[pre-release] macOS Big Sur

3,698 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, matgeo said:

Is there any way to download the full installer for Big Sur beta 5 for clean usb installation ?

You can use the @crazybirdy's script or use the following link to download the full installer.

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/60/31/001-36806-A_B85TYDOSMI/sode5v0ps0767kq54klqanh09mrcted2kw/InstallAssistant.pkg

1 hour ago, htanh034 said:

Not work for me. Tks! :)

Which build version of OpenCore are you using?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mork vom Ork said:

no matter what I do: I never got update for Big Sur within "Software Updates". Not from beta 1 to beta 2, beta 2 to beta 3, beta 3 to beta 4 or now from beta 4 to beta 5.

Always have to download full installer within Mac app store and have to do a complete clean install.

what's wrong with my system? running on ASUS x299 SAGE/10G with latest openCore 0.61 and latest compiled kexts with Pavos OCBuilder Tool.

You have to have the beta profile installed for the update to show up. 

9 hours ago, jmacie said:

@Max.1974 The problem is not the video card I use that opencore 0.6.0 efi to boot into Catalina

Are you try install upgrade from System Preferences? So nice that not was a problem...

6 minutes ago, Max.1974 said:

Are you try install upgrade from System Preferences? So nice that not was a problem...

Jesus man, I've been hackintoshing since snow leopard. I know what I'm doing mostly. I have Big Sur on another computer in my house. I am trying to install off of a usb installer. In order for me to update off of preferences I would have to get a lower beta version first. I can't get it installed either way.All I'm asking for is the name of someone here who knows someone who can look at my kernel panic that I posted and give me an idea of what I might do. I'm not a noob

Edited by jmacie
  • Like 1

I noticed in Big Sur beta 5 that trim on my SSDs is no longer supported even though it was in beta 4, running "sudo trimforce enable" in the terminal does not help even though the command always worked before.

Anyone else have noticed this?

I am using regular Samsung sata SSDs and intel Z87 chipset. I do get generic sata in system profiler but it was like that in beta 4 as well and it seems to be only cosmetic as the capabilities of the SATA controller seems to be correctly reported.

1 hour ago, jmacie said:

Jesus man, I've been hackintoshing since snow leopard. I know what I'm doing mostly. I have Big Sur on another computer in my house. I am trying to install off of a usb installer. In order for me to update off of preferences I would have to get a lower beta version first. I can't get it installed either way.All I'm asking for is the name of someone here who knows someone who can look at my kernel panic that I posted and give me an idea of what I might do. I'm not a noob

Sorry too, im not know about everything...and everybody, just try help based on my experience. 

Edited by Max.1974
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Max.1974 said:

Sorry too, im not know about everything...and everybody, just try help based on my experience. 

I just hope @vector sigma @slice and Jeif get clover for BigSur or many will be left out in the cold. Opencore is not easy to configure for everyone. I had a hard time on two machines and that took six weeks of trying and begging to get Catalina installed. I do appreciate you're attempt to help take care johnm

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Common_Sense said:

I noticed in Big Sur beta 5 that trim on my SSDs is no longer supported even though it was in beta 4, running "sudo trimforce enable" in the terminal does not help even though the command always worked before.

I am using regular Samsung sata SSDs and intel Z87 chipset. I do get generic sata in system profiler but it was like that in beta 4 as well and it seems to be only cosmetic as the capabilities of the SATA controller seems to be correctly reported.

Try adding https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Install-Guide/blob/master/extra-files/CtlnaAHCIPort.kext.zip

Hi All users

I can't finish to update Beta 4 to Beta 5. Big Sur reboot loop on macOS Installer stage. This time, I use @fusion71au method copy/past Instal Big Sur Beta.app in Application and run it. 

Opencore 0.6.1 latest, Lilu and Kexts latest commits, vsmcgen=1 as boot-args

Please if somebody know why ! Below the only photo I can take before reboot loop.

Beta 4 boot normally

1.jpg

Edited by Matgen84
  • Like 1

Hi guys. I' ve two questions (problems).

1) After several... so many tries I maybe finally get to work PM, I bought a device that measures consumption of the whole system. I follow the guide on dorthania site and create my own ssdts (with my "luck" my system was one of the special cases because the EC has the _STA method, windows can recognize the path of the EC... and other things). I put them in ACPI folder and reboot. Pc working fine, I have better temp and lower freq than before. The whole system (i5 4690, PSU 550w, 2x8 RAM, RX580, wifi card apple with adapter, 3 ssd, 1 hdd, 4 ultra low fan and other usb dongles) in idle take 48w and 60-65 when doing some tasks like internet browsing or watch a full hd movie on TV+. Geekbench score are in average.

But, it is my question. in IOREG I can't see "plugin-type" on CPU0. I suspect that something don't work properly.

I post a screen of intel power gadget when the cpu was in idle for the most time.

1094102434_Schermata2020-08-20alle19_14_19.thumb.png.1bb2276c124fabd274dabf3606e00a61.png 

2) I can't install Big Sur Beta 5 update. I update OpenCore to 0.6.1 and than launch the update. My system reboot right after the progress bar and the apple logo appears.

Edited by Sbrillo

I know it doesn't help those that can't install Beta 5 (I'm sure someone will be along soon to help!) but for me the update from within Beta 4 worked first time.

This evening I am going to build an updated installer and try a fresh install of Beta 5 also.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Common_Sense said:

Works since im run "sudo trimforce enable" command in Catalina. Im not need re-enable again...all my machines with hack.

Captura de Tela 2020-08-20 às 14.53.35.png

1 hour ago, Matgen84 said:

Hi All users

I can't finish to update Beta 4 to Beta 5. Big Sur reboot loop on macOS Installer stage. This time, I use @fusion71au method copy/past Instal Big Sur Beta.app in Application and run it. 

Opencore 0.6.1 latest, Lilu and Kexts latest commits, vsmcgen=1 as boot-args

Please if somebody know why ! Below the only photo I can take before reboot loop.

Beta 4 boot normally

Seems like you install Beta 4 twice, so try delete all Snapshot first, re-enable SIP (im think its not necessary) and try again without others HDs/SSds with another systems. Use only one EFi. Good Luck. ;) 

24 minutes ago, Max.1974 said:

Works since im run "sudo trimforce enable" command in Catalina. Im not need re-enable again...all my machines with hack.

Captura de Tela 2020-08-20 às 14.53.35.png

My bad, it seems what trimforce does is to add a NVRAM variable called EnableTRIM and I did clear my NVRAM after that so it disappeared.

Thanks for checking :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Common_Sense said:

My bad, it seems what trimforce does is to add a NVRAM variable called EnableTRIM and I did clear my NVRAM after that so it disappeared.

Thanks for checking :)

Also reporting that Beta 5 apparently disables TRIM in regular SATA SSDs.

My NVMe drive reports as TRIM enabled in System Profiler.

Maybe its just a bug in this build?

9 minutes ago, PropoFlexWX4 said:

Also reporting that Beta 5 apparently disables TRIM in regular SATA SSDs.

My NVMe drive reports as TRIM enabled in System Profiler.

Maybe its just a bug in this build?

For me trim is now enabled on my sata SSD drives, as long as I have EnableTRIM declared in NVRAM. I have now declared it in OpenCore config.plist so that I don't have to re-run the trimforce terminal command every time I clear my NVRAM.

Trying a fresh install of Beta 5, I can't get it to boot after the first reboot of the installer it just reboots when selecting the Preboot partition.

I will update all my kexts and OC then try again (They are all fairly new though).

21 hours ago, Mork vom Ork said:

no matter what I do: I never got update for Big Sur within "Software Updates". Not from beta 1 to beta 2, beta 2 to beta 3, beta 3 to beta 4 or now from beta 4 to beta 5.

Always have to download full installer within Mac app store and have to do a complete clean install.

what's wrong with my system? running on ASUS x299 SAGE/10G with latest openCore 0.61 and latest compiled kexts with Pavos OCBuilder Tool.

Try to re-enroll your system with

sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Seeding.framework/Resources/seedutil enrolled DeveloperSeed

I was on the same boat. This fixed for me.