OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,805 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, MacNB said:

Thanks.

And how do we display <TOOL_NAME>.icns with PickerAttribute = 1 ?

E.g. I have created icons for ColdReset and Shutdown for the ResetSystem.efi tool but how do I display it ?

Yes, need full tool name.

ResetSystem.efi.icns

Edited by Andrey1970
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Indeed, we seem to have different results. With anything other than 15, and UIScale 2 I get different text sizes (also different labels, as you mentioned), which is probably a bug, but in the meantime, I prefer this. Also, I think with PickerAttributes 1 you don't get that white rim around the selection and no grey fill-in color for the arrow underneath. Could be wrong, or maybe it's only on my PC. But yeah, that's why, at least for now, I prefer setting it to 15. Seems to give me a more complete result overall.

IMG_0043.thumb.jpeg.211f546c283fff66330b296f65019b22.jpeg

My Windows partition is named "Windows" with PickerAttributes=1 (but also it's barely readable due to the very small text compared to the other drives) and "BOOTCAMP Windows" (with all text properly displayed) when set to 15. So...it's never "OtherOS" for me... That would be pretty inconvenient, indeed. :))

You have a 4k monitor and I'm only using a 1080p one so I do not see the issues you are seeing with PickerAttributes = 1 (I guess).

For the Windows partition (on a separate drive to OC), I added a specific Entry in the config file otherwise it does not boot.

Also, this way the name is what I want it to display (except with PickerAttributes = 15 where it displays "Other OS"):

430054214_Screenshot2020-05-12at17_52_10.png.8d639d8518c4a93bcb58c1619472f613.png

• Like 1

@Andrey1970 looks like I've got the Picker Attribute options totally wrong. My bad.

And now I see what you mean with the old style picker vs new style.

I still have a lot to learn. And looks like I'm learning something new every day. So...thank you! :) 

9 minutes ago, MacNB said:

You have a 4k monitor and I'm only using a 1080p one so I do not see the issues you are seeing with PickerAttributes = 1 (I guess).

For the Windows partition (on a separate drive to OC), I added a specific Entry in the config file otherwise it does not boot.

Also, this way the name is what I want it to display (except with PickerAttributes = 15 where it displays "Other OS"):

430054214_Screenshot2020-05-12at17_52_10.png.8d639d8518c4a93bcb58c1619472f613.png

Oh, I see. Yeah, it's all clear now.

Indeed, for higher res monitors, text scaling doesn't seem to work quite ok. But apparently switching to old style picker helps with that (at least until the issue gets fixed).

For example, if I use UIScale = 2 and PickerAttributes = 1 the icons look ok, but the text is really small. But I'm still experimenting with that.

IMG_0046.thumb.jpeg.dec74642e2cf59b73e389d2179064303.jpeg

6 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Oh, I see. Yeah, it's all clear now.

Indeed, for higher res monitors, text scaling doesn't seem to work quite ok. But apparently switching to old style picker helps with that (at least until the issue gets fixed).

For example, if I use UIScale = 2 and PickerAttributes = 1 the icons look ok, but the text is really small. But I'm still experimenting with that.

I'm sure the experts will figure out a fix.

Next we'll be asking for Vector graphics and the boot picker to support SVG :hysterical:

27 minutes ago, Andrey1970 said:

Yes, need full tool name.

ResetSystem.efi.icns

Thanks. Where do we place the ResetSystem.efi.icns file (which folder) ? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MacNB said:

Thanks. Where do we place the ResetSystem.efi.icns file (which folder) ? 

In Tools folder.

14 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Use v0.5.9 and update Resources 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrey1970 said:

In Tools folder.

Use v0.5.9 and update Resources 

Fixed with 0.5.9 and updated Resources. Thank you!

About 0.5.9, HideSelf seems to have some issues in this version. I get error: No schema for HideSelf at 3 index!.......0. Not sure what's with that 0 all the way over there. But I guess it's intended. :)

Untitled.thumb.png.f262078c8f38ce4e46ecd22260638277.png

Also, HideAuxiliary doesn't seem to hide Time Machine backups anymore.

Also, it seems a bit slower to boot (with Audio) than previous version. But could be something else. Initially I thought it could be cause I was booting from an USB drive. But testing it on an SSD showed the same result. So I don't think it's that.

But yeah, the text scaling issue seems to be fixed with this version. :) 

Edited by arsradu

1 hour ago, Andrey1970 said:

In Tools folder.

Thanks. Got it. It works. Configuration.pdf needs updating.

I duplicated ResetSystem.efi to ColdRestart.efi and named the corresponding icon as ColdRestart.efi.icns. Then,

I duplicated ResetSystem.efi to Shutdown.efi and named the corresponding icon as Shutdown.efi.icns.

Then set the corresponding entries in Tools in the config file with correct arguments and the tools work as expected.

I see this now:

IMG_1755.thumb.jpg.5f58e7910d6a6f915d5cf8e85eda72bf.jpg

I think I'll set Auxiliary = True to hide them now :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shhbz said:

yes, it did before with clover but I made some changes and forgot as what break it on clover too, as the only thing I see after it goes to sleep is that the wifi keep trying to connect and by the time nothing works apart from a hard reboot

Don't know what could be wrong.

Post your EFI folder.

1 hour ago, arsradu said:

About 0.5.9, HideSelf seems to have some issues in this version. I get error: No schema for HideSelf at 3 index!.......0. Not sure what's with that 0 all the way over there. But I guess it's intended. :)

HideSelf was removed, see change log before trying new versions, that's the base skill.

https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/commit/796765ca7cdf7189c1c6a842558ba8104cfc1035#diff-9b8fab691c00b9e5380b19ce882f3271

37 minutes ago, justin said:

HideSelf was removed, see change log before trying new versions, that's the base skill.

https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/commit/796765ca7cdf7189c1c6a842558ba8104cfc1035#diff-9b8fab691c00b9e5380b19ce882f3271

Yeah, when it's bundled like that with other changes, it's pretty easy to miss.

Anyway, thanks. I guess I'll just disable it in config then.

Update: HideAuxiliary issue for Time Machine fixed with latest commit.

Edited by arsradu

OpenCore 5.8 with Catalina 10.15.5 on the HP 800 G1 working with just one change from the guid, setting ReleaseUSBOwnership to true lets it boot, the bios does not have an option EHCI/XHCI hand off.

AppleALC.kext causes the system to not boot, probably need some DSDT patching but using VoodooHDA it boots fine. 

Edited by Donw35

So, I did some testing today with my envy HD4000 and x360 using OpenCore 0.5.8 and I think I found the differences between the 2 laptops: one with single, non hybrid and the HD4000 has hybrid + mSata hard drives. It seems the OpenCore can't access these 2 system hard drives.

envy_hybrid_m2.JPG

hd4400.png

18 hours ago, Pavo said:

You can take a look at my config.plist which allows for the use of -cpu host. https://github.com/Pavo-IM/Proxintosh/blob/master/OpenCore/config.plist

This seems an issue with msr reading, vit9696 pointed me to the right direction to fix it and a workaround should be available (the issue should not be within opencore but more likely with qemu).

May I ask what is the latest OVMF version officially supported by opencore? I wasn't able to find it, apart in a bugtracker post stating edk2-stable201905.

Is edk2-stable202002 supported officially?

Edited by ghost8282

I've been breaking my head against a wall over the last couple of days trying to get a fully working power management, which did work in clover but which I can only get to partially run on my setup (GA X99 UD4, 5820k, Vega 64). I've tried everything in terms of setting up the ssdt's compiling them (ssdt-ec/plug) with ssdtTime in windows and using pre-compiled versions from Dortania but none of them seem to make a difference. The only thing that seems to work is the AppleXcpmExtraMsrs setting enabled in quirks. Ioregistryexplorer tells me everything is loaded:

910509680_Screenshot2020-05-12at18_34_36.thumb.png.8e9fc9408d6fc5970b6990563ba58872.png

Hackintool tells me it's not: I/O MWAIT redirection and package c-state is not enabled.

609110577_Screenshot2020-05-12at18_32_45.thumb.png.2c0d9d33d4236a9bdd8660825a7afdd9.png

And the system log shows me there is an ACPI error which I've googled but can't seem to find an answer:

15194681_Screenshot2020-05-12at18_32_07.thumb.png.ae6eaba2bef3f30069ea3c38d0e95376.png

I've uploaded my files including my dsdt in case anyone feels inclined to take a look and send my into the right direction. Or maybe there is someone else out there running opencore on my motherboard and cpu that would like to share their working settings. I've gone over the instructions over and over and browsed dozens of pages on this as well as other forums to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

OC.zip

Thanks viorel but I get the same messages in the SSDT-EC I compiled with ssdtTime in windows (attached), it doesn't matter which one I use. Do you know what is causing the error, or what it is pointing to?

SSDT-EC.aml

Edited by olmirror

19 minutes ago, olmirror said:

Thanks viorel but I get the same messages in the SSDT-EC I compiled with ssdtTime in windows (attached), it doesn't matter which one I use. Do you know what is causing the error, or what it is pointing to?

SSDT-EC.aml

SSDT-EC and SSDT-PLUG compiled from OpenCore's repo

Archive.zip

1 hour ago, viorel said:

check ACPI Patch--Rename EC0 to EC, Rename LPC to LPCB 

Hi viorel, in the ssdt-EC that I have they are already named like that:

/*
 * Intel ACPI Component Architecture
 * AML/ASL+ Disassembler version 20180427 (64-bit version)(RM)
 * Copyright (c) 2000 - 2018 Intel Corporation
 * Disassembling to non-symbolic legacy ASL operators
 * Disassembly of iASLlRltqB.aml, Wed May 13 13:46:33 2020
 * Original Table Header:
 *     Signature        "SSDT"
 *     Length           0x0000007D (125)
 *     Revision         0x02
 *     Checksum         0xC0
 *     OEM ID           "ACDT"
 *     OEM Table ID     "SsdtEC"
 *     OEM Revision     0x00001000 (4096)
 *     Compiler ID      "INTL"
 *     Compiler Version 0x20180427 (538444839)
 */
DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "ACDT", "SsdtEC", 0x00001000)
{
    External (_SB_.PCI0.LPCB, DeviceObj)    // (from opcode)

Scope (\_SB.PCI0.LPCB)
    {
        Device (EC)
        {
            Name (_HID, "ACID0001")  // _HID: Hardware ID
            Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)  // _STA: Status
            {
                If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
                {
                    Return (0x0F)
                }
                Else
                {
                    Return (Zero)
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

5 hours ago, ghost8282 said:

This seems an issue with msr reading, vit9696 pointed me to the right direction to fix it and a workaround should be available (the issue should not be within opencore but more likely with qemu).

May I ask what is the latest OVMF version officially supported by opencore? I wasn't able to find it, apart in a bugtracker post stating edk2-stable201905.

Is edk2-stable202002 supported officially?

I am not aware of any official support from OVMF for OpenCore but the MSR issue can be resolved by this adding this https://github.com/Pavo-IM/Proxintosh/blob/master/etc/modprobe.d/kvm.conf

• Thanks 1