Successful Installation of macOS Monterey 12.0.1 with Clover 5142 Bootloader

cmn699

12 posts in this topic

After a lot of failures I was able to install macOS Monterey on my system which was already running macOS Big Sur 11.6.1, Windows 10 and Mint 20.1 from Separate SSDs with Clover bootloader 5125.

My hardware for this PC : Intel 6 Series GA-H61M-HD2 LGA1155 Motherboard  and Intel i3-3245 Ivy Bridge CPU  and  nVidia GEF GT710 PCIE Graphics and  Fenvi FV-T919 PCIE Wifi and BT.

I will be happy to help anyone wit the same Hardware anyway I can.

Spoiler

1.AboutThis Mac Overview.png

2.System Report.png

3.System Report.png

1.MIT.jpg

2.System Information BIOS Version.jpg

3.Sytem info _SATA Ports.jpg

4.BIOS  Features Boot Options Hackintosh .jpg

5.BIOS Features for Hackintosh Monterey .jpg

6.Peripherals.jpg

7.Peripherals_USB Installer Disk .jpg

8.BIOS Power Management for Monterey.jpg

9.Save and Exit F10 Enter .jpg

• Like 3

Thank you Chris1111 for your valuable suggestions for the Nvidia Gt710 Graphic card kext problem. I had tried your Kernel patcher on another PC with nVidia Gt 710 for the same problem on macOS BigSur and I had an immediate KP after that. I did not really tie the two as cause and effect,  but ended up reinstalling the system from an SDD clone I had made and did not report the issue then. Unfortunately this time it happed again and I have taken a screen shot to upload for any advice you may have about the cause of the KP and troubleshoot if any to resuscitate that system disk. Once again I had a Clone of that disk before the KP and I am sending this response from that Monterey System with unresolved Video acceleration  from the same PC. I noted you had originally suggested the Kernel Patcher for macOS Big Sur with nVidia Gt 710. I had use the latest version this time. 

KP after Kepler patch.jpg

6 hours ago, cmn699 said:

Thank you Chris1111 for your valuable suggestions for the Nvidia Gt710 Graphic card kext problem. I had tried your Kernel patcher on another PC with nVidia Gt 710 for the same problem on macOS BigSur and I had an immediate KP after that. I did not really tie the two as cause and effect,  but ended up reinstalling the system from an SDD clone I had made and did not report the issue then. Unfortunately this time it happed again and I have taken a screen shot to upload for any advice you may have about the cause of the KP and troubleshoot if any to resuscitate that system disk. Once again I had a Clone of that disk before the KP and I am sending this response from that Monterey System with unresolved Video acceleration  from the same PC. I noted you had originally suggested the Kernel Patcher for macOS Big Sur with nVidia Gt 710. I had use the latest version this time. 

KP after Kepler patch.jpg

This is for Monterey not for big sur, I never said to using on Big Sur

Edited by chris1111
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chris1111 said:

I think we had a little bit of communication problem because  my very brief response posted earlier would have given you the impression that I might have selected the latest Kepler Patch (Version 2) for macOS Big Sur. What I meant to say was that, I had used the earlier version of the patch on Big Sur hoping to get full acceleration from an nividia unsupported GT 710 for that version of macOS ( It had full support until Mojave or Catalina for that card on my older MoBos and CPUs) and when I had the KP, I attributed to some mistakes I might have made but failed to document with screen captures and report. This time , for Monterey,  I used all the steps listed in your site including Disabling Secure Boot in the BIOS (which was already like that) Disabling Gate Keeper through System Preferences>Security and Privacy> Unlock (the padlock) with Password> select radio button of Allow apps downloaded from "Anywhere" and Lock On, and editing CLOVER>config.Plist> Rt Variables>CsrActiveConfig   0x67 to 0xFEF and saving before launching Kepler patch Latest version and following the steps prompted by the Excellent Patcher.  I am willing to try it again as I have a cloned system disk to clone it back if that will give me a chance to find what missteps I am making for a result different from what you have demonstrated in the attached images. I apologize if I had come across of blaming you for the problem. I never meant it. I was giving an actual report of what happened. Thank you for your help. I have followed your posts many times and used your techniques and software with great benefits.😀

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hervé said:

I think you're mistaken; there is no kernel patcher that will solve your lack of graphics support for nVidia (Kepler) Cardin Monterey. It's just that Apple dropped those cards so Monterey has no native drivers for them. You can only restore graphics support/acceleration by patching the OS (not the kernel) and adding the necessary drivers & frameworks that are missing. Tools such as OCLP will do that. Failing that, change your graphics card by a supported AMD model.

I was aware of the lack of support for this card natively by macOS Monterey and Nvidia's lack of interest to provide the needed kexts for its use on Intel MoBos and CPUs to run Macs after Mojave. After being a long time user of Clover, I am not quite confident in switching to OC that requires some self study like I had to do with Clover once its predecessors became obsolete.  I thank you for you guidance and take that as another push to try OC more seriously.😀 

14 hours ago, chris1111 said:

Thank you very much Mr. Chris 1111. With your fantastic GeForce Kepler patch I was able to achieve full video acceleration thanks to the successful installation of missing Nvidia Kext for my Nvidia Gt710. 🙏
This time,  to avoid any confusions from other OS disks, I disconnected the Windows and Linux SDDs and left only the macOSMonterey System Disk. Since my GA-H61MHD2 MoBo has no option  to Turn ON/OFF for Secure Boot in its UEFI BIOS Interface, I could not select anything to Disable that. But I had Disabled the Gate Keeper and changed Car-active-config to the suggested value 0x0f0f to effect SIP to AllowUntrusted kexts, Allow UnrestrictedFS, AllowTask for PID, Allow Kernel Debugger, Allow Unrestricted Dtrace, Allow Unrestricted NVRAM, Allow Device Configuration, Allow Any Recovery OS, Allow Unapproved Kexts, Allow Executable Policy Override and Allow-non-authenticated Root.This time the reboot after running the patcher went smoothly to the Monterey Desktop. I was delighted to see the changes on System Report as shown in the attached Composite image of BEFOR and After the patch.

Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 8.08.03 PM.png

Edited by cmn699
add the right image
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, cmn699 said:

Thank you very much Mr. Chris 1111. With your fantastic GeForce Kepler patch I was able to achieve full video acceleration thanks to the successful installation of missing Nvidia Kext for my Nvidia Gt710. 🙏
This time,  to avoid any confusions from other OS disks, I disconnected the Windows and Linux SDDs and left only the macOSMonterey System Disk. Since my GA-H61MHD2 MoBo has no option  to Turn ON/OFF for Secure Boot in its UEFI BIOS Interface, I could not select anything to Disable that. But I had Disabled the Gate Keeper and changed Car-active-config to the suggested value 0x0f0f to effect SIP to AllowUntrusted kexts, Allow UnrestrictedFS, AllowTask for PID, Allow Kernel Debugger, Allow Unrestricted Dtrace, Allow Unrestricted NVRAM, Allow Device Configuration, Allow Any Recovery OS, Allow Unapproved Kexts, Allow Executable Policy Override and Allow-non-authenticated Root.This time the reboot after running the patcher went smoothly to the Monterey Desktop. I was delighted to see the changes on System Report as shown in the attached Composite image of BEFOR and After the patch.

Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 8.08.03 PM.png

Patience gives good results! Congrats

• Like 1

19 hours ago, chris1111 said:

Patience gives good results! Congrats

Patience and re-reading of all the instructions by the author of the software to the very letter  and anything not understood to be researched BEFORE pointing the index finger at the software for any failure but point thumb to oneself! 

Now some details of why it caused the Panic in my case during reboot as it might help others reporting events as software failure instead of self inflicted events by missing or overlooking instructions. 

• BEFORE launching the GeForce Kepler patch V2 for Monterey to solve  Nvidia GT Graphics card low resolution, make sure to reboot and go to BIOS to ensure ALL SETTINGS are good to boot Clover.
  • BEFORE launching the GeForce Kepler patch, mount your Monterey's System Disks's EFI using any method you know. In my case I used Clover Configurator Latest  version. This is to locate your config.plist inside EFI>CLOVER>Config.plist and open it with an editor(I used Clover Configurator).
  • In Config.plist go to Gui section (in CC Global it is in the LEFT column 7th from the top) and look in the Hide Volume section ( Top Right in CCG) and Unhide the  Recovery  if you have hidden Recovery Partition (I always hide Recovery to reduce the clutter in Clover Boot Menu screen). To unhide,  select Recovery and click(-) minus sign in CCG.) This is needed to launch Recovery from Clover Boot Manager Screen in the next step, to complete 2 important steps emphasized in the Readme file of GeForce Kepler Patcher, namely, the  terminal commands
    • csrutil  disable 
    • csrutil authenticated-root disable 
  • After editing config.plist and saving, return to the Desktop to Disable Gate Keeper through System Preferences >Security & Privacy as shown with image in my earlier post or simply run a terminal command launching Terminal from Applications >Utilities>Terminal  : sudo spctl --assess --master-disasble  followed by your password if no errors then Gate Keeper will be Disabled allowing you to use non-apple software as in our present case.
  • Now reboot your computer to reach Clover Boot Manager screen and select Recovery Icon (not your Preboot ..Monterey) to boot until it reaches the familiar install screen.There choose Utilities (not Disk Utility) >Terminal to type in the csrutil  disable and csrutil authenticated-root disable  commands one after the other without any errors. Then Reboot to Clover Boot Manager>
  • This time you choose Your Montery Preboot to reach its Login Screen and desktop to find the successful installation of missing kexts for your old Nvidia GT 710 Graphics card. 

I once again thank Chris1111 for his excellent help. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm afraid to try again but you give me some hope.

I'm still on Catalina and tried multiple times to create a clean install of Monterey, gave up after a lot of troubleshooting and now we're a few months later.

The main issue I have is that Monterey always decides to continue installation on Preboot and I believe it was the same with Big Sur. I don't even dare to try upgrading my perfectly working Catalina install.

Clover 5146 here but I think I tried with 5142. Could you perhaps upload your config for comparison? Make sure to remove the serials though!

I truly believe it's a small tweak because the installation worked, just never to the proper volume. It's bootable but not the proper way to run OS X.

Thanks in advance