[pre-release] macOS Big Sur

3,698 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, meaganmargaret said:

I think I solved my own problem.  I was re-purposing an old USB install disk, and it had an EFI on it that was new, but I think it was actually interfered.

So, I removed that EFI, formatted the USB disk as a HPFS disk, and re-used my script (that has worked before) and this time it worked.  Only after I knew it was booting did I add the EFI.

However, I never had to do this before, and even after this when I installed on a fixed disk, it didn't take the first time and I had to reboot and install yet again.  Now it appears to be working and installing.

All I can say is that each of these D-betas has been a challenge and each one seems to present surprises and install challenges that I haven't seen before.

this error come from where ?

System space / Volume Free Space: need 20.0 GB .......... Free space less than 20 GB .. suggest to stop downloading.

6 minutes ago, corint1 said:

with any methods used for download big sur beta 4 result no media usb installer ... 

Everything you will possibly need to download BS and make a USB installer is in the folder I posted for you, I don't understand your difficulty somehow.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Everything you will possibly need to download BS and make a USB installer is in the folder I posted for you, I don't understand your difficulty somehow.

yes ...it is make , but dont install ...boot , see screen with install, disk utility , etc etc ...when want to install , freeze few sec and show a window " this media is demaged ...can not install ..ok " and out ... in first screen 

• Sad 1

Ok This is my take - I just made a clean vanilla install from a USB Drive, the entire install took 50 minutes from start to reach the Desktop, as before the named Disk was changed to Preboot but I expect that to change in due course. Without rebooting at this stage, the BS Disk showed up in Startup Disk Panel as it should but on rebooting the glitching appeared, I figured the reason for this is the fact because that volume is not mounted at boot up and only shows up when another OS X Disk is on line in the machine or when you use Hackintool or some other to physically mount the disk as shown in the pic then the Disk will show in System Preferences/Startup Disk. My conclusion is this is a Bug although some claimed to have remedied the glitch but that leaves me to wonder if that claim was before rebooting the machine to insure the glitching is definitely not there.

Spoiler

1063286326_Screenshot2020-08-05at13_05_29.png.f005db1d9f55d42efdf9354af06e68ef.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, corint1 said:

yes ...it is make , but dont install ...boot , see screen with install, disk utility , etc etc ...when want to install , freeze few sec and show a window " this media is demaged ...can not install ..ok " and out ... in first screen 

Then you're doing something wrong. I just use the same method to download and make my USB installer and done a clean install. When the process is done, you need to drag and drop BS app to the Application Folder then follow the enclosed instructions how to install to the USB, like I said everything is there for you.

Hi @fusion71au

I've a question: for Beta 3, I follow your instructions to remove Snapshot. The fact that Snapshot is removed, does it have to do with the fact that I cannot install only the Beta 4 update. Full installer is required by Software Updater on my Big Sur system.

Spoiler

1.thumb.jpg.e1bf54be2bae342eb73191661f0b6e57.jpg

3 hours ago, corint1 said:

a link for download full pack beta 4 ? 

You need choose one from script. But im 99% sure that you be successes downloaded with Catalina or another macOs, because in BS its crash...

Run in Terminal: 

curl -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/munki/macadmin-scripts/main/installinstallmacos.py && sudo /usr/bin/python installinstallmacos.py --raw --seedprogram DeveloperSeed

• Like 2

Hello guys, just for notice, im been used this command for create a "USB install" from BS. 

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume 

Don't forget to change the rename your device usb to MyVolume or change final script to    .../<yourdevicename> 

Edited by Max.1974
  • Like 3

@Matgen84 - I should imagine since you altered the structure of Beta3 by removing the Seal from the volume (Snapshot) you cannot now update only will allow a clean and full install and probably have to go through the whole process again if you want to remove Snapshot from Beta4. Quite frankly I think it's too much of a hassle having to do that each time for every update/upgrade.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, eSaF said:

@Matgen84 - I should imagine since you altered the structure of Beta3 by removing the Seal from the volume (Snapshot) you cannot now update only will allow a clean and full install and probably have to go through the whole process again if you want to remove Snapshot from Beta4. Quite frankly I think it's too much of a hassle having to do that each time for every update/upgrade.

You are absolutely right @eSaF its too much smooth and better update, but im notice that im get 100% fine when not deleted snapshot. Especially when im use my real Mac. :yes: Good morning /  evening at all...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eSaF said:

These are the tools I used to download full app - with instructions to make USB installer - Read the Instructions carefully to d/load the correct OS X version as there will be multiple ones. Good luck

PS - You need to run the app in Terminal.

installScript_1016fullapp.zip

You have a direct Link AppleServer here

macOS Big Sur Beta 4.zip  12.3 Gig

Edited by chris1111
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, eSaF said:

17 minutes ago, Max.1974 said:

You are absolutely right @eSaF its too much smooth and better update, but im notice that im get 100% fine when not deleted snapshot. Especially when im use my real Mac. :yes: Good morning /  evening at all...

@eSaF @Max.1974 You two confirm what I thought. I read somewhere macOS  Big Sur create Snapshot for each update without remove the previous one. This is a new procedure because on Catalina, the apfs did not create a snapshot. The challenge is to know how to manage them properly for the future. I hope that the release will not use this automatic process: one snapshot at each installation. :)

• Like 3

@eSaF not targeted specifically to you but anyone who actually "clean installs from USB": you guys do realize you can use the "Recovery" partition to clean install your system with the existing OS version (including the beta number you have deployed), if you delete the existing system and data partitions, right? Unless you wipe the entire disk, installing from USB is the same as deleting the APFS volume and installing from the recovery, except on a slower speed.

• Like 4

@Alex HQuest - Good call, actually I used that method with the first Beta as a test as someone queried whether the Recovery Partition was in operation and I did a test to report that in fact it was after enabling APFS Hotplug in the config.plist, but I completely forgot so thanks for that. Glad to know someone is on the ball. :lol:

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

@eSaF I read also that real Mac users who have a small disk, are worried about their disk filling up with these snapshots.

A snapshot does not "fill up" any more than regular file storage would. All that it does it creating a point in time where you save the differences on a separate file, so the original ones are untouched. Which, on Apple's creative use of it, increases the security and reliability of their system: by not storing permanent changes on the core OS files, you increase security in the event a malware or PUP tries to add itself into the OS, and also makes a dead/non-working OS less likely to happen, as your core OS files are all RO by default.

I honestly do not see why one would not want to make use of it more often. I do understand the need to remove it to get some custom made fixes, but for daily operations, it is a no-brainer not to.

Edited by Alex HQuest
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, eSaF said:

Then you're doing something wrong. I just use the same method to download and make my USB installer and done a clean install. When the process is done, you need to drag and drop BS app to the Application Folder then follow the enclosed instructions how to install to the USB, like I said everything is there for you.

error is present , but it is working ... you have right , some bugs from my usb drive maybe ... in final I have a fresh install ... :)))

Edited by corint1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Badruzeus said:

Oh, guessing I'm still able to do Beta 4 ComboUpdate from 1st Beta even after /Volumes/Update was removed from APFS Container. Not sure why this Volume is exist (?)

@Badruzeus You remove Update Volume, Right. But you keep the snapshot (see Terminal windows): this is the reason you can combo/update Big Sur from Beta 1. Not me :)

• Like 1

so, I updated to beta 4 without problem. 

Finally, I have some time to spend to getting work power management. Cpu temp are a little be lower than before (maybe because it's not hot outside like a week ago (40° C)).

So, I tried to follow the official guide to create my custom ssdt. Used cpufriendfriend command and insert the value of TDP-down frequency, 800mhz for my cpu, so 08 in hex. And this is what I've got and it's not similar to the guide. I have only one frequency. and this go from 000 mhz to 800 mhz. No other step.

What a strange problem. I checked, my ssdt-plug is enabled form config.plist and in place in folder. In ioReg I have "plugin-type 0x1".

Can you help me?

Schermata 2020-08-05 alle 16.13.39.png

Edited by Sbrillo

14 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

@Badruzeus You remove Update Volume, Right. But you keep the snapshot (see Terminal windows): this is the reason you can combo/update Big Sur from Beta 1. Not me :)

Yes, I did. But once Software Update came after pushing the seed; this /Volumes/Update is back again :P LOL. I remember have removed both Snapshot & Update volumes previously, or.. might be I used wrong method including Terminal command from Recovery, so.. the changes were not permanent.

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 21.17.48.jpg

Edited by Badruzeus
  • Like 1