OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,805 posts in this topic

@MacNB, right, this is indeed an unsupported case. Basically OpenCore fully supports all XCPM configurations but:

- Ivy Bridge consumer (e.g. 3770k). The reason for this is that we believe the correct approach is not to use XCPM, as Apple itself disabled it.

- Pentium CPUs. The reason for this is that they are not really supported by macOS.

The rest should work just fine though. I updated OpenCore docs to make it crystal clear.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vit9696 said:

@MacNB, right, this is indeed an unsupported case. Basically OpenCore fully supports all XCPM configurations but:

- Ivy Bridge consumer (e.g. 3770k). The reason for this is that we believe the correct approach is not to use XCPM, as Apple itself disabled it.

- Pentium CPUs. The reason for this is that they are not really supported by macOS.

The rest should work just fine though. I updated OpenCore docs to make it crystal clear.

Thanks for making it clear in the Docs that consumer Ivy Bridge XCPM is not supported in OC.

Apple have their own reasons (mainly commercial) for not supporting older h/w.

But till now, XCPM patches for Ivy Bridge worked well. I did not need any CPM SSDT's nor CPUFriend and got the CPU to p-state through the whole whole frequency ranges up to my overclock turbo rate of 4.8Ghz.

For laptop users, XCPM is better than AICPM too.

Ah well. Will find a patch method and see how long I can keep stretching this ageing platform.

Hi Guys

When I try to boot from NVME M.2 disk the macOS boots half way through and shuts the system off. but when using the same settings with SATA SSD system boots fine.

Can anyone help please?

2 minutes ago, mathew2019 said:

Hi Guys

When I try to boot from NVME M.2 disk the macOS boots half way through and shuts the system off. but when using the same settings with SATA SSD system boots fine.

Can anyone help please?

You probably need NVMe fixes?

7 minutes ago, mathew2019 said:

Hi  apianti

Thank you for the quick reply

I tried to boot with NvmExpressDxe.efi but still same problem.

No you need the fixes for the NVMe drivers for macOS. That is for the preboot, which you probably don't need if the disk is recognized to begin in your firmware.

EDIT: You can also have the boot stop on panic with the verbose output so you can see exactly where it is crashing, I'm just guessing that is the issue. But it would be better to know by looking at the panic.

Edited by apianti

The confusing is if I boot from SATA SSD I can find the NVME drive in disk utility and format it fine. then I cloned the disk then added EFI to iNVME DIsk which is exactly same as SATA SSD EFI. System boot from NVME. I can see Apple logo and progress bar halfway through then system shuts down. so this means NVME is detected right?

15 minutes ago, mathew2019 said:

The confusing is if I boot from SATA SSD I can find the NVME drive in disk utility and format it fine. then I cloned the disk then added EFI to iNVME DIsk which is exactly same as SATA SSD EFI. System boot from NVME. I can see Apple logo and progress bar halfway through then system shuts down. so this means NVME is detected right?

Yeah, you don't need that driver if you have an nvme m.2 slot in your motherboard, it has to have an nvme driver. It wouldn't really make sense otherwise. You need to fix something in macOS that is causing a kernel panic during boot.

EDIT: Did you happen to rebuild your kernelcache? Just noticed you cloned it, you probably got some wrong stuff in there. Maybe try booting into the recovery and try fixing your kernelcache from your install.

Edited by apianti

I am on OC 0.5.9 and I am baffled as to why i cannot see a boot option to select the Installer in the picker (to update from 10.15.4 to 10.15.5). The installer puts the boot stuff in "/Systems/Volumes/Data/macOS Install Data" and if I switch to Clover bootmgr it lists it? but if I boot with OC and it's not there? ScanPolicy 0  

config.plist.zip

On 5/30/2020 at 8:19 PM, vit9696 said:

Ivy Bridge → Ivy Bridge E? Might actually work if MP61 uses XCPM. Interesting idea. @MacNB, you can actually try this.

Thank you both.

No it does not work (both values).

Kernel panic in AICPM kext.

Search for a solution continues.

UPDATE:

Solution found. See here.

Edited by MacNB
Solution found.

27 minutes ago, tluck said:

I am on OC 0.5.9 and I am baffled as to why i cannot see a boot option to select the Installer in the picker (to update from 10.15.4 to 10.15.5). The installer puts the boot stuff in "/Systems/Volumes/Data/macOS Install Data" and if I switch to Clover bootmgr it lists it? but if I boot with OC and it's not there? ScanPolicy 0  

config.plist.zip

Unlike Clover, you should not need to "see" the macOS Install if you ran the Installer from System preferences->System or directly from a downloaded DMG or PKG.

Installer will start, do its thing, restart the system and OC "will take care" of the correct "OS" to boot be it Installer or the System disk - you should get two restarts and at each restart OC will select the correct boot. 

1 hour ago, tluck said:

Does ScanPolicy change how your options are shown? The default is like 0x10f0103, I think. Did you somehow not continue through the next stage and now you can't get back...?

1 hour ago, MacNB said:

Unlike Clover, you should not need to "see" the macOS Install if you ran the Installer from System preferences->System or directly from a downloaded DMG or PKG.

Installer will start, do its thing, restart the system and OC "will take care" of the correct "OS" to boot be it Installer or the System disk - you should get two restarts and at each restart OC will select the correct boot. 

but thats the point it doesnt do the right thing. it just boots up the macOS and not the installer to install macOS.

@tluck, could you make sure that you use the latest DEBUG versions of all the drivers (e.g. OpenCanopy and OpenRuntime) and OpenCore itself? Also, please switch to HFSPlus and not VboxHfs.

After you accomplish this, please set Target to 67 and then provide us a log when you install macOS update and believe OpenCore defaults to a wrong boot entry.

Also, does NVRAM work correctly for your system? It is not (always) possible to select a correct boot entry without working NVRAM.

Greetings Vit

Having issue with Backlight.

I am using DSDT with GFX0 in it.  Have not changed the name.  

I was using SSDT-PNLF.  

Issue:  Renamed to GFX0 from IPGU in SSDT-PNLF caused this issue:

Warning: Truncated 64 bit constant in found in 32 bit table  fffffffffffffff0 > fffffff0 (some numbers)

I had to take each .aml file and see which one was causing the issue.

SSDT-PNLF.aml I had made a change from IGPU to GFX0 in .dsl mode to .aml 

make the change, compile save as .aml

I left my DSDT as is with minimal changes

I used ssdtprGEN Piker one for Power management.

I reversed the problem to see if it would be fine.

Renamed GFX0 to IGPU in DSDT. Leaving SSDT-PNLF.aml untouched. Using MaciASL Acidanthera 5.7

so now Stuck.

I have DSDT with GFX0, SSDT-PNLF with IGPU.  No happy marriage here.

Installed because I cannot find an equivalent to Clover Config.  Add PNLF- 0x0A. very good Slice.

how can we fix this without editing DSDT, SSDT and whatever  DDT's?

I installed IntelBacklightInjector.kext, hung at boot.  Waiting on 'IGPU'

Whatevergreen.kext does all these conversions sweet, but not everything can it do

Have to give user some headspace- a little more flexibility if possible?

Open core leaves one having to use the BootUSB if one error happens.  Not forgiving. Booted out.

Locked out

So now I installed El Capitan in the back nine to boot into from and able to use BootUSB when all fails.

I need a fix without editing and installing?  Is this possible?

Thank you so much. This Bootloader is sweet.  

I still have not been able to correct HID error. I'm not using Voodoo on Asus, breaks the keys and mouse.

Using AppleSmartTouchPad and AsusNFBkeys from Emily Dinesh which works after editing some keys in DSDT.

I try not to touch the Graphics and HDEF in DSDT to leave it like factory and rely drivers and things calling on the ACPI for for guidance and data.

Thank you again

Makk

truncateerror.jpg.zip

from WEG?  I used that originally for OpenCore and received this error and then rehabman's both give this error

ACPI Warning: truncated.

Must be the MaciASL version I'm using switching to one that does not cause this problem.

I had Rehabman's MaciASL on another machine v6.2 which I use normally.

On this machine, using Acidanthera version.  

Greetings,

No it's not the app or file.  strange.

At first I recompiled and then used it. It was fine.  I rebooted several times. 

2 parts:

1 When the SSDT-PNLF attaches to DSDT statement and kext is when the truncate messages occurs.

2 Once I rename GFX0 to IGPU or vise versa, is when the message occurs.  

Also, patched DSDT with PNLF leaving the PNLF at IGPU as originally for Rehabmans

Acidanthera one I think if not mistaken is GFX0 I used that several hours ago.  After a reboot

the issue happened.  To see if this would follow, I used Clover EFI samething.

So gathering Rehabmans research helping others, I tested each SSDT and a DSDT.  Recompiled each one

and ticked off each one nice feature of OC easy to test without having to destroy.  and then reboot

clear nvram and reboot many times. 

Still figuriing this out.

on the acidanthera version of MaciASL, there's three to choose from:  legacy, stable, dev.

when I use legacy, and then stable on the same file, get an error and it crashes.  vice versa.

such as too many messages remarks and warnings. when you fix the, the dsdt don't work.

this is Asus old aptio so it has lots of weird stuff and language like AMD for instance SBRG instead LPCB for LPC

all kinds of strange.  

Its been a struggle to get this to work.  one minute it works fine next it don't.

rather weird.

possible CMOS corruption. BIOS where the files are stored. block of storage space.

acpidump brought out 255 dsdt.dat. each one the same.

ssdtprgen ran twice to see if this would help.  it's always SSDT-PNLF.aml whichever one doesn't matter
At first after recompiling no problem. Rebooted to test.  passed. later problem again occured

I it may be the DSDT itself.  Have to figure this out

Thanks 

SOLVED:  problem was lack of statements in DSDT.

Resoled it by placing the PNLF into Device 

works out great.

upload DSDT

I remembered doing this before, copying over PNLF file into DSDT once upon at time.

DSDT.aml.zip

Edited by makk
SOLVED

7 hours ago, vit9696 said:

@tluck, could you make sure that you use the latest DEBUG versions of all the drivers (e.g. OpenCanopy and OpenRuntime) and OpenCore itself? Also, please switch to HFSPlus and not VboxHfs.

After you accomplish this, please set Target to 67 and then provide us a log when you install macOS update and believe OpenCore defaults to a wrong boot entry.

Also, does NVRAM work correctly for your system? It is not (always) possible to select a correct boot entry without working NVRAM.

switching to HFSPlusLegacy.efi was a nice change - it allows me to boot from a USB macOS installer. The issue I previously asked about doesnt seem to be an OC bug or problem. i am using Dosdude1 USB installer and it behaves the same way with CLover - if one launches it from macOS it doesnt seem to be setting efi-boot-device nvram. But if i boot the USB installer directly it works as expected. i was just a bit suprised to not see a picker option for the installer when the USB copies the bits to the OS location.  

one thing i noticed was that with too many devices OpenCanopy goes off the edges of the screen and doesnt seem to scroll left or right.

Also, was there a recent change in OpenShell? i had to revert to one from last week. the latest just hung for me.

Otherwise OC is pretty cool :)