OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,805 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, shhbz said:

this seems interesting but the 2 questions which arise in my mind is

1.does your sleep/wake work with graphics set to IGD

2.have you tried encoding, decoding a file and rendering a small timeline adding some effects does the DGPU works better that way.

1. checked. yes, it does.

2. I have not tried it yet. But according to FCPX, the Renderer is still the dGPU (RX 580). So I don't expect any issues there. I'm really, really new to FCPX. So I'm not really sure what to look for. But I'll try importing a video, adding a few effects and let you know the results. But please, note that they're gonna be coming from a complete noob. :))

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, arsradu said:

2. I have not tried it yet. But according to FCPX, the Renderer is still the dGPU (RX 580). So I don't expect any issues there. I'm really, really new to FCPX. So I'm not really sure what to look for. But I'll try importing a video, adding a few effects and let you know the results. But please, note that they're gonna be coming from a complete noob. :))

I am always compiling the WEG & Lilu kexts so always use the latest.

Believe me, I have tried many many direct combinations to get FCPX to Decode AND Encode instead of the CPU/IGPU and the only thing that works is IGPU=OFF and iMacPro1,1 on Ivy Bridge.

With your IGPU enabled, I'm pretty sure that you'll find that FCPX will NOT use the dGPU for HEVC for decode or encode.

FCPX always uses the RX580 for rendering. The issue is Encode & Decode

Attached is a little menu App developed by mitch_de that displays the dGPU Encode / Decode state in real-time (amongst other things).

As you play a video clip (in QT or VLC), you will Dec=YES or NO on the menu bar. Same with Importing a video clip into FCPX.

Try a 4K 30 second video clip for testing. When you Export a video clip from FCPX (or VideoProc App), you should see Enc=YES. If you do not, then the RX580 is NOT being used for Encode and you will see the CPU & IGPU workload increase.

Anyway, I guess we're going off topic now in this OC thread.

AMD GPU Menue V0.85.zip

EDIT: BTW, Forgot to mention, FCPX v10.4.8 breaks HEVC encoding on RX580 on Catalina. I use 10.4.6 on Mojave. So many real Mac user with eGPU's are complaining.So now Apple are dropping eGPU support instead of fixing the issues.  Even BlackMagic have stopped selling their eGPU product. There are so many regressions in Catalina it's unbelievable what Apple are up to :(

Edited by MacNB
Update
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, arsradu said:

just add some clips to timeline, add some random effects and try to play the timeline in realtime and see if it lags or renders fine, and while export keep a check on your gpu reading as how much is being used through hwmonitor or istat (whatever you using) that will help to know if Rx580 is working fine at full load to render the video.

On 5/13/2020 at 10:07 AM, ghost8282 said:

Is edk2-stable202002 supported officially?

Just for completeness, in configuration.pdf there is also this info:

Currently supported EDK II release is hosted in acidanthera/audk

And in the repo:

Acidanthera UEFI Development Kit (based on edk2-stable202002)

Hello everyone,

Anyone tried to use the Boot Camp Assistant on macOS Catalina with OC? it won't start, it raise the following message: 'this mac is not compatible with Boot Camp'.

I'm using the SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 and as per Apple's support page is supported. In the meantime I installed bootcamp in windows manually and the restart assistant works like a charm.

Maybe I missing something on my configuration (PlatformInfo) or something related?

Attached are my EFI folder.

Thanks in advance.

EFI.zip

I mean...I haven't (would be interesting to try as a test)...but...why would you do that? For as far as I know, BootCamp is pretty much emulated Windows. But you're already on native hardware for Windows. So...why emulate it? :))

2 minutes ago, arsradu said:

I mean...I haven't (would be interesting to try as a test)...but...why would you do that? For as far as I know, BootCamp is pretty much emulated Windows. But you're already on native hardware for Windows. So...why emulate it? :))

Well, why? Just to 'test' and to say later: real-mac-alike full covered. hahaha --- my idea with the assistant were to download the 'windows support package' to install bootcamp helper in Window; finally I downloaded the software using the tool 'brigadier' https://github.com/timsutton/brigadier, but the doubt remained in my mind.

On my Windows disk I've installed bootcamp and have the same option to 'select startup disk', and that doesn't give me any improvement, just 'fancy' things xD.

• Like 1

Just now, familygw said:

Well, why? Just to 'test' and to say later: real-mac-alike full covered. hahaha --- my idea with the assistant were to download the 'windows support package' to install bootcamp helper in Window; finally I downloaded the software using the tool 'brigadier' https://github.com/timsutton/brigadier, but the doubt remained in my mind.

On my Windows disk I've installed bootcamp and have the same option to 'select startup disk', and that doesn't give me any improvement, just 'fancy' things xD.

Alright, let's see if we can get this to work. Last time I checked, this was not possible (nor advisable, nor useful) on a hackintosh. BUT since I like an interesting challenge, let's see.

From the very beginning, I can tell you that you got further than I did. :))

Looks like you need to pay attention to the amount of drives you've got on your system. Not sure if this is Mac being picky or Windows being, well...Windows... Meaning, even on a regular installation, from a USB drive, you cannot (I still don't know why Microsoft hasn't figured that part out yet, in so many years) install Windows on a partition, if you've got multiple drives connected.

So, if you want Windows, you need to first unplug all your SATA cables, except for the one of the drive you want to install Windows on, and only AFTER that, install Windows.

So...I'm not sure this error is related to that, pushing the user to unplug every other drive on his system, but...I guess it could be.

Also, the SMBIOS we're using COULD have an effect on that. I mean...it's an iMac. You don't have more than one drive. So..maybe switching to a MacPro5,1 or 6,1, or any other tower Mac Pro I guess, could make a difference.

1061741881_Screenshot2020-05-14at20_57_04.thumb.png.aa7a6d756221f1f89092ac636f5cfdcf.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Alright, let's see if we can get this to work. Last time I checked, this was not possible (nor advisable, nor useful) on a hackintosh. BUT since I like an interesting challenge, let's see.

From the very beginning, I can tell you that you got further than I did. :))

Looks like you need to pay attention to the amount of drives you've got on your system. Not sure if this is Mac being picky or Windows being, well...Windows... Meaning, even on a regular installation, from a USB drive, you cannot (I still don't know why Microsoft hasn't figured that part out yet, in so many years) install Windows on a partition, if you've got multiple drives connected.

So, if you want Windows, you need to first unplug all your SATA cables, except for the one of the drive you want to install Windows on, and only AFTER that, install Windows.

So...I'm not sure this error is related to that, pushing the user to unplug every other drive on his system, but...I guess it could be.

Also, the SMBIOS we're using COULD have an effect on that. I mean...it's an iMac. You don't have more than one drive. So..maybe switching to a MacPro5,1 or 6,1, or any other tower Mac Pro I guess, could make a difference.

1061741881_Screenshot2020-05-14at20_57_04.thumb.png.aa7a6d756221f1f89092ac636f5cfdcf.png

Yup, unplug the other drives was one of my plans to test. I'll try to see if I have any difference. Right now, I'm not able to open the assistant either, it respond with a tinny alert with the message that my Mac is not compatible.

Thx.

7 hours ago, shhbz said:

any progress here to get rid of these issue. as for me too all end sorted but logs mention these would be more quick to load if some can be sorted

Nope, still there with OC 0.5.8. As machine is working OK and there was no response here, i decided to ignore it.
Now I'm playing with that GPU encode/decode thing that guys just mentioned. I got videoproc.app and VideoToolbox in Handbrake to work with HD4600 iGPU but I can't make Radeon RX 570 to work also, and to have HW h265 and HEVC encoding would be nice.

1 hour ago, arsradu said:

Meaning, even on a regular installation, from a USB drive, you cannot [...] install Windows on a partition, if you've got multiple drives connected.

This is false.

People here know to create a UEFI Windows install right. Just throwing that out there. Rhetorical.

2 hours ago, Tiem said:

This is false.

People here know to create a UEFI Windows install right. Just throwing that out there. Rhetorical.

Not completely false.

Forgetting macOS for a moment, on a standard PC with multiple drives, there are problems formatting & installing Windows.

Say you had two drives A & B. If you don't disable A when you install Windows onto B, some EFI bootfiles for Windows will still most likely BE INSTALLED on A depending on which port the drive is enumerated. That is OK as long as you keep using both A and B. However if you replace or format A, the windows system will also be affected (because the boot files are missing and will get BCD errors).

On 5/14/2020 at 6:51 PM, arsradu said:

Actually, BootCamp Assistant(BCA) is not emulated at. BCA is a mechanism/process/utility to install real Windows on a Mac.

It is not a Virtual Machine, emulation or simulation.

It's a method to boot either macOS or Windows - but not both at the same.

BCA checks the Mac model ID.

It does not work on iMac models that never originally had TWO drives.

I had one of the first Allum iMac with a Superdrive (DVD) which I replaced with an SSD for Windows.

BCA refused to install Windows the SSD. I had to clone the macOS (Sierra) onto the SSD, disable macOS HDD and boot off the SSD to install Windows on a separate partition via BCA.

Assuming one drive, BCA partitions the ONE existing drive to add an NTFS partition for Windows.

On Mac Pro model id's, it allows you install Windows on a second drive.

BCA provides the correct H/W Windows drivers for the specific supported Mac model.

To be honest, on a Hackintosh there's no real need to run BCA on the Mac side. Just install Windows the traditional "PC" way.

Running Bootcamp on the Windows side makes sense - just to be able switch the Default boot drive back to macOS.

On Windows side, it all installs Apple windows software & drivers to allow audio Volume Control, Video drivers, Bluetooth drivers, etc  that work with Apple peripherals such as Magic Keyboard & Mouse. E.g. when I press the Volume UP key on my Apple Magic Mouse, the Apple volume graphic appears on the Windows screen - just like on macOS.

BTW, getting the Apple bluetooth peripherals to work with Windows requires some black magic and sequencing even with Bootcamp on windows.

E.g. I could not get Windows to connect to my Magic Keyboard until I rebooted back into macOS and removed the bluetooth connections with the keyboard and mouse completely. I then had to attached a wired keyboard and mouse temporarily. Then, boot back into Windows which now allowed me to connect & pair with the kb/mouse. Then, boot back into macOS and then pair the kb/mouse. After that both macOS & Windows consistently work with the peripherals on every boot.

I think latest Bootcamp drivers makes takes this pain away.

Edited by MacNB
typo
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, MacNB said:

Not completely false.

Forgetting macOS for a moment, on a standard PC with multiple drives, there are problems formatting & installing Windows.

Say you had two drives A & B. If you don't disable A when you install Windows onto B, some EFI bootfiles for Windows will still most likely BE INSTALLED on A depending on which port the drive is enumerated. That is OK as long as you keep using both A and B. However if you replace or format A, the windows system will also be affected (because the boot files are missing and will get BCD errors).

No it’s false. But you’re right. Windows will forcibly install its boot loader to the most primary drive. It’s actually pretty trivial to move that thing. But that’s besides the point.

the point is in UEFI mode Windows will install itself anywhere you tell it to. You don’t need to disconnect drives and doing that to m.2s is lunacy. It’s totally possible to install W10 anywhere, you just need to workaround the BL issue which again, is trivial.

theres lot of things Windows does forcibly but that doesn’t mean you can’t wrangle it in.

7 minutes ago, MacNB said:

Actually, BootCamp Assistant(BCA) is not emulated at. BCA is a mechanism/process/utility to install real Windows on a Mac.

It is not a Virtual Machine, emulation or simulation.

It's a method to boot either macOS or Windows - but not both at the same.

BCA checks the Mac model ID.

It does not work on iMac models that never originally had TWO drives.

I had one of the first Allum iMac with a Superdrive (DVD) which I replaced with an SSD for Windows.

BSA refused to install Windows the SSD. I had to clone the macOS (Sierra) onto the SSD, disable macOS HDD and boot off the SSD to install Windows via BCA.

Assuming one drive, BCA partitions the ONE existing drive to add an NTFS partition for Windows.

On Mac Pro model id's, it allows you install Windows on a second drive.

BCA provides the correct H/W Windows drivers for the specific supported Mac model.

To be honest, on a Hackintosh there's no real need to run BCA on the Mac side. Just install Windows the traditional "PC" way.

Running Bootcamp on the Windows side makes sense - just to be able switch the Default boot drive back to macOS.

On Windows side, it all installs Apple windows software & drivers to allow audio Volume Control, Video drivers, Bluetooth drivers, etc  that work with Apple peripherals such as Magic Keyboard & Mouse. E.g. when I press the Volume UP key on my Apple Magic Mouse, the Apple volume graphic appears on the Windows screen - just like on macOS.

BTW, getting the Apple bluetooth peripherals to work with Windows requires some black magic and sequencing even with Bootcamp on windows.

E.g. I could not get Windows to connect to my Magic Keyboard until I rebooted back into macOS and removed the bluetooth connections with the keyboard and mouse completely. I then had to attached a wired keyboard and mouse temporarily. Then, boot back into Windows which now allowed me to connect & pair with the kb/mouse. Then, boot back into macOS and then repair the kb/mouse. After that both macOS & Windows consistently work with the peripherals on every boot.

I think latest Bootcamp drivers makes takes this pain away.

Hi! yes, on hackintosh there is no a 'real reason' to use BCA. I wanted to get the 'windows support package' in order to install it on my Windows disk (in a classic and fancy way, btw, hahaha).

I've analysed the content files from BCA and I've found that the SMBIOS is used to determine which options or validations might be done (for example, which version of Windows is supported), does not matter if you have more than one HD (I was able now to run the BCA after run disk utilities > repair on my disk).

Now, with BC installed on my Windows disk, I'm able to open System Preferences > Startup Disk and select my Windows disk and restart the computer and boot directly on Windows without the need to use the OC's picker. And from Windows, I can use the bootcamp tool (from the tray) and choose to restart in macOS.

Check this video (I'm preparing mine): 

31 minutes ago, familygw said:

Hi! yes, on hackintosh there is no a 'real reason' to use BCA. I wanted to get the 'windows support package' in order to install it on my Windows disk (in a classic and fancy way, btw, hahaha).

I've analysed the content files from BCA and I've found that the SMBIOS is used to determine which options or validations might be done (for example, which version of Windows is supported), does not matter if you have more than one HD (I was able now to run the BCA after run disk utilities > repair on my disk).

Now, with BC installed on my Windows disk, I'm able to open System Preferences > Startup Disk and select my Windows disk and restart the computer and boot directly on Windows without the need to use the OC's picker. And from Windows, I can use the bootcamp tool (from the tray) and choose to restart in macOS.

Check this video (I'm preparing mine): 

BCA does not run on my hack (as it's iMacPro1,1).

But I did not need it to work.

I have a Windows entry in the OC config file (Misc->Entries) and now, in System Preferences,  I have:

957709137_Screenshot2020-05-15at00_34_40.png.7de44ecc0f000c16bb66973681a2bcb1.png

I click my Windows and then Restart button and OC boots Windows.

In Windows, run Bootcamp to boot back into macOS.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MacNB said:

But I did not need it to work.

I have a Windows entry in the OC config file (Misc->Entries) and now, in System Preferences,  I have:

957709137_Screenshot2020-05-15at00_34_40.png.7de44ecc0f000c16bb66973681a2bcb1.png

I click my Windows and then Restart button and OC boots Windows.

In Windows, run Bootcamp to boot back into macOS.

cool.

1 hour ago, MacNB said:

Well, that was my problem and I was able to solve it (disk utility > repair disk, also removed two NVRAM variables '' and '', then reset the NVRAM). I don't need to add custom entries on my config.plist, just let OC auto discover it.

Now everything runs like in the video. :thumbsup_anim:

5 hours ago, Tiem said:

Windows will forcibly install its boot loader to the most primary drive.

You can add some flags to BCD so the annoying {censored} stops doing that.

Below my glorious script that enables legacy menu, you can hit esc twice to exit SaaO™ (Spyware as a OS)

legacy bootmenu or add a DEBUG flag should you be in the need of enabling debugging in Win

(I do sincerely hope you don't have to) 

No more f***ng Win EFI overrides.

UPDATE: Forgot to mention, the below is the a batch file (something no sane person should ever write)

so name it like bcd-menu.bat and run as a Admin under Win.

@ECHO OFF
VERIFY OTHER 2>nul
SETLOCAL ENABLEEXTENSIONS
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 echo Unable to enable extensions
SETLOCAL ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 echo Unable to enable delayed expansion

echo setting bootmgr options
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 (
    echo [SUCCESS] default entry bootmenu legacy policy enabled ...
) ELSE (
    echo [FAILURE] default entry bootmenu legacy policy NOT enabled ...
)

bcdedit /set {default} testsigning  1 > nul
IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 (
    echo [SUCCESS] default entry test signing enabled ...
) ELSE (
    echo [FAILURE] default entry test signing NOT enabled ...
)
bcdedit /set {default} nointegritychecks 1 > nul
IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 (
    echo [SUCCESS] bootmenu legacy policy enabled ...
) ELSE (
    echo [FAILURE] bootmenu legacy policy enabled ...
)
bcdedit /set {default} nx alwaysoff > nul
IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 (
    echo [SUCCESS] nx default entry always disabled ...
) ELSE (
    echo [FAILURE] nx default entry NOT always disabled ...
)
bcdedit /set {default} advancedoptions 1 > nul
IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 (
    echo [SUCCESS] advanced default entry options enabled ...
) ELSE (
    echo [FAILURE] advanced default entry options NOT enabled ...
)

IF "%1"=="DEBUG" (
    echo enabling debugging
    bcdedit /set {bootmgr} debugtype serial > nul
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 (
        echo [SUCCESS] bootmgr entry debugtype serial enabled ...
    ) ELSE (
        echo [FAILURE] bootmgr entry debugtype serial NOT enabled ...
    )
    bcdedit /set {default} debugtype serial > nul
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 (
        echo [SUCCESS] default entry debugtype serial enabled ...
    ) ELSE (
        echo [FAILURE] default entry debugtype serial NOT enabled ...    
    )
    bcdedit /set {bootmgr} debugport 1 > nul
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 (
        echo [SUCCESS] bootmgr entry debugport set to 1 ...
    ) ELSE (
        echo [FAILURE] bootmgr entry debugport NOT set to 1 ...
    )
    bcdedit /set {default} debugport 1 > nul
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 (
        echo [SUCCESS] default entry debugport set to 1 ...
    ) ELSE (
        echo [FAILURE] default entry debugport NOT set to 1 ...
    )
    bcdedit /set {bootmgr} baudrate 115200 > nul
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 (
        echo [SUCCESS] bootmgr entry baudrate set to 115200 ...
    ) ELSE (
        echo [FAILURE] bootmgr entry baudrate NOT set to 115200 ...
    )
    bcdedit /set {default} baudrate 115200 > nul
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 (
        echo [SUCCESS] default entry baudrate set to 115200 ...
    ) ELSE (
        echo [FAILURE] default entry baudrate NOT set to 115200 ...
    )
    bcdedit /set {bootmgr} bootdebug on > nul
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 (
        echo [SUCCESS] bootmgr entry bootdebug enabled ...
    ) ELSE (
        echo [FAILURE] bootmgr entry bootdebug NOT enabled ...
    )
    bcdedit /set {default} bootdebug on > nul
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 (
        echo [SUCCESS] default entry bootdebug enabled ...
    ) ELSE (
        echo [FAILURE] default entry bootdebug NOT enabled ...
    )
    bcdedit /set {bootmgr} debug on > nul
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 (
        echo [SUCCESS] bootmgr entry debug enabled ...
    ) ELSE (
        echo [FAILURE] bootmgr entry debug NOT enabled ...
    )
    bcdedit /set {default} debug on > nul
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 (
        echo [SUCCESS] default entry debug enabled ...
    ) ELSE (
        echo [FAILURE] default entry debug NOT enabled ...
    )
) ELSE (
    echo ----------------------------------------------------------------
    echo [INFO] no DEBUG argument passed, disabling all debugging entries
    echo ----------------------------------------------------------------
    bcdedit /set {bootmgr} bootdebug off > nul
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 (
        echo [SUCCESS] bootmgr entry bootdebug disabled ...
    ) ELSE (
        echo [FAILURE] bootmgr entry bootdebug NOT disabled ...
    )
    bcdedit /set {default} bootdebug off > nul
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 (
        echo [SUCCESS] default entry bootdebug disabled ...
    ) ELSE (
        echo [FAILURE] default entry bootdebug NOT disabled ...
    )
    bcdedit /set {bootmgr} debug off > nul
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 (
        echo [SUCCESS] bootmgr entry debug disabled ...
    ) ELSE (
        echo [FAILURE] bootmgr entry debug NOT disabled ...
    )
    bcdedit /set {default} debug off > nul
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 (
        echo [SUCCESS] default entry debug disabled ...
    ) ELSE (
        echo [FAILURE] default entry debug NOT disabled ...
    )
)

Edited by Synapsis
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, familygw said:

Well, that was my problem and I was able to solve it (disk utility > repair disk, also removed two NVRAM variables '' and '', then reset the NVRAM). I don't need to add custom entries on my config.plist, just let OC auto discover it.

Now everything runs like in the video. :thumbsup_anim:

hmmmm. Repair disk has nothing to do with SMBIOS model check by BCA. Placebo effect ?

How many drives do you have ?

Is Windows on the same drive as OC ?

Which two NVRAM variables did you remove ?

Custom Entry for Windows allows one to "name" the Windows on the boot picker instead of default "Windows" set by OC.

3 hours ago, MacNB said:

hmmmm. Repair disk has nothing to do with SMBIOS model check by BCA. Placebo effect ?

How many drives do you have ?

Is Windows on the same drive as OC ?

Which two NVRAM variables did you remove ?

Custom Entry for Windows allows one to "name" the Windows on the boot picker instead of default "Windows" set by OC.

The nvram variables was ‘FirmwareFeatures' and 'FirmwareFeaturesMask' 

I don’t know why I left those variables when configured my OC EFI :|. I decided to remove then after saw a Apple’s support article from a person with the same issue with his MacPro, the recommendation were to do scan & repair over the macos drive and restar & clear nvrams.

I have 4 disks, 3 SSD and one HDD (storage). Windows is in a separated disk.

23 hours ago, viorel said:

Sorry, but I do not have this motherboard, I can only say a few thoughts - if AWAC does not work
 then try SSDT-RTC0 from open core samples.
look for help from those who have similar
 hardware https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/334342-imac-pro-x99-live-the-future-now-with-macos-1014-mojave-successful-buildsuccessful-guide/

Thanks for all your help viorel. I finally managed to get everything running, all the files related to pm are loading properly and all acpi errors have disappeared. The only remaining issue is the dependence on pmdrvr.kext for full performance, without this kext I get a 30% drop in my benchmarks. The cpu (5820k) is overclocked and my system (x99-ud4) seems to perform at 3,3Ghz instead of the 4.3 overclock, at least my benchmark scores seem to indicate this. The ssdt generated with ssdtPRGen doesn't make a difference. How can I get my OS to read the overclock values, or what other trick can I try? How do other people do this who overclock their x99 systems? At least, if there are still some people running Haswell-E... Thanks!

Can somebody please explain to me how the ._contentDetails method of "renaming" EFI entries works? Where do you place each ._contentDetails file for different OSes (macOS, Windows and Linux)? Next to each .efi file OpenCore detects? Also what should the contents of a ._contentDetails file be? Just the custom name or what? Finally how does one "enable" the use of a ._contentDetails file?

Thanks! :)

Edited by Awesome Donkey