OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,805 posts in this topic

@vit9696 the AudioDxe you attached DOES work. Including with my previous compilation of OC (I used release version, since that doesn't seem to make any difference anyway). So basically yesterday's OC with today's AudioDxe. And it does work. :) 

I'll also try building with today's updated sources to see if there's any difference compared to your attached AudioDxe. I'm assuming there won't be. 

Speaking of which.

Here's a side-by-side comparison between AudioDxe debug and release from Yesterday. Both compared with AudioDxe Release from AppleSupportPkg 2.1.7 downloaded a while ago.

From left to right: AudioDxe from AppleSupport 2.1.7 -> AudioDxe from yesterday's 0.5.9 RELEASE -> AudioDxe from yesterday's 0.5.9 DEBUG.

They're all different sizes. Which makes me think their content is probably also pretty different, too.

67945411_Screenshot2020-05-20at11_18_50.thumb.png.7c81951b7a8b87da96db748073c4fa9c.png

11 minutes ago, vit9696 said:

@arsradu please upload your compiled release binary from master if it does not work for you.

Testing in progress... MD5 hash is identical to the one of your build. So I'm assuming the result will be the same.

MD5 (/Desktop/AudioDxe.efi) = f61d54819a4b38315ffd9550c375d638

MD5 (/Desktop/OpenCorePkg-master/Binaries/OpenCore-0.5.9-RELEASE/EFI/OC/Drivers/AudioDxe.efi) = f61d54819a4b38315ffd9550c375d638

I'll update you with the results in a few minutes. :) 

Edited by arsradu

10 hours ago, arsradu said:

If you select MacOS from Windows BootCamp, then MacOS will become your default boot and it should boot into it, yes. If it's still set to Windows, then it will just boot back into Windows, since that's the default boot option.

If you don't select anything and reset NVRAM, the default option will be the first one in your boot picker. Could be wrong, but this was the case in my experience.

As for Windows...I don't know. I never tried installing it this way. So...it could be fine.

You can check it out from Terminal, by typing:

diskutil list

I think there's a way from Windows, as well. Disk Manager or something like that. Or third party solutions like Partition Wizard.

But if you're already on the Mac, I guess diskutil might be the closest option. You can post the output here, if you want.

I have confirmed that my Windows installation is in UEFI mode.

29569843_412EDA7E-1612-4392-9753-A8CDE3BC169C.png.thumb.jpg.b1e36daea86966ab64d9bcd11b3ae78b.jpg1145897020_ScreenShot2020-05-20at11_43_49AM.thumb.png.261d7e3f0e0935e5781b981758e52092.png

I have noticed as well that in Windows, some of the informations are coming from the macOS settings. See first image. Is this normal? Does it have any effect on Windows part?

@vit9696 test completed. Results below.

Scenario 1:

AudioDxe from today's Release version (identical to yours) + OC from yesterday (also Release version) = all good

Scenario 2:

everything (AudioDxe + OC) from today = all good.

Test PASSED.

Also, I have a question, which is not related to AudioDxe in any way, but it could be related to OC, although I think SMBIOS might have something to do with this, as well...

When booting, it stays a lot (for about 10 seconds - update: 17s to be exact, from the time it reaches the middle, till the time it moves on to second stage) with loading bar in the middle, before switching to second stage and booting to Desktop. Any idea why? Booting off of SSD, by the way. Not NVMe SSD. SATA. But still SSD.

Does the SMBIOS have anything to do with it? I'm using iMac14,2 now. But I don't remember having this issue with iMacPro1,1... I mean, it wasn't crazy fast. But...I don't think it was this slow either.

Again, not sure this has anything to do with OC itself...or maybe something else. Just curious if you had different results in boot times between one SMBIOS and the other.

Edited by arsradu

20 minutes ago, insanefrancis said:

I have confirmed that my Windows installation is in UEFI mode.

29569843_412EDA7E-1612-4392-9753-A8CDE3BC169C.png.thumb.jpg.b1e36daea86966ab64d9bcd11b3ae78b.jpg1145897020_ScreenShot2020-05-20at11_43_49AM.thumb.png.261d7e3f0e0935e5781b981758e52092.png

I have noticed as well that in Windows, some of the informations are coming from the macOS settings. See first image. Is this normal? Does it have any effect on Windows part?

Windows System info displayed is correct. It's what OC passes to Windows (just like on a real Mac).

In the Config file if you set SpoofVendor=YES, you will see ACIDANTHERA, if you set it NO then the BIOS DATA (MSI, etc) will be displayed for the System Manufacturer. The other data will be the same.

Your Windows drive has it's EFI partition as partition 2 which is strange. Normally for GPT type partition scheme, EFI partition is the first partition.

I agree. Partition order seems off. Also, your EFI is named "NO NAME" instead of EFI. And it's smaller than usual. Should be around 200MB, yours is around 100MB.

For comparison, this is what my BootCamp Windows drive looks like (you can ignore the Backup partition I made).

635338197_Screenshot2020-05-20at12_16_52.thumb.png.c621107743796081023e7605feb3e2cb.png

AdviseWindows
Type: plist boolean
Failsafe: false
Description: Forces Windows support in FirmwareFeatures.
Added bits to FirmwareFeatures:
• FW_FEATURE_SUPPORTS_CSM_LEGACY_MODE (0x1) - Without this bit it is not possible to reboot to Windows
installed on a drive with EFI partition being not the first partition on the disk.
• FW_FEATURE_SUPPORTS_UEFI_WINDOWS_BOOT (0x20000000) - Without this bit it is not possible to reboot to
Windows installed on a drive with EFI partition being the first partition on the disk.

Hi! Is there a guide for compiling OpenCore under Linux environment? Like Debian/Ubuntu?

I'm trying hard but I feel I'm missing something different every time. I'd love to test "nightly" builds.

Thanks!

K.

28 minutes ago, vit9696 said:

@arsradu, stuff like that is often caused by APFS. With time it may need maintenance across the reboots like snapshot cleaning, trim, and so on. You can always inspect the verbose log for more details.

I see... Thanks for the info! :) 

I just tested verbose mode, and surprisingly enough (at least for me), it seems to hang to something Ethernet related. Or at least that's what it looks like. Please, see the attached photo. That's the last thing it prints out before switching to second stage with graphics and all that.

IMG_20200520_131720823.jpg

1 hour ago, arsradu said:

I agree. Partition order seems off. Also, your EFI is named "NO NAME" instead of EFI. And it's smaller than usual. Should be around 200MB, yours is around 100MB.

For comparison, this is what my BootCamp Windows drive looks like (you can ignore the Backup partition I made).

635338197_Screenshot2020-05-20at12_16_52.thumb.png.c621107743796081023e7605feb3e2cb.png

@arsradu My Windows disk on my hack has the same strange order so I just had to double checked this for myself on a non macOS system and windows partitions the disk with the EFI at 100mb and after the Recovery Partition as standard and doesn't give the EFI partition a name.

@vit9696 Would this be connected to why my disk order is always changing via MountEFI with every restart? Sometimes my macOS drive is the lead drive out of the 4 I have in there and then on the next reboot its listed somewhere else in the disk order,

Edited by AudioGod

For the love of all things good and hackable, can some kind person please look through my EFI Folder and tell me what I am missing causing a previous Boot-Chime working in OC 0.5.8 not to work in OC 0.5.9 - Cold boot, hot boot, different permutations you name I done it. I went to bed at 3.00 am this morning mumbling to my self with the wife threatening to send me to the spare bedroom. I am not desperate to have it's just the thought that something so simple (well I thought it was) is doing my head in. I don't usually ask for help, I tend to quietly just to figure things out, nothing to with pride just scared of looking and sounding stupid :) but as the saying goes ...'A Faint Heart Never ....... etc, etc. Ok enough of the mindless rambling :lol: please save my sanity, my marriage (rambling again!!!) and my Hack, take a look at the folder please (personal data removed) Thanks.

EFI.zip

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

@arsradu My Windows disk on my hack has the same strange order so I just had to double checked this for myself on a non macOS system and windows partitions the disk with the EFI at 100mb and after the Recovery Partition as standard and doesn't give the EFI partition a name.

@vit9696 Would this be connected to why my macOS boot time slows down over time without me doing anything and also why my disk order is always changing via MountEFI with every restart? Sometimes my macOS drive is the lead drive out of the 4 I have in there and then on the next reboot its listed somewhere else in the disk order,

The partitioning, in my case, was done by BootCamp Assistant itself. So, the EFI is created by MacOS, not Windows. Could be that Windows only creates a 100MB partition.

Also, I did notice the second thing, as well. I didn't pay much attention to it. But I don't think it's related to OC. In fact, I used to have this issue a lot more often with Clover than OpenCore. But, as I said, I didn't pay much attention to it. My boot drive is usually the first one in the list.

I think it might have something to do with your NVRAM and the default boot disk you have set up. I could be wrong though. So, please, ignore my comment if that's inaccurate.

Edited by arsradu

Just now, arsradu said:

The partitioning, in my case, was done by BootCamp Assistant itself. So, the EFI is done by MacOS, not Windows. Could be that Windows only creates a 100MB partition.

Also, I did notice the second thing, as well. I didn't pay much attention to it. But I don't think it's related to OC. In fact, I used to have this issue a lot more often with Clover than OpenCore. But, as I said, I didn't pay much attention to it. My boot drive is usually the first one in the list.

I think it might have something to do with your NVRAM and the default boot disk you have set up. I could be wrong though. So, please, ignore my comment if that's inaccurate.

Yeah its always been there with me too tbh,

I always put it down to macOS but its always bugged me as to why it happens.

I never thought it was OC or any other boot loader related. When you have OCD like I do it can send you a little loopy but mind you I'm little loopy full stop.. :frantics::) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, arsradu said:

I just checked 3 modern desktop computers and it has the same partition scheme, 1=Recovery, 2=EFI, 3=Data. I also asked some friends and also the same as what I have.

Annotation 2020-05-20 135424.png

Edited by insanefrancis

7 minutes ago, eSaF said:

For the love of all things good and hackable, can some kind person please look through my EFI Folder and tell me what I am missing causing a previous Boot-Chime working in OC 0.5.8 not to work in OC 0.5.9 - Cold boot, hot boot, different permutations you name I done it. I went to bed at 3.00 am this morning mumbling to my self with the wife threatening to send me to the spare bedroom. I am not desperate to have it's just the thought that something so simple (well I thought it was) is doing my head in. I don't usually ask for help, I tend to quietly just to figure things out, nothing to with pride just scared of looking and sounding stupid :) but as the saying goes ...'A Faint Heart Never ....... etc, etc. Ok enough of the mindless rambling :lol: please save my sanity, my marriage (rambling again!!!) and my Hack, take a look at the folder please (personal data removed) Thanks.

EFI.zip

Try this. Your OC and AudioDxe look fine... I replaced them with my own, just to have some consistency.

The only thing that caught my eye as possibly causing issues is your Timeout. So I set it to 5s (default). Maybe the chime needs a bit of time to shine...sort of speak? :)) 

Also, is AudioOut = 1 correct? I mean, it should be, since it works with 0.5.8 with the same config. I set mine to 2. Not sure if that's 100% correct. But that seems to work. :))

2 minutes ago, insanefrancis said:

I just checked 3 modern desktop computers and it has the same partition scheme, 1=Recovery, 2=EFI, 3=Data. I also asked some friends and also the same as what I have.

Annotation 2020-05-20 135424.png

Since 1909, this is the default partioning for Windows 10. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matgen84 said:

Since 1909, this is the default partioning for Windows 10. 

1909?! That was a long time ago. Windows 10 wasn't even around at that time. :)) Windows itself wasn't around. Bill Gates wasn't around either!

Bad dorky joke..? Ok... Sorry... :D 

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, arsradu said:

1909?! That was a long time ago. Windows 10 wasn't even around at that time. :)) Windows itself wasn't around. Bill Gates wasn't around either!

Bad dorky joke..? Ok... Sorry... :D 

The future major update: Windows 2004 :) A little bit funny too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

The future major update: Windows 2004 :) A little bit funny too.

That is funny! :))

On a more serious note, in my Windows Bootcamp installation journey, Windows (not sure which version it is, but it was freshly downloaded from Microsoft, so I'm guessing probably at least the 1909 version) didn't create any Recovery partition. I guess it just used the EFI already present.

The issue here...might be that MacOS probably still expects EFI to be the first partition... So, even if for Windows, the order might not be relevant, I think it still is for MacOS.

6 hours ago, arsradu said:

Are you booting off of an USB drive? What's your system hardware configuration? Can you add some details to your signature so we know what we're talking about.

If you're on a newer system, try to see if you have a driver called XhciDxe.efi in your Drivers folder and remove it. You don't need it for newer systems. I think this is for Ivy Bridge.

It 10 years old haswell yoga 2 pro hd4400 4510u It is opencore 0.5.9

Edited by markl18

@vit9696 I think I might have found the issue for hanging on boot...

Initially I thought it's something related to the network kext. So I removed that. => Slow boot.

Then I removed all the kexts except for Lilu, VirtualSMC and WEG. => Slow boot.

Then I noticed it started to hang on gIOScreenLockState 3, which I don't know exactly what it is, but I remember it was something related to graphics.

IMG_20200520_163351766.thumb.jpg.fcab041ba225368827e4b80540d992d1.jpg

So I thought: ok...maybe my iGPU is really slow, and it's dragging everything down. Or maybe WEG is waiting before it can move on.

I'm using ig-platform-id 0300220D (default). So...with framebuffer. If I use headless (04001204), it might be faster, but then I'll have other issues, as you probably remember. :)

Aaanyway, so that made me try to test my theory. So I set BIOS to PEG (it was already), but disabled multi-monitor support. Result: fast boot. :)) A LOT faster (it was down to a max 2 seconds from 17 seconds). So yeah...looks like that's the reason.

I don't know if there's anything that can be improved here... I wish there was, but then again, I know it's an old computer with old integrated graphics. So...I don't expect any miracles. But I'm just saying, IF there's anything that can be done on WEG side for example, to improve this (or if there's something else I can try), I would really appreciate it! :) 

Edited by arsradu

Just built 0.5.9

Clear NVRAM

With the removal of RequestBootVarFallback setting and replaced with DeduplicateBootOrder setting, I can no longer set Windows as startup drive from System Preferences. It see's the Windows drive:

1117525080_Screenshot2020-05-20at14_12_00.png.24d12969e553c78586b65aba35ee68ff.png

I soon as I click restart, I get:

1493312497_Screenshot2020-05-20at14_07_21.png.ed1e1235a23cdb1df845535e7ee7f261.png

If I select my Mojave drive, that boots Mojave fine.

Once in Mojave, I can select Windows as Startup and restarts the PC, OC now boots my Catalina partition instead of Windows :shock: ! 

ScanPolicy is set to 0x000F0103

BootProtect = none

Anyone else seen this ?

UPDATE:

Workaround:

I had to disable the Misc->Entries ->0 (my custom Windows Entry).

Added the Misc->BlessOverride->0-> \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

Now OC 0.5.9 boots Windows from System Preferences Startup Disk.

I say this is a workaround since it's not what I wanted to happen.

I wanted a custom entry so that I can label the drive name that's display on boot picker.

Edited by MacNB
UPDATE