BootloaderChooser

Jief_Machak
98 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

It's not just about switching Clover/OC. It allows to have different OC folder. So when you need to modify your configuration, you can still have a working one, for example...

Can you show the correct EFI structure or Layout to run this tool ?

Because I can not boot it because of incorrect EFI struture I think.

5 minutes ago, jsl2000 said:

Can you show the correct EFI structure or Layout to run this tool ?

Because I can not boot it because of incorrect EFI struture I think.

More details, please. You can go to the text menu ? The one from the picture ?

3 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

More details, please. You can go to the text menu ? The one from the picture ?

I can not go to the text menu.

My EFI structure or layout is attached here:

Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 20.17.05.png

5 hours ago, Jief_Machak said:

ATTENTION : For people who can create "specific file boot entry" in their bios, remove all of them.

I think you didn't do that ? Your bios try to boot on a different file than EFI/BOOT/BootX64.efi ?

Because there no config file, no structure. Just boot on that file. If your bios allows custom boot file, you can put it anywhere, any name. If your bios can only configure boot on HDD, it should be in EFI/BOOT, named BootX64.efi. Exactly like you did.

I'm also thinking of a black screen because of EFI Console problems ?

Let's get back to the good old method : log file !!! Try this BootX64.efi.zip. Try to boot. Once at the black screen, reboot. You should have a BLC.log at the root (NOT in EFI/BOOT) of the partition.

Edited by Jief_Machak
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

I think you didn't do that ? Your bios try to boot on a different file than EFI/BOOT/BootX64.efi ?

Because there no config file, no structure. Just boot on that file. If your bios allows custom boot file, you can put it anywhere, any name. If your bios can only configure boot on HDD, it should be in EFI/BOOT, named BootX64.efi. Exactly like you did.

Let's get back to the good old method : log file !!! Try this BootX64.efi.zip. Try to boot. Once at the black screen, reboot. You should have a BLC.log at the root (NOT in EFI/BOOT) of the partition.

Hmmm. Interesting. I was wondering. I put the same file on another drive. It booted pretty well. Tell them how good you are in the world.:lol:

54 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

This new BootX64.efi can go to text menu and worked perfectly now after re-edit my EFI structure as following:

Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 21.47.54.png

Edited by jsl2000
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, mifjpn said:

Therefore, I could not choose from the second time onwards.

I know.

7 hours ago, Jief_Machak said:

The next times, you won't see the menu.  It'll immediately load the bootloader you chose before, without displaying a menu. You'll forgot it's even there !

I made it that way. Just keep a key pressed down when you boot.

This is not a bootloader that you should see at each boot. This is a test and emergency tool that allows to boot on a fallback OpenCore or Clover. It's also useful if you have a single EFI folder that contains Clover/OpenCore folders for different hacks. On a USB stick for example.

I have a usb stick with a lot of different Clover and OpenCore for different computers. Each time I change the USB stick from a computer to another, I boot with a key pressed, select the right bootloader for that computer and then forgot about it.

Just very efficient and useful.

1 hour ago, jsl2000 said:

This new BootX64.efi can go to text menu and worked perfectly now after re-edit my EFI structure as following:

I don't see the difference. Would have been interesting to have the log when it wasn't working. Maybe I have a dead loop in some cases...

• Thanks 1

@pico joe

Yes, I'm testing that the binary EFI you're trying to launch is a version that supports it.

Hope the message is pretty clear.

For Clover, it'll be soon integrated. Most likely from release 5124. Then all version will be "folder name independent". For OpenCore, well..., you'll still have to get the versions from here, as OpenCore decline the modification. But I'll keep up with OC versions. I'll make a "folder name independent" OpenCore each time they'll make a new version. Can also make intermediate version on request.

33 minutes ago, mifjpn said:

It's convenient because I only have to press a key when I want to boot with OpenCore occasionally.

And remember, you can also duplicate your Clover and OpenCore folders (before doing some modification), but you can also have more than one efi in a folder. For example, you can name your efi file, for example Clover-v5122.efi, Clover-5123.efi, Clover-testjief.efi in ONE Clover folder.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mifjpn said:

I understood what you said.

In that respect, I understood that the startup destination is fixed and useful.

In a normal situation,I do a fixed boot and press a key in an emergency.

@mifjpn I thought of what you said and change the BootloaderChooser a bit : now if you set a timeout, that value will be kept. It's more intuitive than overriding the value to 0 without saying !

EFI file updated in first post.

• Like 2

I'm not surprised OC does not want to have anything to do with this project. With Big Sur around the corner the focus is elsewhere, this feels like a sidetrack. Besides for most Hack is a working tool and once they have it working with any boot loader they want to forget about it and move on. Yes you can't quite do it yet, there is always a concern about upgrades. But there is certainly no need to boot you Hackintosh with 4 different boot loaders daily just for the sake of it.

• Like 3

@dziny Are you a developer ? Do you beta test Clover or OC ? You would certainly know that you'd need to boot a different version more than daily during this phase.

For basic user, it can save you to be locked out after an upgrade by having a backup folder.

What I don't understand is why do feel the need to take the time to write that you don't need that project? You don't need it, fine, leave it and go somewhere else.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

@dziny Are you a developer ? Do you beta test Clover or OC ? You would certainly know that you'd need to boot a different version more than daily during this phase.

For basic user, it can save you to be locked out after an upgrade by having a backup folder.

What I don't understand is why do feel the need to take the time to write that you don't need that project? You don't need it, fine, leave it and go somewhere else.

totally agree :wink_anim:

• Like 2

I don't like these offtopics and who feels the need to sign up and on the first post say what you don't need. If you think it's unnecessary, fine, then ignore it.
I would like to take some OC dev by ear and ask him some explanations, since it is so well documented, but I think it is inappropriate to do so, if they have an idea and pursue it, it suits me, then I decide whether or not to use their bootloader, and I do not waste time in unnecessary controversy and discussion.

Let's hope there's no other people to discuss the sex of angels or if the egg or the hen was born first.

End OT for me closed topic, I will not answer nor publicly nor privately about things that distract the time I dedicate to the hack

• Thanks 1

Thanks @chris1111 and @iCanaro.

10 minutes ago, iCanaro said:

I don't like these offtopics and who feels the need to sign up and on the first post say what you don't need. If you think it's unnecessary, fine, then ignore it.

You said it better than me :)

You're right. Next time I'll just ignore it (at least I'll try :hysterical:).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2