OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,805 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Hi guys,

What's the difference between "layout-id" and "alc-layout-id"?

The reason why I'm asking is because the Configuration pdf mentions "layout-id" as the key we need to use in Device Properties. Same thing for the sample.plist. But...in ioreg, the value I enter as "layout-id" gets displayed under "alc-layout-id". And I get another value displayed as "layout-id". So...I'm confused.

For example:

I want layout-id 15, so I enter layout-id 0F000000 (reversed bytes) in Device Properties.

However, when I check the ioreg (HDEF section), the "layout-id" is 07000000 and the "alc-layout-id" is actually the one with value 0F000000.

I'm a bit confused. I do have sound either way, by the way. Just wanted to know more about this, if possible. Cause it seems strange. And I'm sure there's something I'm missing here. :) 

You shall inject a layout-id in Device Properties (or boot-arg), but in IOReg you will see it as alc-layout-id.

You also will always see layout-id 7 in IOReg (Specifics AppleALC for compatibility with any layout-id).

And by the way, your question is an offtopic.

17 minutes ago, Andrey1970 said:

You shall inject a layout-id in Device Properties (or boot-arg), but in IOReg you will see it as alc-layout-id.

You also will always see layout-id 7 in IOReg (Specifics AppleALC for compatibility with any layout-id).

And by the way, your question is an offtopic.

Thank you. But...why is my question off-topic on a thread regarding OpenCore, when the question refers to adding layout-id to Device Properties to the config that OpenCore is using? Isn't OpenCore the topic? Isn't its config part of the topic? :))

I mean...I know this is probably more related to AppleALC than OC itself, but I wouldn't call it off-topic. I can post my future questions in the dedicated threads. But that's the thing. They're not used separately. They're used with OpenCore or Clover or whatever. And the thing I was referring to was the config plist. It's literally in the Configuration pdf for OpenCore.

Edited by arsradu

19 minutes ago, vit9696 said:

There currently is no way to install a custom FAT driver without flashing it into the firmware. This quite uneasy, and since the issue is resolved with APTIO V (Broadwell+) we will unlikely ever work on it.

So it's older firmware issue. Mine is Ivy Bridge. Got it. 

So adding the Fat.efi driver from Clover to OC/Drivers will make no difference ?

10 minutes ago, MacNB said:

So it's older firmware issue. Mine is Ivy Bridge. Got it. 

So adding the Fat.efi driver from Clover to OC/Drivers will make no difference ?

Yes, it will work. You could even get a working one from newer firmware and have it reconnect as well. I imagine that OC is going to do that for you automatically when drivers are loaded.

Edited by apianti
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Thank you. But...why is my question off-topic on a thread regarding OpenCore, when the question refers to adding layout-id to Device Preferences to the config that OpenCore is using? Isn't OpenCore the topic? Isn't its config part of the topic? :))

I mean...I know this is probably more related to AppleALC then OC itself, but I wouldn't call it off-topic. I can post my future questions in the dedicated threads. But that's the thing. They're not used separately. They're used with OpenCore or Clover or whatever. And the thing I was referring to was the config plist.

Your question isn't related to OpenCore. 

You create a lot of noise. Please don't respond to this message. Peace.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Andrey1970 said:

Your question isn't related to OpenCore. 

You create a lot of noise. Please don't respond to this message. Peace.

You're being ridiculous, of course it pertains to OC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrey1970 said:

You boor and you are absolutely not competent.

Ah, yes. The straight go to for you guys, insult me. I'm definitely not competent... I mean most of the things that have come about in this community are almost all directly related to me introducing said ideas... but yeah.... You literally answered his "off topic" question that was about a config.plist setting and then told him it wasn't on topic. Grow up.

This is my first time using OpenCore, so please forgive any obvious errors.

I followed the (very complete) guide at https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Desktop-Guide and that answered a lot of questions. However, I am repeatedly not able to get past the error, shown in the attached image. It's the "[EB|#LOG:EXITBS:START]" error, which the guide makes several suggestions to remedy, none of which help me. There is no way to disable CFG-LOCK, so I have enabled AppleXcpmCfgLock and AppleCpuPmCfgLock.

My system is a Dell Optiplex 7050 Core i6-6500, with a AMD Radeon R5 340X video card. I've tried every USB port, on the machine, both USB2 and USB3, based on some comments that I have found, online. I've attached my boot log, and EFI folder, here, as well.

Thanks for any suggestions!

- Alex

IMG_0118.jpg

opencore-2020-05-25-032818.txt

EFI.zip

For those who might be interested. SSDT-SATA.aml, renames SAT0 to SATA only for OSX and leaves original names for other OSes(tested in OSX, Windows and Linux(have only couple live USB) .  You might need to edit the address, mine SAT0 is under 0x001F0002.

DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "HACK", "SATA", 0x00001000)
{
    External (_SB_.PCI0, DeviceObj)
    External (_SB_.PCI0.SAT0, DeviceObj)

Scope (_SB.PCI0)
    {
        Scope (SAT0)
        {
            If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
            {
                Name (_STA, Zero)  // _STA: Status
            }
        }

Device (SATA)
        {
            Name (_ADR, 0x001F0002)  // _ADR: Address
        }
    }
}

• Like 2

I followed the (very complete) guide at https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Desktop-Guide and that answered a lot of questions. However, I am repeatedly not able to get past the error, shown in the attached image. It's the "[EB|#LOG:EXITBS:START]" error, which the guide makes several suggestions to remedy, none of which help me. There is no way to disable CFG-LOCK, so I have enabled AppleXcpmCfgLock and AppleCpuPmCfgLock.

My system is a Dell Optiplex 7050 Core i6-6500, with a AMD Radeon R5 340X video card. I've tried every USB port, on the machine, both USB2 and USB3, based on some comments that I have found, online. I've attached my boot log, and EFI folder, here, as well.

- Alex

IMG_0118.thumb.jpg.89f6cacc031a6cc152099f68a18cf5b2.jpg

EFI.zip

My Skylake desktop is also getting stuck here. I’ve unlocked cfg lock with modified grub shell which didn’t help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@arsradu I think @Andrey1970's comment did not detail why it is off-topic (though it is fairly obvious when you're used to the matter), so here's the thing... OpenCore allows you to add arbitrary properties of arbitrary type and value. This property may or may not be consumed by a kext. So to say, it has a syntax (config.plist declaration) to declare/add them.

However, this does not mean that any kext specific that somehow involves device properties is suddenly an OC topic. Your question does not to relate to any of that, it refers to the meaning (semantic) of specific properties, which should hopefully be obvious now that this does not depend on OC at all and hence is far out of scope.

While your question is an AppleALC topic, I'll still answer, but please do not reply further here - as far as I am aware, layout-id is prefered, alc-layout-id was introduced for internal compatibility reasons.

Also, kudos to those talking only static, your heroism almost solved a simple problem again.

EDIT: Corrected layout-id info, brain hung

Edited by Download-Fritz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

- Alex

IMG_0118.thumb.jpg.89f6cacc031a6cc152099f68a18cf5b2.jpg

EFI.zip

Try setting

RebuildAppleMemoryMap to False

SetupVirtualMap to True

This is what worked for me.

4 hours ago, Download-Fritz said:

@arsradu I think @Andrey1970's comment did not detail why it is off-topic (though it is fairly obvious when you're used to the matter), so here's the thing... OpenCore allows you to add arbitrary properties of arbitrary type and value. This property may or may not be consumed by a kext. So to say, it has a syntax (config.plist declaration) to declare/add them.

However, this does not mean that any kext specific that somehow involves device properties is suddenly an OC topic. Your question does not to relate to any of that, it refers to the meaning (semantic) of specific properties, which should hopefully be obvious now that this does not depend on OC at all and hence is far out of scope.

While your question is an AppleALC topic, I'll still answer, but please do not reply further here - as far as I am aware, alc-layout-id is prefered and was introduced for Mac compatibility (as they set their own ID themselves and one may want to override it using AppleALC).

Also, kudos to those talking only static, your heroism almost solved a simple problem again.

Probably is talking about the section in the documentation PDF that specifically talks about common properties. Remove that section if you don't want them to be related because otherwise that certainly seems related. Who knows though, guess I'm just talking static.... It's like you guys are running authoritarianism 101 playbook, lol.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

Try setting

RebuildAppleMemoryMap to False

SetupVirtualMap to True

This is what worked for me.

Unfortunately, both of those are already set. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

- Alex

Screenshot from 2020-05-25 13-19-28.png

i want to patch my Sandy Bridge Framebuffers and i get this in the log:

00:000 00:000 OC: Kernel patcher AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB () init failure - Not Found

the SNB kexts (dosdude1 method to old HW in Catalina) are in /Library/Extensions and are in the cache. 

what does that message indicate is wrong? 

<dict>
				<key>Base</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>Count</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>Enabled</key>
				<true/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				AQIEABAHAAAQBwAABQMAAAIAAAAwAAAAAgUAAAAEAAAH
				AAAAAwQAAAAEAAAJAAAABAYAAAAEAAAJAAAA
				</data>
				<key>Identifier</key>
				<string>AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB</string>
				<key>Limit</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>Mask</key>
				<data>
				</data>
				<key>MaxKernel</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>MinKernel</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				AQIEABITAAASEwAABQMAAAIAAAAwAAAAAgUAAAAEAAAH
				AAAAAwQAAAAEAAAJAAAABgIAABAAAAAJAAAA
				</data>
				<key>ReplaceMask</key>
				<data>
				</data>
				<key>Skip</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
			</dict>

16 minutes ago, tluck said:

i want to patch my Sandy Bridge Framebuffers and i get this in the log:

00:000 00:000 OC: Kernel patcher AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB () init failure - Not Found

the SNB kexts (dosdude1 method to old HW in Catalina) are in /Library/Extensions and are in the cache. 

what does that message indicate is wrong? 

Are you sure that patch is still valid? Can you find the data to replace in the binary itself?

EDIT: Wait don't you need the full identifier?

Edited by apianti

10 hours ago, hardcorehenry said:

For those who might be interested. SSDT-SATA.aml, renames SAT0 to SATA only for OSX and leaves original names for other OSes(tested in OSX, Windows and Linux(have only couple live USB) .  You might need to edit the address, mine SAT0 is under 0x001F0002.

DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "HACK", "SATA", 0x00001000)
{
    External (_SB_.PCI0, DeviceObj)
    External (_SB_.PCI0.SAT0, DeviceObj)

Scope (_SB.PCI0)
    {
        Scope (SAT0)
        {
            If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
            {
                Name (_STA, Zero)  // _STA: Status
            }
        }

Device (SATA)
        {
            Name (_ADR, 0x001F0002)  // _ADR: Address
        }
    }
}

Mind to explain when do I need this? I remember on my Clover days I have this rename patch but since I moved to OpenCore I think I don't have it already.

Thanks.

55 minutes ago, insanefrancis said:

Mind to explain when do I need this? I remember on my Clover days I have this rename patch but since I moved to OpenCore I think I don't have it already.

Thanks.

Simple answer, you don’t need this. This is better equivalent of ACPI renames (like SAT0 to SATA) via config.plist.