OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,805 posts in this topic

I am testing both forks of OC and this is the Patch I am using for HotPlug/Swop and on each version it works on my Z390.

Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 15.17.19.png

The same patch that worked in Mojave also works in Catalina.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kiu777 said:

Okay, added this patch but got boot error "No schema for MatchKernel at 8 index"

And (maybe therefore) it did not work :-(

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-04 um 16.17.37.png

The error message is clear: simply remove MatchKernel entry. Take a look in sample.plist, match kernel doesn't exist for OC (If I remember well). Put external icons to true. 

Edited by Matgen84

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to update to 0.5.8 but my BIOS keeps going back to the boot selector rather than opencore itself. It worked absolutely fine with the 0.5.7 but can't understand why it isn't working now with 0.5.8 (works fine booting with the 0.5.7 backup). 

I have changed the config accordingly but I can't actually understand the reason as it doesn't give any error code or message: Gigabyte logo and then BIOS settings, straight.

I'll links my EFI, maybe someone could help me! Please!

OC.zip

22 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

The error message is clear: simply remove MatchKernel entry. Take a look in sample.plist, match kernel doesn't exist for OC (If I remember well). Put external icons to true. 

True. I did that. But it does not help.
I even tried an other "external icons patch" which I adopted from my former Clover config.plist:

1709439980_Bildschirmfoto2020-05-04um16_55_55.png.6b75dc9a7491073396dec59adf33080c.png

I think this patches can't help since it is not just a question of setting the right icons.
The problem is that my external SSD which I use as an external clone of my Mac OS boot drive is recognized as internal disk
despite being connected via USB3. If I then throw this clone out the hidden system volume is still mounted and I get the

typical error messages from Mac OS that I disconnected a drive without proper dismounting.
So I suspect that something is wrong with my config.plist because others seem to have not this problem.

Therefore I attach my stripped config.plist for my Gigabyte Z370 board again. Maybe someone can see what is hidden to my eyes ;-)
config.plist

15 minutes ago, bexem said:

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to update to 0.5.8 but my BIOS keeps going back to the boot selector rather than opencore itself. It worked absolutely fine with the 0.5.7 but can't understand why it isn't working now with 0.5.8 (works fine booting with the 0.5.7 backup). 

I have changed the config accordingly but I can't actually understand the reason as it doesn't give any error code or message: Gigabyte logo and then BIOS settings, straight.

I'll links my EFI, maybe someone could help me! Please!

OC.zip

Having a quick look at your upload:
You did not change anything matching your concrete system but you should.
For instance you are loading every .aml file and every .efi file and nearly every kext you found.
Have a look at the manual: OpenCore-Desktop-Guide and read it.
You even can analyse the config.plists of other people.

And important: fill out your signature so that others can see what kind of system you use.

9 minutes ago, kiu777 said:

True. I did that. But it does not help.
I even tried an other "external icons patch" which I adopted from my former Clover config.plist:

1709439980_Bildschirmfoto2020-05-04um16_55_55.png.6b75dc9a7491073396dec59adf33080c.png

I think this patches can't help since it is not just a question of setting the right icons.
The problem is that my external SSD which I use as an external clone of my Mac OS boot drive is recognized as internal disk
despite being connected via USB3. If I then throw this clone out the hidden system volume is still mounted and I get the

typical error messages from Mac OS that I disconnected a drive without proper dismounting.
So I suspect that something is wrong with my config.plist because others seem to have not this problem.

Therefore I attach my stripped config.plist for my Gigabyte Z370 board again. Maybe someone can see what is hidden to my eyes ;-)
config.plist

I see nothing special in your config.plist. Have you tried HFSPlus.efi instead of VBoxHFS.

1 hour ago, kiu777 said:

Having a quick look at your upload:
You did not change anything matching your concrete system but you should.
For instance you are loading every .aml file and every .efi file and nearly every kext you found.
Have a look at the manual: OpenCore-Desktop-Guide and read it.
You even can analyse the config.plists of other people.

And important: fill out your signature so that others can see what kind of system you use.

Fair enough, I will try and clean it, I understand that and thank you for pointing it out. But it must be said, I had no issues with the previous release (this doesn't mean I'm not going to skim it). I'm just trying to figure that out. 

PS: I'll do my signature right away!

EDIT: Sorted out, cleaned it up and re-downloaded, now it works! Thank you anyway! Stay safe!

Edited by bexem
Fixed!

@ kiu777 - I've done some corrections to the Patch and removed some unnecessary entries and it is clean as possible (See Pic). This Patch allows me to hot swop disks on the fly as I have a case with an X-DOCK feature which I use to load programs from external disks and do backups also disks shows as external (Orange Icon).

Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 16.19.19.png

• Like 1

To be honest I looked at that entry when compiling the config.plist but working so long with Clover, I suffer badly with CLOVERISM and overlooked it :hysterical:

• Haha 1

Hi,

I've just upgraded to OC 0.5.8. I'm on macOS 10.15.4 on a Asus Prime Z390-A. Over time I've collected some stuff in my config related to RTC patching, which is needed as otherwise I have that F1 POST / Safe mode {censored}. I might have some stuff in my config that may not be needed anymore. I'd like to get some support to get confirmed what is still needed and want I can remove by now.

My config contains the following

Kernel --> Quirks --> DisableRtcChecksum set to TRUE (added in update to OC 0.5.8)

UEFI --> ProtocolOverrides --> AppleRtcRam set to TRUE  (added in update to OC 0.5.8)

NVRAM --> Add --> 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 --> wake-failure set to 5 bytes 0 (added after 10.15.4: https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/765)

ACPI --> Add --> SSDT-AWAC.aml (per vanilla desktop guide)

ACPI --> Patch as follows: (I believe this was generated by SSDTTime)

image.png.41848984988631f504ef31ce8e371f7d.png

And Kernel --> Add --> Patch the following 2: (found these in here... somewhere)

image.thumb.png.036b6714096d572f04393944637af473.png

Is there something I can get rid of??

Thank you so much!

Sander

Edited by Sander Spilleman

1 hour ago, bexem said:

Fair enough, I will try and clean it, I understand that and thank you for pointing it out. But it must be said, I had no issues with the previous release (this doesn't mean I'm not going to skim it). I'm just trying to figure that out. 

PS: I'll do my signature right away!

EDIT: Sorted out, cleaned it up and re-downloaded, now it works! Thank you anyway! Stay safe!

cool!

1 hour ago, eSaF said:

@ kiu777 - I've done some corrections to the Patch and removed some unnecessary entries and it is clean as possible (See Pic). This Patch allows me to hot swop disks on the fly as I have a case with an X-DOCK feature which I use to load programs from external disks and do backups also disks shows as external (Orange Icon).

Tried even your stripped version of the patch. And it did not work either. Not really astonishing for me because it is not so different from the version I tried before.
I suspect that there must be another problem in my configuration.
Nevertheless thank you for your effort!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kiu777 said:

Tried even your stripped version of the patch. And it did not work either. Not really astonishing for me because it is not so different from the version I tried before.
I suspect that there must be another problem in my configuration.
Nevertheless thank you for your effort!

Here is my config.plist minus personal details if you want to make a comparison.

config.plist.zip

On 5/2/2020 at 4:12 AM, MacNB said:

Those patches will not work because you have not specified in the Identifier field which binary this patch applies to (e.g. driver, kernel, etc).

You have to look at your Clover patches (which you did not post here) and use them as the basis for OC patch

Besides, if you use Whatevergreen kext, those patches you are trying should not be necessary.

If you want timeout on the boot picker to work, you have to build the latest version of OC 0.5.8.

If you do, be warned that the certain fields on the Config files have changed to reflect the changes in the OC features.

You have to read the Differences.pdf file to find what has changed and look at the new Samples.plist file.

Thanks, I've downloaded the 0.5.8 and yes, it's autoboot after 5 seconds. I've tested the booting time of the OC 0.5.8 and Clover 5113 on the same volume and OC = 36 sec and Clover 51 secs. Now, there's one thing that really bother me is that in the EFI folder, there are tons of text files from OC which eventually will fill up the EFI partition. How do I move the default folder or stop OC from reporting.

Thanks,

Louis 

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 10.02.42 AM.png

• Haha 1

What exactly is it for.
I don't understand this description.

1. BootProtect
    Type: plist string
    Failsafe: None
    Description: Attempt to provide bootloader persistence.

Valid values:

• None — do nothing.

• Bootstrap — create or update top-priority \EFI\OC\Bootstrap\Bootstrap.efi boot option (Boot9696)

in UEFI variable storage at bootloader startup. For this option to work RequestBootVarRouting is required to be enabled.

This option provides integration with third-party operating system installation and upgrade at the times they overwrite \EFI\BOOT\BOOTx64.efi file. By creating a custom option in Bootstrap mode this file path becomes no longer used for bootstraping OpenCore.

Note 1: Some firmewares may have broken NVRAM, no boot option support, or various other incompatibilities of any kind. While unlikely, the use of this option may even cause boot failure. Use at your own risk on boards known to be compatible.

Note 2: Be warned that NVRAM reset will also erase the boot option created in Bootstrap mode.

1 hour ago, topolino1 said:

What exactly is it for.
I don't understand this description.

1. BootProtect
    Type: plist string
    Failsafe: None
    Description: Attempt to provide bootloader persistence.

Valid values:

• None — do nothing.

• Bootstrap — create or update top-priority \EFI\OC\Bootstrap\Bootstrap.efi boot option (Boot9696)

in UEFI variable storage at bootloader startup. For this option to work RequestBootVarRouting is required to be enabled.

This option provides integration with third-party operating system installation and upgrade at the times they overwrite \EFI\BOOT\BOOTx64.efi file. By creating a custom option in Bootstrap mode this file path becomes no longer used for bootstraping OpenCore.

Note 1: Some firmewares may have broken NVRAM, no boot option support, or various other incompatibilities of any kind. While unlikely, the use of this option may even cause boot failure. Use at your own risk on boards known to be compatible.

Note 2: Be warned that NVRAM reset will also erase the boot option created in Bootstrap mode.

It means fooking around with NVRAM variables, given their nature of being chaotic at best, is something you really shouldn't be doing if you don't precisely know what you're doing. NVRAM stores quite a bit of data, not just macOS-only entries. This setting is stored there. It has to be to jump ahead of anything aside from the BIOS.

Hi everyone!
I recently updated my boot loader to OC 0.5.8 and I noticed the new configuration section related to APFS. Everything is working fine but now the default boot device doesn't work.
I'm using Windows 10 and macOS in separated SSD disks, so I configured the Security > ScanPolicy option to 0 in order to see all my drives and until the version 0.5.7 (using ApfsDriverLoader.efi driver) everything went fine, now with the new option the order of appearance in OC Picker changed and the Windows drive is the first option and OC start automatically in Windows and not in macOS. No matter if I choose the startup disk (the only option in macOS is the macOS drive).
NVRAM are ok, I've reseted several times but nothing.

My idea is to boot in macOS by default and only choose Windows pressing the hotkey during the boot (or, show the Windows drive at Preferences > Startup Disk, which will be great).

Any clue?

Thanks in advance.

PS: attached are my EFI disk's content.

EFI (OC 0.5.8).zip

On 4/26/2020 at 5:32 PM, polkaholga said:

I just noticed that my hack immediately restarts when I try to use search in Finder.

Doesn't make any difference if I use BLT or wired keyboard, when I go to the search bar click into it all ok.

But as son as I hit the first letter... black screen and restart !

Keyboards work flawless in any other application though !

Anyone experiencing the same ?

I still can't figure it out what is wrong here.

This error does not happen with CLOVER

My actual config added... if someone could take a look i really would appreciate it.

Thanks

config.plist

2 hours ago, familygw said:

Hi everyone!
I recently updated my boot loader to OC 0.5.8 and I noticed the new configuration section related to APFS. Everything is working fine but now the default boot device doesn't work.
I'm using Windows 10 and macOS in separated SSD disks, so I configured the Security > ScanPolicy option to 0 in order to see all my drives and until the version 0.5.7 (using ApfsDriverLoader.efi driver) everything went fine, now with the new option the order of appearance in OC Picker changed and the Windows drive is the first option and OC start automatically in Windows and not in macOS. No matter if I choose the startup disk (the only option in macOS is the macOS drive).
NVRAM are ok, I've reseted several times but nothing.

My idea is to boot in macOS by default and only choose Windows pressing the hotkey during the boot (or, show the Windows drive at Preferences > Startup Disk, which will be great).

Any clue?

Thanks in advance.

PS: attached are my EFI disk's content.

EFI (OC 0.5.8).zip

After NVRAM reseat Windows will be the default startup disk automatically. To change default startup disk you need to use the bless tool in System Preferences --> Startup Disk. 

1 hour ago, obus said:

After NVRAM reseat Windows will be the default startup disk automatically. To change default startup disk you need to use the bless tool in System Preferences --> Startup Disk. 

There are many ways to do this. You can set this in OC directly. You can also set this in the BIOS. And of course in Windows using something like BOOTICE.

AllowSetDefault
Type: plist boolean
Failsafe: false
Description: Allow CTRL+Enter and CTRL+Index handling to set the default boot option in boot picker.