OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,805 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, arsradu said:

I just know my girlfriend would do the same. :)) So, I totally understand what you're going through, man. And yeah, I'm the same. I don't like it when things don't make sense.

Anyway, enjoy! :D 

My friend you and I are kindred spirits :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MacNB said:

Yes Thanks I read that and set AdviseWindows=YES but does not solve the problem.

Yeah but the what do you think about the 2 bullet points there? Does it mean that when I set AdviseWindows=YES then it conditionally handles the two points? Because the first point is applicable to me, while the second are applicable to others like @arsradu. Or there's something to do besides setting it to YES.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, insanefrancis said:

Yeah but the what do you think about the 2 bullet points there? Does it mean that when I set AdviseWindows=YES then it conditionally handles the two points? Because the first point is applicable to me, while the second are applicable to others like @arsradu. Or there's something to do besides setting it to YES.

Yes that's what I believe happens. That is, Setting AdviceWindows = YES, sets those TWO bits in the FirmwareFeatures variable.

That variable is stored in the Platforminfo->PlatformNVRAM.

So it could help you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, insanefrancis said:

Sorry, been busy updating to build 19F94a. :D All good, by the way. :)

So..yeah. This is a bit confusing. Cause mine is set to AdviseWindows=NO (so..that would be boolean false). EFI partition is the first one. Obviously UEFI boot. And it's booting perfectly fine between BootCamp Windows and MacOS.

I was reading the documentation, as well, and I think it does that when it's set to true. Failsafe (default) is false though.

Now, if these FirmwareFeatures are the same ones as the ones in SMBIOS and PlatformNVRAM, I already have mine set to 37E10FE0 00000000. So...whether that's already good enough or not, I don't know. Never really understood what they do. But it sounds like it's adding both, for both cases (Legacy and UEFI boot).

By the way, about the updates, I absolutely love how seamless it is to update MacOS with OC. It always goes to the installer, it always selects the correct partition to boot from. Awesome! You really don't need to touch anything. You set it to update and come back when it's done.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 2

I found a workaround to my issue with OC 0.5.9 booting Windows via System Preferences Startup Disk option. In OC 0.5.8 it worked fine but updating to 0.5.9 broke this - it would restart the system and boot the first macOS disk instead of windows.

I had a custom entry in Misc->Entries:

<key>Entries</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Arguments</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>Auxiliary</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>Not signed for security reasons</string>
				<key>Enabled</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>Windows 10 Pro</string>
				<key>Path</key>
				<string>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x2)/Sata(0x1,0xFFFF,0x0)/HD(1,GPT,A4CE4F1A-43C6-492D-BB16-2DD6EABCE4EF,0x28,0x64000)/\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi</string>
			</dict>
		</array>

...so that I could customise the name displayed in the boot Picker to "Windows 10 Pro".

In 0.5.8, this entry was always selected on restart.

But in 0.5.9, it's is ignored.

Workaround:

Disable the Misc->Entries ->0

Added the Misc->BlessOverride->0-> \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

Now OC 0.5.9 boots Windows from System Preferences Startup Disk.

I say this is a workaround since it's not what I wanted to happen. I wanted a custom entry so that I can label the drive name that's display on boot picker.

Edited by MacNB
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, vit9696 said:

@makk, sorry if that was unclear. I meant you can edit Info.plist of VoodooPS2-related kexts. Like this: https://github.com/acidanthera/VoodooPS2/commit/535e81517355d1b6d2aaaaf24e6972de15006265

The highlights in Red = delete?  

00:000 00:000 Dependency com.apple.iokit.IOHIDSystem fallback to com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamily succeeded. Please fix your kext!
00:034 00:034 Dependency com.apple.iokit.IOHIDSystem fallback to com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamily succeeded. Please fix your kext!
00:105 00:070 OC: Prelink injection TSCAdjustReset.kext () - Invalid Parameter
00:114 00:008 Dependency com.apple.iokit.IOHIDSystem fallback to com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamily succeeded. Please fix your kext!

Thanks Vit

Adjusting the brightness on a laptop

Method 1
Enable Clover DSDT fix AddPNLF.

1--Enable SetIntelBacklight and SetIntelMaxBacklight. A specific value is not necessary - it will be automatically injected according to the processor installed.

2--Method 2<< inserted this on boot, but when in logging in, does not stay max.  It is quite dimmer than with Clover.

Use this ACPI table: SSDT-PNLF.dsl SSDT-PNLF.aml, for CFL+ use other table SSDT-PNLFCFL.aml. without this though it is much dimmer.

Seeing this is written for Clover, where does one insert this in OC for Method 1--?

what is the equivalent for OC config.plist?

19 minutes ago, makk said:

Adjusting the brightness on a laptop

Method 1
Enable Clover DSDT fix AddPNLF.

1--Enable SetIntelBacklight and SetIntelMaxBacklight. A specific value is not necessary - it will be automatically injected according to the processor installed.

2--Method 2<< inserted this on boot, but when in logging in, does not stay max.  It is quite dimmer than with Clover.

Use this ACPI table: SSDT-PNLF.dsl SSDT-PNLF.aml, for CFL+ use other table SSDT-PNLFCFL.aml. without this though it is much dimmer.

Seeing this is written for Clover, where does one insert this in OC for Method 1--?

what is the equivalent for OC config.plist?

More about config conversion from Clover to OC here.

More about fixing backlight on laptops with OC here.

For everything else, you can check out this page.

Also, for Laptop OC guides, you can check out this page.

Edited by arsradu

All I need now is to fix the IOHIDFamily complaint

keyboard to work in Picker

FN keys to work with VoodooPS2 Controller and some SSDT fixes.  

buggy hacked DSDT to max.  also not understanding of MacOs so there is a lot of unneeded in DSDT. 

Not sure of how to edit sloppy at this.

Speed up graphics in Desktop mode.  << when I first booted OpenCore with .5.8 it was super fast.

then I messed with Security Vault and couldn't fix the problem so I deleted all.  darn shame.

The other issue is USB2.0.  does not have 3.0 speeds. 

So all these patches and so forth does not work.  Stuck with LegacyUSB.kex

Edited by makk

1 hour ago, arsradu said:

By the way, about the updates, I absolutely love how seamless it is to update MacOS with OC. It always goes to the installer, it always selects the correct partition to boot from. Awesome! You really don't need to touch anything. You set it to update and come back when it's done.

Yes I agree. Way better than Clover was able to do on my system (and I have a working NVRAM).

It's specially works well while windows updates takes place where it restarts multiple times.

As you say awesome.

@MacNB I think your boot entry "issue" is "by design" with the newly introduced boot policy. BlessOverride at all times was the prefered way to add options, custom entries are more or less only for the case of multiple OSes per partition, which is not a thing at all in Apple land. So to say, an extension of ours to what Apple gave us to work with. To rename an option, you can just use the .contenDetails file as described in the PDF fine with no need for a custom entry.

• Thanks 1

On 5/19/2020 at 10:59 PM, insanefrancis said:

I don't have a Windows entry in my config.plist and Windows appears in the Startup Disk preference pane. But I am not able to restart to Windows with it.

1950095496_ScreenShot2020-05-19at10_53_45PM.thumb.png.c0e8680b63ddcc8252425db15f3f69b4.png

On the Windows side, I can boot to macOS using the Bootcamp app which I installed using brigadier. But to be honest I don't know if it is really working as intended because it's still goes to the boot picker in which I have set macOS as default and waits for the 5 second delay.

UPDATE:

Sure enough the solution is on the Docs, set AdviseWindows=YES

• Like 2

If using OC does windows “have” to be reinstalled via boot camp to work correctly? Eg blue screens or instant reboots when selecting windows from OC picker? 
In my laptop I have 2 x nvme drives and an ssd. Nvme 1 has windows 10, nvme 2 has Catalina, ssd will have linux when I decide which one or ones. Nvme 2 with Catalina with my OC EFI folder and upon booting to OC I can boot macOS perfectly but windows will either blue screen “acpi error” or I just get some text on the top left of my screen, not sure what it says as it’s quick then instant reboot. If using BCA to install windows can BCA install windows to a seperate drive?

12 hours ago, Download-Fritz said:

@MacNB I think your boot entry "issue" is "by design" with the newly introduced boot policy. BlessOverride at all times was the prefered way to add options, custom entries are more or less only for the case of multiple OSes per partition, which is not a thing at all in Apple land. So to say, an extension of ours to what Apple gave us to work with. To rename an option, you can just use the .contenDetails file as described in the PDF fine with no need for a custom entry.

Thanks for the info.

I added .contentDetails text file to the folder /EFI/Microsoft/Boot with the words "Windows 10 Pro" and the boot picker now displays that name. :thumbsup_anim:

But I still thinks there are problems:

1. With Misc->Entries, if we cannot add an entry that works then what is the point of allowing a Custom entry that is not bootable ? Can you please give an example of "multiple OSes per partition" ?
  2. There's another problem with the "by design" boot policy now. I could only get the Windows OS displayed in the boot picker if I enable the bit OC_SCAN_ALLOW_FS_ESP in the ScanPolicy setting. If I unset that bit and instead set OC_SCAN_ALLOW_FS_NTFS, then Windows drive is NOT displayed (I did not expect it but I thought I try it).
  3. The side-effect of setting bit OC_SCAN_ALLOW_FS_ESP now also displays EFI harddisk icon (I don't know for which of my 3 drives but I assume OC drive). I am setting scanPolicy value to 0x010F0503.The HideSelf setting has now been removed from OC 0.5.9 is that the problem ?.
  4. The OC boot log now shows "Invalid file system policy (200/10F0503) for BB94DA98". Here's a snapshot"

07:077 00:005 OCB: Adding fs BBBACE98 (E:0|L:1|P:Success) - PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/NVMe(0x1,36-39-28-51-29-A7-79-64)/HD(1,GPT,48FD2EC1-C3AE-4458-B959-BDBEED7D2ABE,0x28,0x64000)
    07:079 00:002 OCB: Adding fs BB983B18 (E:0|L:0|P:Success) - PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x2)/Sata(0x0,0xFFFF,0x0)/HD(1,GPT,B23BFB37-1721-48BA-823F-76152B5DC630,0x28,0x64000)
    07:082 00:002 OCB: Adding fs BB95DB18 (E:0|L:0|P:Success) - PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x2)/Sata(0x1,0xFFFF,0x0)/HD(1,GPT,A4CE4F1A-43C6-492D-BB16-2DD6EABCE4EF,0x28,0x64000)
    07:083 00:001 OCPI: Located cached partition entries
    07:085 00:001 OCB: Invalid file system policy (200/10F0503) for BB94DA98
    07:087 00:001 OCB: Adding fs BB94DA98 (E:0|L:0|P:Security Violation) - PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x2)/Sata(0x1,0xFFFF,0x0)/HD(7,GPT,8B191946-A4A6-4CDF-8D18-F0E28B417C68,0x574107A8,0x135F20)
    07:088 00:001 OCPI: Located cached partition entries

Here's boot picker screenshot now:

IMG_1779.thumb.jpg.38b87d901893be6a1db3ca855e7e4c7f.jpg

2 hours ago, insanefrancis said:

UPDATE:

Sure enough the solution is on the Docs, set AdviseWindows=YES

Glad you got it working.

Interesting.

I have AdviseWindows=NO and I do not have any problems selecting Windows on Startup Disk.

In my config, I have:

PlatformInfo->PlatformNVRAM->FirmwareFeatures = FD8FF53E 

PlatformInfo->PlatformNVRAM->FirmwareFeaturesMask = FF9FFF3F 

Maybe FirmwareFeatures value is allowing me to successfully select Windows.

That is, FW_FEATURE_SUPPORTS_UEFI_WINDOWS_BOOT bit set in my FirmwareFeatures value.

UPDATE:

From sources:
#define FW_FEATURE_SUPPORTS_CSM_LEGACY_MODE 0x00000001U //  bit 0

#define FW_FEATURE_SUPPORTS_UEFI_WINDOWS_BOOT 0x20000000U // bit 29

So in my case, FW_FEATURE_SUPPORTS_UEFI_WINDOWS_BOOT bit is set and FW_FEATURE_SUPPORTS_CSM_LEGACY_MODE bit is NOT set.

Therefore, no dot need AdviseWindows=Yes.

Check yours in terminal:

nvram 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:FirmwareFeatures

Edited by MacNB
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, MacNB said:

Glad you got it working.

Interesting.

I have AdviseWindows=NO and I do not have any problems selecting Windows on Startup Disk.

In my config, I have:

Maybe FirmwareFeatures value is allowing me to successfully select Windows.

That is, FW_FEATURE_SUPPORTS_UEFI_WINDOWS_BOOT bit set in my FirmwareFeatures value.

I'm thinking the same, since I also have it set to NO, as you know. And no problems either selecting BootCamp Windows or booting to/from it.

1 hour ago, SavageAUS said:

If using OC does windows “have” to be reinstalled via boot camp to work correctly? Eg blue screens or instant reboots when selecting windows from OC picker? 
In my laptop I have 2 x nvme drives and an ssd. Nvme 1 has windows 10, nvme 2 has Catalina, ssd will have linux when I decide which one or ones. Nvme 2 with Catalina with my OC EFI folder and upon booting to OC I can boot macOS perfectly but windows will either blue screen “acpi error” or I just get some text on the top left of my screen, not sure what it says as it’s quick then instant reboot. If using BCA to install windows can BCA install windows to a seperate drive?

No Windows does not have to be reinstalled via Bootcamp.

The ACPI errors seems "normal" if you have your own custom DSDT and SSDT's with "extensive" mods that you use/need for macOS.

When OC "passes control" to Windows boot loader, that ACPI "environment" is passed Windows and windows can't handle.

I now do NOT use my DSDT.

I use simple OC ACPI patch capabilities such as renaming EHC1 to EH0, etc.

There's one SSDT-EC.aml that has the required OS check in there (_OSI) to allows for non macOS's.

and that's it. Windows boots fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SavageAUS said:

You can install it via whatever you want. In fact, installing it via BCA has its own issues, as you can see in my previous post here. :))

But yes, with some "help" from certain SMBIOSes, you can install it on a different drive, as well, via BootCamp. But...it would probably be easier to just make a USB drive in Windows, or using UnetBootin on MacOS, boot into it, install it and be done with it. Still, since you are using multiple drives, you can expect some errors (at least I had plenty of those) during Windows installation. Not related to BootCamp or anything. Just Windows being Windows. And, although it might not be the case for you, you might need to unplug some of your drives in order to complete the installation successfully. You can see some of my previous (bad) experiences here.

So...I don't think the problem is that it's not installed via BootCamp... I had Windows installed before, and it wasn't via BootCamp. So...I feel like it's probably something else. Have you tried booting with Clover (just for comparison)? Does that work? Cause if it does, since it's the same Windows installation, it might be something specific to OC then. But personally I haven't had any issues.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, arsradu said:

You can install it via whatever you want. In fact, installing it via BCA has its own issues, as you can see in my previous post here. :))

But yes, with some "help" from certain SMBIOSes, you can install it on a different drive, as well, via BootCamp. But...it would probably be easier to just make a USB drive in Windows, or using UnetBootin on MacOS, boot into it, install it and be done with it. Still, since you are using multiple drives, you can expect some errors (at least I had plenty of those) during Windows installation. Not related to BootCamp or anything. Just Windows being Windows. And, although it might not be the case for you, you might need to unplug some of your drives in order to complete the installation successfully. You can see some of my previous (bad) experiences here.

So...I don't think the problem is that it's not installed via BootCamp... I had Windows installed before, and it wasn't via BootCamp. So...I feel like it's probably something else. Have you tried booting with Clover (just for comparison)? Does that work? Cause if it does, since it's the same Windows installation, it might be something specific to OC then. But personally I haven't had any issues.

The windows install works 100% with Clover. I remember OC used to have a setting that wouldn’t pass its specifics to windows but that’s since been removed.

I guess I’ll have to work out how to implement the _OSI checks to my SSDT’s so they don’t get passed through to windows. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

The windows install works 100% with Clover. I remember OC used to have a setting that wouldn’t pass its specifics to windows but that’s since been removed.

I guess I’ll have to work out how to implement the _OSI checks to my SSDT’s so they don’t get passed through to windows. 

I am new to OC (new since 0.5.5) so don't know if OC had a feature before 0.5.5 to bypass ACPI mods but you may be thinking of @n.d.k's fork of OC that has that feature.

I think Clover does not pass on the ACPI mods/patches to Windows but only macOS.

If you do make to _OSI edits to your SSDT's (not all SSDT's need them BTW), then it would be good to share them here :P

Edited by MacNB
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

Probably.. I'm not using a custom DSDT... So..if that's what's causing it, I can't confirm that. I'm only using some pretty generic SSDT for CPU and USB and all that. So nothing fancy. And didn't have to add any _OSI checks. But since we're using different hardware, I expect that to have something to do with it. So...yeah, I hope that fixes it for you. :) 

I feel like Haswell might be the best platform to build a hackintosh on right now. :))) You have so very few things to patch/adjust it's almost seamless. :)))

Edited by arsradu

1 hour ago, MacNB said:

Thanks for the info.

I added .contentDetails text file to the folder /EFI/Microsoft/Boot with the words "Windows 10 Pro" and the boot picker now displays that name. :thumbsup_anim:

But I still thinks there are problems:

1. With Misc->Entries, if we cannot add an entry that works then what is the point of allowing a Custom entry that is not bootable ? Can you please give an example of "multiple OSes per partition" ?
  2. There's another problem with the "by design" boot policy now. I could only get the Windows OS displayed in the boot picker if I enable the bit OC_SCAN_ALLOW_FS_ESP in the ScanPolicy setting. If I unset that bit and instead set OC_SCAN_ALLOW_FS_NTFS, then Windows drive is NOT displayed (I did not expect it but I thought I try it).
  3. The side-effect of setting bit OC_SCAN_ALLOW_FS_ESP now also displays EFI harddisk icon (I don't know for which of my 3 drives but I assume OC drive). I am setting scanPolicy value to 0x010F0503.The HideSelf setting has now been removed from OC 0.5.9 is that the problem ?.
  4. The OC boot log now shows "Invalid file system policy (200/10F0503) for BB94DA98". Here's a snapshot"

07:077 00:005 OCB: Adding fs BBBACE98 (E:0|L:1|P:Success) - PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/NVMe(0x1,36-39-28-51-29-A7-79-64)/HD(1,GPT,48FD2EC1-C3AE-4458-B959-BDBEED7D2ABE,0x28,0x64000)
    07:079 00:002 OCB: Adding fs BB983B18 (E:0|L:0|P:Success) - PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x2)/Sata(0x0,0xFFFF,0x0)/HD(1,GPT,B23BFB37-1721-48BA-823F-76152B5DC630,0x28,0x64000)
    07:082 00:002 OCB: Adding fs BB95DB18 (E:0|L:0|P:Success) - PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x2)/Sata(0x1,0xFFFF,0x0)/HD(1,GPT,A4CE4F1A-43C6-492D-BB16-2DD6EABCE4EF,0x28,0x64000)
    07:083 00:001 OCPI: Located cached partition entries
    07:085 00:001 OCB: Invalid file system policy (200/10F0503) for BB94DA98
    07:087 00:001 OCB: Adding fs BB94DA98 (E:0|L:0|P:Security Violation) - PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x2)/Sata(0x1,0xFFFF,0x0)/HD(7,GPT,8B191946-A4A6-4CDF-8D18-F0E28B417C68,0x574107A8,0x135F20)
    07:088 00:001 OCPI: Located cached partition entries

Here's boot picker screenshot now:

IMG_1779.thumb.jpg.38b87d901893be6a1db3ca855e7e4c7f.jpg

The UEFI Windows bootloader is located on ESP FAT32.

OC_SCAN_ALLOW_FS_NTFS - it is useless for UEFI Windows.

1 hour ago, MacNB said:

Check yours in terminal:

nvram 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:FirmwareFeatures

Do I just run this in terminal?

This is the output.

4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:FirmwareFeatures	w%f5%8f%fd

In my config, I have:

I also don't have these in my config.

59 minutes ago, MacNB said:

I am new to OC (new since 0.5.5) so don't know if OC had a feature before 0.5.5 to bypass ACPI mods but you may be thinking of @n.d.k's fork of OC that has that feature.

I think Clover does not pass on the ACPI mods/patches to Windows but only macOS.

If you do make to _OSI edits to your SSDT's (not all SSDT's need them BTW), then it would be good to share them here :P

I’ll definitely share what I come up with when it works. If anyone has advice on how to implement the _OSI patch into SSDT’s I’m all ears. I will also share my config at a later point in case it’s a config issue. 

Edited by SavageAUS