OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,809 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Pavo said:

Just to be clear, where it might not be the "Official OpenCore" Discord server for "Acidanthera" group, it is where most normal users can come and ask for questions and get help with the basic understanding of using OpenCore. Where as the official Discord server for OpenCore for the "Acidanthera" team I am sure is private to a very few developers and very few "trusted" testers.

And to be clear, we were the only discord group to adopt Opencore from the very start since 0.0.1, @Download-Fritz @vit9696 We are not expecting an endorsement, but we have had hundreds of successful Opencore builds via this channel. It's an English support channel and everyone is welcome for opencore support, but our policy is for everyone to read the official documentation before asking for help.

That comment has been made as a reaction to the question refering to "the OpenCore Discord". There is no such thing, and neither do we want anyone to believe there is, nor do we believe that you claim to be, yet the question may suggest exactly that to unexperienced users.

There is no official Discord server for OpenCore or Acidanthera, not in public and not in private. Infact, I do not know most Acidanthera members, "trusted testers" and such myself at all.

@Pavo @MacProDude I'd like to ask you to try to interpret statements in "good faith" because nobody is interested in drama around a software project.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Download-Fritz said:

There is no official Discord server for OpenCore or Acidanthera, not in public and not in private. Infact, I do not know most Acidanthera members, "trusted testers" and such myself at all.

Many thanks, it answers my curious. Now may I ask about "config.plist - Misc - Entries"...

With 10.13.6 (HFS+) I'm able to boot using this custom "Path":

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x2)/Sata(0x0,0xFFFF,0x0)/HD(3,GPT,C456A6F1-04EB-46FC-9D03-A72480F3FC3B,0x50EA800,0xBF68000)/\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi

But with 10.14.x - 10.15 (APFS) it won't boot with:

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x2)/Sata(0x0,0xFFFF,0x0)/HD(5,GPT,82C9F5B0-9BE3-4ABC-9DC1-D0241EEB93B2,0x11188800,0x4082800)/VenMedia(BE74FCF7-0B7C-49F3-9147-01F4042E6842,42110296967A1A469B7D207A294F0602)/\A3897DBE-ECFB-4EF4-91EC-0F7E28C2E7F3\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi

These paths are taken from OpenCore boot logs when using "Misc - Security - ScanPolicy: 0x003F0002" < This one actually works just fine, but on my case I'm trying with Custom Entries and prevent OC from scanning with ScanPolicy=0x00000001.

Is it possible using custom path for APFS volume, or.. if not; is it bcoz APFS Volume actually not exist (virtual)..?

Edited by Badruzeus

10 hours ago, Download-Fritz said:

That comment has been made as a reaction to the question refering to "the OpenCore Discord". There is no such thing, and neither do we want anyone to believe there is, nor do we believe that you claim to be, yet the question may suggest exactly that to unexperienced users.

@Pavo @MacProDude I'd like to ask you to try to interpret statements in "good faith" because nobody is interested in drama around a software project.

Great! I didn't ask for official sponsoring of the channel or the guide, Users have options, and they are there for people if they want to read or join. As for drama, no one is causing drama. :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Badruzeus said:

Many thanks, it answers my curious. Now may I ask about "config.plist - Misc - Entries"...

With 10.13.6 (HFS+) I'm able to boot using this custom "Path":

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x2)/Sata(0x0,0xFFFF,0x0)/HD(3,GPT,C456A6F1-04EB-46FC-9D03-A72480F3FC3B,0x50EA800,0xBF68000)/\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi

But with 10.14.x - 10.15 (APFS) it won't boot with:

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x2)/Sata(0x0,0xFFFF,0x0)/HD(5,GPT,82C9F5B0-9BE3-4ABC-9DC1-D0241EEB93B2,0x11188800,0x4082800)/VenMedia(BE74FCF7-0B7C-49F3-9147-01F4042E6842,42110296967A1A469B7D207A294F0602)/\A3897DBE-ECFB-4EF4-91EC-0F7E28C2E7F3\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi

These paths are taken from OpenCore boot logs when using "Misc - Security - ScanPolicy: 0x003F0002" < This one actually works just fine, but on my case I'm trying with Custom Entries and prevent OC from scanning with ScanPolicy=0x00000001.

Is it possible using custom path for APFS volume, or.. if not; is it bcoz APFS Volume actually not exist (virtual)..?

I think on APFS, they are using Prebooter path instead, I had my custom entries work fines with default scan policy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dear all,

I'm quite new to OpenCore and try to get it work on my Hackintosh.

My config is quite common:

• Asus Z170 ProGaming board
  • Intel Core i5 6600K CPU
  • AMD Radeon 5700 GPU (but it is disconnected at the moment until I manage to update to Catalina last version)
  • USB Steelseries Keyboard

I folowed the Insanelymac tutorial to prepare my open core EFI folder.

All is fresly downloaded from yesterday

Opencorepkg 0.5.1

with kext:

• lilu,
  • whatever green,
  • applealc,
  • virtualsmc,
  • smcprocessor
  • smcsuperio

The driver I added are:

• Apfsdriverloader
  • FwRuntimeservices
  • UsbKbDxe
  • VBoxHfs
  • VirtualSMC

And I use the ACPI files:

• SSDT-EC-USBX
  • SSDT-PLUG

All of them are the latest released.

I've configured my config.plist according to the Skylake recommendation.

I've attached my config.plist

I manage to see the bootloader with the different partitions but when it comes to select the one the keyboard is not responding even so backlighted.

Any idea?

@Elende

Don't use UsbKbDxe.efi and KeySupport=yes at the same time.

Delete UsbKbDxe.efi or set all NO in Input section. (Decide as works for you better.)

Replace VBoxHfs.efi on HfsPlus.efi

VBoxHfs.efi it is license it is pure, but it is very slow therefore problems with boot RecoveryHD (dmg).

Edited by Andrey1970

On 10/21/2019 at 1:35 PM, NavHac said:

Hi, trying to move my old build from clover to opencore. But opencore just freeze "Prelinked status - Success" nothing happened after that, the Same machine is booting Catalina just fine with clover.

Attached screenshot of last error, my config.plist, last opencore boot log and EFI directory.

Need help in diagnosing what I am doing wrong.

config.plist

EFI.zip

opencore-2019-10-21-074411.txt

Not able to boot till yet. Any help?

Cound someone just give a more specific description about what is "AppleBootPolicy"?

There is little information about it, I don't know whether we should use it in a hackintosh VM.

The offical description is here: "Ensures APFS compatibility on VMs or legacy Macs"

Does anybody know how boot selection is supposed to work and why it doesn't work with emulated nvram (i.e. using LegacyEnable and LogoutHook, tried with and without DisableVariableWrite)?

I have a B360 mainboard, so no native working nvram in macOS. NVRAM is working under Windows 10 with the startup disk selection in the bootcamp control panel, and when I use that it sets Boot0080 and BootOrder appropriately. Under macOS, however, startup disk only seems to set efi-boot-device. Boot0080 does not change, nor is it created when it doesn't exist, while from what I read that is expected to happen?

(I'd specifically like macOS updates to reboot to the installer and back again automatically)

Emulated NVRAM doesn’t work that way, it does what is outlined in the nvram.plist file. So..... in order for that to work, you would have to have something that will write to the nvram.plist every time you did an update or used Startup Disk for the boot order to change in the nvram.plist file. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Andrey1970 said:

@Elende

Don't use UsbKbDxe.efi and KeySupport=yes at the same time.

Delete UsbKbDxe.efi or set all NO in Input section. (Decide as works for you better.)

Replace VBoxHfs.efi on HfsPlus.efi

VBoxHfs.efi it is license it is pure, but it is very slow therefore problems with boot RecoveryHD (dmg).

Why is VboxHFS in the sampleconfig.plist if we are suppose to use HFSPlus? or did i miss read what you said.

Question to the Devs!

Where should I install 3rd party kext.

As I understand from Clover all 3rd party kext should be installed in L/E except for basic/critical kext you need for booting into MacOS Installer,Recovery or Updater, kexts like FakeSMC and some other kext we need injected before running them. 

Shall we have the same approach in OC or is it good enough to just keep the kexts in EFI/OC/Kexts?

For me everything is working with the kexts in EFI/OC/Kexts but what is the most correct way?

Edited by obus

@MacPato™ HFSPlus is proprietary and not licensed for redistribution, but superiour performing

@obus I have heard the LE recommendation a bunch but never once a satisfying argument for that. We recommend injection especially looking into the future and in regards to SIP state.

Edited by Download-Fritz
  • Like 2

Hi,

I recently switched from Clover to OpenCore, everything works great (sleep, power management, etc ...) and I decided to stay with OC. Today I updated from 10.15 to 10.15.1 and in one of the several reboots of the upgrade procedure I got the error showed in the attached jpg.

It was not a big problem because simply rebooting, entering manually in the picker and selecting the disk "Install macOS" made the update to continue and the process went ok.

In my pursuit for the perfect vanilla system I wonder if this is the expected behavior or if I should modify any option to avoid that error. I have searched info about the error but I have not found anything that seems relevant.

I take this opportunity to thank the entire community, especially the developers for these incredible tools.

Regards

screenshot.jpg

Edited by zaborrilla
corrected typo

Ha-ha. Native Apple Bless protocol works 100%. Tried to update your AMI firmware with Apple ROM:hysterical:

It happened because of outdated Apple Boot ROM version in OpenCore. Either you use outdated BIOSVersion with Automatic-false in PlatformInfo->SMBIOS, or (if you use Automatic=true) BIOSVersion in OpenCore sources are outdated.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, MacPato™ said:

Why is VboxHFS in the sampleconfig.plist if we are suppose to use HFSPlus? or did i miss read what you said.

https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/blob/master/Docs/Sample.plist#L726

We can't load HfsPlus.efi on AppleSupportPkg, but you know where to take it.

Edited by Andrey1970

1 hour ago, vandroiy2012 said:

Ha-ha. Native Apple Bless protocol works 100%. Tried to update your AMI firmware with Apple ROM:hysterical:

It happened because of outdated Apple Boot ROM version in OpenCore. Either you use outdated BIOSVersion with Automatic-false in PlatformInfo->SMBIOS, or (if you use Automatic=true) BIOSVersion in OpenCore sources are outdated.  

Thanks for the explanation! I use Automatic=true, so it must be the second. I use OpenCore version 0.5.2, from the recent release of Acidanthera Github, maybe Apple released recently a new firmare for macmini8,1 (that is what I use). Anyway, I will see what will happen at the next update.

Regards!