Open source cross-platform OpenCore Auxiliary Tools(OCAT)

ic005k
571 posts in this topic

On 11/4/2021 at 8:06 PM, 5T33Z0 said:

To make the GUI more intuitive, showing the currunt/available kext version could be really useful:

Very sorry, just saw this suggestion. Obviously, this is a very professional GUI suggestion, thanks.

HI @ic005k - Just updated to latest version and noticed a few icons and functions missing from the GUI is this intentional? You noted the GUI has been remodelled. I must amid I prefer the previous interface to this latest one and went back to the previous.

Spoiler

1140230421_Screenshot2021-11-07at11_44_47.thumb.png.cb7a9cbaa5a3d00036594365981c2bbf.png

27 minutes ago, eSaF said:

- Just updated to latest version and noticed a few icons and functions missing from the GUI is this intentional?

Yes, OCAT will undergo a relatively complete UI makeover, these features are not gone, they are still present in the main menu. Currently, the vast majority of users believe that the less frequently used buttons on the toolbar should be removed so that they don't cause problems for users new to OCAT, which previously had too many buttons and actually only 3 or 5 commonly used ones.
Sure, it's not the best UI solution yet, but it's a first step. Please believe that OCAT will become more and more simple, clear and easy to use. Thanks for your attention and feel free to listen to your suggestions, thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ic005k said:

these features are not gone, they are still present in the main menu.

I tried clicking on the Clock Icon (first Icon) that brings up a sub Menu but that's it, it leads me no where to the missing Icons or am I wrong in how to find the missing functions? IMHO by removing those Icons too much space is wasted in the Icon Header but as they say '.......different courses for different horses' :)

Still a great app and the best out there at the moment, looking forward to it's ever changing evolution. :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, eSaF said:

or am I wrong in how to find the missing functions?

The main menu of the App, which is the menu above the top bar, is the main menu to the right of the black apple in the upper left corner of the screen.

• Thanks 1

@ic005k I am really impressed how far this app has come compared to how it worked and looked a couple of months ago. It was a good decision to change the icons again and to remove a lot of non-essential features from the GUI!

45 minutes ago, ic005k said:

The main menu of the App, which is the menu above the top bar, is the main menu to the right of the black apple in the upper left corner of the screen.

Ok maybe I am missing something here if this new method is based on the preference of others. I have gone through the steps trying to emulate the ease of operation of the the previous edition and I must say that to me it is a bit convoluted compared to then one click icons operation before.

Spoiler

830096662_Screenshot2021-11-07at13_21_55.thumb.png.1ede014d2e4911a3962243b612239f92.png1289766734_Screenshot2021-11-07at13_23_50.thumb.png.405dd8d61e4eec679a2bb09890226811.png1899301145_Screenshot2021-11-07at13_27_20.thumb.png.18760eff47fff73a619df2e3ab38dfe5.png890855700_Screenshot2021-11-07at13_28_16.thumb.png.a7b16b42b6a0feb2f95a41b0ad82ecda.png

Edited by eSaF

Great job,  I'm enjoying using it 🙂  question the tool is constantly updated, by updating to version 0.7.6 if I wanted to validate a plist 0.7.5 I have no choice, I have to reinstall the version of the tool for 0.7.5, or there is a way to select the choice of the version by OC? Thanks

• Like 1

Ok I concede seeing 2 comments agreeing with the new concept, so with gracious acceptance it brings to mind a line from Spock as he logically and clearly dictates......'The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few'. :)

Spoiler

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, antuneddu said:

I have to reinstall the version of the tool for 0.7.5

Yes, this is the case for now. You can then choose to turn off "Automatic update checking" under the "Help" menu. If you have any good ideas, feel free to let me know, thanks.

8 minutes ago, ic005k said:

Yes, this is the case for now. You can then choose to turn off "Automatic update checking" under the "Help" menu. If you have any good ideas, feel free to let me know, thanks.

Yes, thank you, that's what I did in fact 👍

1 hour ago, 5T33Z0 said:

Feature Suggestion: copying/pasting entries from one config/window to another

This feature is available. But you pasted it in the wrong place, it should be in the same place. Source "Add" to target "Add".

@ic005k :D omg, Yes. sorry.

I have a question about Kext updates.

• If I click on "Check updates online" it downloads AND installs new kexts. But there is still the "Update" Button, but it is greyed out.
  • Example: Sync Windows says: SMCPRocessor.kext  is 1.2.7 in EFI, new is 1.2.8:1576849650_Bildschirmfoto2021-11-09um10_52_57.png.0ae935337aa2ad71a75a6b37a830effe.png
  • I can't press on Update.
  • If "Check Kexts updates online" only downloads the file, the Version in EFI folder should be 1.2.7. But the file is 1.2.8 after checking:
  • 319077344_Bildschirmfoto2021-11-09um10_53_40.png.831590ddf235dcab966efac1d80d622c.png
  • Suggestion: remove extra "Update" button. It is confusing.

26 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

If I click on "Check updates online" it downloads AND installs new kexts.

No, it just checks and does not install new kexts. the "Update" button is used to install new kexts.
In other words, the previous "One Click Update" is broken down into two steps.
1. Check for updates
2. Install the update ("Update" button).
The advantage of this is that there are many users who just want to check for updates and then decide whether to install them.
Also, if you check for updates, but you don't want to install the new kexts right now, you can wait until you want to install them and click the "Start Sync" button, which will install the previously downloaded kexts into your EFI.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

SMCPRocessor.kext  is 1.2.7 in EFI, new is 1.2.8

This is actually quite understandable.
Current: is the kext you are currently using
Available: is the kext that can be used to update
The version numbers listed in the table are the version numbers of the kext currently in use.
If there is an update, the entry will be marked red and then two version numbers will be displayed, one current and one available (updatable).

• Like 3

@ic005k Hi - Sorry if this has been asked before and I missed it. Am I correct in assuming when using OCAT to update my EFI Folder and or my config.plist it will only update to the general OC release and not the nightly latest version and if I did use the synchronise function it would revert my nightly OC version to the general release version or would it ignore the nightly version as it would be more newer than the general release one? The reason I am asking, I am in the habit of constantly updating my EFI Folder to the nightly OC versions (living on the edge you can say :)) but I tend to do it all by hand not using OCAT but I do use OCAT to check for errors but never to synchronise as I am afraid it will revert my fresh settings to the last official OC release. Sorry for the long winded query but I'd be interested in your reply. Thanks.

@eSaF Quite the opposite. It wll ALWAY update config to the latest available build in the ACTION section. Same goes for syncing OpenCore files. That's why I have been asking for an option to switch between the Release and Nightly tree for quite a while now.

15 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

That's why I have been asking for an option to switch between the Release and Nightly tree for quite a while now.

This switch does not make any sense, for us users, you can hardly see the actual effect brought by the daily update of OC, because OC is already stable enough.

@ic005k I oppose: for troubleshooting and reporting issues to the devs, you need to know which build you are using.  If you are using the release build, you know which commit it is. If you use the latest nightly release, you know which commit it is. But the way OCAT handles it now, you never know which it is: "while OCAT only updates OC periodically". THIS makes no sense. I am currently having issues with opencore I need to fix. Make it either use the "Release" builds or the "llatest" commit but not just something in between which I cannot identify.