OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,809 posts in this topic

@Sniki, please do not ignore this request:

Please enable RequestBootVarRouting. If that helps, we probably have a bug somewhere.

Also provide me with the latest EFI directory with 0.0.4 or 0.5.0 you had with all the recommendations.

Please enable RequestBootVarRouting. If that helps, we probably have a bug somewhere.

Also provide me with the latest EFI directory with 0.0.4 or 0.5.0 you had with all the recommendations.

1 hour ago, vit9696 said:

Thanks @vit9696

I will provide the data tomorrow as I'm about to sleep now.

EDIT: add my current config.plist

I'm having a strange issue on my Desktop hack, 

1. if power cable always on, just shutdown macOS, then do a cold boot, I'm able to see Apple Logo from the beginning to the end, everything works fine.

2. If power cable is plugged off and then plugged on and do a cold boot, i'm not able to see the Apple Logo, OC shows "Time Out" on the boot menu, wait for a while it brings me directly to the second boot stage and then login window, everything other than that works fine too. 

My hardware is in signature, OC was compared just now. (OC 0.04 same issue), but IIRC,  OC 0.03 with AptioMemoryFix.efi did not have this issue.

4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:opencore-version   DBG-050-2019-09-01

ProvideConsoleGop is set to YES.

I have attached the debug log of the 2 case, hope you guys take a look and give some advise. Thank you a lot. @vit9696 @Download-Fritz @Andrey1970

power_cable_always_on_coldboot.txt

power_cable_off_then_on_coldboot.txt

config.plist

Update: Problem solved, I reflashed BIOS firmware, and the problem gone. I think it was due to running ClearNVRAM too many times... 

Edited by justin

11 hours ago, vit9696 said:

@vit9696 here is the latest Release OC 0.0.4 + latest Release AppleSupportPkg 2.0.9 and RequestBootVarRouting enabled but this option didn't change anything at all whatsoever: OC.zip

Here is the screenshot done again:

20190901_130648.thumb.jpg.c32e109df65dd49e91e4f6d04be120fd.jpg

Here is also a short video if you can catch something else unusual in the logs:

Thanks,

Sniki

Edited by Sniki

22 hours ago, justin said:

EDIT: add my current config.plist

I'm having a strange issue on my Desktop hack, 

1. if power cable always on, just shutdown macOS, then do a cold boot, I'm able to see Apple Logo from the beginning to the end, everything works fine.

2. If power cable is plugged off and then plugged on and do a cold boot, i'm not able to see the Apple Logo, OC shows "Time Out" on the boot menu, wait for a while it brings me directly to the second boot stage and then login window, everything other than that works fine too. 

My hardware is in signature, OC was compared just now. (OC 0.04 same issue), but IIRC,  OC 0.03 with AptioMemoryFix.efi did not have this issue.

4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:opencore-version   DBG-050-2019-09-01

ProvideConsoleGop is set to YES.

I have attached the debug log of the 2 case, hope you guys take a look and give some advise. Thank you a lot. @vit9696 @Download-Fritz @Andrey1970

power_cable_always_on_coldboot.txt

power_cable_off_then_on_coldboot.txt

config.plist

CSM was totally Disabled, with following BIOS settings, Problem Solved:

Enable CSM and set both "Launch Storage OpROM Policy" "Launch PCI Device Priority" to UEFI only. 

IMG_2936.jpg

Edited by justin
  • Like 1

Hi, I'm currently new to OpenCore and I have finished setting up my config.plist. When I tried booting, it freezes here. May I ask why and any solution to this? I have attached the config below for further assistance.

My specs:

Dell Inspiron 13 7373

i7-8550u

16GB RAM.

SATA M.2 SSD - Currently booting from Internal SSD.

config.plist

E435B49A-CBFB-4608-AE9F-61CA8AB3A026_1_105_c.jpeg

22 hours ago, justin said:

CSM was totally Disabled, with following BIOS settings, Problem Solved:

Enable CSM and set both "Launch Storage OpROM Policy" "Launch PCI Device Priority" to UEFI only. 

IMG_2936.jpg

It seems that on some Asrock boards, CSM needs to be Enabled. At least that's how yours and my Deskmini build behaves.

My Deskmini won't even have proper graphics working on boot with CSM off (black screen, no signal from DP/HDMI).

@Sniki, when I've had similar problems, sometimes re-flashing the BIOS helps: it seems that after several crashes BIOS gets corrupted. (I was experiencing this with the X299 this past week and a re-flash got the system to boot.)

Edited by iGPU
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, maddie said:

It seems that on some Asrock boards, CSM needs to be Enabled. At least that's how yours and my Deskmini build behaves.

My Deskmini won't even have proper graphics working on boot with CSM off (black screen, no signal from DP/HDMI).

Reflashed BIOS firmware, problem gone. 

• Like 1

I'm having difficulty getting XCPM to work in OC.

The mobo is an ASUS Prime Deluxe X299 with MSR disabled, so XCPM should work natively. In the attached screen shots shown are the Clover activation (X86PlatFormPlugin present) and the lack of activation in OC. I also attached the PLUG file. I've tested this in both Mojave 10.14.6 and Catalina 10.15 ß7 and get the same results in both. OC is latest 0.5.0 release. Both Clover and OC have the same SSDTs, Patches, and KEXTs.

I've also verified XCPM activity in Clover and none in OC using various test commands in Terminal.

Updated Question (6-Sept): in Clover, the PluginType check box is essential for XCMP activation. If left un-checked, XCPM does not work. So what would be equivalent to use in OpenCore?

OC:

XCPM_verification_OC.jpg

Clover:

XCPM_verification_Clover.jpg

EDIT:
9 Sept 2019: SOLVED

Most on-line SSDT methods for trying to inject X86PlatformPlugin use the following code, which did not work on the X299 ASUS Prime Deluxe in OC.

Not working in OC:

Scope (_SB.PR00)
{
      Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
      {
            If (LNot (Arg2))
            {
                Return (Buffer (One)
                {
                     0x03                                   
                })
            }

Return (Package (0x02)
            {
                "plugin-type",
                One
            })
      }
}

The first line can also appear as Scope (_SB.CP00) or Scope (_SB.CPU0) depending upon the mobo. But none of these variations work the the X299 ASUS Prime Deluxe mobo.

For this mobo, I finally found that it required the following code: Scope (\_SB.SCK0.PR00).

Working in OC:

Scope (\_SB.SCK0.PR00)
    {
        Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
        {
            If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
            {
                Return (Buffer (One)
                {
                     0x03                                           
                })
            }

Return (Package (0x02)
            {
                "plugin-type", 
                One
            })
        }
    }

Attached is the SSDT file that works with OpenCore with the X299 ASUS Prime Deluxe, properly injecting X86PlatformPlugin (it will probably work with other X299 mobos too).  It will also work with Clover if you un-check the PluginType box, but why bother.

SSDT-Plug-X299.aml

Edited by iGPU
Problem solved.

I have been tinkering with OpenCore for some time now. I really like the project and where it is headed. Documentation is top notch as well. Big thanks to all developers for making this open source project available to all of us!

The machine I am using OpenCore on is generally stable. The only issue I have are freezes after wake. More details in the previous post here.

Same symptoms on Mojave and Catalina Beta.

I have noticed that the machine is pulling ~80W from the wall when it is frozen (it is pulling 30-40W when idle). Looks like something is spinning on the CPU?

Couple questions:

1. Is it possible that the following error has anything to do with the freezes?

00:337 00:001 OC: Driver VirtualSmc.efi at 4 is being loaded...
00:441 00:103 VSMC: VirtualSmc 2.1.0 loading...
00:442 00:001 VSMC: Initial key obtain failure - Security Violation
00:443 00:000 VSMC: Failed to remove key - Not Found
00:443 00:000 VSMC: Failed to create status - Security Violation

I am not seeing such errors when using VirtualSMC.efi with Clover if that indicates anything.

2. Is some configuration change or boot option required (apart from -v) to get kernel to print panic details to the screen or to the serial console (motherboard has working physical serial port)? I don't see any panic details on screen or on serial console when machine freezes. I am also not getting any messages when I toggle one of the Kernel / Quirks options that are required to boot the OS. Machine simply reboots without sending trace to screen or serial port. I can see standard kernel messages on serial port just fine when using "-v serialbaud=115200 serial=1 debug=0x12a" boot args.

Ignore the second question. Forgot to add -v option when testing serial output. I can see kernel panic details on serial port after toggling AppleXcpmExtraMsrs quirk, which is normally required, and using "-v keepsyms=1 kext-dev-mode=1 darkwake=10 serialbaud=115200 serial=1 debug=0x8" boot-args.

Edited by gndzer0

On 9/4/2019 at 11:55 PM, iGPU said:

I'm having difficulty getting XCPM to work in OC.

I'm using an SSDT-PLUG file that works in Clover (but maybe other settings are helping; I'm not certain). The mobo is an ASUS Prime Deluxe X299 with MSR disabled, so XCPM should work natively. In the attached screen shots shown are the Clover activation (X86PlatFormPlugin present) and the lack of activation in OC. I also attached the PLUG file. I've tested this in both Mojave 10.14.6 and Catalina 10.15 ß7 and get the same results in both. OC is latest 0.5.0 release. Both Clover and OC have the same SSDTs, Patches, and KEXTs.

I've also verified XCPM activity in Clover and none in OC using various test commands in Terminal.

Updated Question (6-Sept): in Clover, the PluginType check box is essential for XCMP activation. If left un-checked, XCPM does not work. So what would be equivalent to use in OpenCore?

SSDT-PLUG.aml

OC:

XCPM_verification_OC.jpg

Clover:

XCPM_verification_Clover.jpg

PluginType.jpg

upload your orig DSDT.aml 

47 minutes ago, gndzer0 said:

I have been tinkering with OpenCore for some time now. I really like the project and where it is headed. Documentation is top notch as well. Big thanks to all developers for making this open source project available to all of us!

The machine I am using OpenCore on is generally stable. The only issue I have are freezes after wake. More details in the previous post here.

Same symptoms on Mojave and Catalina Beta.

I have noticed that the machine is pulling ~80W from the wall when it is frozen (it is pulling 30-40W when idle). Looks like something is spinning on the CPU?

Couple questions:

1. Is it possible that the following error has anything to do with the freezes?

00:337 00:001 OC: Driver VirtualSmc.efi at 4 is being loaded...
00:441 00:103 VSMC: VirtualSmc 2.1.0 loading...
00:442 00:001 VSMC: Initial key obtain failure - Security Violation
00:443 00:000 VSMC: Failed to remove key - Not Found
00:443 00:000 VSMC: Failed to create status - Security Violation

I am not seeing such errors when using VirtualSMC.efi with Clover if that indicates anything.

2. Is some configuration change or boot option required (apart from -v) to get kernel to print panic details to the screen or to the serial console (motherboard has working physical serial port)? I don't see any panic details on screen or on serial console when machine freezes. I am also not getting any messages when I toggle one of the Kernel / Quirks options that are required to boot the OS. Machine simply reboots without sending trace to screen or serial port. I can see standard kernel messages on serial port just fine when using "-v serialbaud=115200 serial=1 debug=0x12a" boot args.

Turn on Settings-Sharing-Remote Login. when it freezes, ssh into your macOS, do some debug, such as "top -d1" to see cpu usage. "log show" to see some other stuff. many things you can do. 

5 minutes ago, justin said:

upload your orig DSDT.aml 

Turn on Settings-Sharing-Remote Login. when it freezes, ssh into your macOS, do some debug, such as "top -d1" to see cpu usage. "log show" to see some other stuff. many things you can do. 

Thank you for getting back to me!

Unfortunately kernel is totally locked up when the machine is frozen and the machine disappears from the network. When it happens at runtime (without initiating sleep), GUI is frozen, clock is not updating, etc. I am not able to break into kernel debugger by sending NMI either.

Unmodified DSDT and SSDTs captured on Linux:

DSDT.aml

SSDT1.aml

SSDT2.aml

SSDT3.aml

I discovered tonight that intermittent "freeze after wake" issue goes away when Booter/Quirks/DisableVariableWrite is set to True.

NVRAM writes generally work. They seem to always work after reboot (I can change startup disk, etc.). After sleep/wake cycle, or when entering sleep mode they often don't work and cause the machine to freeze.

Is there a way to log NVRAM write attempts to confirm that for sure?

I suspect this is something that's not easily fixable and specific to this particular Dell motherboard. However, if there is a slight chance this could be fixed, I would be more than happy to help by providing more details, testing source code changes and so on.

14 hours ago, vit9696 said:

@gndzer0, no code is currently written, but you can try to add serial logging here: https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleSupportPkg/blob/master/Platform/FwRuntimeServices/UefiRuntimeServices.c.

Your issue might be related to TSC syncing, given the symptoms. Are you aware of https://github.com/RehabMan/VoodooTSCSync?

Thanks @vit9696

VoodooTSCSync doesn't make any difference unfortunately. I tried it earlier and just tried it again to confirm. I am still experiencing freezes.

I will try adding serial logging after I figure out how to get OpenCore to log correctly to serial port. For some reason all I get is gibberish:

$ sudo picocom --baud 115200 /dev/ttyS0
picocom v2.2

port is        : /dev/ttyS0
flowcontrol    : none
baudrate is    : 115200
parity is      : none
databits are   : 8
stopbits are   : 1
escape is      : C-a
local echo is  : no
noinit is      : no
noreset is     : no
nolock is      : no
send_cmd is    : sz -vv
receive_cmd is : rz -vv -E
imap is        :
omap is        :
emap is        : crcrlf,delbs,

Type [C-a] [C-h] to see available commands

Terminal ready
0    ut/.
         0  a- 3
                0 U InC @
                         0 UeA dlTo
                                     0 P e :1
                                             0 UnMe43
                                                      0 Pd m
0 Pec26H
        0 Ue H3
               0 Ce H
                      0 Ur
                           0  ut
                                0  ne-c
                                       0   nn lU
0 :gn nlsp
           0  ga
                0  r
                    0  lfbg
                           1 Dlessd
                                   0 DDr  o.
                                            2 rio2

I tried with onboard serial port as well as with USB serial adapter on the receiving end. I am able to receive macOS kernel messages over the same connection just fine.

I looked carefully at the docs and I think there is a typo in the serial port logging section. I think the following sentence:

"Connect motherboard TX to USB UART GND, and motherboard GND to USB UART RX."

should be changed to:

"Connect motherboard TX to USB UART RX, and motherboard GND to USB UART GND."

I put SSDT-PLNF.aml to EFI/OC/ACPI

OpenCore v 0 5.0  but didn't appear brightness slider in system preference/display

how to solve this on OpenCore v 0.5.0.  I m running Mojave 10.14.6

Edited by anmool

9 hours ago, gndzer0 said:

Thanks @vit9696

VoodooTSCSync doesn't make any difference unfortunately. I tried it earlier and just tried it again to confirm. I am still experiencing freezes.

I will try adding serial logging after I figure out how to get OpenCore to log correctly to serial port. For some reason all I get is gibberish:

$ sudo picocom --baud 115200 /dev/ttyS0
picocom v2.2

port is        : /dev/ttyS0
flowcontrol    : none
baudrate is    : 115200
parity is      : none
databits are   : 8
stopbits are   : 1
escape is      : C-a
local echo is  : no
noinit is      : no
noreset is     : no
nolock is      : no
send_cmd is    : sz -vv
receive_cmd is : rz -vv -E
imap is        :
omap is        :
emap is        : crcrlf,delbs,

Type [C-a] [C-h] to see available commands

Terminal ready
0    ut/.
         0  a- 3
                0 U InC @
                         0 UeA dlTo
                                     0 P e :1
                                             0 UnMe43
                                                      0 Pd m
0 Pec26H
        0 Ue H3
               0 Ce H
                      0 Ur
                           0  ut
                                0  ne-c
                                       0   nn lU
0 :gn nlsp
           0  ga
                0  r
                    0  lfbg
                           1 Dlessd
                                   0 DDr  o.
                                            2 rio2

I tried with onboard serial port as well as with USB serial adapter on the receiving end. I am able to receive macOS kernel messages over the same connection just fine.

I looked carefully at the docs and I think there is a typo in the serial port logging section. I think the following sentence:

"Connect motherboard TX to USB UART GND, and motherboard GND to USB UART RX."

should be changed to:

"Connect motherboard TX to USB UART RX, and motherboard GND to USB UART GND."

Hmmm, this is strange. I did not have any issues with XNU and OC at the same time as long as the cable length was fine. You should note, however, that OpenCore currently does not do serial initialisation.

https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/482

As for connection, this is strange. Classical null-modem connection (as you described) is what you normally need, but I am pretty sure it did not work with my adapter. I heard that many boards mislabel UART pins, and it may well be the case that mine did it too. I should ask someone to recheck and probably update with a note that on some boards the pins are swapped.

Hi @devs

I have this problem with new 0.05 feature PollAppleHotKey with my system in signature, if I set it to true my system hangs in boot menu as you can see in my picture (I can't select anything else of ctrl/alt/del to reboot after error message)

1840269493_ScreenShot2019-09-08at11_43_16AM.thumb.png.550d895768be1470e4c13421985b0338.png

setting it to false system starts fine as usual

I have same problem using or not UsbKbDxe.efi driver and AllowNvramReset to to true or to false

Any help?

Thank you