OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,805 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, shhbz said:

yes indeed I tried to use that but whenever I try patch add the plist as mentioned here https://github.com/dortania/USB-Map-Guide/blob/master/extra-files/FixShutdown-Patch.plist whenever I try to enter the find field it leads to and error I am not sure what I am doing wrong here.

<key>Find</key>
  <data>X1BUUw==</data>

error.png

For the FIND field you need to enter HEX: 5F505453

For the REPLACE field you need to enter HEX: 5A505453

What plist editor are you using ?

If you use PlistEdit Pro, you can VIEW the field as ASCII and enter _PTS and ZPTS instead of Base64 or Hex ;)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, shhbz said:

@hardcorehenry yes indeed I tried to use that add FixShutdown-USB-SSDT.aml to ACPI open plist using proper tree master take a oc snapshot but whenever I try patch add the plist as mentioned here https://github.com/dortania/USB-Map-Guide/blob/master/extra-files/FixShutdown-Patch.plist whenever I try to enter the find field it leads to and error I am not sure what I am doing wrong here.

<key>Find</key>
  <data>X1BUUw==</data>

error.png

ad.png.81628fa054e829223c53326db55cbf5e.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, vit9696 said:

@arsradu I have UIScale set to 2, so 4K is not a problem for me. For me the password input field disappears when I press enter. Afterwards I see the background with my user account logo and a progress bar till the second stage. At the second stage I see black screen with an Apple logo, which then transitions to desktop.

Thank you, vit9696!

I could not figure out why there is no Apple logo (like you have) for the second stage... Until then, everything is the same: login screen with transparent background, you input the password, it stays on that screen for a few seconds, then switches to black screen with only the loading bar (as you saw), aaand then Desktop.

I've also tried with Clover (I know, this is not the right thread for Clover, but it's just for comparison) and I've got the exact same result. Also, I tried patching AGDP separately and booting without WEG, but also the same result. Slightly different, in the sense that, the second boot stage appears really late, and there's not much left of that loading bar to display, but the same in the sense that there's still no Apple logo for this case.

So that eliminates OC itself, WEG, and also resolution, from the list of possible suspects. Since it also occurs with Clover, with or without WEG, aaand the resolution doesn't seem to have any effect whatsoever. So I'm back to square 1... I still don't know what causes it. :)) Especially since normal boots are not showing this behaviour.

Also, now that you mentioned UIScale, I tried to set mine to 2, aaand while it's a lot easier to read, I wanted to ask you if having different text sizes for Recovery partitions and apparently Windows partitions, too, is intended.

Cause it looks like the scaling is ignored for these partitions, for some reason. The icons are scaled, but the text labels underneath are not. Could be an issue with OpenCanopy, ooor...something I've missed in the config. So, if you have some time, I'd like to know your opinion on this, as well.

Also, something else I've noticed, and it could be a bug...is that CTRL + Enter to set a drive by default (yes, AllowSetDefault is enabled in Misc -> Security) doesn't seem to do anything.

Setting it from Startup Disk in the OS works perfectly fine though.

IMG_0037.thumb.jpeg.2c661d5fea122d1ee2e815d54fca2d7a.jpeg

IMG_0038.thumb.jpeg.0c1c420af3ba0a3990286bb95421a0ce.jpeg

Here is another issue I was hoping someone could help me out with: I can't get my sata hotplug to work. The patch that works for me in clover, in Mojave as well as Catalina, won't enable hotplug in opencore: com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort find: 40600200 / replace: 00000000

I also tried fix hotplug ICH10, 6-Serie, 7-Serie for X99, credit SunKi: find: 89C82540 6002003D 40200000 750C81E1 BF7FFFFF 898B5101 0000 / replace: 90909090 90909090 90909090 90909090 90909090 90909090 9090. This also doesn't work.

Any help in the right direction would be appreciated as it's a function I need for my work.

GA X99 UD4, 5820k, Vega 64.

OC.zip

Edited by olmirror

13 minutes ago, olmirror said:

Here is another issue I was hoping someone could help me out with: I can't get my sata hotplug to work. The patch that works for me in clover, in Mojave as well as Catalina, won't enable hotplug in opencore: com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort find: 40600200 / replace: 00000000

I also tried fix hotplug ICH10, 6-Serie, 7-Serie for X99, credit SunKi: find: 89C82540 6002003D 40200000 750C81E1 BF7FFFFF 898B5101 0000 / replace: 90909090 90909090 90909090 90909090 90909090 90909090 9090. This also doesn't work.

Any help in the right direction would be appreciated as it's a function I need for my work.

GA X99 UD4, 5820k, Vega 64.

OC.zip

This is how mine works in this example.

Screenshot 2020-05-11 at 15.13.58.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, topolino1 said:

@hardcorehenry & @MacNB thanks for the information.

Do you think it needs rename (find & repleace) + FixShutdown-USB-SSDT.aml (also added to ACPI> Add in config.plist)? Only sometimes the computer restarts after shutting down.

Thank you:)

Without rename this SSDT won’t load. Check log with Hackintool>logs>System if it applied correctly.

zpts.png.f592e52697583ac7d6631bfa6cde630e.png

Fix_Shutdown.zip

Edited by hardcorehenry
  • Like 2

TLDR: TROUBLE with freezing in macOS login screen?  Got a AMD Radeon Rx Vega? Tried everything?

ACHTUNG To save you and others users from wasting time and effort (I wasted 3 days and was very angry about that)

If your GPU is one AMD RADEON RX VEGA 56/64 GPU, either in combination with iGPU or not:

MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT: NATIVE ASPM is DISABLED in your Bios.

I have totally forgotten to disable it, and after 3 days of fiddling with all magic things - I restored

my bios to defaults and ... MAGIC! All things work out of the box with simple config in OC!

Takeout for others: follow proper installation procedures 

I tried 23423 combinations of agdpmod -igfx and other fixes, yet it was so easy ... I almost cried after discovering that :-)

All chooppiness, freezing and other stuff might be traced to ASPM.

@vit9696 thanks to forcing me to refresh my c/asm knowhow after 20 years of break

Personal note:Those who WROTE UEFI/ACPI specification and thing its good should be jailed.

Edited by Synapsis

2 hours ago, arsradu said:

Thank you, vit9696!

I could not figure out why there is no Apple logo (like you have) for the second stage... Until then, everything is the same: login screen with transparent background, you input the password, it stays on that screen for a few seconds, then switches to black screen with only the loading bar (as you saw), aaand then Desktop.

I've also tried with Clover (I know, this is not the right thread for Clover, but it's just for comparison) and I've got the exact same result. Also, I tried patching AGDP separately and booting without WEG, but also the same result. Slightly different, in the sense that, the second boot stage appears really late, and there's not much left of that loading bar to display, but the same in the sense that there's still no Apple logo for this case.

So that eliminates OC itself, WEG, and also resolution, from the list of possible suspects. Since it also occurs with Clover, with or without WEG, aaand the resolution doesn't seem to have any effect whatsoever. So I'm back to square 1... I still don't know what causes it. :)) Especially since normal boots are not showing this behaviour.

Also, now that you mentioned UIScale, I tried to set mine to 2, aaand while it's a lot easier to read, I wanted to ask you if having different text sizes for Recovery partitions and apparently Windows partitions, too, is intended.

Cause it looks like the scaling is ignored for these partitions, for some reason. The icons are scaled, but the text labels underneath are not. Could be an issue with OpenCanopy, ooor...something I've missed in the config. So, if you have some time, I'd like to know your opinion on this, as well.

Also, something else I've noticed, and it could be a bug...is that CTRL + Enter to set a drive by default (yes, AllowSetDefault is enabled in Misc -> Security) doesn't seem to do anything.

Setting it from Startup Disk in the OS works perfectly fine though.

IMG_0037.thumb.jpeg.2c661d5fea122d1ee2e815d54fca2d7a.jpeg

IMG_0038.thumb.jpeg.0c1c420af3ba0a3990286bb95421a0ce.jpeg

how to set the OC GUI like this? thank you

23 minutes ago, xtddd said:

how to set the OC GUI like this? thank you

Basically you're gonna need OpenCanopy.efi and the Resources folder. Min OC version: 0.5.7. PickerMode set to External.

More info here.

I also tried getting boot chime, but...while it did work, there were some delays booting because of that, so I disabled it for now. I might give it another try at a later time. But for now, I don't really mind it that much. I just wanted to see if I can get it to sound the chime. Which I did. So that was good enough for me. :) 

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Basically you're gonna need OpenCanopy.efi and the Resources folder. Min OC version: 0.5.7. PickerMode set to External.

More info here.

I also tried getting boot chime, but...while it did work, there were some delays booting because of that, so I disabled it for now. I might give it another try at a later time. But for now, I don't really mind it that much. I just wanted to see if I can get it to sound the chime. Which I did. So that was good enough for me. :) 

Yes OpenCanopy works well even though it's early days.

You can set custom Drive icons in macOS and it shows up in the boot picker:

IMG_1712.thumb.jpg.3d40a7a93874149967a68973d30a234d.jpg

Icons file names should be .VolumeIcon.icns

For HFS+ drives, they should be placed in the root of the drive.

For APFS drives, they should be placed in the preboot partition. 

For Windows drives, they should be placed int he EFI partition where the Microsoft boot manager is placed.

Until released 0.5.8 I had an issue with boot time playback. It would play 2 to 3 times back-to-back...like a bad mix and would delay the booting.

But now with 0.5.8 release version, it plays perfect and no delay in boot. In fact, the apple logo seems appears just slightly before it's finished playing the chime.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, hardcorehenry said:

ad.png.81628fa054e829223c53326db55cbf5e.png

finally on the verge to solve all issue https://github.com/dortania/USB-Map-Guide/blob/master/extra-files/GPRW-Patch.plist in this patch as find value shows R1BSVwI= and putting it Hackintool gives me 10 digit value should I put the same 10 digit or 8 leaving the last 2 digit ref:attached image

as for. me 2 prob remains which is mentioned in this fix here https://dortania.github.io/USB-Map-Guide/misc/instant-wake.html

Instant wake on Sleep and monitor not turning on after sleep seems wifi causing the issue as it hangs to turn back on

Screenshot 2020-05-11 at 10.16.27 PM.png

I wonder if the Devs of Opencore knows we now have a hybrid of Clover/Opencore - Dual Booting definitely gone a step too far judging from the post above :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MacNB said:

Until released 0.5.8 I had an issue with boot time playback. It would play 2 to 3 times back-to-back...like a bad mix and would delay the booting.

But now with 0.5.8 release version, it plays perfect and no delay in boot. In fact, the apple logo seems appears just slightly before it's finished playing the chime.

Following your post, I thought I'd give boot chime another try. And yeah, it's ok now. :) Also, Volume 70 was still waaay too loud for me. :)) So I set it to 20. :D Much better now.

Quick tip: if you want to decrease the size of that Resources folder, you can go through the audio files (seems those take the most amount of space), and remove the ones you don't need. For example I removed all the audio files for languages I know I'll never use. And only kept most of the ones for Europe. The difference was really visible. From 96MB to 55MB. And I could have removed more of it.

Actually, if you only want the boot chime, you only need one file: OCEFIAudio_VoiceOver_Boot.wav. But since I'm still testing stuff with OC, I thought I'd keep some of the other files, too. But removed the languages I know I'll never need.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, hardcorehenry said:

Most probably good idea, not to {censored} devs, post removed.

Yea ok probably right but I have to admit for me it was the laugh of the day and not wanting to be callous but it was something I needed because of this dreaded lockdown situation :)

18 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Following your post, I thought I'd give boot chime another try. And yeah, it is better now. :) There's still a liiiitle bit of delay showing the picker. But it's ok. Also, Volume 70 was still waaay too loud for me. :)) So I set it to 20. :D Much better now.

Quick tip: if you want to decrease the size of that Resources folder, you can go through the audio files (seems those take the most amount of space), and remove the ones you don't need. For example I removed all the audio files for languages I know I'll never use. And only kept most of the ones for Europe. The difference was really visible. From 96MB to 55MB. And I could have removed more of it.

Actually, if you only want the boot chime, you only need one file: OCEFIAudio_VoiceOver_Boot.wav. But since I'm still testing stuff with OC, I thought I'd keep some of the other files, too. But removed the languages I know I'll never need.

yeh I do the same. I just kept the En audio files. 

It would be nice if the GitHub repository for the Resources folder were packaged in the folders by language so it was easy to delete unwanted languages.

In fact (as my eye sight is ok at the moment) when I updated to 0.5.8, only kept the chime file...which I replaced with my own...for fun

OCEFIAudio_VoiceOver_Boot.wav

• Haha 1

Building a retro box for all my older OS needs... Opencore Legacy (mobo has no UEFI) - How would it cope with booting Windows 98, 2000, XP and 7 on one HDD (another HDD will cover flavours of OSX from 10.6 upward) ??

Hi! Been through almost all OC 0.5.x releases and I can say that the progress is astonishing, well done and thank you for the great effort all the development team is putting on this.

Although my build is shiny gold, the only thing that still grinds my gears is that the hot keys are not always recognised on boot when I have showpicker set to NO.

It is actually very inconsistent and out of 10 times it works only once if any.

I have tried spamming Alt / Opt, spamming Esc, holding Alt / Opt, holding Esc. I’ve also tried increasing TakeOffDelay up to 100.000 with no better result.

I have also tried using the keyboard driver  and KeySupport NO but although it DOES work, it has a weird effect of lagging the Boot Picker.

(PS I have tried all these using Apple USB keyboard with numpad and also the Magic Keyboard, experiencing the exact same results)

24 minutes ago, MacNB said:

yeh I do the same. I just kept the En audio files. 

It would be nice if the GitHub repository for the Resources folder were packaged in the folders by language so it was easy to delete unwanted languages.

In fact (as my eye sight is ok at the moment) when I updated to 0.5.8, only kept the chime file...which I replaced with my own...for fun

OCEFIAudio_VoiceOver_Boot.wav

That sound would be really funny if you were using let's say...Ryzen. :))

About folders, I thought the same thing today when trying to filter those files with the same language. :)) Now, although putting them in their corresponding folders would make the Audio folder a lot more organised, there might be some other changes that need to be made...so it can read that new folder structure... So...while I think that's a good idea, I'm not sure anyone is gonna do it, since it probably requires changes on multiple levels. I could be wrong though... So...I guess we'll see. :))

2 hours ago, arsradu said:

That sound would be really funny if you were using let's say...Ryzen. :))

About folders, I thought the same thing today when trying to filter those files with the same language. :)) Now, although putting them in their corresponding folders would make the Audio folder a lot more organised, there might be some other changes that need to be made...so it can read that new folder structure... So...while I think that's a good idea, I'm not sure anyone is gonna do it, since it probably requires changes on multiple levels. I could be wrong though... So...I guess we'll see. :))

Yeh on Ryzen that chime would be funny...may be next year when Apple bring out a Ryzen Pro machine B)

Regarding the Audio folders, yes it would nice if OC programatically picked the correct Audio folder based on the Keyboard language already set in the config file. But I guess you are right - no one is gonna do it as there are probably other higher priorities.

In the meantime the Devs could simply package up the OcBinaryData/Resources/Audio folder into separate language folders. Then it's up to the User to delete the unwanted Audio folders.