OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,805 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, AudioGod said:

:startreck:

I picked up my sample Z490 Master yesterday. Woooaaahhhhh it’s a lovely board Mr eSaF,

I have no intention of buying a 10900k though, if I get one for free as well then I won’t complain but my 9900k is a good enough furnace for me to keep my warm toastie.. :hysterical:

You b-l-o-o-d-y scavenger :hysterical: and why not :thumbsup_anim:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, eSaF said:

AG your post sent a second wave of thought through me - A Z490?, man that thing coupled with a 10900k would smoke OC all day long!!!!!

Yes and it would smoke your kippers and your toast and cook your beans too.

Them cpus are juicy hot. :fiery:

:hysterical:

im very interested to see how it performs under Catalina though via OC.
Bring on the compatibility and let’s find out!  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Yes, that's how it comes out when you build it from sources. You need to replace only certain files. Ok, let's leave that for another time then. :))

You need to make a blank file, so not txt, called .contentDetails. The content on that file needs to be the name you want to show up on the boot picker. In my case (attached), I named it "Windows 10 Pro". You can edit this one if you want.

To make a blank file, you can use Sublime Text, for example, on MacOS. Or any text editor. But again, it's not a .txt file. It's a blank file. There's no extension on it.

So, in Sublime for example, you just go to File -> New File -> enter your custom name in that file -> Save As -> ".contentDetails". 

In order to be able to create that hidden file, you need to set hidden files to visible. To do that, easiest way is to press: CMD (or Windows key if you're on a Windows keyboard) + Shift + . (yes, that's the dot symbol on your keyboard). So CMD + SHIFT + .

To disable (make hidden files invisible again), just repeat the same command.

Here's the before and after. The file is present in both cases, but one is with hidden files disabled, the other one is with them enabled.

.contentDetails

Easy when you know how! I tried several times and still not working, then realised your file, attached, was downloaded to my desktop as "contentDetails" and not ".contentDetails" - when I added the all important "." to make it a hidden file it works perfectly. Thank you so much for helping me fix this niggle. Still have much to learn with OC!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Humanate said:

Easy when you know how! I tried several times and still not working, then realised your file, attached, was downloaded to my desktop as "contentDetails" and not ".contentDetails" - when I added the all important "." to make it a hidden file it works perfectly. Thank you so much for helping me fix this niggle. Still have much to learn with OC!

Yep, that "." is what makes it hidden. 

Happy to help! That's why we're here. :) And if you think I'm any less of a noob, you're wrong. I'm learning new things about OC every day. And make mistakes every day. So don't worry. We both learned something new today. Since, as I told you before, I actually never needed to rename anything on my drives. So haven't personally tested this. But now I did, so I could help you get yours fixed, as well. :) So...it's a win-win.

Cheers!

Edited by arsradu
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

Is there any Ryzen 3000 OpenCore users on this thread by any chance that can share there thoughts on there build without being a AMD troll about it?

Well, there is no trolling... while it runs "fine" for many people (by their personal definition of "fine" I suppose), you have all sorts of limitations, including power management, DRM, app compatibility, virtualisation compatibility, delayed updates and so on.

@MacNB HideSelf now works by detecting the OC boot file and discarding that entry, it does no longer refer to the source paritition specifically.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Download-Fritz said:

Well, there is no trolling... while it runs "fine" for many people (by their personal definition of "fine" I suppose), you have all sorts of limitations, including power management, DRM, app compatibility, virtualisation compatibility, delayed updates and so on.

That’s what I found the last time I tried it for myself too. I was hoping things may of got better but I guess no real Apple support is always going to make things difficult really.

I think Apple are missing a trick if they don’t start using the upcoming 4000 series, I know they have there ARM aspirations but still it makes so much more sense for Apple to use the upcoming lineup,

I think it would be win win for everybody. One can only hope. :) 

Still quite new to OC, couple questions

1. I notice that it takes a lot longer for the OC OpenCanopy boot picker to appear when my rig starts up - the time taken to go from the American Megatrends message to the boot picker. Clover was much quicker in this regard. Is there anything I can do to speed this up?

2. Catalina 10.15.4 seems to take a long time to load. I have fast m.2 nvme SSD system drives for macOs and Windows, the latter loads much more quickly than Catalina. Is this just something I have to accept or is there anything I can do to optimise/speed up. I was expecting faster load times with nvme....

I'm using OC 0.5.8 at the moment, let me know if attaching files will help

9 minutes ago, Humanate said:

1. I notice that it takes a lot longer for the OC OpenCanopy boot picker to appear when my rig starts up - the time taken to go from the American Megatrends message to the boot picker. Clover was much quicker in this regard. Is there anything I can do to speed this up?

2. Catalina 10.15.4 seems to take a long time to load. I have fast m.2 nvme SSD system drives for macOs and Windows, the latter loads much more quickly than Catalina. Is this just something I have to accept or is there anything I can do to optimise/speed up. I was expecting faster load times with nvme....

I have noticed this as well for OC 0.5.8. There's a 3-5 sec delay from OEM logo to bootpicker.

And fyi and I didn't really have this much delay with OC 0.5.5-7.

46 minutes ago, Humanate said:

Do you have boot chime set up, as well? What about Clover? Did you have boot chime set up with that one?

Something I've learned on my own is that the boot time (after you select your boot drive), can increase a lot if you have your iGPU set up in BIOS. So for example if you have your graphics set to dedicated (PEG in my case) + multi-monitor support turned ON, and you have your ig-platform-id set to something other than a "headless" connection, that can increase your boot time a LOT. In my tests (and I'm not using NVMe but I am using a SATA SSD), the difference was about 15 seconds. Which is a lot.

Whether or not this can be improved on... I don't know. I'm hoping it can... But since we're talking about a pretty old machine (in my case), I'm not expecting too much.

So, what you can try is two things:

1. try without boot chime

2. try without iGPU in BIOS.

Also, try to reset NVRAM.

You can also boot in verbose mode (boot-args = -v added to 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 in NVRAM) and see where is it hanging. But...in my tests, that wasn't really conclusive. One thing you can try is what i did. Which is to disable all kexts that are not mandatory for booting (so, probably all except Lilu + WEG + VirtualSMC) and see what kind of results you get.

Edited by arsradu

On 4/26/2019 at 6:23 AM, FredWst said:

https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/tree/master/Docs

Using on H97Wifi (iMac15,1), Optiplex 7050(iMac18,3), Optiplex 3050(iMac18,1 or Mac mini 8,1).

Works fine.

Fred

Fred, I have an OptiPlex 7040 (HD530, GT730) and unable to boot using the most recent open core. The clover it booting well. Would you mind sharing your config? Thanks

IMG_5295.jpg

1 hour ago, arsradu said:

Do you have boot chime set up, as well? What about Clover? Did you have boot chime set up with that one?

Something I've learned on my own is that the boot time (after you select your boot drive), can increase a lot if you have your iGPU set up in BIOS. So for example if you have your graphics set to dedicated (PEG in my case) + multi-monitor support turned ON, and you have your ig-platform-id set to something other than a "headless" connection, that can increase your boot time a LOT. In my tests (and I'm not using NVMe but I am using a SATA SSD), the difference was about 15 seconds. Which is a lot.

Whether or not this can be improved on... I don't know. I'm hoping it can... But since we're talking about a pretty old machine (in my case), I'm not expecting too much.

So, what you can try is two things:

1. try without boot chime

2. try without iGPU in BIOS.

Also, try to reset NVRAM.

You can also boot in verbose mode (boot-args = -v added to 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 in NVRAM) and see where is it hanging. But...in my tests, that wasn't really conclusive. One thing you can try is what i did. Which is to disable all kexts that are not mandatory for booting (so, probably all except Lilu + WEG + VirtualSMC) and see what kind of results you get.

I have an i5 9400f so no onboard graphics to disable

So I did some experimenting, boot chime was enabled although I wasn't hearing it as I use a USB DAC, removed boot chime, much quicker now from BIOS OEM screen to Boot picker, excellent

I also removed all but essential kexts. Also improved boot time. Interestingly, I removed RadeonBoost.kext and ran Basemark GPU Benchmark - my score was 3677 with RadeonBoost and 4185 without, strange

One more question then that's it from me for today you'll be pleased to hear! The renaming thing you helped me with works perfectly but I'm now thinking I'll be better, if it's possible, to hide the duplicate Windows 10 drive (my backup clone). Reason is my wife mainly uses Windows for her work, if she clicks on the Win 10 clone it will just cause problems, so if I can hide it in Boot Picker that would be even better. Possible do you know?

Really appreciate your help

Edited by Humanate

5 hours ago, arsradu said:

Yes, that's how it comes out when you build it from sources. You need to replace only certain files. Ok, let's leave that for another time then. :))

You need to make a blank file, so not txt, called .contentDetails. The content on that file needs to be the name you want to show up on the boot picker. In my case (attached), I named it "Windows 10 Pro". You can edit this one if you want.

To make a blank file, you can use Sublime Text, for example, on MacOS. Or any text editor. But again, it's not a .txt file. It's a blank file. There's no extension on it.

So, in Sublime for example, you just go to File -> New File -> enter your custom name in that file -> Save As -> ".contentDetails". 

In order to be able to create that hidden file, you need to set hidden files to visible. To do that, easiest way is to press: CMD (or Windows key if you're on a Windows keyboard) + Shift + . (yes, that's the dot symbol on your keyboard). So CMD + SHIFT + .

To disable (make hidden files invisible again), just repeat the same command.

Here's the before and after. The file is present in both cases, but one is with hidden files disabled, the other one is with them enabled.

.contentDetails

A single line in Terminal:

echo "NAME" > /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Boot/.contentDetails

Change NAME to whatever you want. In this case "Windows 10 Pro"

Edited by Tiem
Typo
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Humanate said:

So I did some experimenting, boot chime was enabled although I wasn't hearing it as I use a USB DAC, removed boot chime, much quicker now from BIOS OEM screen to Boot picker, excellent

I also removed all but essential kexts. Also improved boot time. Interestingly, I removed RadeonBoost.kext and ran Basemark GPU Benchmark - my score was 3677 with RadeonBoost and 4185 without, strange

One more question then that's it from me for today you'll be pleased to hear! The renaming thing you helped me with works perfectly but I'm now thinking I'll be better, if it's possible, to hide the duplicate Windows 10 drive (my backup clone). Reason is my wife mainly uses Windows for her work, if she clicks on the Win 10 clone it will just cause problems, so if I can hide it in Boot Picker that would be even better. Possible do you know?

Hey! Oh, sorry about that. I thought all i5 CPUs come with integrated graphics. Well, one more thing I learned today. :)) 

I never heard of that RadeonBoost.kext and it looks like we're using the exact same GPU. Well, now I know what to avoid. :))

About hiding that specific drive....I feel like it might be possible... But I don't know how. And never done it before with OC. I mean, you can adjust ScanPolicy to exclude NTFS from scanning. But that means you won't be seeing either of the two drives anymore in boot picker. So that's not quite the expected result.

9 minutes ago, Tiem said:

A single line in Terminal:

echo "NAME" > /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Boot/.contentDetails

Change NAME to whatever you want. In this case "Windows 10 Pro"

Oh cool! I didn't know that. That is very useful. Thank you! :) 

Edited by arsradu
updated path

Updating to the latest Catalina beta 5 I got this:

OCUI: Entry kind 16 unsupported for IconOCB: ShowMenu failed - Unsupported
Halting on critical error

Restarted the install process and it completed the second time no issues. Using OC 0.5.9 build e7989ef

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Humanate said:

Fixed mine as well by removing the AudioDxe entry in my UEFI/Driver. Now boot picker shows instantly, well, 1 sec delay.

Is your Windows backup on a separate drive from your main Windows? Because if not, then I don't see it as a backup. Just doesn't make sense.

But if it is on a separate drive then one way to hide it is to disable it in your BIOS. Unless again, if you access it frequently.

Edited by insanefrancis
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 1:19 PM, droples said:

I slightly corrected your config. Using it, I booted onto Asus N53sv, OS x10.13.6,OC-0.5.8. Try it ....Archive.zip

THANK YOU!!!!

I can't stress this enough: Thank you!

But I now have one problem. I don't have keyboard of trackpad working. I see VoodooPS2Controller is loaded but it does nothing. The same kext works fine on Clover, but not on OpenCore. What could it be?

I have keyboard and trackpad working on OpenCore menu (I can use the cursor and the keyboard keys to move between entries) but not on the High Sierra installer or the actual partition I have.

EDIT: I had to explicitly declare the VoodooPS2 plugins in my config.plist now everything works fine. Thank you again!

Edited by el_charlie

4 hours ago, punjabigator said:

Fred, I have an OptiPlex 7040 (HD530, GT730) and unable to boot using the most recent open core. The clover it booting well. Would you mind sharing your config? Thanks

IMG_5295.jpg

Hi,

Here is attached config.plist I use with 7050, juste remove specific data injection for my Nvidia video and empty data in Generic plateforminfo.

I'm using a little tweak DSDT, maybe you should remove all what I drop in ACPI.

config.plist.zip

Fred 

9 hours ago, Download-Fritz said:

@MacNB HideSelf now works by detecting the OC boot file and discarding that entry, it does no longer refer to the source paritition specifically.

Thanks @Download-Fritz for the clarification.

OpenCanopy still displayed an EFI disk icon:IMG_1779.thumb.jpg.38b87d901893be6a1db3ca855e7e4c7f.jpg

But I figured out which drive that EFI was.

It was the EFI partition on the Mojave-SSD drive above that contains Clover :rolleyes:

Anyway to hide that (apart from deleting Clover) ?

4 hours ago, insanefrancis said:

Fixed mine as well by removing the AudioDxe entry in my UEFI/Driver. Now boot picker shows instantly, well, 1 sec delay.

Yes the culprit is AudioDxe.efi.

I just checked the debug log and there's nearly 5 seconds overall delay cause by AudioDxe.

Here's a snippet of the log:

00:359 00:005 HdaCodecProbeFuncGroup(): probing widgets
00:745 00:385 HdaCodecProbeFuncGroup(): probing widget connections
00:778 00:000  Widget @ 0xC (type 0x0)
01:784 01:005 HdaCodecInstallProtocols(): start
01:978 00:005 HdaCodecProbeFuncGroup(): probing widgets
04:310 02:332 HdaCodecProbeFuncGroup(): probing widget connections
04:366 00:000  Widget @ 0x6 (type 0x0)
05:372 01:005 HdaCodecInstallProtocols(): start

• Like 2

5 hours ago, insanefrancis said:

Is your Windows backup on a separate drive from your main Windows? Because if not, then I don't see it as a backup. Just doesn't make sense.

But if it is on a separate drive then one way to hide it is to disable it in your BIOS. Unless again, if you access it frequently.

Nice to see that boot picker quicker eh? Kudos to @arsradu who suggested this as possible cause. BTW It's not a Windows Backup technically, it's an exact clone on separate SSD (how I tend to back up) which is why OC boot picker sees it

Edited by Humanate
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, AudioGod said:

Is there any Ryzen 3000 OpenCore users on this thread by any chance that can share there thoughts on there build without being a AMD troll about it?

What would you like to know? We have simple power management now, but there is still some app (abode) issues, and sleep works or it doesn't. If you want to run Catalina on Ryzen you have to use OC, the latest patches are not for Clover, but OC developers are not going to support it, they are trying to make a PC as close to a Mac as possible with their boot loader and that doesn't include AMD since no Mac uses AMD. (understandable).