[pre-release] macOS Big Sur

3,698 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, dehjomz said:

Any one else had to downgrade from beta7 to beta6 first, so that the installer would work via system update? On beta7, system update says it needs to download full installer, but full installer is BETA6, not BETA8. hahahaha. Gotta love bugs.

I had the same thing happen and I changed my config settings for securebootmodel to disabled from default and I was able to download the incremental update to beta 8 successfully.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Fordski said:

I had the same thing happen and I changed my config settings for securebootmodel to disabled from default and I was able to download the incremental update to beta 8 successfully.

Kool.  I'm going to disable that... seems that OC developers still have some work to do.

1 hour ago, PropoFlexWX4 said:

20A5364e is Beta 6. If you look at Software Update in System Preferences, you'll find Beta 8 there waiting to be downloaded.

I made a mistake. but I had to do a fish install from a usb which was. the last beta (I thought it was beta 8 I had made.) .

managed to update just to beta 8 but it took along time. got there in the end

1308622012_Screenshot2020-09-22at13_57_59.png.8679d89ae49307ef7118df4d516fe3a7.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fordski said:

The ability to install with securebootmodel disabled was first introduced on Beta 7:

Resolved in macOS Big Sur 11 beta 7
  • You can now update macOS Big Sur 11 beta 7, if Secure Boot is set to No Security. (63434409)

At one of my devices, I found that after I updated to Beta 7, the boot volume wasn't a snapshot anymore, so the installer couldn't update the system. Which is interesting, as I have not removed the snapshot from any of my devices, regardless of being alternative or real Apple hardware. I decided to go clean install route so I cannot check this theory, but as you described, disabling the securebootmodel could also pave a way to bypass the snapshot volume requirement during OS upgrades.

• Like 3

@Alex HQuest My discovery also. At first the update only offered a full update which I realised would revert to Beta7 even though I forced it to the choice of Beta 8 (2.34 GB) but a message flashed up saying only the full install was available. So what I did was follow the recommended method of changing SecureBootModel to Disabled, cleaned NVRAM reboot then the incremental update to Beta 8 was made available to download. At this stage I feel the marriage of OC and BS is not quite in harmony as both are still in the development stage so nothing is uniformed or straight forward as yet, not that I am complaining just an observation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Alex HQuest said:

@eSaF I see that as quite the opposite: had the Acidanthera team not delivered a Secure Boot solution, we would be stuck without the ability to install any beta updates until beta 7. It is amazing they are following Apple that close and we should be very thankful for their efforts.

Yea - Like I said, just my observation - different folks, different flavours. :lol:

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, eSaF said:

@Alex HQuest My discovery also. At first the update only offered a full update which I realised would revert to Beta7 even though I forced it to the choice of Beta 8 (2.34 GB) but a message flashed up saying only the full install was available. So what I did was follow the recommended method of changing SecureBootModel to Disabled, cleaned NVRAM reboot then the incremental update to Beta 8 was made available to download. At this stage I feel the marriage of OC and BS is not quite in harmony as both are still in the development stage so nothing is uniformed or straight forward as yet, not that I am complaining just an observation.

I was just about to perform a full install until I saw your post.

Edited by Blu24
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, bisdak4920 said:

Make disk Read and Write now works same in Catalina.

i don't understand make disk read&write in catalina it is possible to show big sur partition in catalina without deleting snapshot&sealed