Open source cross-platform OpenCore Auxiliary Tools(OCAT)

ic005k
571 posts in this topic

Ok so doing it my way manually with nightly OC releases as long winded as it is, is the way for me at the moment until the OC Devs decides they have reached the end of tweaking/stabilising if that is possible with all the possible future releases of OS X. I still think OCAT is an awesome piece of kit for any user and I do use it each time I update OC, but not synchronising my files. 

@ic005k - I am not a developer so I can only imagine how time consuming this is for you, OCAT has certainly grown into a must have app from it's first introduction to now. I appreciate how dedicated you are to offer it to us and constantly trying to improve it's performance even though I guess some of our ideas/demands can be quite trying at times :angel: . For that your patience is commendable and we thank you.

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 5

Another stupid query - exactly where does OCAT pull the files from to update, is it online or what is embedded in the OCAT version Data Base. What if I remove those embedded files and replace them with Nightly OC version is that feasable?

@eSaF Thank you very much for your understanding. Development is a time consuming process, it takes up about 1/3 of my spare time, but again, it is really rewarding.
The later versions of OCAT will probably just stay on the stable version of OC and won't keep up with the development version of OC anymore, or keep up with the development version of OC on a regular basis to save time.

Edited by ic005k
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Another stupid query - exactly where does OCAT pull the files from to update, is it online or what is embedded in the OCAT version Data Base. What if I remove those embedded files and replace them with Nightly OC version is that feasable?

In OCAT's database, of course, night version of OC can be used instead of OC in the database, but it is not as direct and simple as copying directly to your EFI folder.

@eSaFIf you use the night version of OC, the easiest way is to directly copy the night version to your EFI folder. If you copy the night version of OC to OCAT database first, and then open OCAT for synchronization, then this operation is extremely redundant and unnecessary.

• Thanks 1

Another reason about OCAT not consistently following up on OC nightly releases, if OCAT and OC nightly releases were consistent, it would mean that OCAT would need to release a new version every day, which is very unrealistic and extremely unscientific.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't need to update OpenCore every day –  but I need to know which commit it is using!

So on one hand you now have an online updater for Kexts integrated in the sync window, but on the other hand you have OpenCore updates based on the database which is updated when? The plausible and reasonable  thing would be to connect OCAT with the OcenCore github to get the latest files online as well.

And as of now, me and everybody I know believes that OCAT gets OpenCore updates live from github as well – and there's no indication that it doesn't! That's a problem.

54 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

That's a problem.

This is indeed a problem and one that I have been wanting to try to solve. But it's not very good at solving it.
The reasons why OC does not currently use online updates are as follows.
1. If you download the latest development version from here: https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/actions   it doesn't support anonymous downloads, you have to log in to get it.
So to update OC online, you can only update the stable version, so there is not much practical significance.
2. The stable version of OC is only released once a month, OCAT can integrate it in the database completely, there is no need to use the online update method.
Note: I will not get the development version of OC from any other way.
So if you want to use the development version of OC, please don't get it through OCAT's way, it is lagging.

Edited by ic005k
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

but I need to know which commit it is using

This is easy to solve, when I release OCAT based on the OC development version in the future, it will be very simple to indicate which development version the OC comes from.

In fact, in the OC development version, my view is this, since you are able to follow up the OC development version and submit the problems in the OC development version, it means that you are a skilled OC user, you can get the OC development version by yourself through many ways, including compiling it yourself, etc.. So these are not problems, please do not dwell, thank you.

@5T33Z0 I'm very sorry, please don't ask any more questions about the development version of OC, I'm really not interested and don't want to answer more. If you have time, please consider what features of OCAT need to be enhanced or what bugs have been found, thanks.

I asked because your App provides files which influence the way my system operates!

Therefore I should be able to find out which OpenCore files are installed.

I can tell which versions of kexts are installed but I can't find out which OpenCore commit is installed!

Therefore it is your responsibility to provide users with the commit info. 

Don't worry, you won't hear from me. 

PS: Please write your own documentation for the app!

8 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

Please write your own documentation for the app!

I may not be able to do this for a while, as my personal time is very limited.
Although OCAT is designed to be so simple and clear that all users can use it almost without documentation, there are already enthusiastic users who are writing documentation for OCAT, such as 5T33Z0 from Germany, and we welcome more enthusiastic users to join in, thank you.
Please believe that in the future, OCAT will become more and more simple and smart.
Thank you for your feedback and more suggestions or questions are welcome.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ic005k said:

"[…] there are already enthusiastic users who are writing documentation for OCAT, such as 5T33Z0 from Germany, and we welcome more enthusiastic users to join in, thank you."

Yeah, well… that's me… I think you should take a rest…

2 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

Yeah, well… that's me… I think you should take a rest…

Oh, oh, I just answered the user's question in a hurry without paying attention to the author of the question, please forgive my rudeness and sorry again, please don't mind.
Generally, I'm just interested in the question itself and rarely pay attention to the author who asked the question, which is probably not a good habit, sorry.
Finally, thank you for your concern, I probably really do need a break, and as always, you are welcome to contribute to OCAT, thank you.
Also, I may not come here much in the future because I'm really busy, so if you have any questions, please post them directly to GitHub, please understand.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@ic005k

Feature suggestion: Add preset menus for:

• ACPI > Quirks
  • Booter > Quirks
  • Kernel > Quirks

With a preset menu for each section, it would be easy to create and share presets for various CPU models. This way, building a working config would become so easy.

Edited by 5T33Z0

Feature suggestion: please use a different identifier for the EFI disks rather than the Device name reported by the Firmware/BIOS.

OCAT:

927968623_Bildschirmfoto2021-12-09um18_54_55.png.ba6e7037adbd996de9144bcbf7df07f0.png

Clover Configurator:

1065537835_Bildschirmfoto2021-12-09um18_58_45.thumb.png.92813837f02f15d536c5a95b23b07f1c.png

In Clover Configurator I can easily see which EFI to mount because it shows the used macOS version as well.

Thanks

Edited by 5T33Z0

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, startergo said:

Should I change these addresses?

I don't think that's the problem because it's exactly like mine. Try deleting the app, clean the cache, reboot, clean NVRAM, boot to desktop and download and install the app again and see what result you get.

Screenshot 2021-12-28 at 7.38.50 pm.png

• Like 1