreenShot2020-12-24at02_34_29.thumb.png.40927288cc5f4aba8676ecbcc184e5db.png1018888564_ScreenShot2020-12-24at02_35_01.png.423c218352dd9975462cc1141b6aa5f5.png

OCEFIAudio_VoiceOver_Boot.wav

Edited by eSaF

Hi everyone,

I have Catalina running flawlessly on a i5-10400 with an Asus h470 with OC 0.6.4, but for some reason, I can't even get Big Sur into the installation screen.

I'm no newbie with this, and followed the Dortania Comet Lake guide, making myself the ACPi tables, but I'm out of ideas.

Here's the kernel panic I get into every time I boot Big Sur installer.

I think it has to do with USB, but tried everything, USBmap, different kexts, without luck.

Ideas anyone? Thank!

KP.thumb.jpg.80d60e4ddd9c31d3ba8405763fca23eb.jpg

I've noticed that currently in my set up I have "EFI version found 1554.50.2.0.0 but should be 1554.60.15.0.0" How do I update that in OC? I do not see an entry for it in config.plist.

EDIT 01-05-21

Since updating to OC 0.6.5 all is correct.

Edited by pkdesign