[pre-release] macOS Big Sur

3,698 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Stefanalmare said:

Can you elaborate, please!

14 hours ago, ludox said:
Yes how do I finish testing, currently it has been tested with beta 6, now I'm updating with beta 9, I hope it works too.

Beta 9 will probably have bugs, the wifi connection with AR9565 that worked perfectly with beta 6 has connection problems.
I'll try to understand what the cause is and resolve.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Matgen84 said:

For now with the latest beta of Big Sur,  Apple's APFS replication utility is not working correctly with the Signed System Volume. As a result, ASR-created copies of the System volume are not bootable. Apple was not able to resolve that before shipping Big Sur, but CCC is working with Apple to resolve these issues. 

In the interim, you can install macOS Big Sur onto your APFS-formatted CCC backup volume if you would like to make it bootable. 

Yes, tested that with beta 6, unfortunately ist didn‘t work. Lots of APFS errors after installing it over the ccc backup. Guess ccc screwed up the file system. But haven‘t tried it since, maybe they fixed that already.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, macinsane said:

Yes, tested that with beta 6, unfortunately ist didn‘t work. Lots of APFS errors after installing it over the ccc backup. Guess ccc screwed up the file system. But haven‘t tried it since, maybe they fixed that already.

I think we have to wait for the next version of CCC for Big Sur. Apple will have corrected its problems, and the clones will again be bootable normally.

hi @fusion71au sorry to distrub you

I modification IO80211Family.kext (the idea came from CtlnaAHCIPort.kext) so we don't need to touch /S/L/E just inject via OpenCore

I throw atheros40 from PlugIns (cause I didn't know how to inject multi folder in OC,  LOL)

here is the kext HS80211Family.zip

I need your experience to try and make sure the kext is running well or maybe you can made it perfectly .. thank you for help

my test :

1. boot from recovery , kext is load and internet is running 

2. fresh install Big SUr beta 9  

Spoiler

1764044344_ScreenShot2020-10-09at13_56_51.thumb.png.a2fe66b2c16ab8e1147587eb3a88d049.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, pico joe said:

I modification IO80211Family.kext (the idea came from CtlnaAHCIPort.kext) so we don't need to touch /S/L/E just inject via OpenCore

I throw atheros40 from PlugIns (cause I didn't know how to inject multi folder in OC,  LOL)

I need your experience to try and make sure the kext is running well or maybe you can made it perfectly .. thank you for help

my test :

Reveal hidden contents

Working on Beta 9 with AR5B91

Screenshot 2020-10-09 at 10.51.10.png

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, pico joe said:

Reveal hidden contents

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c17464ef1b1b51c71764044344_ScreenShot2020-10-09at13_56_51.thumb.png.a2fe66b2c16ab8e1147587eb3a88d049.png

Works well on my legacy desktop GAP55aUd3 with Atheros wifi card on already installed Big Sur Beta6.  OC 0.6.2 booting off original sealed APFS snapshot...

Spoiler

1076942873_GAP55aUD3BigSurAtherosWifi.thumb.png.99b2f901e23859f64dc74a331d24be4b.png

Thanks + Well done :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 9:09 AM, pico joe said:

my test :

Reveal hidden contents

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c17464ef1b1b51c71764044344_ScreenShot2020-10-09at13_56_51.thumb.png.a2fe66b2c16ab8e1147587eb3a88d049.png

Nice work! Could you make similar solution for Broadcom wi-fi cards dropped in Big Sur (802.11 a/b/g/n) based on Mojave/Catalina 80211Family.kext? It could be very useful for patching old Macs (for ex 2012) using OpenCore with vanilla S/L/E.

On 10/9/2020 at 9:09 AM, pico joe said:

my test :

Reveal hidden contents

Just enter the identifier in the .plist, in my case 168c, 2b.
It works perfectly, only the indicator on the top bar does not show more than a low signal but it works perfectly and just as fast as my Gigabyte ethernet, thanks for your work

• Like 1

Hello everyone
To activate my Atheros AR9565 Wifi card on Big Sur, I adopted this procedure with a few instructions on the terminal without going to recovery and leaving the system clean and unaltered as much as possible using the Clover 5123
Finally I attach 2 kexts.

first you need to copy the "AtherosWiFiInjector" kext into the Clover EFI kexts/11  folder

Start Big Sur normal with Clover 5123

open the terminal

sudo mount -uw / ; killall Finder

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

open /System/Library/Extensions/

Copy replace the kext to be already patched
in my case Atheros AR9565 "IO80211Family.kext" then proceed to repair the permissions

sudo -s

chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/

kmutil install --update-all

kcditto

Reboot the system

NB: you can use the same procedure to activate your WiFi cards of another model as well.

Atheros.zip

• Like 5

Hi @ludox, can u show me in terminal diskutil apfs list , I wanna see your Snapshot Sealed is broken or no, thanks

if you dont mind, you can try modified kext for atheros AR9565 ini downloand section some reported in CLover not work, in OpenCore it's worked and we don't  need to touch /S/L/E so the Snapshot Sealed not broken (with sealed broken cannot OTA update #cmiiw)

Edited by pico joe

54 minutes ago, pico joe said:

Hi @ludox, can u show me in terminal diskutil apfs list , I wanna see your Snapshot Sealed is broken or no, thanks

if you dont mind, you can try modified kext for atheros AR9565 ini downloand section some reported in CLover not work, in OpenCore it's worked and we don't  need to touch /S/L/E so the Snapshot Sealed not broken (with sealed broken cannot OTA update #cmiiw)

good morning
A clarification, the notebook has been formatted and installed directly with the beta 9, so there is no breaking of the snapshots, no cancellation of the same, no recovery, only it is simply what I have already written above.
The attached kexts are the same ones I use with the clover 5122 with Catalina.

Schermata 2020-10-11 alle 08.53.20.png

54 minutes ago, pico joe said:

• Like 2

Interesting it's mean Clover has a different approach, but sorry just for make sure, can u show the result diskutil apfs list 

here is mine (opencore, SIP enabled, csr-active-config    %10%00%00%00)

APFS Volume Disk (Role):   disk5s5 (System)
        Name:                      BigSur (Case-insensitive)
        Mount Point:               Not Mounted
        Capacity Consumed:         15002271744 B (15.0 GB)
        Sealed:                    Broken
        FileVault:                 No
        |
        Snapshot:                  57F4DA5D-08D6-4762-BE29-28A7FA4078C5
        Snapshot Disk:             disk5s5s1
        Snapshot Mount Point:      /
        Snapshot Sealed:           Yes

Volume disk5s5 90B7B28D-27FD-4E4E-9909-2A57F55EF831
        ---------------------------------------------------
        APFS Volume Disk (Role):   disk5s5 (System)
        Name:                      BIGSUR (Case-insensitive)
        Mount Point:               /
        Capacity Consumed:         15917318144 B (15.9 GB)
        Sealed:                    Broken
        FileVault:                 No

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jake Lo said:

Hi @pico joe,

Can you create one that includes plugin AirPortBrcm4331.kext for devices that's been dropped like BCM4322 (14e4:432b)?

Try this MO80211Family.kext.zip based on Mojave, I uploaded full kext n plugin you can choose which what you needed

and don't forget inject that in your config.plist, in your case maybe MO80211Family & AirPortBrcm4311

Edited by pico joe
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2020 at 8:12 AM, pico joe said:

With the Clover the kexts in question ( HS80211Family.kext & AirPortAtheros40.kext  ) the startup of Big Sur is blocked.
On which version of Opencore have they been tested and which work?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ludox said:

With the Clover the kexts in question ( HS80211Family.kext & AirPortAtheros40.kext  ) the startup of Big Sur is blocked.

With Clover_OC Integration, need to delete HS80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IO80211NetBooter.kext to fix this problem.

No such issue when using HS80211Family.kext with OC 0.6.2 and Big Sur (unless you add the plugin kext to config.plist/Kernel/Add and enable its loading).

3 minutes ago, pico joe said:

@fusion71au so is safe to remove IO80211NetBooter ? and not related with atheros in the same version

Yes, wifi was still working here after deleting the plugin kext :).

Edited by fusion71au
extra question
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, fusion71au said:

With Clover_OC Integration, need to delete HS80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IO80211NetBooter.kext to fix this problem.

No such issue when using HS80211Family.kext with OC 0.6.2 and Big Sur (unless you add the plugin kext to config.plist/Kernel/Add and enable its loading).

@fusion71au so is safe to remove IO80211NetBooter ? and not related with atheros in the same version

31 minutes ago, ludox said:

thank for you effort to try, according the fusion71au said remove IO80211NetBooter can solve the issue, anyway thanks for help that make me clear, I'm editing in download section and removing IO80211NetBooter from plugin

• Like 1