No HDMI / DP audio devices on UHD 630

Idhor

18 posts in this topic

Hi all,

this is my first post, I've done some hackintosh in the past and now I'm giving it another try by using OpenCore with an iGPU only build on a MSI Z490 Tomahawk motherboard + i7 10700k (Comet Lake).

I was able to get everything working with Lilu + WEG + AppleALC and framebuffer 0x3E9B0007

I've had some minor headcaches on:

• no GPU acceleration (chrome hanging and everything disabled on chrome://gpu): I've discovered that it was trying to use a Kaby Lake driver and I've solved it by spoofing a device-id of a Coffee Lake CPU (0x3E9B)
  • no video output on HDMI port (DisplayPort working out of the box): solved by changing the bus id to 0x01
  • onboard audio: layout-id=11, doesn't work after a reboot from Windows

The only thing that I'm unable to get it working is the audio over DisplayPort / HDMI. 

I don't see the devices on the output list but if I connect BOTH ports they both appear as sound devices and they work!

Doesn't matter if I boot the system over HDMI or over DisplayPort, to be able to use the audio devices I need to connect both ports to working monitors...

I've attached an IOReg booting with only DP and another IOReg after the HDMI cable is also plugged in (a new codec device appears under HDEF / HDA controller).

Suggestions?

configplist-devices.thumb.jpg.09f3ed4050b9ffb0e624c0da8ba81436.jpg

ioreg.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/15/2020 at 5:29 PM, Idhor said:

Hi all,

this is my first post, I've done some hackintosh in the past and now I'm giving it another try by using OpenCore with an iGPU only build on a MSI Z490 Tomahawk motherboard + i7 10700k (Comet Lake).

I was able to get everything working with Lilu + WEG + AppleALC and framebuffer 0x3E9B0007

I've had some minor headcaches on:

• no GPU acceleration (chrome hanging and everything disabled on chrome://gpu): I've discovered that it was trying to use a Kaby Lake driver and I've solved it by spoofing a device-id of a Coffee Lake CPU (0x3E9B)
  • no video output on HDMI port (DisplayPort working out of the box): solved by changing the bus id to 0x01
  • onboard audio: layout-id=11, doesn't work after a reboot from Windows

The only thing that I'm unable to get it working is the audio over DisplayPort / HDMI. 

I don't see the devices on the output list but if I connect BOTH ports they both appear as sound devices and they work!

Doesn't matter if I boot the system over HDMI or over DisplayPort, to be able to use the audio devices I need to connect both ports to working monitors...

I've attached an IOReg booting with only DP and another IOReg after the HDMI cable is also plugged in (a new codec device appears under HDEF / HDA controller).

Suggestions?

configplist-devices.thumb.jpg.09f3ed4050b9ffb0e624c0da8ba81436.jpg

ioreg.zip

I have the same issue with UHD630 on cometlake. I get the HDMI/DP audio only when both are connected. Did you get to solve this issue?

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2021 at 6:40 PM, vineethrp said:

I have the same issue with UHD630 on cometlake. I get the HDMI/DP audio only when both are connected. Did you get to solve this issue?

I also have the exact same issue on my cometlake i9-10900T with UHD630. Audio only after both HDMI and DP are connected. It doesn't work if I connect DP after HDMI. Audio is detected only if both are connected at boot or if booted with DP and HDMI connected later. If booted with HDMI and then DP connected, no sound.

If anyone has found a solution please share :-)

On 11/28/2020 at 10:49 PM, centraljava said:

saw someone managed to fix audio problem, 
on another forum

Would be great if you could share a link to the post where the solution is mentioned. I searched but could not find any. Thanks

On 3/14/2021 at 5:49 AM, 1Revenger1 said:

I've seen some success by making sure the port type is HDMI rather than DP (link below)

I'd make sure you have AppleALC as well with Lilu.
https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/gpu-patching/intel-patching/connector.html

Thanks for pointing this out. I had followed all the details in this guide to get my HDMI display working. But only display got to work and unfortunately no HDMI audio. If you have both DP and HDMI connected then it works. 

I have a Gigabyte Z490M Gaming X with ALC1200, a 10700K processor with integrated UHD 630 and OpenCore as boot loader. I was in the similar situation: to not be able to get Audio working via DP connection without plugging the HDMI cable too.

I solved the issue by switching from AppleALC to Chris1111/VoodooHDA-OC

- I removed AppleALC from Kexts

- I removed any reference to ALCID from boot-args

- I removed all PCI Devices related to video or audio from DeviceProperties in config.plist

After that I installed VoodooHDA-OC

https://github.com/chris1111/VoodooHDA-OC

It is important to have SIP and Gatekeeper disabled to be able to install the getdump in usr/local/bin

This way I have audio working via DP connection, and all other audio ports: rear audio, front audio, mic in. So native macOS video and audio are used...

The downside is that I don't get my hack working only via HDMI cable, but is not important for me. If only HDMI cable is connected I don't have image on the screen. But, if the DP cable is plugged, the HDMI video is working too... So 2 monitors can be used, but the one connected to DP should be the main one.

To not forget: after each Apple update, VoodooHDA-OC must be reinstalled. I believe that after update the getdump file is removed

Edited by nei-k

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2021 at 1:03 AM, nei-k said:

I have a Gigabyte Z490M Gaming X with ALC1200, a 10700K processor with integrated UHD 630 and OpenCore as boot loader. I was in the similar situation: to not be able to get Audio working via DP connection without plugging the HDMI cable too.

I solved the issue by switching from AppleALC to Chris1111/VoodooHDA-OC

- I removed AppleALC from Kexts

- I removed any reference to ALCID from boot-args

- I removed all PCI Devices related to video or audio from DeviceProperties in config.plist

After that I installed VoodooHDA-OC

https://github.com/chris1111/VoodooHDA-OC

It is important to have SIP and Gatekeeper disabled to be able to install the getdump in usr/local/bin

This way I have audio working via DP connection, and all other audio ports: rear audio, front audio, mic in. So native macOS video and audio are used...

The downside is that I don't get my hack working only via HDMI cable, but is not important for me. If only HDMI cable is connected I don't have image on the screen. But, if the DP cable is plugged, the HDMI video is working too... So 2 monitors can be used, but the one connected to DP should be the main one.

To not forget: after each Apple update, VoodooHDA-OC must be reinstalled. I believe that after update the getdump file is removed

I still don't have hdmi audio. I didn't remove all video device properties though. that'll truly kill my dual displays lol.

but yes guys, chiming in with the same problem. need both for audio. strikingly odd

My motherboard is MSI Z490 carboon. Recently, I sold my RX590, using a 10700K core display. There is a very strange problem when using HDMI and DP dual screens. Dell U2718Q uses HMDI and DP alone sometimes to have audio output, sometimes not. AOC U277B is connected to HMDI and DP 100% audio output separately. However, AOC U277B connects to HDMI, Dell U2718Q connects to DP 100% audio output. Is this related to the display? Or is it another reason?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>model</key>
	<string>Intel UHD Graphics 630</string>
	<key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
	<data>BwCbPg==</data>
	<key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
	<string>Internal@0,2,0</string>
	<key>device_type</key>
	<string>Display controller</string>
	<key>hda-gfx</key>
	<string>onboard-2</string>
	<key>enable-hdmi-dividers-fix</key>
	<data>AQAAAA==</data>
	<key>enable-hdmi20</key>
	<data>AQAAAA==</data>
	<key>framebuffer-unifiedmem</key>
	<data>AAAAgA==</data>
	<key>framebuffer-con0-busid</key>
	<data>AQAAAA==</data>
	<key>framebuffer-con0-enable</key>
	<data>AQAAAA==</data>
	<key>framebuffer-con0-flags</key>
	<data>xwMAAA==</data>
	<key>framebuffer-con0-index</key>
	<data>AQAAAA==</data>
	<key>framebuffer-con0-pipe</key>
	<data>EgAAAA==</data>
	<key>framebuffer-con0-type</key>
	<data>AAgAAA==</data>
	<key>framebuffer-con1-busid</key>
	<data>BgAAAA==</data>
	<key>framebuffer-con1-enable</key>
	<data>AQAAAA==</data>
	<key>framebuffer-con1-flags</key>
	<data>xwMAAA==</data>
	<key>framebuffer-con1-index</key>
	<data>AgAAAA==</data>
	<key>framebuffer-con1-pipe</key>
	<data>EgAAAA==</data>
	<key>framebuffer-con1-type</key>
	<data>AAQAAA==</data>
	<key>framebuffer-con2-busid</key>
	<data>BAAAAA==</data>
	<key>framebuffer-con2-enable</key>
	<data>AQAAAA==</data>
	<key>framebuffer-con2-flags</key>
	<data>xwMAAA==</data>
	<key>framebuffer-con2-index</key>
	<data>AwAAAA==</data>
	<key>framebuffer-con2-pipe</key>
	<data>EgAAAA==</data>
	<key>framebuffer-con2-type</key>
	<data>AAQAAA==</data>
	<key>framebuffer-con3-busid</key>
	<data>AAAAAA==</data>
	<key>framebuffer-con3-enable</key>
	<data>AQAAAA==</data>
	<key>framebuffer-con3-flags</key>
	<data>IAAAAA==</data>
	<key>framebuffer-con3-index</key>
	<data>/////w==</data>
	<key>framebuffer-con3-pipe</key>
	<data>AAAAAA==</data>
	<key>framebuffer-con3-type</key>
	<data>AQAAAA==</data>
	<key>framebuffer-fbmem</key>
	<data>AAAAAA==</data>
	<key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
	<data>AQAAAA==</data>
</dict>
</plist>

1910689557_2021-03-311_46_05.png.84020499a173b360a2a0d28f53fb3aac.png

1884124580_2021-03-312_37_29.thumb.png.8e620c7cec5fc84e8281bc80b539b16f.png

• 5 weeks later...

After i Installed Big Sur 11.3 update i lost DP Audio since Chris1111 VoodooHDA-OC is no longer working for me. I found a solution on another forum:

- install AppleALC.kextFakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext in OC/Kexts

- add their entries in config.plist Kernel Section

- in config.plist Device Properties section add PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x3) section with flowing entries:

• hda-gfx | onboard-1 (string)
  • layout-id | 31000000 (data)
  • device-id | 709D0000 (data)

- in config.plist NVRAM section don't forget to add proper audio layout in boot-args section, using alcid=xxx (where xxx is the number corresponding to your Audio Codec).

Save config.plist and reboot to get HDMI Audio or DP Audio working on UHD 630

(Credits to @Lorys89 and @Jolly of MacOS86.it, @flicka of tmx86)

Working Intel UHD630 DP Audio.png

Edited by nei-k
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 4/29/2021 at 10:21 PM, nei-k said:

After i Installed Big Sur 11.3 update i lost DP Audio since Chris1111 VoodooHDA-OC is no longer working for me. I found a solution on another forum:

- install AppleALC.kextFakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext in OC/Kexts

- in config.plist Device Properties section add PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x3) section with flowing entries:

- in config.plist NVRAM section don't forget to add proper audio layout in boot-args section, using alcid=xxx (where xxx is the number corresponding to your Audio Codec).

could you share your config.plist here, and may i know what is value for IOPCIPrimaryMatch in the FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext  thanks

Edited by rorz

Hi @nei-k thanks but, I am confused.

You're injecting <key>layout-id</key> inside Device Properties and at the same time, you are adding alcid=1 ; but is this not negating one another?

I understand that our option to set the AppleALC needed layout-id is either via Device Properties injection OR via NVRAM boot-argument.

Are you sure this works without conflicts? Where are these values for layout-id and device-id coming from, please? I mean, which platform IDs? Which Realtek ALC codec?

Your Layout ID 31000000 hex = 49 decimal and Device ID 709D0000 is http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/8086/9d70 ? This is not Comet Lake cAVS per your naming convention :D

On my NUC 10th Generation that has UHD 630 (with OpenCore) for some reason FakePCIID.kext cannot load at all (triple checked) thus FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext is not activated...

Are you adding this device to enable FakePCIID+HDMI injector? Thanks

Edited by MacKonsti

alcid mentioned as boot-arg superspeeds layout-id's mentioned elswere.

Native Comet Lake device id is not recognized so we need to spoof another one (a Sky Lake one in this case) that being the reason for using device-id  709D0000.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2021 at 10:21 AM, nei-k said:

Thanks @nei-k

This guide HDMI sound work 10980HK

• 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Months and months later ........

So glad I found this, Ive been head banging for months wrestling with  no sound when booting to a single HDMI TV but when a Display port AND HDMI were connected the sound was OK.

Finally sound now works on a single HDMI TV connected to the HDMI on a Lenovo M70q running Monterey. I thank you very much NEI-K and Lorys89 for this.

• 3 months later...

FYI, this issue is fixed in the latest AppleALC release. (v1.7.2 - Update controller patch for 400 series 0x06C8 to fix HDMI audio)

HDMI and DP audio both work flawlessly now.

nei-k's method does work, but it uses a kext from a couple of years ago, and is kind of a hack, so I recommend you guys just use the newest AppleALC instead and get rid of those kexts.

On 2/19/2022 at 8:32 AM, Dirk_Digler said:

Months and months later ........

So glad I found this, Ive been head banging for months wrestling with  no sound when booting to a single HDMI TV but when a Display port AND HDMI were connected the sound was OK.

Finally sound now works on a single HDMI TV connected to the HDMI on a Lenovo M70q running Monterey. I thank you very much NEI-K and Lorys89 for this.

On 4/29/2021 at 10:21 PM, nei-k said:

On 1/20/2022 at 4:03 PM, lorys89 said:

for monterey hdmi/dp sound, use this kext version https://github.com/mbarbierato/OS-X-Fake-PCI-ID/releases/download/v1.3.16/All.FakePCIID.zip

the older version when used on monterey causes kp and crashes.

image.png

Edited by 王艺霖
typo