OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,805 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Hi guys,

I'm currently running OC 0.5.8 (all good) and I just decided to test the FileVault functionality of it.

Now, everything went fine, everything works fine. One thing I just wanted to confirm, since that was a bit odd, is the fact that there is no Apple logo above the loading bar on the second stage boot (after logging in).

Is that intended? Did I miss something in the setup?

As you can imagine, that's obviously not a huge issue. I only wanted to confirm if this is intended or not, cause it doesn't occur with normal boots.

Also, sorry if it's been discussed before. The search functionality of the forum is broken, as you probably know.

On my real MacBook Pro (with FileVault) I do not see the Apple logo above the loading bar after logging in.

I just see my photo and user name above the loading bar.

What you see seems normal - at least on a real Mac

1 hour ago, MacNB said:

On my real MacBook Pro (with FileVault) I do not see the Apple logo above the loading bar after logging in.

I just see my photo and user name above the loading bar.

What you see seems normal - at least on a real Mac

Yeah, that sounds about right. And I also own a MBP. I just don't have FV enabled on that one.

But...with OC, it doesn't stay in the transparent screen with the profile photo and loading bar underneath... It switches to a black screen with only the loading bar underneath. So...no Apple logo (and now that you mentioned it, it sounds like there probably shouldn't be an Apple logo for this case), but also no profile picture, and the screen switches from transparent (with the wallpaper underneath) to completely black.

I'll make a video to better illustrate this.

Edited by arsradu

37 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Yeah, that sounds about right. And I also own a MBP. I just don't have FV enabled on that one.

But...with OC, it doesn't stay in the transparent screen with the profile photo and loading bar underneath... It switches to a black screen with only the loading bar underneath. So...no Apple logo (and now that you mentioned it, it sounds like there probably shouldn't be an Apple logo for this case), but also no profile picture, and the screen switches from transparent (with the wallpaper underneath) to completely black.

I'll make a video to better illustrate this.

Edit: + video here.

Ah Ok. I see what you mean.

Seems like 2nd stage initialising the GPU acceleration does not know what was previously displayed.

I think it's the same issue as without FileVault that has always been there since the early days of Hackintosh.

That is, the Apple logo is displayed with loading bar, then the 2nd stage kicks in and there's a brief black screen then the logo with the remaining loading bar.

9 minutes ago, MacNB said:

Ah Ok. I see what you mean.

Seems like 2nd stage initialising the GPU acceleration does not know what was previously displayed.

I think it's the same issue as without FileVault that has always been there since the early days of Hackintosh.

That is, the Apple logo is displayed with loading bar, then the 2nd stage kicks in and there's a brief black screen then the logo with the remaining loading bar.

Yeah, except this only occurs with FV. Everything fine for regular boots. Second stage comes with both the Apple logo and the loading bar. 

And I don't mind the black gap. That was there since the beginning, and that's fine. But as you can see, there are two other things that happen on the hackintosh compared to a real mac:

1. the background switches to black

2. the user photo and all that are gone. Only the loading bar is displayed.

Edited by arsradu

For HFS+ they were in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.corestorage. You just delete them and it gets updated within 5 mins or so.

For APFS I think you need to execute diskutil apfs updatePreboot /

If the latter works for you, I guess I can add this to docs.

16 minutes ago, vit9696 said:

For HFS+ they were in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.corestorage. You just delete them and it gets updated within 5 mins or so.

For APFS I think you need to execute diskutil apfs updatePreboot /

If the latter works for you, I guess I can add this to docs.

I'm currently on MacOS 10.15.5 (19F83c), using APFS. With OC's built-in APFS feature (no ApfsDriverLoader). And I tried with and without OpenCanopy (just in case), but that didn't seem to make any difference either.

Tried the command you mentioned above to update Preboot, it did something...but no change to the actual issue.

Edited by arsradu

20 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Hi Vit9696!

You can see a video here. And I just tried with DirectGopRendering enabled (it was disabled before), but no change.

hi did you consider putting -v in your boot to see what exactly succeed and what did and for how much

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

@arsradu that's quite strange, unsure I can suggest anything more here, but the problem is definitely in your firmware/fv2 ui. I have a board of a similar generation (ASUS Z87) and for FV2 I actually need to delay the boot process (with ExitBootServicesDelay quirk). Maybe you need that too?

59 minutes ago, vit9696 said:

@arsradu that's quite strange, unsure I can suggest anything more here, but the problem is definitely in your firmware/fv2 ui. I have a board of a similar generation (ASUS Z87) and for FV2 I actually need to delay the boot process (with ExitBootServicesDelay quirk). Maybe you need that too?

Yeah, I saw the mention when setting up FV2. I thought I didn't need to set anything (so I left that to 0) since it was a different motherboard (similar generation, but still different). But now that you mentioned it, I did try values 3000 and 5000 just in case... No difference.

By the way, awesome job guys, with documenting everything in the pdfs and also making those tutorials on Dortania. They are incredibly useful! When upgrading OC, I'm also upgrading Docs. And keeping them in the EFI folder, just to have them always at hand. :D 

Anyway. So, on your system, what happens exactly? Do you have the transparent screen all the way to the Desktop (like on the real Macs)...? Or...? Switches off for a second (that black gap I was talking about before), then back to transparent? To be honest, I don't even know what should I expect in this case? :)) Cause I don't know what can and can't be done.

Also, I was thinking maybe the resolution could have something to do with it...? Since I've got a 4K monitor, but the resolution in the OS is set to about 2K (since the text is waaaay too small in full 4K to be able to actually read anything). But I tried switching it to 4K, too...and no change.

Also, OC's resolution is set to Max. Maybe we need to match that in the OS...? I don't think so, but...I don't know. What do you think? Is there any point digging further into this scenario?

Also, something else that crossed my mind (which is probably stupid, but I'm putting it out there, in case there could be something to it), since I'm using an RX 580 with WhateverGreen, could this be something that WEG could help with....? Or maybe something that needs to be updated over there?

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

My laptop has a ECDV device with AppleACPIEC attached to it.

Is it better to just rename ECDV to EC , or to use SSDT-EC.aml?

This is what I get with the aml :    https://mega.nz/file/DZJWjISL#fCWyNTiU8YwfoLh4K6YaW2IHnz40IV6oe5lt6RKSm0g

Y.G. Sorry about the link , there is a problem when trying to upload files here. If an administrator reads this please fix it.

2 minutes ago, matgeo said:

My laptop has a ECDV device with AppleACPIEC attached to it.

Is it better to just rename ECDV to EC , or to use SSDT-EC.aml?

This is what I get with the aml :    https://mega.nz/file/DZJWjISL#fCWyNTiU8YwfoLh4K6YaW2IHnz40IV6oe5lt6RKSm0g

Y.G. Sorry about the link , there is a problem when trying to upload files here. If an administrator reads this please fix it.

For laptop only rename.

11 hours ago, Andrey1970 said:

I see you use Bootstrap.

Check the native bootmgfw.efi that there were no changes.
Check that the Bootstrap.efi file the newest.
Check in Bios boot priority, there shall be OpenCore. (It will be added automatically after OpenCore first start.)

Remove BlessOverride.

Return back native BOOTx64.efi from Windows.

Use last v0.5.9

Why you added NTFS.efi? It not required.

i have native bootmgfw.efi

latest bootstrap.efi

Bois boot priority is OpenCore It will be added automatically after OpenCore first start

Remove BlessOverride occure disappear windows partition from Boot menu

removed ntfs.efi

No luck same behavoir windows boot occure with blue screen after resetNvram 

is there another way to fix this?

Remember  my windows boot with bootmgfw.efi not to boot with windows original BOOTx64.efi

Supported 0.5.8 on dortania:
FixShutdown

Even same here but when applying the patch on the config.plist patch section the find & replace section comes up with an error stating about some value not right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supported 0.5.8 on dortania:
FixShutdown

Even same here but when applying the patch on the config.plist patch section the find & replace section comes up with an error stating about some value not right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@arsradu I have UIScale set to 2, so 4K is not a problem for me. For me the password input field disappears when I press enter. Afterwards I see the background with my user account logo and a progress bar till the second stage. At the second stage I see black screen with an Apple logo, which then transitions to desktop.

6 hours ago, topolino1 said:

@Matgen84 thanks for the information.

@shhbz is it better to use FixShutdown-USB-SSDT.aml?

You have to use both: rename(find & repleace) + FixShutdown-USB-SSDT.aml(also added to ACPI>Add in config.plist)

Edited by hardcorehenry
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, topolino1 said:

@Matgen84 thanks for the information.

@shhbz is it better to use FixShutdown-USB-SSDT.aml?

@hardcorehenry yes indeed I tried to use that add FixShutdown-USB-SSDT.aml to ACPI open plist using proper tree master take a oc snapshot but whenever I try patch add the plist as mentioned here https://github.com/dortania/USB-Map-Guide/blob/master/extra-files/FixShutdown-Patch.plist whenever I try to enter the find field it leads to and error I am not sure what I am doing wrong here.

<key>Find</key>
  <data>X1BUUw==</data>

error.png

Edited by shhbz