OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,809 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, Download-Fritz said:

@bittantone sorry, I had two copy+paste mistakes: https://github.com/acidanthera/OcSupportPkg/commit/0c20f3f5cf860d51961d8b0c1bbcaf36eee6e571

but considering the first branch is not even reached, I get the feeling this will not work either. Please report back whether it works, but a different kind of workaround is going to take a bit more time to implement

Ok, now it reaches the OC menu, but it still fails to read the NVME containing macOS

opencore-log.txt

@Download-Fritz the part that looks more strange to me is that if I put ScanPolicy to 0 the macOS entry on NVME is correctly detected and everything works fine. Couldn't it be possible that the NVME partition is detected as something different from APFS and HFS+ and for that reason is ignored?

(Please note that I've fire vault enabled)

Edited by bittantone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bittantone said:

Ok, now it reaches the OC menu, but it still fails to read the NVME containing macOS

opencore-log.txt

@Download-Fritz the part that looks more strange to me is that if I put ScanPolicy to 0 the macOS entry on NVME is correctly detected and everything works fine. Couldn't it be possible that the NVME partition is detected as something different from APFS and HFS+ and for that reason is ignored?

(Please note that I've fire vault enabled)

My set up is similar: I usually boot from an NVME drive, no NVRAM is used, but I do not have Fire Vault enabled. I use ScanPolicy of 3080963 as mentioned earlier. With this I can boot from NVME or SATA drives (I have no Windows active so cannot comment). And setting the System Preferences/Startup Disk works perfectly in either Mojave or Catalina.

When you mentioned difficulty getting into BIOS, I've seen that with corrupted BIOS. Maybe re-flash BIOS.

Another possibility is a corrupted config file; are you using XCode for editing?

I once had a corrupted EFI drive that gave weird boots (your issue doesn't sound this bad). My only recourse at the time was to reformat and use a backup to restore. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, iGPU said:

My set up is similar: I usually boot from an NVME drive, no NVRAM is used, but I do not have Fire Vault enabled. I use ScanPolicy of 3080963 as mentioned earlier. With this I can boot from NVME or SATA drives (I have no Windows active so cannot comment). And setting the System Preferences/Startup Disk works perfectly in either Mojave or Catalina.

When you mentioned difficulty getting into BIOS, I've seen that with corrupted BIOS. Maybe re-flash BIOS.

Another possibility is a corrupted config file; are you using XCode for editing?

I once had a corrupted EFI drive that gave weird boots (your issue doesn't sound this bad). My only recourse at the time was to reformat and use a backup to restore. 

Thank you for your inputs. I've tried with 3080963, but unfortunately it does not find macOS on the NVME :no: I'd be happy to use ScanEntry = 0, which works, but it does find Windows and start it by default, even though I set macOS from Startup Disk panel. 

Are you using LogoutHook + nvram.plist?

Concerning BIOS corruption, yeah I think this is the cause, but honestly I don't know whether it is plausible, nor how to fix it. 

I'm using Xcode and Plist Editor Pro, but sometimes I also use Meld/Kaleidoscope to compare different config.plists. Btw I don't think this is the problem, since the BIOS is stuck even though I remove the USB drive with OpenCore

Edited by bittantone

24 minutes ago, bittantone said:

Concerning BIOS corruption, yeah I think this is the cause, but honestly I don't know whether it is plausible, nor how to fix it.

That would be interesting... just perform a FW update and, if there is such a prompt, refuse to carry on previous settings.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Download-Fritz said:

That would be interesting... just perform a FW update and, if there is such a prompt, refuse to carry on previous settings.

As far as I know, to re-flash my BIOS I need to enter BIOS settings, which I cannot access when BIOS gets corrupted. The only workaround is to remove the CMOS battery to reset settings and power on without any SATA/disk inserted...

I'm trying to migrate to OpenCore from Clover.  I took my existing install, got rid of the Clover folder, set up the OC folder according to the Vanilla Guide, and also copied over the BOOT folder from the 0.51 zip file.  The only thing (AFAIK) I did different from the Vanilla Guide was keeping my existing DSDT which has generally had no effect since my motherboard is "out of the box" hackintoshable.

When I boot into my Mac SSD, it just hangs at the BIOS screen.  No further information, just the POST and then it sits there.  As such, I'm stumped.  I'm running a Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H with an 3570k and RX 580 video card.  I've been using this as a hackintosh for years, so hopefully I can keep doing so!

I would really appreciate any help or advice!  What I've done so far:

- turned off my custom SSDT made with powergen.sh way back when

- added the EC SSDT per the vanilla guide

- removed an old Apple folder that was hanging out there

I'm pretty well at a loss here because I'm not getting any error messages, so any help would be appreciated!  I'm attaching my EFI folder with my system's serial numbers and UUID scrubbed.  Thanks in advance!

EFI.zip

Edited by birdbird

1 hour ago, bittantone said:

As far as I know, to re-flash my BIOS I need to enter BIOS settings, which I cannot access when BIOS gets corrupted. The only workaround is to remove the CMOS battery to reset settings and power on without any SATA/disk inserted...

I had same issue of difficulty getting into BIOS (on both ASUS and GB mobos). I kept re-booting while tapping the "Delete" key (entry for ASUS mobos) and eventually I got in. (Removing NVME and SATA drives is okay at this stage.)

I'd already prepared a USB flash drive on another computer and had it inserted into the correct USB port (check your manual; there is one port that is correct for flashing BIOS for each mobo).

One other thing to consider that can make getting into BIOS difficult is bad memory. So check your DDR4 sticks.

When the worse BIOS corruption happened to me, it was compounded by a bad DDR4 stick. My clue was a change in LED colors. All of the DDR4 sticks had LEDs and one displayed colors different than the rest; so I removed that stick along with its mate (keeping correct pairs), and then I easily got into BIOS, and was subsequently able to re-flash it.

Edited by iGPU
  • Like 1

Am I reading this right?

If I set scan policy to 1 (0x00000001) then OC will see only the OS I use? Or would I need to include their devices as well. "1" doesn't seem to work on it's own and my OS is on an M.2 drive. Am ok to presume I need...

1, 2, 400, 8000? so a total of 0x00008403 (33,795)?

Im doing this mostly to learn but also my logs tell me that a lot of my boot is spent here.

0x00000001 - Known File Systems Only
0x00000002 - Known Device Types.
0x00000200 - HFS File System Scan
0x00000400 - Allow EFI Partition Scan
0x00010000 - Allow Sata Scan
0x00020000 - SAS Scan
0x00040000 - SCSI Scan
0x00080000 - NVMe Scan
0x00100000 - CD/DVD Scan
0x00200000 - USB Drive Scan
0x00400000 - FireWire Scan
0x00800000 - SD/Card Media Scan

1 hour ago, birdbird said:

I'm trying to migrate to OpenCore from Clover.  I took my existing install, got rid of the Clover folder, set up the OC folder according to the Vanilla Guide, and also copied over the BOOT folder from the 0.51 zip file.  The only thing (AFAIK) I did different from the Vanilla Guide was keeping my existing DSDT which has generally had no effect since my motherboard is "out of the box" hackintoshable.

When I boot into my Mac SSD, it just hangs at the BIOS screen.  No further information, just the POST and then it sits there.  As such, I'm stumped.  I'm running a Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H with an 3570k and RX 580 video card.  I've been using this as a hackintosh for years, so hopefully I can keep doing so!

I would really appreciate any help or advice!  What I've done so far:

- turned off my custom SSDT made with powergen.sh way back when

- added the EC SSDT per the vanilla guide

- removed an old Apple folder that was hanging out there

I'm pretty well at a loss here because I'm not getting any error messages, so any help would be appreciated!  I'm attaching my EFI folder with my system's serial numbers and UUID scrubbed.  Thanks in advance!

EFI.zip

You might have some issues with residual Clover files. Maybe try removing them, by running the following from a Terminal window:

sudo rm -rf /etc/rc.boot.d
sudo rm -rf /etc/rc.shutdown.d
sudo rm -rf /Volumes/EFI/nvram.plist
sudo rm -rf /etc/rc.clover.lib
sudo rm -rf etc/rc.boot.d/20.mount_ESP.local
sudo rm -rf /etc/rc.boot.d/70.disable_sleep_proxy_client.local.disabled
sudo rm -rf /etc/rc.boot.d/80.save_nvram_plist.local

lastly, look for and remove this file if present: Library/PreferencePanes/Clover.prefPane

As for your EFI file, you got IntelMausiEthernet.kext in your kext folder but IntelMausi.kext in your Kernel section. (I'm not certain how useful BrcmPatchRAM2.kext is, but it probably isn't keeping you from booting; I think AirportBrcmFixup.kext is more useful.)

ExternalDiskIcons, ThirdPartyTrim and XhciPortLimit are usually best "No". In regard to the latter, you're using USBInjectAll.kext, but I don't see a SSDT-UIAC file. So I don't see a proper way you're limiting USB ports (aside from depending on XhciPortLimit, which is best not used). A simple addition when using USBInjectAll would be to add a boot argument (NVRAM section) like this: uia_exclude=HS09;HS10;HS13;SSP3;SSP4;SSP7;SSP8;USR1;USR2 (obviously changing these values to ports you wish to exclude). I prefer not using USBInjectAll (and the above boot arg), and instead use a USBPortsMap kext file to inject the desired USB ports. Hackintool can create this file for you.

In your PlatformInfo section, you've removed DataHub, PlatformNVRAM and SMBIOS sections. I kept all and leave Automatic as No. Maybe copy these from the Sample.plist file, and and fill-in with your data. 

I don't use any DSDT.aml file and have no issues booting with OC.

Finally, the OC docs suggest leaving AvoidHighAlloc as YES for GA-Z77P mobos; maybe this holds true for your GA-Z77X?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Carbonimax said:

Here is my EFI Folder.

I would really appreciate any help or advice :)

Most all of your ACPI patches are discouraged per OC docs. I'd turn them off to sort things out first.

I've not needed any DSDT.aml files to boot. I'd turn this off for now too.

You've got a lot of DeviceProperties. I'd probably try to boot without most of them and then add them back once things look okay.

I'd reduce your boot arguments from:
-v dart=0 alcid=16 slide=0 darkwake=10 debug=0x100 agdpmod=pikera nv_disable=1

To:
-v darkwake=10 debug=0x100

(dart=0 not needed since you have DisableIoMapper = YES; slide=0 is discouraged.)

You can leave UEFI/Input/PointerSupportMode blank as you're not using an ASUS mobo (I am using one but still leave it blank).

Your other settings are similar to what I've used with both Mojave and Catalina.

2 hours ago, Carbonimax said:

Thank you!

I remove DSDT.aml, all patches, all DeviceProperties, reduce boot args and change ScanPolicy to 0 but always same problem, halt on the same line :-/

Sorry, it didn't help. I did just notice that you're must be on "Catalina 10.15.1" (your sig says "Mojave 10.15.1", but Mojave = 10.14.x), and I only saw the Mojave.

So, while it may not affect your boot, Catalina 10.15.1 beta (2) seem to need boot/arg agdpmod=pikera (which I'd told you to remove), and no need for WEG with a navi GPU, like RX5700. I don't know about Vega 64 (also in your sig) since not navi. (I'm not running beta OS and don't have a navi GPU, just a Vega 56, so I'm out of that loop.)

Edited by iGPU

Seem to have an issue with OC and Catalina 10.15.1b2. I updated the os and booted from OC 0.5.2 ok. If I restart I get "Unable to load kernel cache". I can still boot from clover 5096 with no problems, I can use OC to boot mohave no problems. It will even boot Windows just fine. Will not boot into catalina again from OC. Please help and thank you.

EFI.zip

10 hours ago, iGPU said:

Sorry, it didn't help. I did just notice that you're must be on "Catalina 10.15.1" (your sig says "Mojave 10.15.1", but Mojave = 10.14.x), and I only saw the Mojave.

So, while it may not affect your boot, Catalina 10.15.1 beta (2) seem to need boot/arg agdpmod=pikera (which I'd told you to remove), and no need for WEG with a navi GPU, like RX5700. I don't know about Vega 64 (also in your sig) since not navi. (I'm not running beta OS and don't have a navi GPU, just a Vega 56, so I'm out of that loop.)

Correct, it is Catalina! Fix.

In Clover, I have to put `agdpmod=pikera`, otherwise I have a black screen... I don't know why.

When I replace `pikera` by `vit9696` or without WEG, it doesn't work.

With ou without this boot args, OC crash, so I think it is not the problem.

19 hours ago, NorthAmTrans said:

Am I reading this right?

If I set scan policy to 1 (0x00000001) then OC will see only the OS I use? Or would I need to include their devices as well. "1" doesn't seem to work on it's own and my OS is on an M.2 drive. Am ok to presume I need...

1, 2, 400, 8000? so a total of 0x00008403 (33,795)?

Im doing this mostly to learn but also my logs tell me that a lot of my boot is spent here.

0x00000001 - Known File Systems Only
0x00000002 - Known Device Types.
0x00000200 - HFS File System Scan
0x00000400 - Allow EFI Partition Scan
0x00010000 - Allow Sata Scan
0x00020000 - SAS Scan
0x00040000 - SCSI Scan
0x00080000 - NVMe Scan
0x00100000 - CD/DVD Scan
0x00200000 - USB Drive Scan
0x00400000 - FireWire Scan
0x00800000 - SD/Card Media Scan

this information is wrong. correct one is: 

0x00000001 (bit 0) — OC_SCAN_FILE_SYSTEM_LOCK,

0x00000002 (bit 1) — OC_SCAN_DEVICE_LOCK,

RTFOM: READ THE {censored} ORIGINAL MANUAL

https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/blob/master/Docs/Configuration.pdf

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, justin said:

this information is wrong. correct one is: 

0x00000001 (bit 0) — OC_SCAN_FILE_SYSTEM_LOCK,

0x00000002 (bit 1) — OC_SCAN_DEVICE_LOCK,

RTFOM: READ THE {censored} ORIGINAL MANUAL

https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/blob/master/Docs/Configuration.pdf

Delightfully hostile. Will disregard other manuals, I've read em all but just wanted something to copy and paste.

Can you help me come up with a value or teach me how you do that will scan only my M.2 drive?

1 hour ago, NorthAmTrans said:

Delightfully hostile. Will disregard other manuals, I've read em all but just wanted something to copy and paste.

Can you help me come up with a value or teach me how you do that will scan only my M.2 drive?

to scan only M.2 (NVME+APFS), you need:

0x00000001 (bit 0) — OC_SCAN_FILE_SYSTEM_LOCK

0x00000002 (bit 1) — OC_SCAN_DEVICE_LOCK

0x00000100 (bit 8) — OC_SCAN_ALLOW_FS_APFS

0x00080000 (bit 19) — OC_SCAN_ALLOW_DEVICE_NVME,

that's bit 0+1+8+19, hex 0x80103, decimal 524547

(open Calculator.app, View-Programmer, click bit 0 1 8 19 to set them "1", then click 16 and 10, you will get the hex and decimal value)

so put ScanPolicy=524547 in there.

Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 02.41.21.png

Edited by justin
  • Like 7

Hi @justin

I have now  0xB0503. Converted that will be 722179.

This combination reads as:

OC_SCAN_FILE_SYSTEM_LOCK 

OC_SCAN_DEVICE_LOCK
OC_SCAN_ALLOW_FS_APFS
OC_SCAN_ALLOW_DEVICE_SATA 

OC_SCAN_ALLOW_DEVICE_SASEX 

OC_SCAN_ALLOW_FS_ESP

OC_SCAN_ALLOW_DEVICE_NVME

OC_SCAN_ALLOW_FS_ESP allows to scan EFI System partition wich means that my EFI partition-map will show up as a separate boot option in Boot menu together with my Windows boot option.

Is there a way to hide only the EFI boot option in Boot menu and keep just the Windows boot option in Boot menu?

I have Windows on a separate disk.

Edited by obus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, justin said:

to scan only M.2 (NVME+APFS), you need:

0x00000001 (bit 0) — OC_SCAN_FILE_SYSTEM_LOCK

0x00000002 (bit 1) — OC_SCAN_DEVICE_LOCK

0x00000100 (bit 8) — OC_SCAN_ALLOW_FS_APFS

0x00080000 (bit 19) — OC_SCAN_ALLOW_DEVICE_NVME,

that's bit 0+1+8+19, hex 0x80103, decimal 524547

(open Calculator.app, View-Programmer, click bit 0 1 8 19 to set them "1", then click 16 and 10, you will get the hex and decimal value)

so put ScanPolicy=524547 in there.

Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 02.41.21.png

My freaking hero. Ok, im getting the understanding. Thanks for taking the time to help educate.

18 hours ago, moozuki said:

Seem to have an issue with OC and Catalina 10.15.1b2. I updated the os and booted from OC 0.5.2 ok. If I restart I get "Unable to load kernel cache". I can still boot from clover 5096 with no problems, I can use OC to boot mohave no problems. It will even boot Windows just fine. Will not boot into catalina again from OC. Please help and thank you.

EFI.zip

Just spent most of the day trying to solve this. Still get "unable to load kernel cache (0x0E) ". If I don't get help I will have to go back to Clover since OC will not boot the new OS.