OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,805 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, beidl said:

I just switched from Clover to OpenCore yesterday and I'm impressed. Though I really need something akin to Clover's ResetHDA functionality.

VoodooHDA doesn't cut it and has its own issues and, for obvious reasons, I'd prefer to use the native audio solution on macOS.

What's the best way to approach the developers on this? I'd personally try my shot at implementing it, depending on where to start.

Does it make sense to add it to OpenCore itself or is it preferred to be implemented as an EFI driver?

(Never tried EFI hacking before, though I might find a way around it).

Applealc.kext. It goes in the kexts folder and you need to use a boot arg (NvRam section) alcid=x

x being a layout ID like 1, 3, 5, 7 etc, for

most dedicated graphics cards it is 1.   
If you look in the info.plist of the alc.kext there are several options to chose for laptops and other builds.   

1 hour ago, Gigamaxx said:

Applealc.kext. It goes in the kexts folder and you need to use a boot arg (NvRam section) alcid=x

x being a layout ID like 1, 3, 5, 7 etc, for

most dedicated graphics cards it is 1.   
If you look in the info.plist of the alc.kext there are several options to chose for laptops and other builds.   

That's not the problem, I have AppleALC and the layout set up already, problem is that the sound card is quirky and needs to be reset each boot. Else I'll have to cold-boot every twice every time I want to use audio.

22 minutes ago, beidl said:

That's not the problem, I have AppleALC and the layout set up already, problem is that the sound card is quirky and needs to be reset each boot. Else I'll have to cold-boot every twice every time I want to use audio.

USB or PCI card?    If it’s USB you may want to create a ports kext.   Or make a custom DSDT.

Just been reading the Dortania guide now its updated to 0.6.0 and the first thing I noticed was...

Note that Ivy Bridge's iGPU is only supported up-to macOS 10.15, Catalina. Hacks for running later versions will not be covered

Am I totally wasting my time trying Big Sur / OpenCore with the hardware in my Signature then?

24 minutes ago, Gigamaxx said:

USB or PCI card?    If it’s USB you may want to create a ports kext.   Or make a custom DSDT.

It's PCI, and it can't be fixed via DSDT changes.

So, again, if any developers are reading here: What would the preferred way of implementing something like "ResetHDA" be?

22 minutes ago, D-an-W said:

Just been reading the Dortania guide now its updated to 0.6.0 and the first thing I noticed was...

Am I totally wasting my time trying Big Sur / OpenCore with the hardware in my Signature then?

Dortania contains many mis. 

In the presents time Ivy Bridge's iGPU is supported in 11.0 db3. 

But it can be deleted in the release. In the presents time we don't know as Apple will decide.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, D-an-W said:

@Andrey1970 many thanks, I will keep on setting things up then.

In general if I ensure all the kexts are up to date and I can boot 10.15.6 using OC 0.6.0 with no (Apparent) issues should that be enough to try installing Big Sur onto a new partition?

You shall use supported in 11.0 Mac-model, on an installation time. You can return then yours Mac-model after installation and add boot-arg: -no_compat_check

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Andrey1970 great info thanks, I recently changed my Mac Model to "Mac mini (Late 2014)" (Macmini7,1) so the Big Sur update shows up in System Preferences. Am I right in thinking then I can just leave that alone now and not use the boot-arg: -no_compat_check or would it be best to still add that for future release?

1 hour ago, D-an-W said:

@Andrey1970 great info thanks, I recently changed my Mac Model to "Mac mini (Late 2014)" (Macmini7,1) so the Big Sur update shows up in System Preferences. Am I right in thinking then I can just leave that alone now and not use the boot-arg: -no_compat_check or would it be best to still add that for future release?

Don't use -no_compat_check if you don't return on not supported model.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, hardcorehenry said:

Have you tried replacing 0x41 with this values: 0x40 or 0x42 or 0x43. Here you can find out more.

No, because OC override DSDT setting for PCI, it write 0x00. Working well.

Fred 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrey1970 said:

Don't use -no_compat_check if you don't return on not supported model.

Just installed Big Sur on a fresh partition I created on my Internal SSD and it literally installed and booted with zero errors, many thanks for the info.

11 hours ago, beidl said:

AppleALC implements TCSEL reset register functionality (named as ResetHDA in Clover) via alctcsel boot argument or alctcsel device property. Just inject alctcsel <01 00 00 00> into HDEF or pass alctcsel=1 via boot-args, and it should work. To debug this you can always check for "updating TCSEL register" line in the joint Lilu/AppleALC log by adding -liludbgall liludump=60 arguments and then inspecting /var/log/Lilu_x.x.x.txt file after booting macOS and waiting for 60 seconds for the file to save.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

18 hours ago, vit9696 said:

AppleALC implements TCSEL reset register functionality (named as ResetHDA in Clover) via alctcsel boot argument or alctcsel device property. Just inject alctcsel <01 00 00 00> into HDEF or pass alctcsel=1 via boot-args, and it should work. To debug this you can always check for "updating TCSEL register" line in the joint Lilu/AppleALC log by adding -liludbgall liludump=60 arguments and then inspecting /var/log/Lilu_x.x.x.txt file after booting macOS and waiting for 60 seconds for the file to save.

Thanks for the hints, though it doesn't seem to be enough. The issue with my audio chipset is that it either runs in HDA or I2S mode, and booting macOS repeatedly results in audio only working the first time. I'd assume it would run in either mode reproducibly, but it doesn't. What APCI _REV value does Darwin run with? I know for a fact that Linux/Ubuntu now forces _REV 2 (not overridable via acpi_rev_override) for it to stay in HDA mode.

Also, I've been running with HPET patches in ACPI but they don't seem to change the situation.

In most cases where audio doesn't work anymore the PCI device disappears from Hackintool, leading me to believe the device falls off the bus completely, causing alctcsel not to trigger (can't verify though as the Lilu debugging args don't seem to drop logs at /var/log for me).

To fix audio I have to boot into Ubuntu twice. The second time HDA mode is used successfully. Then booting macOS works until the next reboot.

Edited by beidl

UPDATE: All fixed just needed to disable CFG Lock!

With the latest version of Geekbench 5.2.3 released 8/5/20 my system is crashing on the last step "machine learning" its a total freeze and I  have to manually reboot it with the power key. Tried with 0.5.8 and 0.6.0. Anyone else having this same problem?

Edited by syn909
update

59 minutes ago, syn909 said:

With the latest version of Geekbench 5.2.3 released 8/5/20 my system is crashing on the last step "machine learning" its a total freeze and I  have to manually reboot it with the power key. Tried with 0.5.8 and 0.6.0. Anyone else having this same problem?

No it works for me.   Geekbench 5.2.3 with Big Sur beta 4 Ryzen 3900X.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vit9696 said:

So the decision to switch to HDA/I2S is done by the embedded controller, is there any subtle difference between OpenCore and Clover in handling the EC?

Пытаюсь установить Big Sur на Asus x99 Deluxe + e5 2640v3. OpenСore 060. На фото остановился, попробовал fakesmc - тоже самое. В чем может быть проблема? Спасибо за помощь!

20494922.jpg

config.plist

Edited by Антико

3 hours ago, beidl said:

So the decision to switch to HDA/I2S is done by the embedded controller, is there any subtle difference between OpenCore and Clover in handling the EC?

OpenCore does not approach the EC anyhow, likely Clover also does not, at least not from what I know.

1 hour ago, Антико said:

Пытаюсь установить Big Sur на Asus x99 Deluxe + e5 2640v3. OpenСore 060. На фото остановился, попробовал fakesmc - тоже самое. В чем может быть проблема? Спасибо за помощь!

20494922.jpg

config.plist

Don't run FakeSMC.kext only WirtualSMC.kext, Lastest OC, Lastest kext and boot arguments vsmcgen=1 try problem see fixed.

Edited by xKaoSx

2 minutes ago, xKaoSx said:

Не запускайте FakeSMC.kext, только WirtualSMC.kext, Lastest OC, Lastest kext и аргументы загрузки vsmcgen = 1 попробуйте исправить проблему.

I tried with virtualsmc, and arguments were written - so far without result

config.plist