OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,805 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Stefanalmare said:

Hi all! Anybody can give me a hint about finding CFG Lock offset for HP laptops? Thank you!

Depends on what make of Laptop you're asking about no one will be able to assist with your query.

55 minutes ago, Stefanalmare said:

HP Probook 4540s. Encrypted bios (google), but I think are smart guys who can guide me in the right direction.

Smart yes I agree but not all Laptops are alike and as smart as the guys are they can't read minds if you don't supply enough information or specs about your machine. :)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, eSaF said:

Smart yes I agree but not all Laptops are alike and as smart as the guys are they can't read minds if you don't supply enough information or specs about your machine. :)

For sure you are right. I used VerifyMsrE2.efi and it saes "This firmware has LOCKED MSR 0xE2 register!". That means I have CFG Lock. But I just can't get the offset. I put here the bios and hope a guru will help me! :)

sp96086.exe

5 hours ago, ameenjuz said:

do not open Folx app on Big Sur 11.0.1

can anyone help me?

The Folx 5.22 version improve the compatibility with Big Sur. The latest release is 5.23 :) Do you have disable BS Gatekeeper ?

Edited by Matgen84

9 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

The Folx 5.22 version improve the compatibility with Big Sur. The latest release is 5.23 :) Do you have disable BS Gatekeeper ?

yes i m running latest Folx 5.23 but i don't know any idea

why i m facing this issue

1036187897_ScreenShot2020-11-15at7_54_43PM.jpg.4525c9e2ee1dd6f553dc16180d20a409.jpg2145358804_ScreenShot2020-11-15at7_55_14PM.jpg.ce0808c5502a51317d20d25aee6426a6.jpg

• Sad 1

On 11/15/2020 at 2:37 AM, ameenjuz said:

1633156608_ScreenShot2020-11-15at4_35_48AM.jpg.74dda5e2fab21c8c4a939ce5bba00a8d.jpg

The same error happens for applications packed with older upx, but I don't know if this is the case.

For upx related issues most of the times you can simply decompress the app with upx itself (upx -d), just install command line tools, homebrew and upx.

Edit: nope, this is not the case, it's not packed with upx..

Edited by ghost8282

Hi all

I hope this is the best place to post this unusual issue affecting users of the Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G motherboard. Sorry for this long explanation, but the issue is very strange and somewhat complicated to explain!  I could provide a video showing the problem if that's easier to follow.

The issue:  Booting OpenCore (or Clover) in any manner except a standard automatic boot causes a shutdown/restart 10 seconds after the boot has started.  The problem does not occur when booting bootloaders from Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, or MemTest86.  Just Clover and OpenCore (I have so far tested all versions from 0.5.6 to 0.6.3.)  The issue is not unique to me, everyone I have spoken to with this motherboard has the same problem.

What I mean by "any manner except a standard boot":  when OpenCore is booted via the F12 Boot Menu, or from the BIOS Boot Override menu, or when the BIOS has been accessed and "Exit Without Saving" is chosen, then the problem occurs: the system will shutdown and reboot 10 seconds after the OpenCore bootloader is started. 

If OpenCore is booted automatically - meaning it boots without user intervention, as the first entry in the BIOS boot order - it will boot fine with no reboot.

The reboot/restart always occurs 10 seconds after OpenCore is started (I have timed it), and it happens regardless of what is happening at that moment.  It will reboot on the OpenCore boot picker screen if that is still visible 10 seconds after boot.  So it is not related to OpenCore booting any operating system.

When the system reboots with this problem, going into the BIOS will show that the CPU and RAM are now running at default speeds.  RAM will be at 2666Mhz, ignoring XMP, and any CPU overclock settings are not applied.  The BIOS settings are not changed, but the CPU and RAM are running at default settings, as if the BIOS has put the system into a safe mode.

Even stranger: once this issue has happened once, the problem goes away. Subsequent boots with user intervention, eg F12 boot menu, succeed.  It will continue to work for all OpenCore boots until the next time the BIOS settings are saved with F10.  After BIOS settings are re-applied, the problem returns at the next non-automatic boot.

Fortunately this problem does not affect normal booting of OpenCore. The issue only happens when there is user invention before boot.  But it is still quite an annoying issue: it affects me whenever I want to temporarily boot a different OpenCore config from USB stick, and it means that the user must always remember to never "Exit without saving" in the BIOS, and can never use the F12 boot menu.  And it causes enormous confusion for new users trying to configure this motherboard as a Hackintosh.  It cost me many hours when I first got the board, because I kept thinking my OpenCore or BIOS settings were causing boot failures, when in fact it was because I was always trying to boot from the Boot Override menu.

I have tried every OpenCore setting I can think of, including using NVRAM to exclude RTC areas 00-FF.  I have tested with a completely default OpenCore sample.plist, with the Dortania recommended config for Cascade Lake X, and many permutations on my own customised config.plist.  I have tried just about every BIOS setting available, including setting the BIOS at default ("Load Optimized Defaults").  The issue happens regardless of what drive OpenCore is on, and happens the same both when booting from NVMe or from a USB stick.

Attached is an example OpenCore 0.6.3 DEBUG log showing a failed boot with this problem (boot was triggered from the BIOS Boot Override menu).  Also attached is an OpenCore DEBUG log from a successful boot (automatic boot of first boot entry, no user intervention.)  The log from the failed boot shows no messages related to the shutdown.  All the log lines seem identical compared to the successful boot.  I'm pretty sure that OpenCore doesn't even know about the reboot, as it's the BIOS that causes it.

I realise that this problem is very likely a BIOS bug, but as it only happens with OpenCore and Clover I'm wondering if there's an expert here who might know what could be causing it and whether any solution is possible?  Or could suggest something I could try to get more debug info on the issue?

Apologies again for the long message - if it's helpful I can provide a video that clearly demonstrates the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

opencore.GigayteDesignare10G.BootFailureFromBIOSOverride.161120-1840.txt

opencore.GigayteDesignare10G.BootSuccess.161120-1848.txt

Edited by TheBloke

Hi.

I have question, I have a BCM57785 (14e4:16b5) working in Catalina with this patch of OC But not on Big Sur.

<dict>
	<key>Arch</key>
	<string>x86_64</string>
	<key>Base</key>
	<string>__ZN11BCM5701Enet14getAdapterInfoEv</string>
	<key>Comment</key>
	<string>Broadcom BCM57785 patch</string>
	<key>Count</key>
	<integer>1</integer>
	<key>Enabled</key>
	<true/>
	<key>Find</key>
	<data>6AAA//9miYMABQAA</data>
	<key>Identifier</key>
	<string>com.apple.iokit.AppleBCM5701Ethernet</string>
	<key>Limit</key>
	<integer>0</integer>
	<key>Mask</key>
	<data>/wAA////////////</data>
	<key>MaxKernel</key>
	<string></string>
	<key>MinKernel</key>
	<string></string>
	<key>Replace</key>
	<data>uLQWAABmiYMABQAA</data>
	<key>ReplaceMask</key>
	<data></data>
	<key>Skip</key>
	<integer>0</integer>
</dict>

dumped (using  otool -S) method names of AppleBCM.. kext (Big Sur version) and r I found out the method __ZN11BCM5701Enet14getAdapterInfoEv has removed or at least renamed. The closest method I was found was __ZN11BCM5701Enet12loadFirmwareEP10FWIMG_INFOjjbb.

Dose anyone knows what this patch doing in Catalina?

4 hours ago, MJKhaani said:

Hi.

I have question, I have a BCM57785 (14e4:16b5) working in Catalina with this patch of OC But not on Big Sur.

<dict>
	<key>Arch</key>
	<string>x86_64</string>
	<key>Base</key>
	<string>__ZN11BCM5701Enet14getAdapterInfoEv</string>
	<key>Comment</key>
	<string>Broadcom BCM57785 patch</string>
	<key>Count</key>
	<integer>1</integer>
	<key>Enabled</key>
	<true/>
	<key>Find</key>
	<data>6AAA//9miYMABQAA</data>
	<key>Identifier</key>
	<string>com.apple.iokit.AppleBCM5701Ethernet</string>
	<key>Limit</key>
	<integer>0</integer>
	<key>Mask</key>
	<data>/wAA////////////</data>
	<key>MaxKernel</key>
	<string></string>
	<key>MinKernel</key>
	<string></string>
	<key>Replace</key>
	<data>uLQWAABmiYMABQAA</data>
	<key>ReplaceMask</key>
	<data></data>
	<key>Skip</key>
	<integer>0</integer>
</dict>

dumped (using  otool -S) method names of AppleBCM.. kext (Big Sur version) and r I found out the method __ZN11BCM5701Enet14getAdapterInfoEv has removed or at least renamed. The closest method I was found was __ZN11BCM5701Enet12loadFirmwareEP10FWIMG_INFOjjbb.

Dose anyone knows what this patch doing in Catalina?

This patch for Catalina and older. (Tested 10.11 - 10.15)

About patch https://www.applelife.ru/posts/735929

Original idea @SunKi https://www.applelife.ru/posts/564218

Edited by Andrey1970
  • Like 1

Hello,

I don't know if you can help me here in this case.

I tried to boot Big Sur 11.0.1 on my Dell XPS 9550 with Open Core 0.6.4 and I always get the Error Message: "OCB: StartImage failed - Aborted".

Catalina doesn't have this issue and can be normal booted. I only have this Error Message with Big Sur. I already have re-downloaded Big Sur but I still get this Error Message. I already have cleared my NVRAM several time but without any success.

I have also attached my EFI. 

Thank you.

OC.zip

Edited by hitman478

Hi!

I bought a kvm switch to be able to switch a monitor from the host (linux) to the mac os virtual machine (and the other way).

The host is attached to a nvidia quadro 600 dvi/vga adapter (monitor 2).

Mac os vm has a dedicated GTX titan black, connected with 2 monitors, with hdmi (monitor 1) and with dvi/vga adapter (monitor 2, vga monitor).

So, the kvm switch has 2 inputs: one from the titan black (dvi/vga adapter) and one from the quadro 600 (dvi/vga adapter); the video output of the kvm switch goes to monitor 2.

The switch works quite well, but currently I must change the kvm switch to the mac os virtual machine (gtx titan black, dvi/vga adapter) before loading mac os, otherwise the monitor is not detected, even with "detect monitor".

My question is: could I inject the edid in opencore to be able to change the kvm switch to the mac os vm, AFTER loading mac os?

PS: same behaviour happens by booting windows (not with opencore): kvm switch must be attached on Titan Black before loading windows.

Thanks for any useful info.

I used the script edid-gen.sh to generate edid(s) for my two displays:

1- if I connect directly the vga monitor to the titan black the samsung vga monitor (monitor 2) is correctly detected with correct info: Display 0, vendor id 4c2d, product id ae5

2- if I connect the samsung monitor to the kvm switch I get different info: Display 0, vendor id 756e6b6e, product id 717

So it's clear that the switch is not passing through the correct edid of my samsung display.

If I read the instructions:

The correct EDID must be put into AAPL00,override-no-connect property for IGPU, where the second 0 stands for the display number.

I think the second number is 0 (display 0), not sure I have to inject edid of display 1, but no problem I can try.

That instructions refers to igpu, but this is not the case, can someone point me to where and how to inject the generated edid?

The pciroot address is that of the gpu?

I just tried to inject the edid into GFX0:

Spoiler

edid.thumb.png.1ab2d692f71d67fa4f5d5ce25e73c4a1.png

But from system preferences the display is not recognized as samsung as it happens if I attach it directly to the gpu, instead I have "VGA monitor":

Spoiler

display0.png.aecce23640e595953223900cca275b7e.png

What I'm doing wrong?

UPDATE: solution found by overriding with a file in /Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/

Now I can spoof the edid but for some reason I can't understand the kvm switch must be attached to the mac os vm otherwise if switched after no monitor is detected.

UPDATE2: after some searches I think I need 2x vga edid emulators, I just ordered 2, I think they will solve both the resolution and the "not available display if connected after boot"

UPDATE3: solved with edid emulators

Edited by ghost8282

Attempted to update Catalina to Big Sur recently. The install looked successful but having some KP issues. Window 10 installed on a second NVMe and boots with no problem. Currently on OC 0.6.3. Attaching the KP error for review.

Any help appreciated.

IMG_6649.JPG

Well Up and running using OC 6.3 Boots Big Sur and Catalina

Drat I need to update to latest OC so it loads recovery, need to disable sip

IMG_0096.jpeg

IMG_0097.jpeg

Edited by STLVNUB
change OC Version
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, STLVNUB said:

Ok anyone able to tell me how to fix this, trying to load Recovery DMG

You've to recheck your config.plist. Lot of changes since 0.6.0 :) Update your kexts too.

18 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

You've to recheck your config.plist. Lot of changes since 0.6.0 :) Update your kexts too.

I'm using 6.0 config.plist but 6.3 OC, I'll update kexts too

Loads Catalina and Big Sur with above config.plist

Edited by STLVNUB
OS loading
  • Like 1