[pre-release] macOS Big Sur

3,698 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, matgeo said:

Is there any way to download the full installer for Big Sur beta 5 for clean usb installation ?

Use command

open macappstores://itunes.apple.com/app/id1497794093

4 hours ago, jmacie said:

Jesus man, I've been hackintoshing since snow leopard. I know what I'm doing mostly. I have Big Sur on another computer in my house. I am trying to install off of a usb installer. In order for me to update off of preferences I would have to get a lower beta version first. I can't get it installed either way.All I'm asking for is the name of someone here who knows someone who can look at my kernel panic that I posted and give me an idea of what I might do. I'm not a noob

Do you use FakePCIID or any similar fake hardware extensions by any chance? The last kernel extension loaded is the Apple PCI one, and that comes into mind. No clue if it is or not, but worth a shot.

1 hour ago, Alex HQuest said:

Do you use FakePCIID or any similar fake hardware extensions by any chance? The last kernel extension loaded is the Apple PCI one, and that comes into mind. No clue if it is or not, but worth a shot.

Yes I use a cpuid, I'm able to boot Catalina. All my kexts and OC up to date. Thanks this is painful, for sure

@D-an-W First screen could be related to AvoidRuntimeDefrag, DevirtualiseMmio, EnableWriteUnprotector or RebuildAppleMemoryMap, all under Booter > Quirks. Even while OC guide suggests EnableWriteUnprotector as NO by default, one of my devices only works if this is set to YES.

For the second screen, check the file order - Lilu.kext should usually be the very first injected extension.

4 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

I can't finish to update Beta 4 to Beta 5. Big Sur reboot loop on macOS Installer stage...

Spoiler

1.jpg

Your error message seems to be occurring during the "ramrod" installation phase.  Just a few suggestions

• Start with clean slate (maybe insufficient disk space, NVRAM issue?):  Erase target partition, reset NVRAM from OC menu
  • Maybe try installing to different disk (is your target internal or external HD?  Maybe slow response from external HD target?)
  • Maybe try FakeSMC?  Although personally, I had no issues with VirtualSMC and did not need to use vsmcgen=1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Alex HQuest said:

@D-an-W First screen could be related to AvoidRuntimeDefrag, DevirtualiseMmio, EnableWriteUnprotector or RebuildAppleMemoryMap, all under Booter > Quirks. Even while OC guide suggests EnableWriteUnprotector as NO by default, one of my devices only works if this is set to YES.

For the second screen, check the file order - Lilu.kext should usually be the very first injected extension.

Many thanks, this is how I currently have it set (Worked ok up until Beta 5)...

Spoiler

270492896_Screenshot2020-08-20at23_09_36.png.a6d2ca6447db58a714db81cd9316c70d.png

Lilu.kext is my item0 too.

anyone here has try Public Beta 2, looking on the web I found an information about.

today apple has released second public beta.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/08/20/apple-releases-macos-big-sur-public-beta-2/

anyone here has try Public Beta 2, looking on the web I found an information about.

today apple has released second public beta.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/08/20/apple-releases-macos-big-sur-public-beta-2/

9 hours ago, Common_Sense said:

I noticed in Big Sur beta 5 that trim on my SSDs is no longer supported even though it was in beta 4, running "sudo trimforce enable" in the terminal does not help even though the command always worked before.

Anyone else have noticed this?

I am using regular Samsung sata SSDs and intel Z87 chipset. I do get generic sata in system profiler but it was like that in beta 4 as well and it seems to be only cosmetic as the capabilities of the SATA controller seems to be correctly reported.

In opencore, you can add Trim enable kext patch. Opencore Configurator has it available in drop down list. Kernel -> Patch

• Like 1

After the Apple logo is displayed and the loading bar goes for a while, the screen flashes when the IGPU is initialized and beta 5 boots as a screen black. I can use VNC right away and I see the login screen is there - but this ain’t necessary to recover: I close and open the lid and the image shows up.

No sleep issues, no other hiccups, straight upgrade from Beta 4, just this pretty random behavior.

Using today’s sources of OC.

• Like 1

Might be of interest to some https://mrmacintosh.com/whats-new-in-macos-big-sur-11-beta-5-20a5354i/

credits to the site owner

Patch Notes of Interest

• 1. macOS Big Sur 11 beta 5 is not currently supported for iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020). If you encounter an installation issue on iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020), you need to reinstall macOS Catalina. Hold down the power button to force restart, and then press Command-R immediately after turning on your Mac. Then, follow instructions
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

This Beta 5 is causing painful SMB3 transfer speeds (1-2 MBps) from my QNAP NAS to my PC while using Intel I225-V Ethernet. This ethernet chipset is dumpster fire anyway but it was working ok in previous beta.

But I can transfer from my PC to NAS at full speeds though. 

Edited by d5aqoep

Well I’ve had the same problem on beta 1, 2,3,4, and 5 - the installer doesn’t finish and crashes. Tried a lot of things, I can install Big Sur from VMware method or restore method but not native from USB. 

But my system does have a quirk in that NVRAM doesn’t work in OC properly. 

Asus Z97k, i5 4460, RX560

Edited by Synaesthesia

7 hours ago, fusion71au said:

Your error message seems to be occurring during the "ramrod" installation phase.  Just a few suggestions

• Start with clean slate (maybe insufficient disk space, NVRAM issue?):  Erase target partition, reset NVRAM from OC menu
  • Maybe try installing to different disk (is your target internal or external HD?  Maybe slow response from external HD target?)
  • Maybe try FakeSMC?  Although personally, I had no issues with VirtualSMC and did not need to use vsmcgen=1

Thanks for your help. @fusion71au I follow your instructions to update to Beta 5.

I forgot to tell you that my Big Sur  is installed on a external disk. I don't remove Snapshot after fresh install of Big Sur Beta 4. 

Is it mandatory to remove Snapshot to update with a full Installer from Application folder? In the future, I've to delete snapshot each time after complete clean install.

Hello! My Hackintosh can't boot Big Sur beta 5 with the latest OC 0.6.1 & kexts.

but it can boot Big Sur beta 4 & recovery correctly.

Anybody have ideas to fix this error?

The specs of my Hackintosh:

CPU: i7-7700K
GPU: AMD-R9 270X 2GB
MainBoard: ASUS PRIME Z270-A (BIOS: 1302)

IMG_2519.thumb.jpeg.af0173ac824a1be1d4fe7a6cdf8eb7d0.jpeg

EFI.zip

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

I forgot to tell you that my Big Sur  is installed on a external disk. I don't remove Snapshot after fresh install of Big Sur Beta 4. 

Is it mandatory to remove Snapshot to update with a full Installer from Application folder? In the future, I've to delete snapshot each time after complete clean install.

No, it's not necessary to remove APFS snapshots.  Just make sure you have sufficient disk space before the upgrade (at least 18GB or more free space).

From your screenshot, it says "an error occurred waiting for the device's internal storage" so it might make a difference if you erase the current Big Sur volume and try again or perform a clean install to a different (maybe internal) disk + reset NVRAM.

Good Luck :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, verleihnix said:

The incremental update does not load. It starts but it stops very early.

I always have to download the full installer. Same with Beta 5.

Is there a discuss about that?

Are you deleting/disabling APFS snapshots? That caused the delta update to fail for me when going from B1 to B2. After that I left the snapshots alone and updates work fine.

If you run softwareupdate from the Terminal (sudo softwareupdate --verbose -ida) it should show any errors.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fusion71au said:

No, it's not necessary to remove APFS snapshots.  Just make sure you have sufficient disk space before the upgrade (at least 18GB or more free space).

From your screenshot, it says "an error occurred waiting for the device's internal storage" so it might make a difference if you erase the current Big Sur volume and try again or perform a clean install to a different (maybe internal) disk + reset NVRAM.

Good Luck :)

Thanks again :) I perform a Beta 5 clean install at this time always on my external USB disk 1TB. There is only Big Sur, on this test drive. Unfortunately, I don't have a spare internal disk.
Since Beta 1, a fresh install take about 5 hours :cry: I think that USB ports speed aren't well recognize during installation and after when it's finish, maybe.