OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,805 posts in this topic

I finally got my Ivy Bridge Envy 4-1117nr working with OpenCore, now, I got a problem that none of the internal hard drives are showing on the desktop or even Disk Utility. I set the scan policy to 0 to be able to boot. If I used 0xF0103, nothing shows up at boot. Not understanding this Scan thing or am I setting something wrong?

Cheers,

Louis

nointernal_harddrives.png

5 hours ago, arsradu said:

Possible solution (could have been my mistake all along) to the fonts issue above: set PickerAttributes to 15 (0xF).

And here's the result. :) Beautiful!

IMG_0043.thumb.jpeg.dfa6c011678dcb6e258ca5cf76bbf0b0.jpeg

thank you

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ltooz_audis said:

I finally got my Ivy Bridge Envy 4-1117nr working with OpenCore, now, I got a problem that none of the internal hard drives are showing on the desktop or even Disk Utility. I set the scan policy to 0 to be able to boot. If I used 0xF0103, nothing shows up at boot. Not understanding this Scan thing or am I setting something wrong?

Cheers,

Louis

nointernal_harddrives.png

follow this guide 

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Desktop-Guide/config.plist/ivy-bridge.html

I have an LG 4K display (3840 x 2160). HiDPI set to 2 and OC uses 1024 x 768 regardless if it's set to Max or any other value. I set HiDPI to 1 and it uses full resolution.

But this has always been the case. However, 0.5.9 was updated to support HiDPI.

So why does OC do the reverse?

1083342644_ScreenShot2020-05-11at7_37_05PM.thumb.png.b6b7cff4553a02159f231a31d155572a.png

2 hours ago, ameenjuz said:

Yes, I did although it's for desktop. I can't boot to internal hard drive, I can boot to external USB hard drive fine. It's something missing that's not documented well. This is a laptop with both normal hard drive and ssd installed. Clover has no problems seeing and booting from them. I'm trying to see if I can get OC to work on laptops. I'm not new with Hackintosh. Yes it's a learning curve, but at least we should know what cause the OS  only see USB connected devices and NOT internal Hard drives. 
The only thing I see different between this laptop and other I could see the internal Hard drive is this one has hybrid hard drive and an M2 hard drive system. May be opencore can’t read/write on these drives.

Cheers,

Louis

Edited by ltooz_audis

8 hours ago, MacNB said:

Regarding the Audio folders, yes it would nice if OC programatically picked the correct Audio folder based on the Keyboard language already set in the config file.

That makes no sense because it's not necessarily in the config file. Should NVRAM be wiped, there is no clear default, and we cannot afford to play unrecognisable garbage to an user that actually needs VO

3 hours ago, Download-Fritz said:

That makes no sense because it's not necessarily in the config file. Should NVRAM be wiped, there is no clear default, and we cannot afford to play unrecognisable garbage to an user that actually needs VO

It was just a suggestion.

But since you mention a flaw in the suggestion...

Should the NVRAM be wiped, then the default would be the config file ?

What the purpose of the KB language variable in the config file if it not used (for other purposes) ?

Hi,

I'm running a Catalina vm in qemu in a non opensource os, slackware based, linux kernel 4.19, qemu 4.2.

I set up a Manjaro Architect os linux kernel 5.7, qemu 5.0, libvirt 5.10.0.

All is working quite good, including gpu passthrough, but it boots only with "-cpu Penryn".

I would like to boot qemu with "-cpu host" for different reasons, but I can't..the system boots fine with "-cpu host" on the non opensource os.

I don't know if this related to opencore bootloader itself, to config or other, because opencore freezes at "Wathdog status is 1" on screen and on "OCCPU: Detected Apple Processor Type: 00 -> 0903" in the log file.

I'm attaching 3 logs:

1- boot ok with Penryn cpu (Manjaro)

1-boot-ok-manjaro-penryn.txt

2- boot NOT ok with host-passthrough cpu (Manjaro)

2-boot-NOT-ok-manjaro-host-passthrough.txt

3- boot ok with host-passthrough cpu (non opensource os)

3-boot-ok-non-opensource-os-host-passthrough.txt

Thanks to anyone for suggestions.

Update: a friend suggested to look into ScanIntelProcessor

Edited by ghost8282

1 hour ago, MacNB said:

Should the NVRAM be wiped, then the default would be the config file ?

Language in config.plist is used for the first start, you can change language in system settings because language not added in NVRAM Block config.plist. It also influences on audio. If there are no files of audio for your language, English for audio will be used.

Edited by Andrey1970

20 hours ago, arsradu said:

Basically you're gonna need OpenCanopy.efi and the Resources folder. Min OC version: 0.5.7. PickerMode set to External.

More info here.

I also tried getting boot chime, but...while it did work, there were some delays booting because of that, so I disabled it for now. I might give it another try at a later time. But for now, I don't really mind it that much. I just wanted to see if I can get it to sound the chime. Which I did. So that was good enough for me. :) 

hi. i did according to the link  but miss boot device after rebooting.  

7 minutes ago, xtddd said:

hi. i did according to the link  but miss boot device after rebooting.  

That's strange. Do you see any other drive? Like Recovery or anything else. If it's hidden, press backspace to unhide.

If it helps, this is how I set up mine.

915920799_Screenshot2020-05-12at15_16_21.thumb.png.6b3315553cbe6599b938f82a5d0761ec.png

10 minutes ago, arsradu said:

That's strange. Do you see any other drive? Like Recovery or anything else. If it's hidden, press backspace to unhide.

If it helps, this is how I set up mine.

915920799_Screenshot2020-05-12at15_16_21.thumb.png.6b3315553cbe6599b938f82a5d0761ec.png

i will try again. i set like yours and still failed.

Edited by xtddd

17 minutes ago, xtddd said:

i will try again. i set like yours and still failed.

Could you take a photo of your Boot Picker screen? I'm curious which drives do you see? Also, if you set Picker to BuiltIn, do you see that drive? Cause, if I'm not mistake, OpenCanopy only offers a fancier (also very beautiful, in my opinion) interface to what the built-in picker sees. So...if it's not shown there, I don't see how it will be shown in OpenCanopy.

But this is all very new to me. So...I could be wrong. :)

Update: one other thing you could try is clear NVRAM. See if that makes any difference.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Could you take a photo of your Boot Picker screen? I'm curious which drives do you see? Also, if you set Picker to BuiltIn, do you see that drive? Cause, if I'm not mistake, OpenCanopy only offers a fancier (also very beautiful, in my opinion) interface to what the built-in picker sees. So...if it's not shown there, I don't see how it will be shown in OpenCanopy.

But this is all very new to me. So...I could be wrong. :)

Update: one other thing you could try is clear NVRAM. See if that makes any difference.

i cant see Boot Picker screen after rebooting....i will try to clear NVRAM but failed

Edited by xtddd

10 minutes ago, xtddd said:

i cant see Boot Picker screen after rebooting....i will try to clear NVRAM

If you can't see the picker at all... regardless whether it's BuiltIn or External, that's a whole another issue. :))

If you get an error or something, it would be nice to know. If you're dual-booting Clover and OC, clearing NVRAM is definitely recommended. My motherboard sometimes even locked me outside. I couldn't access the Boot Menu, couldn't even boot into BIOS. It would just stall...doing nothing.

I hope that's not what you're experiencing. But if it is, you can also try clearing your CMOS. And...try to avoid dual-booting Clover and OC, if you can. Since it can create issues like this.

Edited by arsradu

Just now, arsradu said:

If you can't see the picker at all... regardless whether it's BuiltIn or External, that's a whole another issue. :))

If you get an error or something, it would be nice to know. If you're dual-booting Clover and OC, Clear NVRAM is definitely recommended. My motherboard sometimes even locked me outside. I couldn't access the Boot Menu, couldn't even boot into BIOS. I hope that's not what you're experiencing. But if it is, you can also try clearing your CMOS. And...try to avoid dual-booting Clover and OC, if you can. Since it can create issues like these.

all works fine when its builtin..but cant see boot screen after setting gui.

33 minutes ago, Andrey1970 said:

Language in config.plist is used for the first start, you can change language in system settings because language not added in NVRAM Block config.plist. It also influences on audio. If there are no files of audio for your language, English for audio will be used.

Thank you.

So my suggestion was not that badly flawed. It's almost implemented now.

All I was suggesting was to structure the Resources Audio folder with sub-folders for each language.E.g.:

OC/Resources/Audio/Audio_ar

OC/Resources/Audio/Audio_ca

etc

etc

Like so:

1240754795_Screenshot2020-05-12at13_46_50.thumb.png.7f7043fc8e13e15a48a6f4ecfc2cc811.png

So instead of searching Audio folder like it does now, Audio Picker searches Audio_xx folder where xx is the language.

Like I said, it was suggestion as a User of OC from a Users perspective.

You thank me for the suggestion and ignore it but please don't just rubbish it as flawed. 

Thanks.

Just now, xtddd said:

Hmm...make sure all the files come from the same place and same version of OpenCore. Meaning, try not to outsource files from different places.

Also, which OC version are you using? If you're using 0.5.8, OpenCanopy.efi, OpenRuntime.efi and of course OpenCore.efi and BOOTx64.efi should all be from May 4th.

2 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Hmm...make sure all the files come from the same place and same version of OpenCore. Meaning, try not to outsource files from different places.

Also, which OC version are you using? If you're using 0.5.8, OpenCanopy.efi, OpenRuntime.efi and of course OpenCore.efi and BOOTx64.efi should all be from May 4th.

bootstrap.efi should be need?

6 minutes ago, xtddd said:

What do you mean when you say "can't see boot screen after setting gui" ?

Do you mean to see the OpenCanopy boot picker but you do not see anything after selecting a boot drive ?

5 minutes ago, MacNB said:

What do you mean when you say "can't see boot screen after setting gui" ?

Do you mean to see the OpenCanopy boot picker but you do not see anything after selecting a boot drive ?

what i mean is i cant see OpenCanopy boot picker after i add resources file and set config.plist. 

Edited by xtddd

@xtddd Where did you place your Resources folder? Maybe it's not an issue with OpenCanopy itself. Maybe it just can't reach the resources folder for some reason.

Also, make sure you also added OpenCanopy.efi to config.

I sometimes forget to update the config. :D Common mistake, I guess. So...just double checking.

1404663391_Screenshot2020-05-12at16_19_01.thumb.png.8db6f0b94fcaf02ac5af9df3c6d751e5.png

Edited by arsradu