OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,805 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, vandroiy2012 said:

Build latest OpenCore

I did

Download and compiled latest (4 hours ago)

Same error.

sorry, never mind..it is solved by now

Edited by Guest

I'm currently trying to  set up Opencore on my Intel NUC5i5 (Broadwell CPU)  but boot fails immediately before BootPicker with the following message in opencore.log:

01:203 00:002 Performing OcScanForBootEntries...
01:206 00:002 OCB: Found 8 potentially bootable filesystems
01:208 00:002 OCBP: Apfs Volume Info is missing
01:211 00:002 OCBP: Blessed file is missing
01:213 00:002 OCBP: Blessed folder is missing
01:215 00:002 OCBP: Predefined <nil> \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi is missing - Not Found
01:218 00:002 OCBP: Predefined <nil> \EFI\APPLE\X64\BOOT.EFI is missing - Not Found
01:224 00:006 OCBP: Predefined <nil> \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI was found
01:227 00:002 OCB: Filesystem 0 (9C4B4B98) named BOOT (Success) has 1 entries
01:229 00:002 OCBP: Apfs Volume Info is missing
01:231 00:002 OCBP: Blessed file is missing
01:234 00:002 OCBP: Blessed folder is missing
01:236 00:002 OCBP: Predefined <nil> \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi is missing - Not Found
01:239 00:002 OCBP: Predefined <nil> \EFI\APPLE\X64\BOOT.EFI is missing - Not Found
01:241 00:002 OCBP: Predefined <nil> \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI was found
ASSERT [OpenCore] /Users/dave/audk/MdePkg/Library/BaseLib/String.c(167): ((UINTN) String & 0x00000001) == 0

Onscreen it says 'Halting on critical error' with no further progress. I don't think it's a  hardware issue as the  nuc boots fine with Clover. Does anyone have any ideas?

Edited by dgsga

7 hours ago, netgear said:

I have studied a new system of Start / Partitioning on Single Disk: everything can be kept natively with a behavior equal to that of the separate Discs. It makes no difference if used with Clover or OpenCore.

-

Multi EFI

https://www.macos86.it/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1108

-

EFI_Multi.JPG

not exactly, clover support only one esp to boot mac/recovery/windows, but opencore didn't, opencore seems need seperate esp for every operating system. and before opencore, I've used single esp with clover for years.

10 hours ago, vit9696 said:

@steve3d, EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.efi is the standard path for loading UEFI operating systems that is defined in UEFI spec. Since OpenCore currently does not support loading with bcfg (Driver####) option on many systems, we use BOOTx64.efi for OpenCore.efi to load. Windows uses the same boot file, BOOTx64.efi, and for obvious reasons it cannot live together with OpenCore until we provide a different loading route. We will fix it some day, but currently that is the case.

A potential temporary workaround might be to put put Windows bootloader BOOTx64.efi (or bootmgfw.efi, if it was removed) to OC/Tools, and describe it there. We did not check it, but it may work.

As for CPU, you will have to study your ACPI stack.

I've tried you way, add bootmgfw.efi to an tool entry, then press the number of the tool entry, it immediately give's me a critical error, and it still won't boot.

@dgsga I have just added a bunch of new ASSERT calls where we suspect that issue to happen. Would you please retest and see whether the last line of the log changes? The new calls will not fix your booting issue, but help us to better locate the issue. Thanks in advance.

11 hours ago, vit9696 said:

@steve3d, yeah, makes sense. Tools are protected from accessing filesystem, thus it failed. I think your best option is to use a spare EFI partition at the moment.

well, I think this might be  a huge problem, for user's who install multiple operation system into different disk, this might be easy, but for many people like me, we only have one ssd, so we would install mac/windows into the same ssd drive, then normal gui install will only have one esp, there is no easy way to create multiple esp and make windows install and use an separate esp.

• Like 1

@steve3d, yes, I can imagine. This kind of setup is not really supported by Microsoft, so it is quite hacky and problematic in the first place. To workaround it we plan to suggest the following:

bcfg driver add 0 fs0:\EFI\OC\OpenCore.efi OpenCore

Afterwards BOOTx64.efi from OpenCore is replaced with Windows BOOTx64.efi, just as it should.

The only issue with this approach is that with the current state of the code it does not work on some computers and prevents them from booting, so you will have to remove OpenCore.efi, delete the driver via bcfg driver rm 0, and recover it back. You can try this already in case a potential bug like this does not scare you (on a laptop it may require physical disk disassembly, for example).

Curiously since yesterday and I do not know the reason does not start with the virtualsmc only with the fake and I can only enter my triple boot ssd mojav hdd catalina ssd windows in catalina

Edited by Allan

Hello,

First of all thanks to all of you, thanks to your efforts we were taking off in the hackintosh experience.
vit9696, allow me, I do not have your talent to default of envy, why not try to work with the team of Clover to allay it even if I reconne qu'opencorepkg is an interesting idea. Why does not bring your talents together ??

Thanks

@seyd46

Firstly, I must state that we try to provide best experience with our project infrastructure, documentation, and code quality. Everybody is welcome to follow our guidelines and openly contribute to Acidanthera to achieve results with optimal practices. Unification and advanced design is what many macOS-related projects in the wild lack, and we believe that our actions are a great advantage and in fact step forward for everyone.

Secondly, you may not realise it, but English-speaking community is quite disconnected from the actual Clover development. After projectosx died, most of development and testing happens primarily on AppleLife, and members of Acidanthera, including @Download-Fritz, @lvs1974@PMheart, @Rodion2010, and in fact myself provided a substantial amount of code patches to Clover over the past years. The level of testing and validation we did should also not be underestimated.

Thirdly, the need to create a new bootloader has been discussed for several years after Clover itself got completed. For instance, the latest discussion before OpenCore active development started, we were considering the use of Clover codebase as a base as discussed in this thread. For several reasons it was decided to pick early OpenCore codebase, but they are out of the scope of this discussion.

Last but not least, despite Acidanthera being driven by mostly people making commits at the moment, many Clover project members, including @Slice, for long while are members of Acidanthera, and that means they either support some parts of the codebase or have their own projects, or at the very least have full control on the end product. Currently it is a bit of the transition period, and it will have to be lived with.

Hopefully I answered this question descriptively enough to not have to write it once more =)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

42 minutes ago, vit9696 said:

@seyd46

Firstly, I must state that we try to provide best experience with our project infrastructure, documentation, and code quality. Everybody is welcome to follow our guidelines and openly contribute to Acidanthera to achieve results with optimal practices. Unification and advanced design is what many macOS-related projects in the wild lack, and we believe that our actions are a great advantage and in fact step forward for everyone.

Secondly, you may not realise it, but English-speaking community is quite disconnected from the actual Clover development. After projectosx died, most of development and testing happens primarily on AppleLife, and members of Acidanthera, including @Download-Fritz, @lvs1974@PMheart, @Rodion2010, and in fact myself provided a substantial amount of code patches to Clover over the past years. The level of testing and validation we did should also not be underestimated.

Thirdly, the need to create a new bootloader has been discussed for several years after Clover itself got completed. For instance, the latest discussion before OpenCore active development started, we were considering the use of Clover codebase as a base as discussed in this thread. For several reasons it was decided to pick early OpenCore codebase, but they are out of the scope of this discussion.

Last but not least, despite Acidanthera being driven by mostly people making commits at the moment, many Clover project members, including @Slice, for long while are members of Acidanthera, and that means they either support some parts of the codebase or have their own projects, or at the very least have full control on the end product. Currently it is a bit of the transition period, and it will have to be lived with.

Hopefully I answered this question descriptively enough to not have to write it once more =)

When i boot to windows with OpenCore,, my audio controller is not work. There are exclamation mark in device manager for LPC and HDA controller. But if i boot from Windows Boot Manager (direct from bios), then there are no issue at all.

21 minutes ago, Andres ZeroCross said:

When i boot to windows with OpenCore,, my audio controller is not work. There are exclamation mark in device manager for LPC and HDA controller. But if i boot from Windows Boot Manager (direct from bios), then there are no issue at all.

If you have ACPI patches in OC delete them. 

Edited by vandroiy2012

10 minutes ago, Andres ZeroCross said:

But enable status = no. is it really important to delete??

Do you have patched DSDT or SSDT with HDEF patches or similar? This could be a problem. 

Edited by vandroiy2012

22 hours ago, Download-Fritz said:

@dgsga I have just added a bunch of new ASSERT calls where we suspect that issue to happen. Would you please retest and see whether the last line of the log changes? The new calls will not fix your booting issue, but help us to better locate the issue. Thanks in advance.

@Download-Fritz

Thanks for responding to my message. I eventually fixed the macOS boot issue by selecting the IgnoreInvalidFlexRatio UEFI quirk. Would it still help with development if I post my debug log now things are working?

2 hours ago, vandroiy2012 said:

Do you have patched DSDT or SSDT with HDEF patches or similar? This could be a problem. 

If my DSDT make problem, then i should get problem too with CLOVER bootloader. But i don't get problem with CLOVER if i boot to Windows. All my patch is in DSDT

50 minutes ago, Andres ZeroCross said:

If my DSDT make problem, then i should get problem too with CLOVER bootloader. But i don't get problem with CLOVER if i boot to Windows. All my patch is in DSDT

One difference is that Clover handles ACPI modifications to macOS *ONLY*, while OC applies to all OS.

You have to ensure the compatibility with every OS booted.

Edited by PMheart
  • Like 3