OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,805 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, MacNB said:

Just built 0.5.9

Clear NVRAM

With the removal of RequestBootVarFallback setting and replaced with DeduplicateBootOrder setting, I can no longer set Windows as startup drive from System Preferences. It see's the Windows drive:

1117525080_Screenshot2020-05-20at14_12_00.png.24d12969e553c78586b65aba35ee68ff.png

I soon as I click restart, I get:

1493312497_Screenshot2020-05-20at14_07_21.png.ed1e1235a23cdb1df845535e7ee7f261.png

If I select my Mojave drive, that boots Mojave fine.

Once in Mojave, I can select Windows as Startup and restarts the PC, OC now boots my Calalina partition instead of Windows :shock: ! 

ScanPolicy is set to 0x000F0103

BootProtect = none

Anyone else seen this ?

Uhm....no. BUT I also made those changes in config and I've got no issues booting into Windows, or selecting Bootcamp Windows from Startup Disk on the Mac. From Catalina. So...I'm not sure that has anything to do with it.

My ScanPolicy is also set to 983299 (or 0x000F0103) and BootProtect = none. As for the Mojave issue...I'm thinking probably something specific to Mojave... Is your Catalina partition the first one? Cause I'm thinking it probably can't really boot into Windows (even if you can select Windows as Startup Disk), so it defaults to something else. But that's just my theory.

Edited by arsradu

23 minutes ago, MacNB said:

Just built 0.5.9

Clear NVRAM

With the removal of RequestBootVarFallback setting and replaced with DeduplicateBootOrder setting, I can no longer set Windows as startup drive from System Preferences. It see's the Windows drive:

1117525080_Screenshot2020-05-20at14_12_00.png.24d12969e553c78586b65aba35ee68ff.png

I soon as I click restart, I get:

1493312497_Screenshot2020-05-20at14_07_21.png.ed1e1235a23cdb1df845535e7ee7f261.png

If I select my Mojave drive, that boots Mojave fine.

Once in Mojave, I can select Windows as Startup and restarts the PC, OC now boots my Catalina partition instead of Windows :shock: ! 

ScanPolicy is set to 0x000F0103

BootProtect = none

Anyone else seen this ?

Did you try setting AdviseWindows to Yes?

@arsradu this is what happens when the recovery drive is the first partition on windows instead of the EFI but setting AdviseWindows=Yes sorts it out.

Edited by AudioGod
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

@arsradu this is what happens when the recovery drive is the first partition on windows instead of the EFI but setting AdviseWindows=Yes sorts it out.

Oh. I didn't know that. I mean, I knew it's because of the Recovery partition, since we've just discussed this earlier. But I didn't know that AdviseWindows fixes it. My Windows takes no advises from anyone. :))

• Haha 2

Just now, arsradu said:

Oh. I didn't know that. I mean, I knew it's because of the Recovery partition, since we've just discussed this earlier. But I didn't know that AdviseWindows fixes it. My Windows takes no advises from anyone. :))

Stupid Windows.... :hysterical:

I feel to wipe out my partitions now and rebuild it the bootcamp way so my mind is at ease and drive looks correct cos it’s annoying me now... 

@arsradu I blame you! :hysterical::help: (Jokes)

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

Stupid Windows.... :hysterical:

I feel to wipe out my partitions now and rebuild it the bootcamp way so my mind is at ease and drive looks correct cos it’s annoying me now... 

@arsradu I blame you! :hysterical::help: (Jokes)

I know how that is. My OCD wouldn't let me sleep either if something wasn't right. :))

I spent two days trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with BCA and why it won't let me format the freaking USB drive!! Turns out it tries to format it as GUID + ExFAT. And to make things more fun, it also throws an error in the process.

So you can't create the USB drive using BCA itself on MacOS. Or at least I couldn't. But as I said a few posts before, this was my first time using BCA, so...I'm sure there are plenty of things to learn! :) 

And if you want to add the Support Software to the same USB, the drive needs to be MBR + FAT32 otherwise it will throw another wonderful error.

Like...WHY?! So..first you format it as GUID + ExFAT (which fails) in order to "make the USB drive for Windows". But then in order to add the Support Software to it, you want to format it AGAIN (which will obviously also erase the whole thing) as MBR + FAT32?! Are you freaking kidding me?!!

So the way to do it is simple (if you already know how to do it):

1. format the Windows USB drive as MBR + FAT32 (Legacy Mode) and add Windows to it using UnetBootin on the Mac, or in Windows directly, with Rufus. Ideally you should try avoiding using Windows to make Windows... I mean, at least that's what I tried to do.

2. add support software with BCA (careful on the SMBIOS). This time it will work, since the drive is already formatted as expected. And it won't delete your Windows information, cause that would be bad.

3. select the hard drive you want to put Windows on and let it format it as it pleases (select how much storage you want to allocate to Windows and how much to MacOS, in case you want to make a split Windows + MacOS, like I did).

4. reboot and boot off of the USB drive. From here on out you're all Windows. Typical Windows installation. With the exact same errors and quirks as a regular one.

Two things to remember:

1. if you have multiple drives connected at the same time, you need to use either iMac14,2 or MacPro6,1 SMBIOS which should allow you to enter BCA in the first place.

2. if you don't have multiple drives connected, you can also use iMacPro1,1 or something else and I think it will put its files on your hard drive (not USB). I could be wrong here, but the first thing it will ask you to do if you use one of these SMBIOSes, is to disconnect any USB drive. So...I'm assuming it's not gonna use them.

In fact, I heard this is actually the "new method" and the old method (with making the USB installer, adding support software to it and only after that, partition the drive) is for older machines. Again, could be wrong. Just sharing my experience in case it helps anyone.

Edited by arsradu

1 hour ago, arsradu said:

Uhm....no. BUT I also made those changes in config and I've got no issues booting into Windows, or selecting Bootcamp Windows from Startup Disk on the Mac. From Catalina. So...I'm not sure that has anything to do with it.

My ScanPolicy is also set to 983299 (or 0x000F0103) and BootProtect = none. As for the Mojave issue...I'm thinking probably something specific to Mojave... Is your Catalina partition the first one? Cause I'm thinking it probably can't really boot into Windows (even if you can select Windows as Startup Disk), so it defaults to something else. But that's just my theory.

Catalina is on separate NVMe drive and yes it's on the first partition.

Mojave is on separate SSD drive and it's the only partition.

Widows is on yet another SSD and it's effectively the first partition followed by High Sierra.

I think you are right in that OC can't really boot Windows and seems to default to the NVMe drive (with Catalina).

I love the OC documentation, but the description of the new DeduplicateBootOrder is not super clear to me.

1 hour ago, AudioGod said:

Thanks for the tip.

I had AdviseWindows = NO in 0.5.8 it worked fine.

But I tried setting AdviseWindows = Yes in the current 0.5.9 and it made no difference.

I can boot Windows but only via boot picker - not via Startup Disk selection.

Something in 0.5.9 has changed for me.

Need to go back to 0.5.8 and try again.

UPDATE: reverting back to 0.5.8 and all is working - switching between macOS and Windows via Startup disk and Windows Bootcamp control panel. Hmmmm

Edited by MacNB
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, arsradu said:

I know how that is. My OCD wouldn't let me sleep either if something wasn't right. :))

I spent two days trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with BCA and why it won't let me format the freaking USB drive!! Turns out it tries to format it as GUID + ExFAT. And to make things more fun, it also throws an error in the process.

So you can't create the USB drive using BCA itself on MacOS. Or at least I couldn't. But as I said a few posts before, this was my first time using BCA, so...I'm sure there are plenty of things to learn! :) 

And if you want to add the Support Software to the same USB, the drive needs to be MBR + FAT32 otherwise it will throw another wonderful error.

Like...WHY?! So..first you format it as GUID + ExFAT (which fails) in order to "make the USB drive for Windows". But then in order to add the Support Software to it, you want to format it AGAIN (which will obviously also erase the whole thing) as MBR + FAT32?! Are you freaking kidding me?!!

So the way to do it is simple (if you already know how to do it):

1. format the Windows boot drive as MBR + FAT32 (Legacy Mode) and add Windows to it using UnetBootin on the Mac, or in Windows directly, with Rufus. Ideally you should try avoiding using Windows to make Windows... I mean, at least that's what I tried to do.

2. add support software with BCA (careful on the SMBIOS). This time it will work, since the drive is already formatted as expected. And it won't delete your Windows information, cause that would be bad.

3. select the hard drive you want to put Windows on and let it format it as it pleases (select how much storage you want to allocate to Windows and how much to MacOS, in case you want to make a split Windows + MacOS, like I did).

4. reboot and boot off of the USB drive.

Two things to remember:

1. if you have multiple drives connected at the same time, you need to use either iMac14,2 or MacPro6,1 SMBIOS which should allow you to enter BCA in the first place.

2. if you don't have multiple drives connected, you can also use iMacPro1,1 or something else and I think it will put its files on your hard drive (not USB). I could be wrong here, but the first thing it will ask you to do if you use one of these SMBIOSes, is to disconnect any USB drive. So...I'm assuming it's not gonna use them.

In fact, I heard this is actually the "new method" and the old method (with making the USB installer, adding support software to it and only after that, partition the drive) is for older machines. Again, could be wrong. Just sharing my experience in case it helps anyone.

27435858_2020-05-2018_14_45.png.e182a6f0a01ed86977a0f11960f540de.png

https://github.com/acidanthera/OcBinaryData/tree/master/Drivers

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Andrey1970 said:

I see... So that's why it failed. :) It makes sense. Alright, so that was my bad.

It still doesn't explain why the hell does it want to reformat the same drive as MBR + FAT32 after that! :)) I mean, assuming it doesn't show any errors and it succeeds adding Windows to that USB drive, it still doesn't make any sense to format it again on the second step, to add Support Software to it. But maybe I missed something. :D

So...I'll try again. But this time with the ExFAT (does that stand for Extra FAT? Cause I don't know why would you want that, especially with staying at home and all that.). :)) Joking, of course.

Update:

Alright. So, with the ExFatDxe driver in place, and correctly added to config (which for some reason I always forget to do, resulting in all kinds of issues :))), looks like I can now format the drive as ExFat, from Disk Utility. It still fails though, from BCA. Could be a bug. Could be something else. No idea. The drive is actually formatted, for as far as I can see. It just doesn't move any further at that step... It just starts formatting, (formatting looks ok, if that's indeed the correct format for making a bootable Windows USB drive, which...I don't know, could be), throws this error and then stops.

For as far as I could see, even real Mac users are getting this. So...as I said, could be a bug.

344516591_Screenshot2020-05-20at18_47_22.thumb.png.df1dee61c1d5b8d002ac7abfcce74c28.png

Edited by arsradu

Forgot to add, with 0.5.9, I am seeing these "Invalid file system policy (400/F0103)" in the OC log:

07:078 00:003 OCB: Invalid file system policy (400/F0103) for BBBACE98
07:080 00:001 OCB: Adding fs BBBACE98 (E:0|L:1|P:Security Violation) - PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/NVMe(0x1,36-39-28-51-29-A7-79-64)/HD(1,GPT,48FD2EC1-C3AE-4458-B959-BDBEED7D2ABE,0x28,0x64000)
07:082 00:002 OCB: Invalid file system policy (400/F0103) for BB983B18
07:084 00:001 OCB: Adding fs BB983B18 (E:0|L:0|P:Security Violation) - PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x2)/Sata(0x0,0xFFFF,0x0)/HD(1,GPT,B23BFB37-1721-48BA-823F-76152B5DC630,0x28,0x64000)
07:086 00:002 OCB: Invalid file system policy (400/F0103) for BB95DB18
07:088 00:001 OCB: Adding fs BB95DB18 (E:0|L:0|P:Security Violation) - PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x2)/Sata(0x1,0xFFFF,0x0)/HD(1,GPT,A4CE4F1A-43C6-492D-BB16-2DD6EABCE4EF,0x28,0x64000)
07:090 00:001 OCPI: Located cached partition entries
07:091 00:001 OCB: Invalid file system policy (200/F0103) for BB94DA98
07:093 00:001 OCB: Adding fs BB94DA98 (E:0|L:0|P:Security Violation) - PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x2)/Sata(0x1,0xFFFF,0x0)/HD(7,GPT,8B191946-A4A6-4CDF-8D18-F0E28B417C68,0x574107A8,0x135F20)

On 5/19/2020 at 3:35 AM, markl18 said:

hi can you explain how to get the iso file to be recognized qemu that it should work booting into windows into msdos partiton

you can assign it, either as a device (for .img files) by adding

-device if=virtio,format=raw,file=/path/to/device 
-device if=ide,format=raw,file=/path/to/image,id=someId

... or simply with

-cdrom /path/to/iso

Qemu has some very good docs, read those first. It covers a lot and there are examples.

You can find a lot in other places.

Windows is a {censored} - so for virtio to work you must (!?!) a virtual driver made by redhat or

use if=ide instead of if=virtio, go with if=ide if you dont plan a long-term VM use otherwise download the iso with drivers

from fedora: 'google virtio drivers win10 iso'

---

Dude, you need to clean that screen... gross!

4 minutes ago, markl18 said:

Hi I get this hang it doesn’t kp just 54773003-72DE-4002-BF8C-8ABA67F44611.thumb.jpeg.ded5ba35129b4fa37d82378ede39b1d9.jpeg

Dude, you need to clean that screen... gross!

Edited by Synapsis
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MacNB said:

Catalina is on separate NVMe drive and yes it's on the first partition.

Mojave is on separate SSD drive and it's the only partition.

Widows is on yet another SSD and it's effectively the first partition followed by High Sierra.

I think you are right in that OC can't really boot Windows and seems to default to the NVMe drive (with Catalina).

I love the OC documentation, but the description of the new DeduplicateBootOrder is not super clear to me.

Thanks for the tip.

I had AdviseWindows = NO in 0.5.8 it worked fine.

But I tried setting AdviseWindows = Yes in the current 0.5.9 and it made no difference.

I can boot Windows but only via boot picker - not via Startup Disk selection.

Something in 0.5.9 has changed for me.

Need to go back to 0.5.8 and try again.

UPDATE: reverting back to 0.5.8 and all is working - switching between macOS and Windows via Startup disk and Windows Bootcamp control panel. Hmmmm

This bit from the docs is interesting.

2. AdviseWindows Type: plist boolean Failsafe: false Description: Forces Windows support in FirmwareFeatures. Added bits to FirmwareFeatures:

• FW_FEATURE_SUPPORTS_CSM_LEGACY_MODE (0x1) - Without this bit it is not possible to reboot to Windows installed on a drive with EFI partition being not the first partition on the disk.

• FW_FEATURE_SUPPORTS_UEFI_WINDOWS_BOOT (0x20000000) - Without this bit it is not possible to reboot to Windows installed on a drive with EFI partition being the first partition on the disk.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, markl18 said:

Hi I get this hang it doesn’t kp just

That's funny... :)) Cause I was literally talking about this a few posts above. In a whole another context though. But yeah. I'm guessing you probably need to fix your graphics.

So I would recommend taking a look at Intel Framebuffer patching and, in case you haven't already, while you're at it, add Lilu + WhateverGreen kexts to your /Kexts folder inside OC.

1 minute ago, arsradu said:

That's funny... :)) Cause I was literally talking about this a few posts above. In a whole another context though. But yeah. I'm guessing you probably need to fix your graphics.

So I would recommend taking a look at Intel Framebuffer patching and, in case you haven't already, while you're at it, add Lilu + WhateverGreen kexts to your /Kexts folder inside OC.

Believe me those are the first once’s I put in now as far my graphics are concerned I need some serious help it’s oldy hd4400 if any one has any pointers I will take what I can get

34 minutes ago, markl18 said:

Believe me those are the first once’s I put in now as far my graphics are concerned I need some serious help it’s oldy hd4400 if any one has any pointers I will take what I can get

Well you're in luck. Cause I'm using a Haswell CPU (as you can probably tell from my signature). It's a Desktop CPU though, so things might be different for you. But...I think I could help.

So, for HD4400 (just like the HD4600 I'm using), you need to take a look at the ig-platform-id values posted here. How do you choose you ask? Simple. You try the default/recommended ones first. Then, if it doesn't work, you try some of the other ones. In your case, you should take a look at the ones marked with "mobile".

"Recommended framebuffers : for desktop - 0x0D220003 (default); for laptop - 0x0A160000 (default), 0x0A260005 (recommended), 0x0A260006 (recommended); "empty framebuffer" - 0x04120004 (default)."

So. For example, you can try 0x0A260005 or 0x0A260006.

How?

Simple. In your OC config.plist, you go to Device Properties, select your iGPU PCI address (obviously, this requires another machine, since you can't boot off of your laptop right now) and add, with reversed bytes:

either 0500260A OR 0600260A.

For example: if your PCI address is PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0) you will add it like this:

DeviceProperties

Add

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)

AAPL,ig-platform-id (the key) = 0500260A (the value)

Class should be Data.

Should look something like this (you can ignore the #AAPL,ig-platform-id up top; that's for headless connection and it's also disabled). And obviously, that value is for my iGPU. :)  So you need to replace it with yours.

391941987_Screenshot2020-05-20at19_48_47.thumb.png.d5bc2a2378fa49f1a664091298d431bd.png

Save the config. And try to boot again.

Edited by arsradu

8 hours ago, vit9696 said:

@makk, sorry if that was unclear. I meant you can edit Info.plist of VoodooPS2-related kexts. Like this: https://github.com/acidanthera/VoodooPS2/commit/535e81517355d1b6d2aaaaf24e6972de15006265

thank you Vit

Will give this a shot. In the ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.kext & and AsusNBFnKeys.kext

For the VoodooPS2Controller, to get it to recognize CAP lock, NUMlock, other FN keys, I had a problem.  The TouchPad worked and Mouse, and Keyboard. 

Tried out the AsusSMC.kext and loaded the daemon.  How to unload the daemon without destruction?

Updating to the latest Catalina beta 5 I got this:

OCUI: Entry kind 16 unsupported for IconOCB: ShowMenu failed - Unsupported
Halting on critical error

Restarted the install process and it completed the second time no issues. Using OC 0.5.9 build e7989ef

Hey guys an update on my Boot-Chime woes. It turns out that the Boot-chime was there all along but for some reason the signal from the sound card was at the headphone jack and then would switch to speaker port at the back of the case once it reaches the desktop. I would like to thank arsradu and vit9696 for all the suggestions but the big Hero of the day is the man himself Audiogod, quite an apt title. His suggestion was spot on - Change your audio output to a value until you get Boot-Chime at startup and that was the answer :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Hey guys an update on my Boot-Chime woes. It turns out that the Boot-chime was there all along but for some reason the signal from the sound card was at the headphone jack and then would switch to speaker port at the back of the case once it reaches the desktop. I would like to thank arsradu and vit9696 for all the suggestions but the big Hero of the day is the man himself Audiogod, quite an apt title. His suggestion was spot on - Change your audio output to a value until you get Boot-Chime at startup and that was the answer :thumbsup_anim:

Awesome! Glad you managed to fix it! I think I also mentioned the Audio Out thingy in my reply. :P So which value did it work for you after all?

Just now, arsradu said:

Awesome! Glad you managed to fix it! I think I also mentioned the Audio Out thingy in my reply. :P So which value did it work for you after all?

A big fat ZERO :hysterical:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, eSaF said:

A big fat ZERO :hysterical:

LOOOOOOLLL!!!!! :))) That's good to know! Anyway, I'm really happy you managed to fix it! It's been a pleasure talking to you, man! Really. I love talking to people like you. And I'm really glad I could help (even if it wasn't really much at all).

Now you can sleep well tonight. And not on the rug outside the door. :))

Edited by arsradu
  • Haha 1

Just now, arsradu said:

LOOOOOOLLL!!!!! :))) That's good to know! Anyway, I'm really happy you managed to fix it! It's been a pleasure talking to you, man! And I'm really glad I could help (even if it wasn't really much at all).

Now you can sleep well tonight. And not on the rug outside the door. :))

Hey how did you know about the rug thing - you been talking to my wife? :lol: Yea it was a little stressful as I hate to know something is beating me, but alls well that ends well :thumbsup_anim:

• Haha 1

Just now, eSaF said:

Hey how did you know about the rug thing - you been talking to my wife? :lol: Yea it was a little stressful as I hate to know something is beating me, but alls well that ends well :thumbsup_anim:

I just know my girlfriend would do the same. :)) So, I totally understand what you're going through, man. And yeah, I'm the same. I don't like it when things don't make sense.

Anyway, enjoy! :D 

• Like 1