OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,805 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Enrize said:

Hmm, i did exactly like you said but there is still no nvram.plist in my EFI folder...any ideas what might prevent it to work? I use 0.4 build.

Oh... my. Please DO NOT say these fuzzy words when you’re reporting something. No body know what you’ve actually done. 

Did you copy the LogoutHook folder to your HOME dir?

Did you use Tab on your keyboard to fill the path while trying to run the ‘sudo defaults write’ command?

Here are the steps to debug your issue:

1. Run ‘sudo defaults read com.apple.loginwindow LogoutHook’

2. You will see the path of LogoutHook.command, does the path exist?

3.You can always dry run the command like this in your Terminal.app first: ~/LogoutHook/LogoutHook.command, did you see any error? Did you make sure it is executable by running chmod +x LogoutHook.command? If no error, you should be able to see some generated files, including nvram.plist (but not in EFI, why not in EFI? Because in this case the command is run by a user, a user is not able to mount EFI with out sudo command, but it is enough to test this command to see if it generates nvram.plist correctly. ) if you see it, you can them run the command as mentioned in README( in this case, the command will be tun by macOS hook, and it is able to mount your EFI partition)

Finally, please always provide screenshots. 

Edited by justin

LogoutHook has nothing to do with Emulated NVRAM, if you look inside into the code, the only thing this command does is to save your custom nvram items to nvram.plist, so opencore can restore your custom nvram items next boot.

For Emulated NVRAM, you need VariableRuntimeDxe.efi compiled from audk. Please search this thread for how to do that (my post)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, justin said:

This is because vboxHFS.efi sometimes is extremely slow, if you wait for few minutes it will finally boot your recovery.

HFSPlus.efi is much faster.

AvoidHighAlloc  to Yes could also fix recovery boot failure on some motherboard, that’s why i suggested both, but it seems you don’t need this option for your motherboard. 

See vboxHFS.efi issue here: https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/399

The issue closed as not a bug.

23 hours ago, justin said:

LogoutHook has nothing to do with Emulated NVRAM, if you look inside into the code, the only thing this command does is to save your custom nvram items to nvram.plist, so opencore can restore your custom nvram items next boot.

For Emulated NVRAM, you need VariableRuntimeDxe.efi compiled from audk. Please search this thread for how to do that (my post)

Q1. So is it then best to use both LogoutHook and VariableRuntimeDxe.efi simultaneously?

I've got LogoutHook working with OC 0.0.4 on a Z390 GB Designare mobo on Mojave 10.14.6. The nvram.plist file is properly created in the EFI drive root directory.

Q2. Does the nvram.mojave file need to remain in the EFI drive root directory once nvram.plist is created?

Edited by iGPU

12 hours ago, iGPU said:

Q1. So is it then best to use both LogoutHook and VariableRuntimeDxe.efi simultaneously?

I've got LogoutHook working with OC 0.0.4 on a Z390 GB Designare mobo on Mojave 10.14.6. The nvram.plist file is properly created in the EFI drive root directory.

Q2. Does the nvram.mojave file need to remain in the EFI drive root directory once nvram.plist is created?

For Q1, if I understand correctly, for NVRAM to work correctly on Z390 platforms, both VariableRuntimeDxe.efi and LogoutHook script is needed. The LogoutHook saves the current NVRAM key value pairs into a plist file, and when boot up VariableRuntimeDxe loads this plist back to the NVRAM.

Not exactly.

VariableRuntimeDxe creates a protocol working with variables but in RAM instead of NVRAM. Loaded system can use them but after shutdown all variables will be lost. For this purpose LogoutHook will save some part of the variables set into the file nvram.plist. It is not full list but mostly all needed.

At computer start one must read the file to fill new RAM with this variables. It is Clover or OpenCore itself, not efi driver.

• Like 3

GigaByte Z390 UD over here.

The Logouthook does not create a nvram.plist on my EFI drive.

I enabled the hook:

$ sudo defaults read com.apple.loginwindow LogoutHook
/Users/yooouuri/Documents/LogoutHook.command

When I run the hook from the console, I'm getting a lot of errors:

$ ./LogoutHook.command
nvram: Error getting variable - '4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:boot-path': (iokit/common) data was not found
nvram.mojave: Error getting variable - '8BE4DF61-93CA-11D2-AA0D-00E098032B8C:Boot0080': (iokit/common) data was not found
File Doesn't Exist, Will Create: ./nvram.plist
nvram.mojave: Error getting variable - '8BE4DF61-93CA-11D2-AA0D-00E098032B8C:BootCurrent': (iokit/common) data was not found
nvram.mojave: Error getting variable - '8BE4DF61-93CA-11D2-AA0D-00E098032B8C:BootNext': (iokit/common) data was not found
nvram.mojave: Error getting variable - '8BE4DF61-93CA-11D2-AA0D-00E098032B8C:Boot0081': (iokit/common) data was not found
nvram.mojave: Error getting variable - '8BE4DF61-93CA-11D2-AA0D-00E098032B8C:Boot0082': (iokit/common) data was not found
nvram.mojave: Error getting variable - '8BE4DF61-93CA-11D2-AA0D-00E098032B8C:Boot0083': (iokit/common) data was not found
nvram.mojave: Error getting variable - '4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:boot-path': (iokit/common) data was not found
Fatal error: Illegal UUID or unknown loader!

But it created a folder with a nvram.plist.

Loaded drivers: VariableRuntimeDxe, AptioMemoryFix. Enabled LegacyEnable in my config.plist

How can I make the Logouthook working properly?

2 hours ago, yooouuridafdssdfs said:

GigaByte Z390 UD over here.

The Logouthook does not create a nvram.plist on my EFI drive.

I enabled the hook:

$ sudo defaults read com.apple.loginwindow LogoutHook
/Users/yooouuri/Documents/LogoutHook.command

When I run the hook from the console, I'm getting a lot of errors:

$ ./LogoutHook.command
nvram: Error getting variable - '4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:boot-path': (iokit/common) data was not found
nvram.mojave: Error getting variable - '8BE4DF61-93CA-11D2-AA0D-00E098032B8C:Boot0080': (iokit/common) data was not found
File Doesn't Exist, Will Create: ./nvram.plist
nvram.mojave: Error getting variable - '8BE4DF61-93CA-11D2-AA0D-00E098032B8C:BootCurrent': (iokit/common) data was not found
nvram.mojave: Error getting variable - '8BE4DF61-93CA-11D2-AA0D-00E098032B8C:BootNext': (iokit/common) data was not found
nvram.mojave: Error getting variable - '8BE4DF61-93CA-11D2-AA0D-00E098032B8C:Boot0081': (iokit/common) data was not found
nvram.mojave: Error getting variable - '8BE4DF61-93CA-11D2-AA0D-00E098032B8C:Boot0082': (iokit/common) data was not found
nvram.mojave: Error getting variable - '8BE4DF61-93CA-11D2-AA0D-00E098032B8C:Boot0083': (iokit/common) data was not found
nvram.mojave: Error getting variable - '4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:boot-path': (iokit/common) data was not found
Fatal error: Illegal UUID or unknown loader!

But it created a folder with a nvram.plist.

Loaded drivers: VariableRuntimeDxe, AptioMemoryFix. Enabled LegacyEnable in my config.plist

How can I make the Logouthook working properly?

Read configuration.pdf, keywords:

ExposeSensitiveData

boot-path

3. LegacyEnable

On 7/30/2019 at 11:09 AM, Slice said:

The issue closed as not a bug.

I have no idea what Vit9696 thinks, priority:low? Lol

On 7/31/2019 at 4:06 AM, iGPU said:

Q1 was answered by Slice

Q2 nvram.mojave was meant for the /usr/sbin/nvram which does not support -x args, e.g. on older macOS. If you are running Mojave already, this file is most likely not needed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justin said:

Read configuration.pdf, keywords:

ExposeSensitiveData

boot-path

3. LegacyEnable

Thanks for your help!

Now I got 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:boot-path :thumbsup_anim:, but Boot0080 BootNext etc data not found when I run the Logouthook...

How can I get those variables?

The LogoutHook created a nvram.plist on my EFI partition, so I'm getting there

42 minutes ago, yooouuridafdssdfs said:

Thanks for your help!

Now I got 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:boot-path :thumbsup_anim:, but Boot0080 BootNext etc data not found when I run the Logouthook...

If you don't have BootXXXX then you don't bother. They are on the way to ship, current nvram.plist is enough to make things work. 

1 hour ago, yooouuridafdssdfs said:

Thanks for your help!

use Startup Disk an assign macOS as your startup disk in System Preferences before running LogoutHook to generate the nvram.plist.

Hi guys,

i'm trying to find where OpenCore create a log file but i can't. According to documentation it shoud be in the EFI root but i don't have it so i'm thinking that i've disabled it in the OpenCore config file. Which are the variables i should check to be sure OpenCore is writing a log ?

When i switch on the laptop before OpenCore boot menu appears i can see two lines but can't read them because they disappear too fast and that's why i want to enable logs.

Could someone help me ?

Thanks

Mattia

Edited by tmbt

Has anyone installed the 10.14.6 Supplemental Update? Link: http://osxdaily.com/2019/08/01/supplemental-update-for-macos-mojave-10-14-6-released/

I have tried to update it but when it gets into the installer, just a few seconds in, the computer just reboots, so I can't get the update installed and stuck with the installer on OpenCore's boot menu.

I had to switch back to a Clover backup that I had on a USB to finish the update. After that, I can boot into macOS with OpenCore again.

Did anyone have the same problem?

2 minutes ago, maddie said:

Has anyone installed the 10.14.6 Supplemental Update? Link: http://osxdaily.com/2019/08/01/supplemental-update-for-macos-mojave-10-14-6-released/

I have tried to update it but when it gets into the installer, just a few seconds in, the computer just reboots, so I can't get the update installed and stuck with the installer on OpenCore's boot menu.

I had to switch back to a Clover backup that I had on a USB to finish the update. After that, I can boot into macOS with OpenCore again.

Did anyone have the same problem?

Everything is fine with both rigs in signature. Updated with OpenCore without any problems. 

8 minutes ago, vandroiy2012 said:

Everything is fine with both rigs in signature. Updated with OpenCore without any problems. 

Hmm, then it must be the problem with this rig I have, which is an Asrock Deskmini 310 with i7-8700. It always had some problem somehow, and it works okay enough to not have me look into it.

I'll test on my other two rigs and report back. Thanks!

2 hours ago, tmbt said:

Hi guys,

i'm trying to find where OpenCore create a log file but i can't. According to documentation it shoud be in the EFI root but i don't have it so i'm thinking that i've disabled it in the OpenCore config file. Which are the variables i should check to be sure OpenCore is writing a log ?

When i switch on the laptop before OpenCore boot menu appears i can see two lines but can't read them because they disappear too fast and that's why i want to enable logs.

Could someone help me ?

Thanks

Mattia

see here

I'm on desktop Haswell system and it seems I have embedded controller of PNP0C09 type.

Embeded.png.4a0d9d46c8c48825bcf61ab16ef02d46.png

Did I understood well, and my SSDT-EC.aml should look like this?

GOT_EC.png.b133e08f2dd9985f3bd8f763612bcc2d.png

or just use one of this methods and then add power to my USB legacy kext ? Please some hints.

Edited by hardcorehenry