[pre-release] macOS Big Sur

3,698 posts in this topic

@iCanaro - My friend I salute you. Thank you, thank you

Spoiler

224883170_Screenshot2020-09-18at10_57_53.png.dfecfb20332222f5fa2e83040be07bc3.png431773711_Screenshot2020-09-18at11_27_19.png.c582e305be8281b94f016117fd4d5f90.png

for pointing me in the direction of that little Gem. You saved me from waiting for a stand alone installation of the GM or the Official Release of BS. I have included proof of the process here so thanks again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I’ll try again when I get home, maybe I’ll get lucky if not I’ll reinstall beta 6 again.

SIP is disabled and I’ve tried all the tools.

After getting home the update showed up but was painfully slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Pavo I can't build OpenCore because new version of clang

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/lib/clang/11.0.3/include/stdint.h

But 

ls /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/lib/clang/                       

26 minutes ago, MorenoAv said:

Hi @chris1111, it's my Gigabyte Z390 I Aorus Pro ...

It's the same on my Z390 Pro wifi so you're not alone, still feel that feature is more pertaining to laptops but not absolutely sure about that, it never worked in the previous BS Betas or I never took any notice whether it was working or not. Somehow I don't think this update is sitting right on my system because in the previous I had the clock, the Day, Month and the Date but now this is all I can get to show as in the pic, plus no extra time zones like before in 'System Preferences/Date &Time'.

Spoiler

2040109747_Screenshot2020-09-18at21_18_54.png.54e8f9f15fe8ae692330d95afbc2ef17.png1182559506_Screenshot2020-09-18at21_26_47.png.5f3a96261a1f97e6ea79cf5390d87ec4.png

Edited by eSaF
Add info

Hi @eSaF

The last time my brightness slider worked was in BS beta 2, after that stopped working...

If the Apple wanted that function to work only in laptops why keeping it in desktops version? 

In relation with the date and time, I had that problem too, and I solved it with disable the set date and time  automatically and set that by hand after that it start to work normally...

Edited by MorenoAv
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MorenoAv said:

Hi @eSaF

The last time my brightness slider worked was in BS beta 2, after that stopped working...

In relation with the date and time, I had that problem too, and I solved it with disable the set date and time  automatically and set that by hand after that it start to work normally...

Ok - Come to think of it, I had to do something like that in one of the Betas so will try it again, thanks.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

Software update shows the update but the full installer script still only picks up dp6

Yeah, the full installer is not yet available for Beta7, only a 3.61GB delta upgrade from Beta6 to Beta7 via Preferences/Software Update.

This "Over The Air" update is currently available for developer seed members only.  Can check/change current enrollment with cvad’s app (thanks @iCanaro, @eSaF for heads up :))...

Spoiler

2115716381_BigSurBeta7OTAupdate.thumb.png.c1551e547e2e262c9dbdaf0cf25c361a.png

Some notes for the OTA update on my Skylake NUC6i5SYH (system1 in signature):

• Used OC 0.6.2 with latest Acidanthera kexts but OC ver 0.6.0+ should also work
  • OTA update requires booting off a sealed APFS snapshot to complete successfully
  • OTA update does not necessarily require SIP enabled.  Can be on or off (I have SIP disabled so my USB wifi works)
  • Downloads update files to folder /System/Library/AssetsV2/com_apple_MobileAsset_MacSoftwareUpdate/9d85cf3c0dcbe1e8b5982adb56be75cea27b6827.asset/AssetData (not /Library/Updates like in Mojave, Catalina)
  • “Preparing Updates”  phase took about 30 min to extract files —> 3 reboots where system snapshot resealed, then boot to completed/updated system

Menu bar clock settings removed completely from System Preferences/Date & Time in Beta 7 :thumbsdown_anim:

Spoiler

998004207_DateTimePreferences.png.cd4bdc55058e0759ff5f49417a668959.png

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, fusion71au said:

OTA update requires booting off a sealed APFS snapshot to complete successfully

@fusion71au

I have deleted all snapshots as per your guide but now I can’t update through OTA because macOS complains about not being booted from a sealed snapshot.

I tried to bless my /Volume/Big_Sur in recovery but it didn’t solved the issue.

Any idea to fix that?

• Like 1

@fusion71au - 'Menu bar clock settings removed completely from System Preferences/Date & Time in Beta 7' - Yea I thought something was wrong with my install seeing the Clock Settings all messed up like that which made me do two reinstalls as it was not like that in the previous Beta, plus the extreme difficulty in obtaining the update. It seems to me that Apple is really struggling to get this OS together, they'll fix something and break what was working before, seriously not impress with this update. Hopefully they will sort the mess out by the time the GM is released. :no:

@MorenoAv @eSaF you know, I’m pretty surprised this desktop mobo had the ALS0 device. Disabling it should also get rid of the automatic light sensor kext and the associated SMC functions controlling the slider. Perhaps an alternative would be to leave the ALS0 device active (aka revert the changes I did for you Moreno) and deploy the SMC plug-ins - in particular the SMCLightSensor.

Give that a shot.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Donw35 said:

clock settings are in Dock and Menu Bar

What about the Date/Month not showing in menu bar like the previous Beta only time and day?

PS. This is what I had with the last Beta, notice the setting in the menu bar which is no longer there on my rig.

Spoiler

2004299693_ScreenShot2020-09-17at19_09_47pm.thumb.png.49bb2b3a1768a64bd22813051e6a4b45.png.897f837761abf9665d2060bcf9e883c2.png

Edited by eSaF