OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,809 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, lottenow said:

I am not an expert, but from what the message tells me, it cannot load the "boot options". So perhaps, it does not recognise my HFS+ and APFS partitions?

Thanks!

When changing the value for ScanPolicy, make sure you don’t add commas, let Xcode add them (otherwise the value will be corrupted). If you’re not sure what value you should be using initially, try 0 and see if that works. (Failsafe value does not support HFS+)

15 minutes ago, canyondust said:

When changing the value for ScanPolicy, make sure you don’t add commas, let Xcode add them (otherwise the value will be corrupted). If you’re not sure what value you should be using initially, try 0 and see if that works. (Failsafe value does not support HFS+)

My USB where OpenCore is formatted as HFS+, whilst Catalina is using APFS.

Your suggestion actually took me to a new error, which I have attached below.

I had my ScanPolicy set to 0 and changed it to 983,299 as per Vanilla Guide under Security. It does boot now, even though I still get an error. I am not sure why it would not boot when I select 0, i.e. scan all.

I do not use Xcode, but PlistEdit Pro, which works flawlessly.

screenshot.jpg

I know this has been asked as a feature request by Sniki but I wanted to second his request for InfoPlistPatch.

I'm having most everything working well in OC v050 (using the X299 build) in both Mojave and Catalina, except for an InfoPlist Patch item. The code is for adjusting the monitor brightness with the F1/F2 keys, using the NativeDisplayBrightness.app

SOLVED:

I used a different app, MonitorControl. It doesn't require any config.plist entries to work. https://github.com/the0neyouseek/MonitorControl/releases

Edited by iGPU
Solved problem.

13 hours ago, lottenow said:

Seems to be a potential issue with virtualsmc. Did you include it’s plugins in your config kext list?

13 hours ago, lottenow said:

Seems to be a potential issue with virtualsmc. Did you include it’s plugins in your config kext list?

16 hours ago, lottenow said:

I had my ScanPolicy set to 0 and changed it to 983,299 as per Vanilla Guide under Security. It does boot now, even though I still get an error. I am not sure why it would not boot when I select 0, i.e. scan all.

I do not use Xcode, but PlistEdit Pro, which works flawlessly.

screenshot.jpg

Do you try to remove virtualsmc.efi (keep virtualsmc.kext of course)

5 hours ago, canyondust said:

5 hours ago, canyondust said:

Yes, I have it in the OC/Drivers folder as well as under UEFI>Drivers>0>VirtualSMC.efi on my config.plist.

I still cannot understand why my VirtualSMC is broken, given that I updated it to the latest release.

2 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

Do you try to remove virtualsmc.efi (keep virtualsmc.kext of course)

I have tried that and my screen has now change. I have also swapped the AppleGenericInput.efi for UsbKbDxe.efi to try and resolve the issue of ApplePS2Controller, but it still stands.

- ACPI: Same as before

- Drivers: ApfsDriverLoader, FwRuntimeServices, UsbKbDxe, VBoxHfs

- config.plist updated attached as well as screenshot

Thank you!

unnamed.jpg

config.plist

Edited by lottenow

53 minutes ago, lottenow said:

Yes, I have it in the OC/Drivers folder as well as under UEFI>Drivers>0>VirtualSMC.efi on my config.plist.

I still cannot understand why my VirtualSMC is broken, given that I updated it to the latest release.

I have tried that and my screen has now change. I have also swapped the AppleGenericInput.efi for UsbKbDxe.efi to try and resolve the issue of ApplePS2Controller, but it still stands.

Thank you!

config.plist

Get Acidanthera VoodooPS2. Edit your config like this:PS2.png.aa2a24e206d9a0ff5d4a91f6401f4cd2.png

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, lottenow said:

Thank you!

unnamed.jpg

config.plist

VirtualSMC.efi module is recommended for boot.efi compatibility when FileVault 2 is enabled. :) If you don't use FileVault2, remove it.

Do you try to select 'ThirdPartyTrim' Quirk to YES.

1 hour ago, hardcorehenry said:

Get Acidanthera VoodooPS2. Edit your config like this:PS2.png.aa2a24e206d9a0ff5d4a91f6401f4cd2.png

Thanks for this! To be honest, I was using VoodooPS2Controller from RehabMan. I was not aware of Acidanthera's kext in relation to VoodooPS2.

I have updated my new configuration which took me to a new screen, yet my VirtualSMC is still broker and will not boot. Strange how everything works under Clover but not under OpenCore, as the system is the same.

Please find everything attached to the post.

1 hour ago, Matgen84 said:

VirtualSMC.efi module is recommended for boot.efi compatibility when FileVault 2 is enabled. :) If you don't use FileVault2, remove it.

Do you try to select 'ThirdPartyTrim' Quirk to YES.

Fair enough. I believed it was a compatibility issue as FakeSMC requires FakeSMC.efi. Also, my VirtualSMC is still broken as you can see below.

I have enabled TRIM even though I am using an HDD for my Catalina partition.

Thanks again!

config.plist

EFI folder.png

unnamed.jpg

34 minutes ago, lottenow said:

Thanks for this! To be honest, I was using VoodooPS2Controller from RehabMan. I was not aware of Acidanthera's kext in relation to VoodooPS2.

I have updated my new configuration which took me to a new screen, yet my VirtualSMC is still broker and will not boot. Strange how everything works under Clover but not under OpenCore, as the system is the same.

Please find everything attached to the post.

Fair enough. I believed it was a compatibility issue as FakeSMC requires FakeSMC.efi. Also, my VirtualSMC is still broken as you can see below.

I have enabled TRIM even though I am using an HDD for my Catalina partition.

Thanks again!

config.plist

Download virtual smc package. Rigt click VirtualSMC  Show Package Contents, enter Contents directory. Create folder named PlugIns and put all virtual smc plugins in it. Edit config:smc.png.15ac132fec507197a6c718972a25c920.png

34 minutes ago, lottenow said:

57 minutes ago, hardcorehenry said:

Download virtual smc package. Rigt click VirtualSMC  Show Package Contents, enter Contents directory. Create folder named PlugIns and put all virtual smc plugins in it. Edit config:smc.png.15ac132fec507197a6c718972a25c920.png

I have done what you suggested, but there is no real change. I can see as well that one of the ACPI table is failing on start up. I have also tried adding "-vsmcbeta" in my boot-args, because I am running Catalina Beta 8, but without success to boot.

I have updated my config.plist and I have attached it to this post.

I was wondering whether it is worth looking at my DSDT.aml with MaciASL?

Thank you!

config.plist

unnamed.jpg

40 minutes ago, lottenow said:

I have done what you suggested, but there is no real change. I can see as well that one of the ACPI table is failing on start up. I have also tried adding "-vsmcbeta" in my boot-args, because I am running Catalina Beta 8, but without success to boot.

I have updated my config.plist and I have attached it to this post.

I was wondering whether it is worth looking at my DSDT.aml with MaciASL?

Thank you!

config.plist

Try only with SMCProcessor.kext and SMCSuperIO.kext, also edit Config.

Edited by hardcorehenry

Hey everyone!

So I was able to set up OpenCore config and almost everything works on my MSI GS65- 8SE. The only issue I have is that I am unable to shut down or restart my computer. Booting in verbose, I get this after I click restart/shutdown and it stays there forever and does not move forward.

com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.systen <notice>: userspace teardown took 5039 ms
com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.systen <notice>: Will be calling reboot(2) with flags 0x8

Notice: I removed my smbios from config.plist and I also compiled OpenCore 0.5.1 from source.

EFI.zip

Edited by e12350

@gndzer0 Thanks for your results. Unfortunately, we're currently quite busy and would like to assist with debugging the issue only in a short while. The first important thing we'd like to find out is whether the stall is required inbetween operations or only preceeding the first after wake. If you can debug this part yourself, that'd be great actually. That'd require some sort of flag before S3 (e.g. setting a "magic" NVar) which will then be retrieved and cleared on wake's first SetVariable call.

3 hours ago, vit9696 said:

And regarding the Booter quirk set, it may be interesting to know what is on off. Also please remind whether it worked or not with AptioMemoryFix in the past.

@vit9696 Assuming this is @ me, AptioMemoryFix would have the same issue with restarting/shutdown.

11 hours ago, e12350 said:

Hey everyone!

So I was able to set up OpenCore config and almost everything works on my MSI GS65- 8SE. The only issue I have is that I am unable to shut down or restart my computer. Booting in verbose, I get this after I click restart/shutdown and it stays there forever and does not move forward.

com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.systen <notice>: userspace teardown took 5039 ms
com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.systen <notice>: Will be calling reboot(2) with flags 0x8

Notice: I removed my smbios from config.plist and I also compiled OpenCore 0.5.1 from source.

EFI.zip

set DisableVariableWrite = YES and try again. 

remove UsbKbDxe.efi and AppleGenericInput.efi if you Do NOT use FV2, plus if you DO use FV2, you must choose one of them, not both.  

Edited by justin

21 hours ago, hardcorehenry said:

Try only with SMCProcessor.kext and SMCSuperIO.kext, also edit Config.

Thanks for your reply. I actually managed to get everything working back again, following my Clover configuration and adapting it to OpenCore. I also used another online resource.

My specs: i7 8750H, UHD 630, RAM 16GB.

Working: Ethernet, Audio, iGPU.

So far, I do not want to configure the whole system as I am using this for testing purpose only on this laptop.

Nonetheless, I would like to dig deeper into my ACPI and the correct functioning with OpenCore.

Effectively, the system is working without any ACPI patches, as I have completely removed the ACPI folder as it kept on giving me problems with the ACPI samples I found on the vanilla guide, and I have only left the EC0 to EC from my previous post. Most of the ACPI is also changed automatically by WhateverGreen anyway. I also had to add all the "beta" args for Lilu, WhateverGreen and AppleALC for it to work properly on Catalina.

I can also see the Recovery option on the OpenCore Boot Menu, but it does not work as it does not load. It is not an issue as I would probably never use it anyway, and it is for testing only, so I am going to pass on this.

I am assuming Reset NVRAM option worked as I get a reboot with a black screen and I am back again in OpenCore.

I have not tried the BOOTCAMP Windows options, but as far I can understand, ACPI should not be automatically patched in Windows from OpenCore. Even so, I would never use OpenCore to boot to Windows.

I would like to know what could be causing the following errors:

VirtualSMC: efend @ failed to find valid status (000000000000000E, 8), VirtualSMC EFI module is broken

ACPI Error: [_ON_] Namespace lookup failure, AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20160930/dswload-462)

ACPI Exception: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (20160930/psobject-318)

ACPI Exception: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, (SSDT: INSVDE) while loading table (20160938/tbxfload-319)

ACPI Error: 1 table load failures. 16 successful (201609930/tbxfload-342)

I also get an error regarding power management but I have the configuration set with MacBookPro15,2 which has the CPU I utilise.

I would further like to know how to dump a log of OpenCore, as I tried with the F keys, but I am unsuccessful. Perhaps, I have to enable a setting in my config.plist I am unaware of?

Last but not least, I would like to know whether OpenCore settings, such as Quirks are off by default rather than me specifying them all the time. So I can have a cleaner config.plist.

Particularly with SignedPolicy, is it YES (true) but default or NO (false)?

Thank you in advance!

config.plist

Schermata 2019-09-14 alle 12.55.34.png

Hi, I'm starting to prepare my opencore migration and I'd like to ask for some help:

1) Scanpolicy: I cannot use any DEVICE_LOCK bit because my nvme path is kind of different from what oc expects I guess --> PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x3)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Unit(0x1)/HD(6,GPT,...)

2) Section NVRAM is where I'm lost, can somebody give some hints, please?

I used mainly default options (only changed boot-args), but there is, at least, one problem. When nvram variables are 'inherited' from clover previous boots I can boot ok BUT when using clean nvram, opencore fails to (i guess) load nvidia webdrivers. I compared both boots logs and I found this difference:

00:704 00:000 OC: Setting NVRAM 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:UIScale - ignored, exists
00:704 00:000 OC: Setting NVRAM 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82:boot-args - Success
00:704 00:000 OC: Setting NVRAM 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82:csr-active-config - ignored, exists
00:704 00:000 OC: Setting NVRAM 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82:nvda_drv - ignored, exists
00:705 00:000 OC: Setting NVRAM 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82:prev-lang:kbd - Success

What values should I use in these 'ignored, exists' variables (nvda_drv and csr-active-config)?

And where can i read if i need to change/config section legacySchema?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, lottenow said:

Thanks for your reply. I actually managed to get everything working back again, following my Clover configuration and adapting it to OpenCore. I also used another online resource.

My specs: i7 8750H, UHD 630, RAM 16GB.

Working: Ethernet, Audio, iGPU.

So far, I do not want to configure the whole system as I am using this for testing purpose only on this laptop.

Nonetheless, I would like to dig deeper into my ACPI and the correct functioning with OpenCore.

Effectively, the system is working without any ACPI patches, as I have completely removed the ACPI folder as it kept on giving me problems with the ACPI samples I found on the vanilla guide, and I have only left the EC0 to EC from my previous post. Most of the ACPI is also changed automatically by WhateverGreen anyway. I also had to add all the "beta" args for Lilu, WhateverGreen and AppleALC for it to work properly on Catalina.

I can also see the Recovery option on the OpenCore Boot Menu, but it does not work as it does not load. It is not an issue as I would probably never use it anyway, and it is for testing only, so I am going to pass on this.

I am assuming Reset NVRAM option worked as I get a reboot with a black screen and I am back again in OpenCore.

I have not tried the BOOTCAMP Windows options, but as far I can understand, ACPI should not be automatically patched in Windows from OpenCore. Even so, I would never use OpenCore to boot to Windows.

I would like to know what could be causing the following errors:

I also get an error regarding power management but I have the configuration set with MacBookPro15,2 which has the CPU I utilise.

I would further like to know how to dump a log of OpenCore, as I tried with the F keys, but I am unsuccessful. Perhaps, I have to enable a setting in my config.plist I am unaware of?

Last but not least, I would like to know whether OpenCore settings, such as Quirks are off by default rather than me specifying them all the time. So I can have a cleaner config.plist.

Particularly with SignedPolicy, is it YES (true) but default or NO (false)?

Thank you in advance!

config.plist

Schermata 2019-09-14 alle 12.55.34.png

As I told you, you had disassembled ACPI with .dsl extension, they won’t work. Have to open it and save as ACPI Machine Language Binary.with .aml extension, the same in config.  I’m on desktop so I won’t be much of help, but I think without some add-ons-hotpatches SSDTs in your ACPI folder you won’t go too far. Check RehabMan’s repository or other sources. Replace VBoxHfs.efi driver with HfsPlus.efi could help with booting recovery problem. “Beta” arg is unnecessary, but I could be wrong.