OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,805 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

@eSaF

I work (test) with several bootloader on my USB key: this is the reason why 'Opencore' show up in BIOS, is annoying for me  (I don't want to use multi-boot because I've got 3 separated disk)

Understand but I don't know how you can circumvent that problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

Hi Guys

Sorry for my stupid question :yes: : my BIOS (Z390 mobo) show up 'OpenCore' instead of 'UEFI:KingSton...' (my USB stick). After several Reset NVRAM, the OpenCore mention disappears.

How to avoid 'Opencore' in BIOS Boot list ? Thanks for helping me.

Probably you have Misc -> Security -> BootProtect -> Bootstrap in your config. For me was even worst because I had Opencore in the list and blocked bios access... I changed it to Misc -> Security -> BootProtect -> None and OC disappeared from list.

I hope this can help you¡¡¡

Edited by DocXavier
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

I am running OpenCore 0.6.0 on a Gigabyte Z490 Vision D with a Radeon RX 5700XT Graphics Card.

I have a weird problem that I am unable to solve so would be grateful for any tips.

I accidentally renamed my Catalina NVMe Disk as ‘parallels’ and when I noticed the Catalina NVMe Disk showed up as ‘parallels’ on the OpenCore GUI Boot Screen, I changed its name back to ‘Catalina’.

However, even after several NVRAM resets and a load BIOS Defaults and a Clear CMOS, it’s still showing up as ‘parallels’ on the Boot Screen GUI.

Also, Big Sur Disk, shows up in OpenCore Boot GUI as 'Preboot'.

Where are these 'strange' names coming from in the GUI when the actual Disk names are different?

Any ideas how I can rectify this ‘cosmetic’ problem as I can not boot Catalina automatically even though the Startup Disk is set to Catalina.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_6628.JPG

Edited by jimbojingle

I have a fat32 formatted usb flash drive with BaseSystem.dmg and BaseSystem.chunklist in a folder called com.apple.recovery.boot.  When I have a scanpolicy of 0 I can boot from it.  With a scanpolicy of 19857667 opencore doesn't see the recovery dmg.  19857667 is the default with the addition of USB.  What else do I need for it to work?  There isn't an option for fat32.

11 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

Hi Guys

Sorry for my stupid question :yes: : my BIOS (Z390 mobo) show up 'OpenCore' instead of 'UEFI:KingSton...' (my USB stick). After several Reset NVRAM, the OpenCore mention disappears.

How to avoid 'Opencore' in BIOS Boot list ? Thanks for helping me.

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config.plist/coffee-lake.html#acpi

protect UefiServices= YES under booter

ProtectUefiServices YES Needed on Z390 system

Screenshot 2020-08-14 at 22.29.52.png

14 hours ago, polkaholga said:

To update opencore and/or kexts you just need to mount the appropriate EFI partition, where your OpenCore EFI resides

For editing /S/L/E or user/L/E kexts read fusion71au's post here.... 

Thanks for your kind help

7 hours ago, fuzzylogic said:

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config.plist/coffee-lake.html#acpi

protect UefiServices= YES under booter

ProtectUefiServices YES Needed on Z390 system

Screenshot 2020-08-14 at 22.29.52.png

Thanks. I've already this values in my config.plist. ASAP, I test with BootProtect set to NO as @DocXavier says.

1 hour ago, mifjpn said:

Dear Acidanthera members
This is a serious problem.
Does OpenCore pass the data such as ACPI, etc. as the original BIOS when selecting another OS?
On my computer, when I booted Windows from OpenCore, I could never see the BIOS screen again.
My friend's Windows also shuts down in a few hours when booting from OpenCore.
OpenCore is a great program.
However, with the current movement of OpenCore, it seems as if every OS in the world had to be macOS.
And we can practically only choose Open Core to run Big Sur.
Therefore, I feel very sad that the wonderful OPEN CORE is in an oligopoly.
To all the members of the team, we sincerely request that OpenCore will be great.

better to refrain from starting windows with OC
even at best when it starts it correctly, it still passes values that many motherboard builders utilities do not function properly, not recognizing the system
Start windows with function keys or with Clover and use OC to start macOS only
my 2 cents

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iCanaro said:

better to refrain from starting windows with OC
even at best when it starts it correctly, it still passes values that many motherboard builders utilities do not function properly, not recognizing the system
Start windows with function keys or with Clover and use OC to start macOS only
my 2 cents

I am trying to understand and wrap my head around the problem here, In my system I dual boot BS with windows10 with OC using just the one EFI Folder On the BS drive to boot all, I also Hot Plug Catalina on an external disk using the same EFI Folder without the hint of a problem. I can cold boot any one of the OSs at any given time. In saying all of that my system is a Gigabyte Z390 Pro wifi board, not exactly the easiest board to configure for OS X given the amount of faffing one has to do to install OS X with OC. Clover was relatively easier in my opinion (maybe it's because I was more familiar with Clover) compared to OC on this board but once I figured what was needed, any problem now is only small and easily solved. Getting into the BIOS from Windows is also mentioned, I can't see the significance of this, does it really matter which OS allows you to get into the BIOS as long as you can get in there and are we talking about a Legacy or UEFI system? Forgive me if I am missing the gist of the whole conversation but like I said I am somewhat perplexed by the post and what the poster of the query is trying to achieve.

• Like 2

I've been testing OC since the first beta and on several hacks... apart from the first beta that regularly started windows, since then I still have to figure out what it takes to start windows without any acidathera injection or bootcamp. So I decided not to waste more time to figure it out, until the first release stable to study, or the advent of a fork type NDK that you can use alternatively.

1 hour ago, mifjpn said:

Thank you for your warm and keen opinions and comments.

What I mean is that OpenCore is both a boot loader and a boot selector. So, although it is very good as a boot loader for macOS, it does not have a basic function as a boot selector.

I think that means changing the way of thinking. Not everyone wants the OZMOSIS-like movement.

Great deveropers and coders are doing their best in their day-to-day efforts.

All I want is just the usual behavior as a boot selector.

Currently I mainly use Catalina so I use Clover as the main boot loader.

If there is a problem with Open Core、We can install GRUB2 from Windows, so I select it by chainloading at.

Try using GRUB as a boot manager

When you say Boot Selector do you mean to boot from a particular EFI Folder on a particular EFI Partition because if you have more than one EFI Folder, pressing F12 will give you the option to choose. I still don't understand your goal.

5 hours ago, mifjpn said:

Thank you for your warm and keen opinions and comments.

What I mean is that OpenCore is both a boot loader and a boot selector. So, although it is very good as a boot loader for macOS, it does not have a basic function as a boot selector.

I think that means changing the way of thinking. Not everyone wants the OZMOSIS-like movement.

Great deveropers and coders are doing their best in their day-to-day efforts.

All I want is just the usual behavior as a boot selector.

Currently I mainly use Catalina so I use Clover as the main boot loader.

If there is a problem with Open Core、We can install GRUB2 from Windows, so I select it by chainloading at.

Try using GRUB as a boot manager

I'm sorry I have to disagree with you.

OC has a fairly good boot selector. 

It has a simple text based builtin boot selector and it has an API to add an external boot selector.

And there's an example of an External boot selector called OpenCanopy that was added by the OC team.

Yes OpenCanopy is still in-developent and will improve further when it's complete.

That boot selector works almost like a native Mac boot selector.

You can even use Mac like hot keys e.g. OPT key during boot to display the boot picker - just like a real Mac

Here's what OpenCanopy displays on my system (Hack 4):

IMG_1779.thumb.jpg.38b87d901893be6a1db3ca855e7e4c7f.jpg

I have not had a problem booting Windows from OC. My Windows version is Retail and was fully activated BEFORE OC was ever installed.

It is still activated after booting it via OC. On that system, I don't even have a DSDT and Windows boots fine.

Here's another system I have that is LEGACY system that does NOT even have UEFI but with OC's Duet Legacy boot, I can still use OpenCanopy and boot Windows 10 (Hack 2):

03170045.thumb.png.14a8c6d90abbc759b61804f7e4d7413f.png

OK, on this legacy system I could NOT initially boot Windows because it would fail with the ACPI_BIOS_ERROR blue screen of death.

That's because the DSDT that I had which was being injected to Windows by OC did not allow for Windows booting (e.g. _OSI checks).

I have completely modified that DSDT with liberal use of _OSI guarding and I can now boot Windows 10 without any issues and no problem with Activation. That version of Windows has OEM (DELL) Licensing.

I'll get around writing a guide on how I modified that DSDT to enable Windows booting via OC hopefully.

I can even use macOS's Start-up Disk selector from System Preferences to select an OS to boot and OC takes care of booting that OS (both on UEFI & Legacy BIOS systems).

So I am failing to understand your issue is with OC's boot selection.

EDIT: If you have an issue with booting Windows, then it has nothing to do with the Boot Selector but with the core function of OC - which was by design. That design choice the Devs made to boot macOS just like a Mac and allow other OS's to boot the way a Mac does.

Edited by MacNB
  • Like 4

Hi guys,

Dell Optiplex 9020:

i7-4790

When attempting to boot, get's stuck at this screen:

error.thumb.jpg.4e19b4375ff3172e590ce35411118f1d.jpg

Could this be related to KASLR (Slide value) or RTC ?

Default Booter Quirks from sample.plist (as they work like that on 90% of hacks we tried so far).

9 minutes ago, Антико said:

Dear experts. Please help me solve the problem with installing Big Sur. I haven't been able to install it on a separate disk partition for several weeks. Catalina with this config is started, I try to start installation of Big Sur-panic. Where am I wrong? Perhaps you could show me the right way - I would be very grateful!

config.plist

opencore-2020-08-16-100220.txt

MVIMG_20200816_160351_compress0.jpg

Enable IncreasePciBarSize in kernel -> quirks

Hi there.

Did a fresh install for big sur. I’m aware that they are playing around with the naming of the ‘preboot volume’ name but I have two disks showing up in opencore for one boot drive.

One named preboot, which boots into Mac fine, the other macOS (the big sur drive name) doesn’t boot, just hangs at x86 architecture or something.

This didn’t happen when I upgraded but just a fresh install. Anyone know of a fix?

my scan policy is set to 0.

Thanks.

98A9AABE-104D-4BBC-9C17-F247C99E5817.jpeg

On 8/15/2020 at 6:12 AM, eSaF said:

Getting into the BIOS from Windows is also mentioned, I can't see the significance of this, does it really matter which OS allows you to get into the BIOS as long as you can get in there and are we talking about a Legacy or UEFI system?

No. The BIOS is the BIOS. It supersedes any OS. The BIOS is at the lowest level.

What people are complaining about is booting into an OS using OC. OC is a chain loader (or boot loader depending on your verbiage). It will pass information to the OS before booting. These can include manufacturer name and other details that help whatever OS you're loading, be it Windows or Linux or macOS to run. Because OC is made for macOS, passing critical info such as ACPI patches, manufacturer name and other low level details to other OSes, like Windows, can cause problems. Windows expects to boot from it's boot loader or on a real Mac, from Bootcamp, which is set up by Apple to provide a nice clean compartment for it to run smoothly. Even then, you lose some functionality with Bootcamp, such as the low level safe mode services that end up spinning on a loop.

The NDK fork works around this by passing any critical patches (DSDT, etc.) only to macOS, leaving the booting of other OSes like Windows relatively clean. So far, the native OC project does not provide this functionality.

This does also depend on how you're hack is set up. The more patches and hacks you used, the more they may adversely affect Windows from loading properly.

If you want to load Windows clean, just hold F12 and load it directly from your board's boot loader, which precedes other loaders like OC or grub or whatever.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tiem said:

No. The BIOS is the BIOS. It supersedes any OS. The BIOS is at the lowest level.

Yes absolutely correct, I think I had a brain freeze when I wrote that rubbish. :lol: It is a shame the NDK fork seems to be dead in the water and no one is keen enough or willing to take up the mantel where our friend left off. :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

On 8/15/2020 at 11:23 AM, d5aqoep said:

Kinda noob question... Is there a way to unseal Big Sur after it has been sealed by the initial installation?

i've posted a link to fusion71au's post in another forum about snapshots, etc... around a dozen posts above your question

read it and the answers will jump at you..

once more the link

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/344428-pre-release-macos-big-sur/?page=27&tab=comments#comment-2729935

• Like 1