[pre-release] macOS Big Sur

3,698 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Riley Freeman said:

Are you deleting/disabling APFS snapshots? That caused the delta update to fail for me when going from B1 to B2. After that I left the snapshots alone and updates work fine.

If you run softwareupdate from the Terminal (sudo softwareupdate --verbose -ida) it should show any errors.

Thanks for the advise, the cli command showed the error - no snapshots.

I reinstalled B4 full and than it worked with incremental to B5

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, meaganmargaret said:

So, interesting.......my experience with the latest beta (core version 20A5354i) was the reverse of my experiences with the previous beta.  I downloaded the latest OC and compiled it, and also used Hackintool to get the latest kexts.

My X299 upgraded very easily.  I did not touch the snapshots because I wanted to upgrade from the App store in the usual way and it worked.  It was fine, and it was easy.

But not for the Z370, which had been very easy in the past.  After trying through the App store, which didn't work, I created a USB installer, and upgraded that way.  4 hours later, it finally did upgrade, but not without several reboots (more than four).  No issues with trim, btw, and 10G ethernet is fine with the same patch as used in Beta 4.

Same here with Z390 Aorus Master: Beta 5 is the worst beta I have installed. Because Update failed, I also created a USB installer, and upgraded that way.  4-5 hours later the finder is appeared :whistle: Big Sur seems to be longest to boot. I rebooted few times, the finder is too long to run. Always, Preboot in OC Picker instead of my HD name (of course).

I hope the next beta will be better :)

@meaganmargaret can you share your 10G ethernet patch. Please.

27 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

Same here with Z390 Aorus Master: Beta 5 is the worst beta I have installed. Because Update failed, I also created a USB installer, and upgraded that way.  4-5 hours later the finder is appeared :whistle: Big Sur seems to be longest to boot. I rebooted few times, the finder is too long to run. Always, Preboot in OC Picker instead of my HD name (of course).

@Matgen84 - Hi bro sorry to hear you had such a hard time with Beta5, the experience on my pro wifi board was a lot easier done with the inbuilt updater/installer which took roughly an hour or so from start to finish. The only glitch was the 'Preboot' named disk which I was able to resolve, apart from that all was well. This is the thing I find with this edition of OS X reading the various posts, even similar or near enough specs will have a slight difference with installation, now is that how we individually set up our EFI Folder/config.plist or is it how we compile OC or the kexts perhaps lacking in uniformity for every different chipset as per the  Dortania Installation Guide? You would logically think by faithfully applying the steps in the guide for your particular board's chipset, installation would not pose the problems reported here.

• Like 1

Smoothly update on Hp4540s with last kext and OpenCore release, only with AirportBrcmFixup 2.0.9 crash my wifi card BCM4352, I downgraded to 2.0.8 version and all work well.

Anyone had experience with dual boot Windows and Big Sur with HP Probook 4540s.

18 minutes ago, feartech said:

не понимаю, что вы имеете в виду, но этот кекст должен помочь

Sorry for my english, I mean the kext didn't help.

2 hours ago, Антико said:

Still trying to install Big Sur, now 5 beta)). Now this error occurs, can anyone help? The search didn't yield any results.

MVIMG_20200821_213700_compress1.jpg

Simple. You need correct SSDT-EC. Big Sur is unforgiving when it comes to ACPI tables and EC.

6 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

I have also Z390 Aorus Master and it was 20 min update.

4 hours ago, mick3lson said:

Smoothly update on Hp4540s with last kext and OpenCore release, only with AirportBrcmFixup 2.0.9 crash my wifi card BCM4352, I downgraded to 2.0.8 version and all work well.

Anyone had experience with dual boot Windows and Big Sur with HP Probook 4540s.

Hi, I have Hp4540s on BS B5. Since Sierra, dual boot windows. For AirportBrcmFixup on BCM4352 disable in config.plist AirPortBrcm4360_Injector.kext. Tell me please, after wake up, your microphone work?

Although I managed to update to BS Beta5 relatively easy, I decided to see if I could spoof my old equipment as a 2020 iMac Model and here is the result on a test disk still under Beta4. At the moment I am still debating whether I should change the Beta5 version I am currently running to this new SmBIOS as I have not fully tested what is ok and what isn't with the 2020 model.

Spoiler

200839593_Screenshot2020-08-21at22_42_16.thumb.png.81ec5fa960b7b46b9f549a7bcde14761.png

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Антико said:

Sorry for my english, I mean the kext didn't help.

I understood your joke perfectly :hysterical:. The game is not over. Your english is fine ;)

Edited by Ellybz
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Антико said:

I can load config.plist no earlier than Monday, since I am no longer at home.  As you correctly pointed out, ssdt-ec did not help.

That's o.k.. I'm trying to look at any config.plist from anyone's x99, but so far only 1 has said they run Big Sur and their efi is no help. I'll keep trying and asking until we get it.

4 hours ago, jmacie said:

you said that to me too on my x99 I made a fresh SSDT-ec and it changed nothing. Here's my dsdt, maybe you can hook me up and I'll fix Антико's

DSDT.aml

There are few apps on Windows which allow you to do that. Just google “extract dsdt.aml” and follow the instructions. Can you PM me your machine’s fresh dsdt.aml?

4 hours ago, jmacie said:
Edited by d5aqoep

One more fresh install macOS BS Beta 5, and all is well, except an greyed monitor brightness slider...

I'm the only one with this, or anyone out there has the same problem ?...

This fresh install was to see if I could make an fresh install after downloading an full copy of macOS BS beta 5... and it worked 30 - 45 m and 4 reboots and it's done...

Captura de ecrã 2020-08-22, às 01.39.28.png

Captura de ecrã 2020-08-22, às 01.39.50.png

Edited by MorenoAv
  • Like 4