Clean install of Monterey total failure

george293

6 posts in this topic

Dear all, I have been singularly unable to install Monterey.
For your information I have:

Motherboard: Gigabyte H170-HD3, Socket H4 (LGA1151)
CPU: Skylake Core i5-6600 with integrated Intel GPU
2x SSDs, one with Windows 10 and Ubuntu (16), the other with macOS Catalina with Clover boot loader, and an HDD for data.
Keyboard: PS2 keyboard.
Wireless mouse.

Everything worked very well until I tried to upgrade Catalina to Monterey.
The direct upgrade from the Apple store didn’t work (as expected), so I decided for a clean install to USB with OpenCore 0.7.5 (debug version) boot loader.
I followed the Dortania OC Install guide to the letter for a Skylake CPU platform and iMac17,1 SMBIOS. 
Attached is the boot log output. Essentially, after the pick list is displayed and I select Install MacOS Monterey (External), the boot process starts and after a while and many lines of log text printed on the screen, ends suddenly with a black screen soon followed by a blue empty screen.
I tried many of the post-installation troubleshooting suggestions but the outcome is always the same.
I also tried the OC Configurator created config and the Gen x config but they got me nowhere.
Any help would be greatly appreciated and I will be happy to supply any additional info you require.

Thank you.
PS The config.plist passed the OCC validity test.

opencore-2021-11-15-223814.txt

18 hours ago, george293 said:

Dear all, I have been singularly unable to install Monterey.
For your information I have:

Motherboard: Gigabyte H170-HD3, Socket H4 (LGA1151)
CPU: Skylake Core i5-6600 with integrated Intel GPU
2x SSDs, one with Windows 10 and Ubuntu (16), the other with macOS Catalina with Clover boot loader, and an HDD for data.
Keyboard: PS2 keyboard.
Wireless mouse.

Everything worked very well until I tried to upgrade Catalina to Monterey.
The direct upgrade from the Apple store didn’t work (as expected), so I decided for a clean install to USB with OpenCore 0.7.5 (debug version) boot loader.
I followed the Dortania OC Install guide to the letter for a Skylake CPU platform and iMac17,1 SMBIOS. 
Attached is the boot log output. Essentially, after the pick list is displayed and I select Install MacOS Monterey (External), the boot process starts and after a while and many lines of log text printed on the screen, ends suddenly with a black screen soon followed by a blue empty screen.
I tried many of the post-installation troubleshooting suggestions but the outcome is always the same.
I also tried the OC Configurator created config and the Gen x config but they got me nowhere.
Any help would be greatly appreciated and I will be happy to supply any additional info you require.

Thank you.
PS The config.plist passed the OCC validity test.

opencore-2021-11-15-223814.txt 38.25 kB · 3 downloads

Although I don't have the exact MoBo but in in same Intel 100 Series (GA-B150M-DS3H) and use a different Intel CPU (i5-6500),and nVidia Sapphire GeForce GT 710 PCIE Graphics,  I have been able to install and run multiple OSes including macOSMonterey 12.1, macOSBigSur 11.6.1, Windows 11 Pro 64., Windows 10 Pro 64 and Ubuntu or Mint from separate 512GB SSDs but using the latest CLOVER 5142. I have not completely familiarized myself with OpenCore but so far I have been able to use CLOVER for 3 desktops with Multi-Disk_Multi-Boot Systems with the latest Macs, Windows and Linux distros on MoBs in intel 100,  200 and I can 300 Series all from Gigabyte. If you want to try again with CLOVER 5142 and need help, upload your 'failing Clover EFI" to take a look and suggest any help.

Monterey on GA-B150M_DS3H.png

Edited by cmn699
add an image

2 hours ago, cmn699 said:

Although I don't have the exact MoBo but in in same Intel 100 Series (GA-B150M-DS3H) and use a different Intel CPU (i5-6500),and nVidia Sapphire GeForce GT 710 PCIE Graphics,  I have been able to install and run multiple OSes including macOSMonterey 12.1, macOSBigSur 11.6.1, Windows 11 Pro 64., Windows 10 Pro 64 and Ubuntu or Mint from separate 512GB SSDs but using the latest CLOVER 5142. I have not completely familiarized myself with OpenCore but so far I have been able to use CLOVER for 3 desktops with Multi-Disk_Multi-Boot Systems with the latest Macs, Windows and Linux distros on MoBs in intel 100,  200 and I can 300 Series all from Gigabyte. If you want to try again with CLOVER 5142 and need help, upload your 'failing Clover EFI" to take a look and suggest any help.

Monterey on GA-B150M_DS3H.png

You dont have acceleration on that card so using your rig must be pretty horrible - i also have a gt 710 and used the oc patcher to post install patch the gfx drivers back in to gain full acceleration again. Once an update comes in i will need to repatch but its worth it as i need a discreet low profile gfx in this ageing rig.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mickeyd453 said:

You dont have acceleration on that card so using your rig must be pretty horrible - i also have a gt 710 and used the oc patcher to post install patch the gfx drivers back in to gain full acceleration again. Once an update comes in i will need to repatch but its worth it as i need a discreet low profile gfx in this ageing rig.

I appreciate and agree with your comments about my old nViidia GeF GT 710 in this old Rig that has been running OK for my experimentation with different OSes . 

10 hours ago, george293 said:

Thank you cmn699 for your suggestion to try CLOVER. I will give it a try again and let you know the outcome. I will be following the https://www.hackintoshshop.com/3262/hackintosh-monterey-guide/ (I tried once before but without success). I will be using the attached EFI (from the hackintoshshop site)

EFI Desktop SKYLAKE KABYLAKE.zip 3.46 MB · 1 download

I reviewed your EFI focussing on drivers and Kexts/Other folders. Many of your kexts are outdated and might be contributing if not causing the boot failure with the Installer. The uploaded screen capture will show a side by side comparison of my working Monterey on GA-B150M-DS3H/I%-6500/GT710  with your system for suggested modification of kexts and UEFI drivers in your upgraded Clover EFI ver 5142  (I am using that version) . I did not check your ACPI nor config.plist

EFI Comparison.png